Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

New Year, New Babes - January 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

Happy almost holiday weekend (at least in the States), guys!

We just had E's 6-month appointment (on her actual 6-month birthday!), and all went great. She's teething like a boss--the ped pointed our 4 or 5 more that are trying to break through, poor girl. She's still a little squirt--not even 15lbs yet! But nothing the doctor is worried about, especially since I was always in the 10th percentile for weight growing up. Ha!

I was most surprised that our ped said she could eat absolutely anything but honey at this point--she said we could give her fish, peanut butter, etc...whatever healthy stuff we're eating is fair game. Cool news!

How is everyone?

2. charmed

persimmon / 1177 posts

*Communication*
    1. Does your baby make high-pitched squeals?
    every once in a while
    2. If you call your baby when you are out of sight, does she look in the direction or your voice?
    Yes
    3. Does your baby make sounds like “da,” “ga,” “ka,” and “ba”? I haven't really paid attention to the specific sound, but she makes all sorts of noises! I'll have to listen next time she's "talking"
    *Gross Motor*
    4. While your baby is on his back, does your baby lift his legs high enough to see his feet?yes
    5. When you put your baby on the floor, does she lean on her hands while sitting?yes
    6. If you hold both hands just to balance your baby does he support his own weight while standing?yes
    7. Does your baby get into a crawling position by getting up on her hands and knees?yes, just started it this week!
    *Fine Motor*
    8. Does your baby grab a toy you offer and look at it, wave it about or chew on it for about 1 minute? yes
    9. Does your baby pick up a small toy, hold it in the center of her hand with her fingers around it? not sure how centered it is, but she wraps her fingers around toys
    10. Does your baby try to pick up a crumb or Cheerio by using his thumb and all of his fingers in raking motion even if he isn’t able to pick it up?haven't offered
    *Problem Solving*
    11. Does your baby pick up a toy and put it in his mouth?yes
    12. Does your baby pass a toy back and forth from one hand to the other?no
    13. Does your baby play by banging a toy up and down on the floor or table?yes! I made the mistake of showing her how to bang her toy keys on the bumbo tray
    *Personal Social*
    14. Does your baby act differently towards strangers than he does with you or other familiar people? yes, stranger danger is still here, and it's worse with men (even ones she "knows" but doesn't see as often)
    15. While you baby is on his back, does he put his foot in his mouth?yes!

3. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

1. Does your baby make high-pitched squeals? occasionally
    2. If you call your baby when you are out of sight, does she look in the direction or your voice? yes
    3. Does your baby make sounds like “da,” “ga,” “ka,” and “ba”? She has, but I'm not sure how regularly.
    4. While your baby is on his back, does your baby lift his legs high enough to see his feet? yes
    5. When you put your baby on the floor, does she lean on her hands while sitting? Only if I put her in that position and then she can only hold it for like 3 seconds. So no.
    6. If you hold both hands just to balance your baby does he support his own weight while standing? Yes.
    7. Does your baby get into a crawling position by getting up on her hands and knees? No for hands, yes for knees.
    8. Does your baby grab a toy you offer and look at it, wave it about or chew on it for about 1 minute? Yes, she loves her toys.
    9. Does your baby pick up a small toy, hold it in the center of her hand with her fingers around it? Yes.
    10. Does your baby try to pick up a crumb or Cheerio by using his thumb and all of his fingers in raking motion even if he isn’t able to pick it up? No, I don't think she's even had the opportunity to do anything similar to this. But, I doubt she could/would.
    11. Does your baby pick up a toy and put it in his mouth? Yes
    12. Does your baby pass a toy back and forth from one hand to the other? Yes
    13. Does your baby play by banging a toy up and down on the floor or table? Yes
    14. Does your baby act differently towards strangers than he does with you or other familiar people? Yes
    15. While you baby is on his back, does he put his foot in his mouth? No, I think she's getting closer to it. I sometimes put her foot in her mouth for her

4. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@mfa_lady: Yeah, honey is the only off limits thing and I think it is technically only local honey? I just do no honey either way. I have been told they actually suggest doing peanut products earlier now to help prevent or reduce an allergy to it. I would suggest that you do it at a time you can easily get seen by a doctor or get to the ER if there were a reaction, though.

5. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@Radish: That's what I was thinking, too!

6. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@charmed: Ugh, that is rough! I hope she gets the memo soon. DD1 was always a party animal in the middle of the night, she wasn't sleeping through the night consistently until well into a year I think. But, the fact that I can't even remember exactly when is a sign that the torture of it all will fade.

7. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

*Communication*
    1. Does your baby make high-pitched squeals? Yep, sometimes.

2. If you call your baby when you are out of sight, does she look in the direction or your voice? Yes

3. Does your baby make sounds like “da,” “ga,” “ka,” and “ba”? Yep. It's hilarious!

*Gross Motor*
    4. While your baby is on his back, does your baby lift his legs high enough to see his feet? Yes
    5. When you put your baby on the floor, does she lean on her hands while sitting? Sometimes. She'd rather sit without her hands, and usually is holding something in her hands, haha.

6. If you hold both hands just to balance your baby does he support his own weight while standing? Yes

7. Does your baby get into a crawling position by getting up on her hands and knees? Nope, not yet! She still hates being on her belly, except when she's sleeping.

*Fine Motor*
    8. Does your baby grab a toy you offer and look at it, wave it about or chew on it for about 1 minute? Yes

9. Does your baby pick up a small toy, hold it in the center of her hand with her fingers around it? I think so? Haha. She holds stuff in lots of different ways.

10. Does your baby try to pick up a crumb or Cheerio by using his thumb and all of his fingers in raking motion even if he isn’t able to pick it up? Not sure--haven't tried yet!

*Problem Solving*

13. Does your baby play by banging a toy up and down on the floor or table? Yes, although she's just as happy banging her hands!

*Personal Social*
    14. Does your baby act differently towards strangers than he does with you or other familiar people? Yes! Stranger danger has been around since she started at the sitter's, but it's getting a tiny bit better. If I'm still in sight, she has a higher tolerance for other people now.

15. While you baby is on his back, does he put his foot in his mouth? Yes

8. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@Pumuckl: @Raindrop: @Radish: @charmed: Thank you for the wishes because I think they worked! She crawled a bit earlier (bubbles are very motivational apparently) but the pulling up is still persistent.

1. Does your baby make high-pitched squeals? YES. She's SO loud lol. She usually does the loud ones at home but sometimes in public now.

2. If you call your baby when you are out of sight, does she look in the direction or your voice? Yes.

3. Does your baby make sounds like “da,” “ga,” “ka,” and “ba”? Yep!

*Gross Motor*

4. While your baby is on his back, does your baby lift his legs high enough to see his feet? Yes.

5. When you put your baby on the floor, does she lean on her hands while sitting? Yes although she's doing less of that and more of balancing.

6. If you hold both hands just to balance your baby does he support his own weight while standing? Yep.

7. Does your baby get into a crawling position by getting up on her hands and knees? Definitely so now!

*Fine Motor*
    8. Does your baby grab a toy you offer and look at it, wave it about or chew on it for about 1 minute? Toys and non-toys alike lol

9. Does your baby pick up a small toy, hold it in the center of her hand with her fingers around it? Yes.

10. Does your baby try to pick up a crumb or Cheerio by using his thumb and all of his fingers in raking motion even if he isn’t able to pick it up? Yes!

*Problem Solving*

11. Does your baby pick up a toy and put it in his mouth? Yes.

12. Does your baby pass a toy back and forth from one hand to the other? Yes.

13. Does your baby play by banging a toy up and down on the floor or table? Lots of banging nowadays.

*Personal Social*

14. Does your baby act differently towards strangers than he does with you or other familiar people? Yes, however, she'll smile at anyone who calls her cute lol

15. While you baby is on his back, does he put his foot in his mouth? She's done it a few times but hates her foot in her mouth (lol) apparently.

9. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

@charmed: Good update! It sounds like your LO is close to crawling.

@mfa_lady: Good update too! Yay she can eat anything except honey. Since I have some food allergies my ped recommended for our first to stay away from nuts, peanuts, and shellfish I believe. Haha love the stranger danger part of your answers. Also wow your baby can sit up on her own already! That’s impressive.

@Radish: Haha you put her foot in her mouth for her!

@namaste: Wow she sounds *super* close to crawling. Fun update!

10. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@Raindrop: Ehh, don't give us too much credit! She has the strength, but not necessarily the balance. Ha! If anything (and I do mean anything) distracts her, she's toppling over like the rest of 'em.

11. Mrs. Blue

blogger / pomelo / 5361 posts

I know I've been MIA, but I'm coming up for air . . .

*Communication*
    1. Does your baby make high-pitched squeals? Yep, we call him Baby Pterodactyl.

2. If you call your baby when you are out of sight, does she look in the direction or your voice? Yes

3. Does your baby make sounds like “da,” “ga,” “ka,” and “ba”? He definitely babbles a lot, but I'll have to listen to see if he's making all those sounds.

*Gross Motor*
    4. While your baby is on his back, does your baby lift his legs high enough to see his feet? Yes

5. When you put your baby on the floor, does she lean on her hands while sitting? He can't sit at all, which I think is weird since he can get up on all fours and rock back and forth. It seems like he would be strong enough to at least do a sit with hand on the ground.

6. If you hold both hands just to balance your baby does he support his own weight while standing? Yep, he loves to "stand."

7. Does your baby get into a crawling position by getting up on her hands and knees? Yep. I think he'll be all over the place soon.

*Fine Motor*
    8. Does your baby grab a toy you offer and look at it, wave it about or chew on it for about 1 minute? Yes

9. Does your baby pick up a small toy, hold it in the center of her hand with her fingers around it? He grabs toys, but I'm not sure if I've paid attention to exactly how he is holding it.

10. Does your baby try to pick up a crumb or Cheerio by using his thumb and all of his fingers in raking motion even if he isn’t able to pick it up? Not sure--haven't tried yet.

*Problem Solving*

12. Does your baby pass a toy back and forth from one hand to the other? I think so.

13. Does your baby play by banging a toy up and down on the floor or table? Yes.

*Personal Social*
    14. Does your baby act differently towards strangers than he does with you or other familiar people? Well, he's pretty much the happiest baby ever, so he'll smile at anyone and let anyone hold him, but he laughs a ton and gives more smiles. with DH, his brothers, and me.

15. While you baby is on his back, does he put his foot in his mouth? Yes

12. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@Mrs. Blue: I feel the same way about sitting. I think she can't practice it in her crib like she does everything else and that's why she sucks at it.

B's first tooth popped through this morning! Hoping she doesn't get too feisty during nursing now.

13. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

@Mrs. Blue: Ok, your first answer made me *almost* split out my water while reading it. Baby Pterodactyl!! Also, wow very close to crawling!

@Radish: First tooth!! Good update.

14. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Radish: yay for teeth. We're still waiting over here.

Late to the party but here goes:
    *Communication*
    1. Does your baby make high-pitched squeals? Yes, it feels like all the time

3. Does your baby make sounds like “da,” “ga,” “ka,” and “ba”? Yes, although there's "ma" sounds too but then she here's another language than the other kids here

*Gross Motor*

5. When you put your baby on the floor, does she lean on her hands while sitting? Nope, not even close to sitting yet which is one of the main reason we haven't started solids yet (besides her not grabbing for food).

6. If you hold both hands just to balance your baby does he support his own weight while standing? This is by far her most favorite activity. She loves standing and sometimes even tries to take steps.

7. Does your baby get into a crawling position by getting up on her hands and knees? Trying really hard but not quite there yet.

*Fine Motor*
    8. Does your baby grab a toy you offer and look at it, wave it about or chew on it for about 1 minute? Yes and a lot longer most of the time.

9. Does your baby pick up a small toy, hold it in the center of her hand with her fingers around it? Yep

10. Does your baby try to pick up a crumb or Cheerio by using his thumb and all of his fingers in raking motion even if he isn’t able to pick it up? Not sure--haven't tried yet.

*Problem Solving*

13. Does your baby play by banging a toy up and down on the floor or table? Yes.

*Personal Social*
    14. Does your baby act differently towards strangers than he does with you or other familiar people? She's not overly picky over whom she smiles at yet.

15. While you baby is on his back, does he put his foot in his mouth? No not normally.

15. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

UUUuuuggghh. B just bit me really hard while nursing and made me bleed a lot. Anyone deal with this?

16. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

@Radish: Oh that's terrible! Are you okay?

Sorry I'm an EPer... so this doesn't happen to me.

17. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@Raindrop: I just nursed her on it again and it really wasn't painful at all, thankfully. She did try to bite me again, but she wasn't quick enough and I was able to stop her. My nipples aren't very sensitive for the most part.

18. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

@Radish: Oh that is a good update! She might be quick but mommy is quicker. I'm glad you are able to stop her from biting.

19. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@Radish: ouch! Hope it heals quickly. No teeth over here yet.

We started solids 2x a day and she is a little constipated! Been feeding her prunes these past couple days but not helping much. Anyone else going thru this? She doesn't seem uncomfortable but i feel bad.

20. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@SleepyMonkey: No experience, but I hope it doesn't start to cause problems! And be glad she has no teeth.

21. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@SleepyMonkey: I'm way late, but this happened to E, too! We have been doing prunes and trying to get her to sip water while she eats. It's kind of pointless (not a whole lot goes down the ol' pipe....she mostly drools it out onto her belly) but the prunes seem to help a little. It has to be a lot for it to work for her, though!

22. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

How's everybody doing? We have been great, but as of yesterday E has an ear infection and a viral rash. Poor little thing--I honestly think she probably looks worse than she feels, but it's so sad!

In other news, my brother in law and his wife told us yesterday that they're expecting, and due in February. I got SO emotional about it, which was unexpected, and then when they left I started thinking "Oh my gosh, when their baby comes, E might be WALKING. What if she can say "baby?" SHE'S GROWING UP SO FAST!" And then I got more emotional. All that to say, #momlife, y'all. I figured you guys would appreciate that!

23. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

@mfa_lady: Oh I'm so excited for you!!! Our LO's won't have any cousins for a.long.time... So I'm personally excited that your LO gets a cousin soon.

Haha I definitely think *way* ahead like you do! Totally understand getting emotional about this stuff.

24. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@mfa_lady: Aww, I hope she feels better asap! B has been off a bit this past week, not sure if she is working on another tooth or if it is just this wonder week leap or even possibly a little sick.

@Raindrop: Same here! No cousins for probably 5+ years.

25. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@mfa_lady: aw poor baby! Hope she feels better soon.

Doing well over here minus the constipation. She learned how to sit up for an extended period of time this past weekend and that is just supremely cute!

26. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@mfa_lady: Hope your little lady is feeling better again.

How's every one else?

We're doing well over here. We've finally quit the swaddle since she was happily rolling in it. We moved to a zippy and she seems to love it. She also had her first fever the other week but luckily it broke on its own within 2 days. Her routine 6 month check up with the pedi fell onto the day where the fever was worst and so it was nice to have someone check her ears etc. Her check up showed she is still such a peanut at only 25 inches and 15lbs 6oz. (Those were her brothers stats at 3 months). But she is totally healthy and happy otherwise. We're still waiting for teeth here though...

27. charmed

persimmon / 1177 posts

@Pumuckl: still waiting on teeth here too! Her gums are puffy and you can sort of see where the bottom two are coming in, but they haven't broke through yet.

Had her 6 month check up yesterday, and she just keeps getting bigger - 19 lbs and 28" (she is the same size as my friend's 12 mo old! )

Sleep has gotten a million times better since we did CIO. I hated to hear her cry, but I couldn't keep waking up every 45 min at night (and then have her take an hour to go back to sleep with rocking/nursing/etc). The first couple nights were the worst (cried for an hour on and off one night), but now she'll go to sleep without much fussing and can usually put herself back to sleep when she wakes up at night.

And last week she started crawling and sitting up on her own. I can't believe how quickly she can move, I can't let her out of my site for a second. I am anxiously waiting for our baby gate/playpen to arrive so I can get some things done again

How is everyone else doing?

28. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

Hello! We're doing well--six months today! Appt. is on the 30th, so I don't have stats, but man, she feels hefty! Still breastfeeding and eating solids, mainly at night. She likes it all so far. Will likely do more BLW when the top teeth come in. And speaking of teeth: two teeth on the bottom. Drool and hand chewing makes me wonder if the tops are starting to work through. I didn't realize it can be such a lonnnnng process.

Sleep is fine. I've only gotten up once with her the past two nights. Naps can be a pain when it takes more work to put her down. But things are feeling easier.

Flipping from tummy to back is a new thing that she seems to have down now, hallelujah. That was hairy time in our lives, getting stuck in the crib on her belly. No crawling, but spinning around, rolling, trying out all the moves. If it wasn't wrong, I would actually discourage the crawling b/c I know it changes everything. No more plopping her down and knowing she's safe. Stairs! Dog fur! Danger!

She plays peek-a-boo. I know all babies do this, but it was so fun to watch her discover the game. She lifted up a cloth and got a reaction. Big eyes looking all around, brain working hard.....you could see her figuring it out and it was awesome.

29. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

@charmed: how long did she cry for? I'm glad it worked and things are better for all!

@Pumuckl: awww. Sorry to hear she was sick. Sick babies are simply pitiful!

@mfa_lady: yes to being emotional. I was in the baby store the other day and two moms came in with newborns. They were so tiny and my baby looked so big! I got emotional, but I really do like the older phase. Things keep getting easier and easier.

Does anyone else fear they're jinxing themselves when they write things like that? I feel like we're going to face some major meltdowns and regression stuff b/c of my above statement.

30. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@Happygal: My bff's little lady is three weeks old and it's so weird to think that A isn't the "little baby" in my group any more! She is still an easy baby so I'm expecting to get it when she's a toddler ;P

A really wants to walk. I know she's nowhere near it but she gets frustrated when she tries to stand and can't balance lol Still crawling and playing! Her bottom teeth will come in any day now.

@Happygal: A is the SLOWEST teether ever. lol I can't believe how slow this process is.

31. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

Things are going well for us. She was waking more during the night the last couple of weeks (teething + wonder week), but the last two nights have been back to sttn and her naps have gotten better, so hoping that is behind us. 2 bottom teeth - I can never tell when they are coming in so no clue if any more are on the way. Started solids 1-2 weeks ago, so far she's eaten everything we've offered - avocado, pears, blueberries (oven roasted+cinnamon), banana. She is better at sitting, but certainly can't get their on her own and often doesn't care to sit. She is getting closer to crawling but I wouldn't be surprised if it still took her a bit. She scoots around get crib very effectively. Not sure if it's the heat or just her changing, but she no longer naps when we are out and about and that makes things a bit harder on me when she starts to get cranky and big sis is still playing. That's all I can think of right now.

I love all the new things all this little ones are doing, it won't be long until they are one and toddlers!

32. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@Happygal: I loved when DD1 started playing peek-a-boo on her own!

33. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

I've fallen hopelessly behind again.

C is about a week from seven months now. Maybe 17 lbs. super tall 28.5" a month ago.

We had a weight gain hiccup between five and six months when my supply crashed. She lost ten grams between appointments and we were instructed to go balls to the wall with solids. In two weeks she gained two pounds.

Right about that time I found out I'm expecting #3.

Since then it's been pretty crazy.

C has been crawling for a while now. Her favourite these days is climbing onto the sofa. I take the cushions off and let her use them as steps.
    Her sleep comes and goes. Multiple nights of STTN followed by nights of multiple wake ups. Two teeth on the bottom through, but not up.
    She can cruise two steps before sitting down. She learned to get into sitting about a week ago.
    Baby three is also due in January and we find out gender in two weeks! It's exciting and totally terrifying at the same time. I've had none of the symptoms I had with my first two so we didn't even find out until ten weeks.
    Needless to say I'm no longer at my prepregnancy weight and that box of maternity clothes that I kept forgetting to bring to the basement just ended up straight back in my drawers.

Hope you all are well!

34. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@oliviaoblivia: aahhhh congrats!!!

35. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@Radish: thanks!

36. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@oliviaoblivia: Congrats!!!

37. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

@Pumuckl: Good update! Glad to hear the fever broke. LO still only has 2 teeth, waiting for more to show up.

@charmed: Sounds like a good check up. Wow already crawling and sitting up! That's great.

@Happygal: We are 6 months today too! Great update!

@namaste: Good update! It is weird to not having the youngest in a group anymore... someone in my friend group had their second in May so my LO was dethroned pretty quickly. Haha.

@Radish: Great update!

@oliviaoblivia: Congrats on #3 again! It must be tough though being pregnant with a baby and a toddler. You are a super woman. Great update!

Tomorrow is our 6 month appointment! We are excited to start solids this weekend. I love hearing all the updates!

38. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

Doing well here...except for sleep issues. We did cio for motn feedings and since then she has been either waking up at 5am for the day or waking at 3am and screaming her face off for an hour and then falling back asleep until 5:30. Why does she think anything before 6am is an acceptable wake up time? Its brutal. Anyone have any suggestions? She goes to bed around 630/7. If i remember correctly, her sister never slept more than 11 hrs. 10.5 hrs was the norm. So maybe i should move her bedtime back? I dunno.

Other than that we are good. 16lbs10oz at her 6 mo appt on friday and 25 inches. Short and chubby! She is so smiley now and is such an easy baby. Loves peek a boo too! Loving this stage.

39. charmed

persimmon / 1177 posts

@Happygal: She cried for about 20 min at bedtime the first night, but cried for nearly an hour in the motn after she woke up to eat. Now she usually goes down with minimal crying (mostly just fussing).
    We've had a bit of a regression the past few days since she realized she can sit up in her crib. But overall she is sleeping more and crying much less (even with CIO).

@Radish: that's rough that she won't nap on the go!

@oliviaoblivia: walking! wow! and congrats again - glad to hear this pregnancy is going well

@SleepyMonkey: ugh, hate the 3am screaming! No advice but to hang in there! How are her naps during the day? I have to make sure A doesn't sleep more than 3 hours from naps or she wakes up and wants to play in the motn, or gets up super early.

40. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@charmed: i caved last night. She cried for an hour and a half...i thought they were supposed to cry less and less every night. She just seems to have more willpower with each night and isnt making any progress. Her naps def suck during the day. She doesnt get nearly.enough sleep in naps. She is out and about with older sis and the nanny, so i can't really control it. I don't want to keep my older daughter home all day just to get her to nap well. Ah. I guess i will revisit cio in a few weeks. I am on week 2 of 5 for solo parenting and i really need my sleep.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee