Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

March 2013 Babies First Birthday Thread

1. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

2. Smurfette

@shopaholic: Yeah the BG one is my favorite. I can totally see K in it! If yours doesn't have it, call around for it! The other blue dress is Carters.

3. Arden

honeydew / 7589 posts

@shopaholic: This would be perfect for a Rio party!

4. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

@Smurfette: Yeah - I saw the BG blue dress online and thought it's perfect. Hopefully I can track one down somewhere nearby.

@Arden: Tea? So cute! I'll look for that at Nordstrom today too!

5. Arden

honeydew / 7589 posts

@shopaholic: Yup! I think it's on sale. Super cute.

6. Smurfette

@Arden: That is cute! I missed that when I searched Nordstrom.

7. dojo

persimmon / 1223 posts

@Smurfette: @Arden: @shopaholic: You gals are making me really jealous with all these super adorable girls dresses!!! Why can't little boys clothes be as cute!!! (I know, I know - boys clothes are cute too but it's just not the same!!!)

8. silver1

apricot / 338 posts

@dojo: I'm looking at these dresses thinking Id like to see the adult version!! I can hardly put together a nice outfit for myself let alone J but seriously its hard to find variety in boy outfits in store. I get mine mostly online.
    @Smurfette: those are super cute!! I have the adult version of the red dress and can't wait for summer to wear it!

9. dojo

persimmon / 1223 posts

@silver1: Where do you order J's clothes? haha I was just happy to find a Carters 'birthday' onesie at Ross for $4 - but now I wish I could have put together a cute little coordinated outfit for his party! Oh well!

10. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

OK - so Baby Gap was a bust for us! The SA said that must have been an online dress only and couldn't locate one in a store near us.

I found this hot pink dress at Nordstrom and the blue knit cardigan. I also found this blue, cotton dress at Gymboree. I'm not thrilled about either blue choices - they just look so casual.
    The hot pink one says "It's MY Birthday!" I'm thinking it can be okay that she's not in blue since all the decor and tutus are blue. That way she'll be a pop of color standing out? It looks the most Rio/Carnaval flashy to me? My sister said I should just put K in a tutu that I made and a onesie…

Isn't it terrible her movie theme is all about blue, and it's like my least favorite color. lol

11. Smurfette

@shopaholic: Yeah the blues are a little casual. The pink is cute and you are right she can wear pink so she stands out. But I do agree with your sister, she can totally wear a tutu and onesie!!
    Could you order the blue Gap onesie and overnight it, if you really want it?

12. Smurfette

Will everyone please tell me that it is ok to just serve a sheet cake for everyone? I really wanted to make myself but 40+ people, I think I would drive myself crazy. Not to mention they are like $20 at Costco. Even if I made a cake and then did cupcakes, cookies, etc so there was enough sweets, I would spend way more then $20, right?

13. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

Oh hell yes sheet cake is ok!!!

We had Costco sheet cake at our wedding. And I had so many people say it was the best cake they ever had and were flabbergasted it came from Costco. It's freaking delicious.

Cut yourself some slack where you can. Farm shit out. Order Costco! They have good little party trays too if you need that. And they do cookie trays. All their baked goods are yum.

14. Smurfette

@blackbird: Thanks! I know my family won't care so why should I care! We have a family one this weekend. 4 7's year old (3 are triplets) and they will each pick their own cake and they will all be store bought.

I know that all they really care about it, is the booze

15. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@shopaholic: Hot pink all the way! That is a birthday dress

@Smurfette: Go the sheet cake! Easier the better and it tastes good.

16. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

@Smurfette: Um - yes! Sheetcake is totally ok! Like I said, I was really impressed with Ralph's cakes!

@AprilFool: Thanks! I'm thinking so too!

OK. I ordered our chalkboard print from Etsy and Costco and went to pick it up today. I should have measured 16x20 and asked for a larger file (it was the larger size the seller listed). I LOVE the chalkboard, but I'm disappointed with the size. IDK I was expecting like a real poster size because I ordered a "poster board". Oh well. I'm not spending another $25 to make it a little bigger:

17. Smurfette

@shopaholic: It looks so cute!!!
    How did you do it at Costco? I was going to print it there. Is it thick? I have a frame to out it in.......

18. silver1

apricot / 338 posts

@dojo: Zulily usually has some cute stuff. When LO was smaller I was a fan of soy joy clothing on Amazon. Thinkgeek and UncommonGoods if you are into geeky/quirky stuff. I also browse my local boutiques for sale stuff (otherwise crazy expensive)
    @shopaholic: Looks awesome!!

19. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

@Smurfette: I just ordered it online - poster board - 16x20. It's not as thick as I expected, but it is stiff and can stand up on its own. It was done in less than 3 hours!

@silver1: Thanks!

20. Smurfette

@shopaholic: Sweet! Thanks!

21. Smurfette

@shopaholic: Quick question: I was looking online at Costco. You did a poster board? For $15. Did you call the Warehouse to see how long it would take?

22. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@shopaholic: Cute! What shop did you get it from on Etsy?

23. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@shopaholic: that's a really cute print! I was surprised at how "small" even 16x20 seemed when i went to go look for canvas boards in person. I ended up with an 18x24 board because it was the largest i could find... I actually would've liked something even bigger than that.

@Smurfette: sheet cakes are totally ok!

24. Mrs. Blue

blogger / pomelo / 5361 posts

@Smurfette: Totally late to the part on this, but I think a sheet cake is completely fine! If I had that many guests, I would be all over that train!

25. Smurfette

@AprilFool: @Mrs. High Heels: @Mrs. Blue: Thanks ladies! Makes me feel better. Why do I over think stupid things like this!

26. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@dojo: @Smurfette: Made out of fondant! I was nervous- but actually it was way easier than I thought!

@dojo: Boys clothes are def. not as cute as girls!

@Smurfette: We are getting a Costco cake! I am making Lil B's smash cake- and buying one for everyone else! (I priced out all the ingredients I would need to make one- and it was more expensive than buying the $20.00 sheet cake from Costco!) Also our Costco will put any picture we want on it! Chaching!

27. Smurfette

@cheert16: That is good to hear. I need to go this weekend and go ahead and get it ordered then. Hopefully they can make it pretty plain like I would like. I have star sprinkles to sprinkle on top.

28. travellingbee

OK so I attempted to make one of those boards to print on my own. It isn't as cute as the etsy ones, but not bad, right?

29. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@travellingbee: Totally cute!!

30. Adira

Roll call! Who's having birthday parties this weekend?? I know I am...

31. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@Smurfette: I am sure they would make it plain. I thought about that too- decorating myself.... but I might just have them put a picture of the Very hungry caterpillar on it- and call it done!

32. Smurfette

@travellingbee: Cute!! Can you do some more colors to liven it up? It looks great if you can't, I just like color!

33. Smurfette

@cheert16: I am going to see if they will do a silver star and then Happy Birthday R. I don't icing trim around the top either, just the bottom. We will see what they say.
    @Adira: Woo hoo!! Sunday is the big day right? what are you serving food wise?

34. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@Adira: so exciting!! don't forget to take lots of pictures! Your having at your house right?

35. Adira

@Smurfette: Yes, Sunday! For food we're planning on having mini sandwiches, veggies & dip, fruit, crackers & cheese, chocolates, and cupcakes.

@cheert16: Yep, at our house! I'm hoping that I can get everything set up before people arrive and do all the "detail" shots before-hand. Then maybe I'll take turns passing the camera between myself and Hubs to get tons of photos? And I might have a friend take pictures when I want photos of the three of us. I'm excited!!

36. Smurfette

@Adira: Yummy!

37. travellingbee

@Smurfette: Added a touch more color and am having it printed at Kinkos as we speak. And we are definitely doing a sheet cake, btw. I don't know what I am doing for a smash cake yet. I might enlist my SIL who is very talented with such things.

I also ordered a bunch of pictures of L for a picture garland and bought a bunch of little decorative things at Hobby Lobby. Photog is booked and we've planned out the food- BBQ brisket from a local place and hot dogs, potato and pasta salads. Lemonade, beer and sodas... Phew. Got our first couple of RSVPs today. Getting there now!

38. Smurfette

@travellingbee: Your menu sounds yummy too!!

39. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

@Smurfette: Yup! $15 and it took less than 3 hours.
    @Mrs. High Heels: Thanks! I know. But then I was thinking what would I do with it afterwards, so the small one is fine.
    @travellingbee: That is SOOO cute! I can't believe you were able to do that on your own! So talented!
    @Adira: Me! And it's supposed to be pouring rain Saturday…

So I went to Nordstrom Rack and Marshalls this morning and hit a party/Easter dress jackpot! I put all of the ones I've found so far together with some of the tutu and tulle colors to get an idea. So far I like the pop of the pink. Of course one dress is double the price of the other, and guess which one I like? lol

Which do you guys think? IDK why the colors came out super saturated.

40. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

Ok here's another shot of the 2 pink dresses:

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee