Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

June 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. fuzzypeaches

clementine / 950 posts

@LindsayInNY: that's amazing! She's still a new one so it takes apparently up to 6 wks to get day and night straight!

@badwolf: I've struggled with clogged ducts a lot what usually works for me is a warm (not too hot) shower or warm compress and massaging the clogged part right before nursing. Sometimes it takes a few times - I've been known to shower 5x a day when it's really bad lol.

It's been better with this LO but with my DS I ended up taking lecithin supplements to prevent clogs which really helped!

2. MrsBrewer

coconut / 8854 posts

@rpparker: @badwolf: @LindsayInNY: yay for breast shields!! I'm using one too and it's so helpful!!

3. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@fuzzypeaches: I started lecithin supplements last week. I read about possible changes in LO's stool but I haven't seen any. Did you notice any with your LO?

I had several clogs with LO1 and had several during engorgement this time. I think having almost any bra band has been causing it. I've switched to just wearing ribbed tanks with breast pads at home and that seemed to help a lot. Hopefully this week I can get back to no wire bras and nursing tanks since the inlaws are coming.

4. hocuspocus

apricot / 373 posts

Happy fourth everyone!

5. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

@LindsayInNY: DD loves to be sideways. We call it the "football" hold!

6. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

@fuzzypeaches: Welcome! We're changing with every feed. DD pees a TON and I'm pretty sure she would pee through the diapers if we didn't change with every feed! We're down to pooping once every 30-36 hours though so most of them are usually just wet.

@rosegold: DD hates to be put in her car seat but once she is there, she is usually pretty happy. We have a 6 hour drive next week though so that will be the real test of how she likes her car seat!

@badwolf: ugh! I've dealt with mastitis and multiple clogged ducts. It sucks!

7. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

I am so over pumping at this point! I'm dealing with my 2nd round of mastitis in just 5 weeks and this miserableness is just not worth it! It puts me in worse pain than my c-section recovery and I run a 103+ degree fever (which is 5.5-6 degrees above my "normal") which means I'm pretty much worthless.

Obviously I need to get this mastitis healed first but can any of the second time moms advise on how to wean (while hopefully avoiding the mastitis and blocked ducts I seem to be prone to)?

8. just_ju

cherry / 195 posts

@MrsBrewer: @rpparker: @badwolf: @LindsayInNY: Also in the breast shield/boob hat club I'm thankful that it helps me nurse, but it also annoys the crap out of me - especially at 3 am when I just want to sleep! I've tried a bunch of tips and tricks and watched YouTube videos ... hopefully I'll get it figured out (or I can wean this stubborn boy off of it)!

9. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@hocuspocus: aww, so cute!!!

Here are my two...

I can't believe how big these kids are getting! H is over 11 lbs now and 22"!

10. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@Mrs.KMM: After the mastitis is gone, you might start trying to gradually drop pumping sessions, (going longer in between sessions). I have heard cabbage leaves on your breasts (!!!) actually help. There's also a tea you could try... Something like, "No more milk". Or could take an antihistamine, since they tend to decrease supply. Maybe Google? Or try Kellymom.com - it is a well respected site with great into on breastfeeding (and I assume weaning). Sorry I'm not more helpful. My first daughter weaned on her own around 11 months as my supply was getting lower and lower. I think because my supply was already low, I had zero issues with engorgement.

Oh! I just remembered, if you do get engorged, you could try submerging your breasts in warm water. If the milk does not automatically come out, you can hand express a little. For some reason, that's not supposed to cause your body to make more milk.

11. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

Hope everyone had a good fourth!

12. MamaB

cherry / 234 posts

Love seeing all your cuties! Happy 4th from Miss M!

13. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

Add me to the breast shield club! It saves me from cracked and bloody nipples but it makes for a PITA when I'm not home and how messy it can get.

14. fuzzypeaches

clementine / 950 posts

@Corduroy: I thought perhaps his poo was slightly more runny, but nothing major! I also switched to regular tanks with nursing pads at night until things settled down a bit. At 1 month pp (!!!) things are good now but with Lo1 it took about 8 weeks!
    @Mrs.KMM: omg mastitis is the worst. I had it twice with LO1 during the early days and once 3 weeks after I weaned him at 8 months! I know it's so horrible but it will get better - I wanted to give up so many times but the weaning risk of mastitis again scared me so much I just kept going lol.
    When I did eventually wean, I dropped one feed every week until I was down to just night time. If you are pumping, I imagine I would just pump slightly less with feeds (going very slowly) until it's low enough that you can handle skipping some pumping sessions! Do you have access to a lactation consultant? They helped me so much when I was really struggling with all this! I know how terrible it is - I was actually nervous and terrified to get pregnant again because of the emgorgement/mastitis more than labor.

15. fuzzypeaches

clementine / 950 posts

Also - such cute 4th babies!!!! Love the outfits

16. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

Here's my little firework! Unfortunately still mostly fussy and sleepy so not the best pics...

17. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

@MrsBrewer: I've been away for a few days, so I went back and read the thread. You're crazy, but not crazy on the NTNP at 6 weeks! I say not crazy because you go ahead and get the hard part over with! I really wanted two, but with M having colic, now I'm thinking one and done. And if we wait until she's 3, and sleeping again I don't think we will go for #2. I think I would be okay with just one, but I have a brother whom is my best friend. And of course, I don't want her to be lonely. With that being said, we may start trying at her one year birthday*sigh*. I was also birderline pcos, and we had just started testing with the RE when I got pregnant.

18. MrsBrewer

coconut / 8854 posts

Here's my 4th of July cutie!

19. MrsBrewer

coconut / 8854 posts

@dc yoga bee: it's not totally set in stone yet. I'm going to talk to my midwife about it at my 6 week check up. If she recommends I give my body more time I might wait just a bit.

20. just_ju

cherry / 195 posts

My little patriotic sweetie. So many little cuties in their red, white and blue!!

21. rpparker

apricot / 363 posts

So total mom fail...I didn't even have a 4th of July outfit for my LO!

22. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@rpparker: i didn't have one for either of my kids

23. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@MrsBrewer: did you have a c section?

24. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@dc yoga bee: she is so beautiful! You make such cute babies, you've got to have more! Jk, but I think its one of those things that can totally change over time.

25. MrsBrewer

coconut / 8854 posts

@Ash: no I had a vaginal birth. I just wasn't sure if you have to give your body more time inbetween pregnancies

26. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@MrsBrewer: ooooo! I think it's best to give your body time to heal (especially for the baby) but see what your midwife says, definitely.

27. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

@78h2o: Lol thanks! Everyone keeps saying that. She just looks at you with those eyes that say, "mommy I can do no wrong!!"

@MrsBrewer: @Ash: I've read so many different articles saying give your body 12 months, give your body 18 months in between pregnancies, etc.. It's crazy how varied medical opinions are! I think as long as your provider gives you the okay you're good!!!

28. hocuspocus

apricot / 373 posts

Okay something magical happened last night...E slept from 9:45 pm- 6:00 am! I was up checking on her to make sure she was okay, but I hope this lasts!!

29. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@hocuspocus: My LO had a magical night too! I was surprised, because even though I took her to the fireworks, she slept in the Ergo the whole time, so it's not like she had sleep to catch up on! I think I nursed around 11pm and she didn't wake up until 4:45. Actually, she didn't wake up even... I woke her up because I happened to wake up at that time and I could see her stirring a little bit! I would love it if that continued! How old is your LO now?

30. hocuspocus

apricot / 373 posts

@78h2o it was so nice! I could seriously get used to it. We had a busy day yesterday but she still napped quite a bit too so idk what the deal was lol. she turned a month old yesterday.

31. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@hocuspocus: Ugh. We were up from 1-5 a.m. today (eating). Sigh. I'm really hoping sleep improves. We seem to be in a growth spurt (I hope that's the explanation...) I just end up with little energy for my toddler. Awesome for your little one, though!

32. MrsBrewer

coconut / 8854 posts

@78h2o: @hocuspocus: Wow!! Last night must have been the night of awesome sleepers.....Jana slept from 10 till 4 last night!!!

33. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@hocuspocus: @78h2o: @MrsBrewer: ugh so jealous. W still wakes up every 2-3 hours to eat. Still waiting for at least one night where he sleeps longer.

34. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

What's normal for PP bleeding? Like, how long should I be expecting it to last? Does it depend on how bad tearing was? I'm over these pads!

35. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@LindsayInNY: my bleeding was still heavyish until 2w pp And I was using the thick pads. I used thinner liners after. I stopped bleeding around week 4. I still have to use them because of other discharge. I also had tearing, but not sure how much it affects the bleeding.

36. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@LindsayInNY: I am 5w2d pp and still having some bleeding...it's though most times, just requiring a liner. I can't remember when it stopped for me with my first, but I think it was shortly after the 6w checkup? I remember talking about it there.

37. MrsBrewer

coconut / 8854 posts

So question for second time moms. When do babies get to be a bit more interactive? Also should I be providing stimulation/entertainment with toys or anything yet??

38. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

@Eko: Yeah I would call it moderate maybe? I'm using 3-4 pads a day (am, mid-day and pm). I had a 3rd degree tear so I don't know if that's to blame or being "active" during the day or what.

@78h2o: Ugh I'm dreading that if it continues! I literally have just enough butt covering underwear too lol.

39. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@LindsayInNY: hope you're healing well! I'm 3 weeks pp and finally less painful! And my bleeding is just starting to slow down to scant as well. You can expect some kind of discharge for 6 weeks.

40. MrsBrewer

coconut / 8854 posts

@LindsayInNY: I'm 4.5 weeks postpartum, and I'm using just liners now for the last 2 weeks. Bleeding has pretty much stopped now and is just spotting now. It's more of I'm really active during the day. I had a 2nd degree tear

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee