Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

March 2013 Babies First Birthday Thread

1. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@shopaholic: Sounds like a busy day!! Each photo looks amazing though. K is a lucky little girl!!

@Adira: Ahhh I love the photo of you and Xander!! Too cute! And those cupcakes look delicious! I am also going to to copy your monthly photos!

Our party is still over a month away. I mailed the invitations out yesterday (about 22). I don't expect it to be too big of a party, 20 people or so. Ummm... how am I going to move and throw a party within the month? I can't even think about it!

2. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@Smurfette: The cupcakes were really good! Some of them had this raspberry frosting that was sooooooooo delicious!

3. Adira

@QueensBee: Copy away! I copied @dojo, haha. And uh... good luck moving and throwing a party!!!

4. silver1

apricot / 338 posts

@Adira: Great pics everything has come out so nicely!! and love Xander he is so cute with the cake!!
    I got supplies over the weekend to make some bday decorations and then realized I don't have the right (or any) tools. My goal was to save some money and now I am looking at best case spending same amount but with no guaranteed results! Luckily I already ordered J's outfit matching the theme so that won't be a disaster even though everything else maybe
    @QueensBee: That will be so nice in new home it can be bday party along with house warming! It must be crazy busy with the move and planning a party! Good luck and hope everything turns out well!!

5. Adira

@silver1: It may end up costing the same to do it yourself, but then you'll have tools that you can use on other projects, so it's not as costly overall as just buying the finished product, if that makes sense! Either way, good luck!

6. Adira

Also, this is the remote control car that Xander got for his birthday and he LOVES it!

http://www.amazon.com/Rally-Ripster-B-Remote-Control/dp/B00HDQB0E4

7. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@QueensBee: You will do fine! Just make things easier on yourself, order everything you can!

@Adira: That car looks fun! I should get one for R.

8. Adira

@Smurfette: You totally should! Though I'm sure you can find it cheaper places than Amazon. At first Xander was just staring at the car watching it drive around as someone else controlled it, then we gave him the remote and had him press the buttons. It took him a little bit to make the connection, but when he did, it was so cool watching him figure out how to control it!

9. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: I like all the decorations and those cupcakes look so delicious!! Looks like Xander enjoyed his cake.

@QueensBee: You are going to be so busy! It will be awesome to have his party in your new house.

@silver1: I'm sure everything will turn out. And now you will have the tools for future projects, money well spent.

I'm half done my balloon wreath but ran out of pins and I'm almost out of balloons, must get shopping this week and finish it. That would be too sad if I didn't finish the one craft I'm doing. I'm hoping Isaac's shirt arrives in the mail this week.

DH is adding people to the guest list. Which I don't have a problem with, but I don't think he's actually invited them yet. But I'll leave that up to him.

10. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

I am mailing out my invitations tomorrow! its getting closer!

11. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Adira: It turned out so wonderfully!! That photo of you both is adorable.

Dropped our invites in the mail yesterday. Guess we are officially having a party!! Think I need to get back to figuring out my list.

I am outsourcing the pom pom garlands... I made about 3 more they other day and decided it was not worth my stress. There is not enough nap time in the world to get it done. Can't tell DH though he didn't want to spend the $.

Who is the next to have a party?? @smufette:?

The tutu I ordered from etsy for the cake smash has not arrived and I don't think it ever will so now I am rushing to find something else. It's hard because with a month to go it has to be ready to ship. I am one of these. Opinions?

12. dojo

persimmon / 1223 posts

@Adira: Yay! Your party turned out great! I think your monthly photo display looks awesome! Cute pic of the two of you

13. dojo

persimmon / 1223 posts

@AprilFool: I like the dress option! Pretty colors - Ha I probably would just want to wear it myself.

14. Smurfette

@ALV91711: When is your party again?
    @cheert16: fun!
    @AprilFool: Those are adorable!! I love the first one! My party is the 15th. @mrs. Blue: baby dudes share the same Bday as R but not sure when their party is.

15. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

I'm double posting in the April thread but you guys are making me so excited for this party! I have a month but I can't believe it's so close! I ordered tables and chairs and linens today so we are set there. I found some adorable DIY cupcake stand tutorials too so I gotta hit up the dollar store! Our invites went out and I made a ton of practice cupcakes. I decided on a pink and aqua swirl, so I ordered jumbo star tips for my pastry bags!

16. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@AprilFool: I love those little dresses!

@Smurfette: @AprilFool: Our party is the 15th too. Coming up way too fast!

Must get to Target tomorrow and buy the rest of my decorations.

17. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@blackbird: I love the invites and those cupcakes look delicious!

18. Mrs. Blue

blogger / pomelo / 5361 posts

@AprilFool: @Smurfette: Same birthday & same day for their birthday parties! We're doing the afternoon of the 15th.

19. Smurfette

@blackbird: What recipe did you use for the icing?

20. blackbird

Thank you! I am so pumped about the cupcakes lol

@snurfette-magnolia bakery recipe! 2 sticks butter, half cup milk, 6-8 c powder sugar (I was at 6), 1 tsp vanilla. I actually did half vanilla and half almond, which was unexpectedly delicious

21. Adira

@AprilFool: I think any of those options is wicked cute! I really like the top tutu though with the sparkles!

@blackbird: I LOVE your invites soooooo much!!! And that swirl frosting is so cool!!! You are way more talented than I am in the bakery department!

22. Smurfette

@blackbird: so do you have to keep in the fridge since it has milk

23. blackbird

@smurfette, Um, i didn't....the fridge does weird things to frosting and cakes long term. Makes it drippy, etc. I mean, the butter's not refrigerated

@adira, thanks!

24. Smurfette

@blackbird: that is what I thought but people have told me you have to keep cold.

25. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@Smurfette: I took a cake class and the instructor said it wasn't necessary to refrigerate frosting with milk (under 1/2 a cup) the sugar and butter make it so it doesn't spoil. I never refrigerate my cake/cupcakes I make with milk in the frosting!

26. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@blackbird: what was he cake recipe you are using? It's banana cake right? Think I could switch bananas for sweet potato?

27. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@dojo: I feel like this about all my daughters clothes! haha

@Smurfette: @ALV91711: @Mrs. Blue: The 15th is a busy day!!!

@Smurfette: @Adira: That is my fav too. Was just worried it would be too pale but I think I am going to go for it.

@blackbird: Your invites are gorgeous and so are those cakes!

28. Smurfette

@cheert16: Thanks! They didn't tell me that in my class but they pushed the Wilton frosting recipe and I wasn't a fan. Her trial cake makes me realize I need to do more baking and brush up on my skills.

29. blackbird

@cheert16-no these are the "too much chocolate" cupcakes fr allrecipes that char suggested in my chocolate cupcake thread. Amazing

30. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

Sorry I've been MIA since our party! K came down with a fever starting the MOTN after her party. It seems to get better in the day, but every night is rough. I think she caught the stomach flu from someone and maybe an ear infection now? We're going to the ped today.

Just got the Thank You cards from Costco (the Tiny Prints kind). It took 7 days. Longer than I expected. But the quality is pretty good!

@Adira: Sounds like the party was a big success! Weird about MIL, but yay on the cupcakes - they looked great! Fantastic pictures! The robot theme came out SO STINKIN CUTE! And great job on the cake smash Xander! Love how you displayed the photos! Oh - I was going to do the mini clothespin as an add-on, but I just ran out of time. I taped each picture to the baker's twine on the back before hanging.

@Mrs. Blue: @QueensBee: Thank you!

@QueensBee: Hopefully, at least with the move, you won't have to do any deep cleaning before the party? I'm sure it will turn out wonderfully!

@silver1: I am notorious for spending MORE on DIY projects than just buying pre-made or outsourcing. Everything adds up quick!

@ALV91711: Is your party this weekend? Can't wait to see you balloon wreath!

@cheert16: Exciting!

@AprilFool: LOLOL! Outsource away! I totally hear you on there is not enough nap time to get things done! The stress isn't worth it! OMG - I LOOOOVE that first tutu! We used a pettiromper like your second picture for the cake smash! Turned out cute! And I love the colors you are using for your party! Soooo pretty! Why my girl liked a blue bird is beyond me. lol.

@blackbird: SO cute! OMG I looove those cupcakes! Did you make those yourself?

31. sheskrafty

persimmon / 1165 posts

@shopaholic: The tutus and headbands are incredible! What an incredible project. I hope K feels better soon!!!

@adira: Such a great theme and the picture display is awesome!!

If anyone is having parties this weekend, I hope you all have fun!!!

32. silver1

apricot / 338 posts

@AprilFool: I like the dresses!
    @blackbird: love your invite and gosh the cupcakes!! Everytime I open this thread I get intense craving for cupcakes!!!
    @shopaholic: Yup same here and it doesn't help I try my hand at random diys so there is not much reusing stuff or its so long ago I don't have them and buy new again.
    @adira: Mine are one-time projects so my tools/supplies will likely be gone by the time next diy comes along!

33. Mrs. Blue

This has been such a busy weekend, My friend flew in for a 24-hour visit, and the whole weekend has been full of preparation for next weekend. I have 4 of the rainbow cake layers baked for next week, and I'm about to bake the last two. The biggest project, though, was I did a full practice of the ark cake. I didn't have the animals yet (I ordered them) so for this video, I just washed a couple of the boys' animal toys and put them on there to get an idea of what it would look like. I've never used fondant in my life so I was really nervous about it, but I think it turned out pretty good. I see all the screw ups, of course, but hopefully I can fix tem for the real thing. If this one looks presentable enough, we're planning on taking it to the NICU as a thank you in honor of the boys' birthday. Here's a video that shows all angles of the cake. What do you guys think? Is it okay to take to the NICU? Any suggestions on changes to make for the real one?

34. blackbird

Adorable cake!!! Do you have a hand held clothes steamer? It'll make it all shiny. Saw that on cake boss lol. I think it's super cute though

35. Smurfette

@Mrs. Blue: super cute!!!! I would totally take it to them! They will be so touched!

36. Mrs. Blue

@blackbird: that's genius! Unfortunately, I don't, but I'm going to have to remember that when I do.

37. Mrs. Blue

@blackbird: @Smurfette: P.S. Holy hell, did you see the mess in my kitchen?!?? Gah, I am the messiest baker of all time!

38. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Mrs. Blue: That looks good. I would definitely take it to them.

39. Smurfette

@Mrs. Blue: mine is a mess when I bake too!

40. Smurfette

No!!! Yesterday the weather said high of 62 and 0% chance of rain. Now it is saying 60%. I really need people on the deck and not in my living room. We don't have enough room!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee