Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

June 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@LindsayInNY: I did notice that the more active i was the more I bled but it wasn't a lot more. I used the same amount of pads you are.

@MrsBrewer: I'm not sure when they get more active. Right now I just work on tummy time, I read to W, and sometimes wave little stuffed toys in front of him to see if he's interested. While W is not overaly engaging, I have noticed this little stuffed animal he seems to be more interested then other and tries to grab it.

2. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

I love all the cute 4th of July pictures!

3. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

@78h2o: and @fuzzypeaches: Thanks for the tips! The mastitis is finally feeling mostly better today. Thankfully! But I am still 100% sure I'm going to start weaning off pumping and switch to only feeding formula. Pumping just isn't working for me and if mama is stressed and unhappy, it isn't good for anyone.

4. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@MrsBrewer: I'd say 3/4 months they become more interactive. Right now: tummy time, reading, talking, face time, and simple black-and-white images are ideal.

5. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

@Eko: Okay, good to know. Sounds like it's just a sloooow process of stopping!

When is a good time to start tummy time? I haven't asked the pediatrician yet but since we practically live there I will next visit. Speaking of, anyone's pediatrician do a lot of follow up weight checks for LO? And when are BF babies typically put on vitamin D? She already had us starting, just wasn't sure if it was normal this early or not.

6. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

M was showing signs of distress and pain, so I took her in this morning. As soon as doctor walked in and beards the screaming, and I told her I had just finished nursing she said its classic GERD/reflux, and a bad case of it. She prescribed maximum dose of Zantac. And lo has stopped gaining enough weight

7. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@LindsayInNY: I started doing tummy time almost right away. I typically though do it with W on my chest then on the ground as he prefers to see me. Also my doctors do a weight check at every appointment and I was given the vitamin D drops right away too. I only had one extra follow up appointment because W lost a lot of weight in the beginning but quickly got back up to his birth weight so the extra appoinents stopped.

@dc yoga bee: poor LO! Hopefully though she starts getting some relief!

@Mrs.KMM: I also have a feeling I going to be weaning the pumping soon. Definitely an unhappy mama is not good for anyone!

8. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@MrsBrewer: I don't really remember! I know Julia started smiling at 4w on the nose, but Holly is 5.5w isn't really smiling yet. I see some smiles here and there, but I can't tell yet if they are purposeful. I remember around the 2-3m mark J was sucking on her hands and feet, reaching for things, and imitating me a little bit (i.e., she would stick out her tongue if I did). Right now I am just doing tummy time with H, putting her on a play mat with dangling toys, and singing/talking to her.

9. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@LindsayInNY: I started tummy time right away. They told me to take vitamin D supplements, but didn't say anything about the baby getting them. She had appointments the day after she came home (due to jaundice), then at 2w and 4w. She doesn't go back until 8w. They checked her weight each time. I also go to a breastfeeding support group and they do weight checks and weighted feeds there. If anything, H is gaining too much (though they say that can't happen with bf babies)... she has been gaining 1.5-2oz per day. She no longer fits in 0-3 clothes with the smaller brands (Circo, Carters). She still fits in 0-3 for Janie & Jack, Boden, etc. Craziness!

10. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@dc yoga bee: Oh no! Sorry, I just read your comment. That sounds so stressful. Was your LO on meds before? I have heard that they can make a big difference... I hope the meds provide relief for both of you!!!

H is still projective vomiting now and then, but it doesn't seem to cause her any distress, so I don't think it's reflux.

11. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@LindsayInNY: We were told to start Vitmin D drops at the 2 day appointment but they said there was no hurry. Since I am using a nipple shield I've been instructed to bring LO in for weekly weight checks until we wean from the shield. We can stop in any time for a weight check or go to the weekly breastfeeding support class. I feel kind of silly going because LO hasn't had a weight issue and the nurses always ask what LO's issue is but it gets me out of the house.

@dc yoga bee: I hope the medicine helps!

12. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

@LindsayInNY: She spent tummy time on my chest from the start but we started tummy time on the floor on her play mat around 1 month old and DD really likes it! She's content to hang out on her play mat for 20-30 minutes at a time just lifting her head, raising her pelvis, kicking her legs, etc. She even fell asleep there the other day and napped for a while!

As for weight checks, she got weighed at 5 days PP and not again until her next checkup at 1 month old (and she gained 2 lbs 14 oz in that time!). They won't weigh her again until her 2 month checkup.

@dc yoga bee: Hopefully the new meds starts helping her feel better soon!

13. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@Corduroy: where do you buy the drops?

14. MamaB

cherry / 234 posts

We started vitamin D after the 1 week check-up. We got ours at Whole Foods.

15. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@78h2o: we are in the same boat with weight and clothing as you. His weight dropped down to 6.4 but gained it back to 6.10 almost 1 week after birth. He will be 5w tomorrow and he weighed in at 10.1 today. So he's gained 3 lb. 7 oz. in 4 weeks.

16. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

@LindsayInNY: We were told to Start vitamin d drops at her 4 week apt, and they're at the grocery store. We also were told to start tummy time at 2 weeks, and lo hates it! The doctor said when she's lifting her head up while lying on our chest it counts as well lol.

17. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

@Eko: Yeah - we're about the same. Born at 6.10, dropped to 6.4, back to 6.9 at her five day appointment and up to 9.8 at her 1 month appointment. At 5.5 weeks old now, I'm sure she's over 10 lbs!

18. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@Eko: Wow, I think yours has gained even more than mine. Her birth weight was 8 lbs 5 oz and she was 10 lb 12 oz last Wednesday. I would be she's about 11 lbs 6 oz now.

19. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

Born at 8 lb, 0.5 oz. don't know how much he dropped. 9 lb, 14 oz today. Almost 2 pounds in just over 2 weeks! (And so different from tiny LO1).

20. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

@dc yoga bee: Oh, poor girl

LO was at 7lb9oz today, 1.4oz off from birth weight at 11 days old. This was our 5th appt/weight check (mon to thurs last week plus today). At her first check, she was down to 6lb15.5oz. We go back again next Monday. Just annoying because every visit is a copay.

21. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@LindsayInNY: that seems like a lot of appointments to me, but I'm certainly no expert. I had my first pediatrician appointment on a Friday where he was down 10 ounces from his birth weight. We had a follow-up the following Monday where he gained back 6 ounces. They were fine with that and just went back today for his one month.

22. MrsBrewer

coconut / 8854 posts

@LindsayInNY: ugh wow that's a ton of appts! I mean it's nice they are being so thorough, but I get how it's so expensive!

23. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

What are you ladies doing for birth control? Anyone tried IUD? I have my six week postpartum checkup tomorrow, and plan to get the skyla IUD. Even though it took us a while to conceive, and I'm borderline pcos, it'll be a long while before ttc number 2.

24. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@dc yoga bee: I think there are other ladies here getting an IUD, but I'm going to be a dinosaur and just stick with pills I think. I haven't thought about birth control in about 4 years and IUD options have really changed since so I may be sticking to what I know. Can you let me know though how much your insurance covered and what you had to pay? I may be persuaded if I can save money though in the long run.

25. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

@Eko: That's a good question before I get it, and have sticker shock lol. I just looked it up, and both Skyla and mirena are 100% covered under bcbs federal. I was researching birth control pills, and it looked like the mini pill is the only option while breastfeeding, and I'm concerned about it drying up my supply as well as being in my breastmilk. I'll definitely ask at my apt today!

26. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

Well, I didn't do bc after #1 and that's how we ended up with #2
    Iud and pills are out. I'm done having babies (I hope dh is too) but I don't want to take any permanent measures either. Sooooooo....

27. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@dc yoga bee: hot damn. I never thought about it affecting my supply. Apparently this requires a lot more research.

28. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@dc yoga bee: I got the Mirena after LO1. I had it before LO1 and loved it. My experience post partum was totally different and not great. I think that was due to not being healed from birtrh and vaginal sensitivity from breast feeding. It did not seem to impact my supply. I plan to get an IUD again but not until DH and I are having sex comfortably. We'll use condoms to determine when that is.

29. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

@Eko: I think it's an overprecaution on their part and just the timing of things around the holiday. Just a pain sometimes though.

@dc yoga bee: Not a clue! I'm hesitant to go on any type of pill because I really believe that the long term use played a role in my IF issues. But I know I can't easily temp/chart with her either so who knows what we'll do.

30. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

Just got home from my 6 week checkup! Of course, Maya had a breakdown crying lol. My midwife doesn't place an IUD until 8 weeks to make sure you're completely 100% healed and not pregnant! I said how would I be pregnant!?! She said you ovulate once before getting your period back, and some people have sex before 6 weeks. Not here! Anyways, she said she prefers mirena over Skyla for women who have had children, and Skyla isn't any easier to place actually.

And I leave you with this- my tailbone is broken!!its been hurting like cray ever since childbirth and it getting better. She took one look and felt it and said yep- it's broken! I just can't catch a break- or maybe insist did

P.s.- my midwife said 12 months is perfect amount of time to allow blood reserves and body heal from childbirth for vaginal delivery. In the hospital she told me she's an only child, and it's okay. Today she said she lied when she told me that in the hospital and that she's an only child and she's lonely!

31. MrsBrewer

coconut / 8854 posts

@dc yoga bee: omg broken tailbone?! Thank god it's healing!

Is it bad that I'm kind of sad when I read 12 months?? I don't want to have to wait 12 months!

32. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

@MrsBrewer: that doesn't mean 12 months is right for everyone! Talk to your provider and do what's best for
    You!

33. MrsBrewer

coconut / 8854 posts

@dc yoga bee: oh yea definitely! I can't believe we are getting to the point where we're 6 weeks out already!!

34. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

@dc yoga bee: I've never heard of Skyla! But speaking of, I should probably make my follow up appt lol.

35. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

@dc yoga bee: I got my Skyla inserted today at my 6 week PP appointment and it was completely painless! Obviously it isn't comfortable being in stirrups with a speculum in you, but no pain. It is so funny how providers have such different opinions on things. My doctor said that she prefers inserting Skylas because she thinks they are easier to insert than Mirena.

@Eko: My insurance (Aetna) covers all IUDs at 100%. So mine should cost me nothing!

36. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

I was so excited at my 6 week PP appointment today. First, my BP was back to normal (I'm still medicated but it wasn't behaving on meds for a while). But even better, I'm down 33 lbs! And I only gained 29.5 with pregnancy! So pumped! I still have more I'd like to lose (I was overweight before getting pregnant) but it is nice to have made so much progress already!

They said everything is looking great, did a full annual exam with Pap smear then inserted my IUD.

37. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

Tummy time was so much fun that E decided it was also a good place for a nap!

38. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@Mrs.KMM: thanks for the information! That's helpful to know. Super cute pic of E! W gets so frustrated with tummy time, he likes it but always fusses as if he's frustrated he's not going anywhere.

When W is awake he actually can't be on his own without fussing, it's getting annoying lol. He sleeps fine on his own, but need to be held and interacted with if he's awake.

39. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

@Mrs.KMM: Love this tummy time!!! M cries bloody murder when we do it lol. Congrats on the weight loss! I was overweight before getting pregnant, and want to tackle that. I'm carving an hour to myself when DH gets home but I don't think I'll make it to the 6:45 barre class on time. I will try to use the elliptical.

40. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@Mrs.KMM: I also meant to add congrats on the weight loss! I gained 40 pounds total and I'm down 25 so far. I was about 10 pounds overweight to begin with but I got a long way to go. I'm starting a clean eating/exercise regiment soon that I really want to get into a routine of before I go back to work.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee