Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

June 2016 Gear Updates, Ideas, Deals, Etc

1. catomd00

grapefruit / 4418 posts

@RKitty: since I'm planning on doing zero prep for this baby, here's the real basics: diapers, some clothes, swaddles, white noise, a place to sleep, a baby carrier, pacifiers, a car seat, boobs, nipple cream, maybe a pump and a few bottles, maybe a stroller. They really don't need much!

2. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

3. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@RKitty: If you look on pintrest you can find way too many. That being said, I looked just now and this is one that is neat. They actually go through rational and give advice on brands and stuff for each one. And I think for the most part I agree with it. Some stuff you might not need, but other people do (ie I hated the boppy, and we never bought a baby bathtub). So keep your receipts and return stuff as needed. This is a "minimalists" one but it isn't that extreme.

http://blog.totscoop.com/the-minimalists-new-baby-checklist/

4. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

Does anyone feel they need a highchair? I registered for a bumbo-like chair (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NAXHMVO?colid=2KWJ4IYG44TGF&coliid=IYYZWNQ4FIVDG&redirect=true&ref_=br_it_dp_o_nS_ttl) and figured that could double as a highchair, but will I get the same use out of it?

5. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@MrsKRB: It looks like you probably will but just not as long because the part between the legs is thick like a Bumppo and not like a high chair. I have this one and I've loved it. It's really easy to take with us, but I didn't get it till DS was 1. We're hoping to use it for ds2 though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CSAWIOQ/ref=pd_aw_vtph_75_tr_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=072W6MRM2G2GBC2GND7Y

6. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@brownepiano: oh, I like that! It looks like you can use it once they start sitting on their own, right?

7. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

Yep. It won't keep them upright like a bumpo and it doesn't give any neck support or recline like others, but it is perfect for starting solids around 6 months. I love it and wish I had found it sooner.

8. Alba4

nectarine / 2951 posts

@MrsKRB: my son's thighs never fit in a bumbo, so we had a high chair.

9. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@pastemoo: it looks like that's a mini crib?

10. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@T.H.O.U.: I don't know. I used a mini crib with my son.

Dimensions: 42.000H x 26.750W x 39.750D

11. RKitty

apricot / 341 posts

@brownepiano: Thanks! I like that link! All the one I found on Pinterest were like the 5 most critical newborn and such and such.

12. runnerd

pear / 1593 posts

@MrsKRB: we didn't get a high chair for LO initially but then our in-laws bought us one. Our bumbo style chair was great for starting solids, and for a place for him to hangout while I got ready in the mornings or cooked dinner, but I definitely appreciate having the high chair

13. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

Some advice needed:
    DH will be doing baby's drop off at daycare and I will be doing pick up. My MIL bought an infant car seat. Would you buy an extra base and switch the car seat between cars, or would you buy a convertible car seat for one car to save some money? I'm leaning towards just getting a base for ease, but I wasn't sure what second/third time moms thought about this.

14. Mrs. Champagne

coconut / 8483 posts

@MrsKRB: we didn't have day care to worry about but still liked having two bases!

15. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@MrsKRB: we didn't have two bases last time, but did have an infant seat and a convertible. This time I bought two bases.

This might just be my friends, but I do like having an extra convertible seat so I can give my friend (and kid) a ride to hang out with me. But we tend to have one car and so do several friends of mine so that is kind of special circumstances.

16. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@MrsKRB: I'm buying a convertible for each car and skipping the infant seat this time.
    But also in my family, babies grow super fast for 6 months, then super slow for the rest of their lives, so the infant seat is the only thing they actually outgrow ahead of everything else.
    I hope it's the same for this baby.
    @brownepiano: That is a great idea. I want to buy my MIL a cosco scenara or other cheap one to have around

17. futuremama

clementine / 854 posts

@MrsKRB: I'd just get another base for the infant seat. I found it easier to carry them around in the bucket seat when they're little since you have bottles and things in your hands too.

18. catomd00

grapefruit / 4418 posts

@MrsKRB: for us, I'd just do a convertible but we hardly ever use DHs car exception for the rare occasion he does a daycare drop off or pick up. If you use both cars equally when together, an extra base might be worth it:

19. RKitty

apricot / 341 posts

@MrsKRB: A first time mom here... but we got an infant seat with two bases. Plus some of the infant seats also can be used a car seat with out a base which ours can so we kind of have three bases. My husband and I both wanted two seats, one of each of cars. As we've had experiences in the past dealing having a baby/kid but missing part of the car seat so can't leave the house....

20. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@MrsKRB: Lurking! When will baby start daycare? Assuming baby doesn't start daycare until 3 months or so, by that point I was totally comfortable using the convertible on DH's car. Plus it was nice to not spend $50 on a base and then $150 on a car seat shortly after.

21. futuremama

clementine / 854 posts

@MrsKRB: Another option is to just use a seatbelt install with the infant seat in your husband's car. We were surprised how easy it was to get a good install. This could prevent the extra purchase if you aren't going to use it that often.

22. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@T.H.O.U.: yea, she will be about 4 months. The Chicco base is $85!

@futuremama: that's a good ide! Is that just with the car seat? Do you know if you can do that with the Chicco keyfit?

23. futuremama

clementine / 854 posts

@MrsKRB: Yep, we had the Keyfit. You can look up a video how-to on Youtube. It's not as easy as having a base, but for short-term or infrequent trips, it's a good option.

24. MrsBeluga

apricot / 442 posts

@MrsKRB: We found a second base for our Britax B Safe for $15 on a Facebook moms group, if we had to buy it new ($75) we would have put the $75 towards a convertible since you are going to need that, and for longer too.

25. RKitty

apricot / 341 posts

@MrsKRB: Yes, like FutureMama said the Chicco Keyfit is safe with out the base. You can see it in the manual here - http://www.chiccousa.com/Files/pdf/product-manuals/KeyFit-Instructions-08.pdf (pg37). That's the same one we got.

Also shop around and check local baby boutiques. We had a local store have 20% off their bases so got a second one for around $65.

26. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@RKitty: awesome, thanks!

Thanks for all the input everyone!

27. RKitty

apricot / 341 posts

One of my cats has decided that my Halo Bassinet box is a great scratching post.... two corners are now shredded... so I guess I'm getting a bonus use of my Bassinet? Does that count as an extra deal - Free scratching post?

Also my local cloth diaper store is doing Blueberry Diaper release this Friday so I'm planning to go there to check them out!

28. Mrs. Champagne

coconut / 8483 posts

We ordered the double stroller! City mini gt double in teal. Even after the exchange rate (us to Canada) we are saving over $300 by getting it in the us!!

Also ordered the Jenny Lind in Lagoon! I want a ktan too. Ugh. Spending so much money hah

29. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@RKitty: Exciting! I love blueberry diapers!
    Bummer about the scratching post...
    @Mrs. Champagne: yay!

30. starlitsky

clementine / 795 posts

What is everyone doing for:

Infant thermometer -- I heard rectal is the best but do the forehead scanning ones work almost as well?

Humidifier -- is this a necessity for when baby is sick? Is cool mist or warm mist better?

Video monitor -- can't decide between Samsung, Summer Infant, and Motorola. Samsung doesn't have the in-room temperature. Is that a must have?

For deals, Target is offering a $25 gift card with a $150 baby/nursing purchase, and some other gc offers as well. I ordered an Ergobaby carrier because they had a $30 gc offer, but looks like it's sold out now. This coupon code may still work: Additionally, take an extra $5 off select orders orders of $50 or more via coupon code "TGT4CAWM"

Has anyone tried solly wraps?

31. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@starlitsky: No experience, but I registered for the Exergen temporal thermometer. They're offering a $20 rebate on their website http://www.exergen.com/babythermometer/

32. RKitty

apricot / 341 posts

@pastemoo: It's just the box, and the kitty responsible is blind and loves her cardboard scratchers so she just probably thought this was a new one. She does odd ball stuff all the time so we're kind of used to it I thought it was funny.

33. starlitsky

clementine / 795 posts

@MrsKRB: ooh thanks! I like this:

-Accuracy comparable to rectal thermometer
    -#1 preferred by pediatricians

and I like the idea of not having to measure rectally! lol

34. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@starlitsky: I got a cheap ($20) temporal one and it was OK but the first time DS had a real fever it made me nervous good inconsistent it was. So I went right out and bought a $50 Braun in ear one. I've liked it better but I'm not sure how it will do on infants.

35. catomd00

grapefruit / 4418 posts

@starlitsky: we use the exergen temporal. I can't stick anything up my kids butt, I just can't! It wa accurate enough for me. I'd test it first on myself, plus it's what they always used at my peds office - if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me!

We used a cool mist humidifier for a week or two when DD was stuffy as a newborn. Didn't think it made a difference and it was one more thing I had to clean. I couldn't handle that so just got rid of it. Haven't had a need for it in 2 years.

I have the Samsung baby view and no complaints. I know people with the Motorola like that, too. I think the three are pretty comparable and you can't go wrong either way.

Haven't tried a solly myself but hear great things! I just can't with wraps - ring slings and ktans were hard enough for me to figure out haha!

36. starlitsky

clementine / 795 posts

@brownepiano: @catomd00: I think I'll get a temporal for now and in-ear when baby gets bigger.

@catomd00: hmm maybe I'll skip the humidifier for now. I kinda don't want another thing to clean! I'm leaning towards the Samsung because of the large screen, but does yours not display the temperature? Also, I feel kinda intimidated by wraps too but love the idea of having baby snuggled close! Maybe I'll borrow one from a friend before I invest. I hear not all babies love being worn...

37. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@starlitsky: I liked the ease of the temporal, just go with a good brand (like the one your looking at) and not a cheap one. I tried to get too many cheap things and wound up having to replace/return them (monitor, thermometer, pump).

I have a homemade moby wrap. I wanted to love it but it never felt secure. I think I needed more practice, DS just fought it the whole time unless I was actively moving. I'm going to try again this time and might do better out of necessity. If there is someone you can borrow from that'd be a great way to try before you commit! You might only want it in the beginning and then switch to the Ergo when the baby is bigger.

38. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@RKitty: glad it's just the box!
    @MrsKRB: we have/had the exergen, i'm a fan. the ped office uses a temporal one, too.
    @starlitsky: zulily has ergo carriers for super cheap right now! lucky it sold out!
    http://www.zulily.com/p/night-sky-original-carrier-5675-25764369.html?pos=2&bid=11957&ref=brand

I'm a big wrapper, I have 5 (!!) wraps, an Ellevill, a Girasol, an Oscha, a Didymos, and a Diva Milano. A little bit of everything. Trying to trade the Ellevill for something else though, the colors are just a little to "pastel" for me. I never had a stretchy wrap, so I don't know about them, they make me nervous--I don't know if I could get it tight enough.

39. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@starlitsky: Oh and for monitor, I still have our old angel care. No video, but it has a motion sensor. Though while cosleeping... it will probably not be used for a good while.
    I have some cheap humidifier and don't use it all that often. It's a target one.

40. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

@pastemoo: I'm finally happy with my squish stash- I tried so many with DD that I got the "try everything" out of my system- with this baby I have 5 wraps and a ring sling (though one of the wraps is technically my Toddlers!)-- I ended up with all black and white too for the new baby which is quite a change!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee