Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

New Year, New Babes - January 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@HappyBaker: the past two nights we've had the three am party where she just WON'T go back to bed until like five. Not cool baby.

2. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

Way behind with my January baby friends! Maybe it's b/c our babies are so busy now?

@mfa_lady: that is so, so scary! I'm so sorry. Poor little girl! That had to be terrifying to experience. Where do you get this Mum Mum crackers?

@oliviaoblivia: @happybaker: our sleep has taken a nose dive, too. Not that it was super great for very long, but I was happy things were getting better right before returning to work. I mainly blame not sleeping very much at daycare and think teething and almost crawling aren't helping out. She was up from 1-3:30ish the other night. I nursed her twice, changed her diaper and entire outfit, then finally had to just let her cry.

Baby J is busy and happy. I watch her army crawl around, get up in push-up mode, and roll all around and think, "Man, my baby is in better shape than I am!" Still not pulling up or full blown crawling--not so into the sitting up on her own. Diaper changes are a pain b/c she wants to flip and feel everything.

I love that little raking movement she's always doing with her hand. She loves to eat and makes such happy noises. I'm such a nervous nellie with choking that I can't do BLW, but she gets little pieces of soft fruit to gum up with her two teeth. I think things keep get easier and more fun, but it's a little bittersweet bc my baby is getting SO BIG! She's going to be leaving for college before I know it.

She is obsessed with our dog. Will grab a fist full of fur if she can, so I'm grateful our dog is learning to move away. I can't imagine her doing anything to the baby, but still want to play it safe. Anybody else have a pet-obsessed baby?

3. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

Trying to catch up....

@Pumuckl: I'm sorry you're having a rough go of it! How are things today?

@namaste: how's the paci weaning go? Are you doing a special kind of weaning schedule? It seems like J just quit one day. I kind of miss having something I could use to soothe her!

@sleepmonkey: CIO doesn't work so much for us either. I did do it the other night when I felt like there were no other options--I had done everything I could! But it seems easier to get up and nurse her than listen to her cry (we share a wall). I will let her fuss and cry now when I put her down, but judge how ramped up she is and go in earlier if needed--I don't let her go longer than 15 minutes or so.

@radish: I've only taken J to the pool once. She wasn't so into it when she was in my arms, but once I put her in the float, she was screaming and having a blast. I cut the party short when she would not stop trying to drink the water. Gross.

@raindrop: glad to hear things are going well! I've tried to figure out UFO--what does that stand for? Have you made a decision about pumping? I pump for work mid day and around 9:30 at night, that's it. Despite big signs on my doors, someone tried to walk in the other day. I yelled out, "No!" but part of me thinks I should have just let them walk in. I'm over it!

4. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@Raindrop: @Pumuckl: @Happygal: It was awful on day one but today, it's like it never existed. No schedule. I just took it away. She *just* started to get attached and I needed to cut the cord before it got insane.

5. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

@namaste: I've found (knock on wood) that transitions are scarier in my mind than in reality. Moving to the crib, stopping swaddling....might be a little bumpy at first, but it's a short period and then things are fine! Glad it went well.

6. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@Happygal: I think we hear scary stories and those stick with us longer than the success stories. Even though I had plenty of mom friends tell me it'd be fine, I had a lot of anxiety about it.

7. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

@namaste: I agree! I know the Wonder Weeks app is popular here and with my friends as well, but it does more to create the "this is going to be dreadful and I'm scared" feeling than anything else for me. I only looked a few times!

8. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

@Happygal: Haha I love the "my baby is in better shape than I am"! I feel that way too. UFO = un-finished object in quilting terms. I have kind of obsessive personality when I'm all in I'm all in. Before I had no time for quilting I had about 30 unfinished quilts going and now I'm thinking about *just* finishing them but I also have like 300+ yards of fabric too... Yeah I'm bad!! Though when I was going through my fabric a year ago I donated some of it to this cause that turned unwanted fabric into re-useable bags for shopping. I might do that again or maybe I'll try to just sew through what I have and not buy anymore fabric... but sewing usually leads to ... oh I need one fabric to complete this pattern.. that leads to buying... and hey you are already buying might as well get a couple of other cute fabrics.... and so the cycle goes...

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm going to quit pumping at max 9 months, I'm actually considering quiting sooner. I'm going to see how it plays out but I'm loosing an ounce every week now.

@namaste: I'm so glad that was a somewhat smooth transition!! Congrats!!

9. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@HappyBaker: @oliviaoblivia: So glad I am not the only one that suddenly has to have a dance party for 2 hours between 1-3am It has gotten better for us though. Knock on wood she even slept 11pm-7:30am tonight without a feed.

@Happygal: Thanks for asking Things have been getting better. The kids are pretty much over their colds just some minor runny noses. My nose is still pretty stuffed but then that will hopefully go away too.

Little J is still not crawling although she is SOOOO close. She loves watching her big brother showing her how to do it

@namaste: Yeah for weaning going so well!

10. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@Happygal: I get Mum Mums at Target! There's nothing really nutritious about them, but they're super safe for learning self feeding. I love watching E eat them! She's eating little stuff now, though, all of a sudden she can do it! She had turkey burgers and homemade fries with us the other night! It was awesome. Some stuff I make isn't cut-into-little-pieces friendly, but it's nice to know she can eat with us now when it's easier.

11. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

How are you ladies doing?

LO has started sort of crawling. It's been kind of funny because we are trying to record it. Our rules for recording video is that it can't be more than 30 seconds long.

So it has gone like this... LO starts to crawl ... we bust out our iphones start recording... LO stops looks at us and maybe does a flip to his back and play with whatever he has. We stop recording at 30 seconds and start again. The moment has passed. We have about 20 videos of him staring at us or rolling around and ignoring us. Dang it's hard to get him crawling!! I'm sure when he's really good at crawling it will be easy peasy to get a video. But for right now it's like darn it all I want to do is get a video to share with my ILs since they live far away.

12. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@Raindrop: Awww, been there! I usually record forever and then I trim it to the good part or delete it altogether if she doesn't do what she *just* did prior to recording it. In a few weeks you won't be able to keep him still.

We are good over here, she finally got her top 2 teeth in after weeks of teething. 4 teeth down, a mouthful to go.

13. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

Hey everyone!
    How are you and the babies doing?

Things here are a little turbulent. First there was the first multi day fever which was due to a stomach bug, then she finally got her two buttom teeth and we're in the middle of the 9 month sleep regression paired with an awful cold. Other than that we're fine (albeit tired😁).

14. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

Hi!

We're doing really well. C is such a pleasant baby. DD1 is in preschool three mornings a week and it's nice to have mama and baby time.
    She's walking which is just crazy. She's done six steps in a row and then sits down like that's enough waking for now.
    3.5 months until #3 arrives.

15. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@oliviaoblivia: wow getting so close to no. 3! And wow for walking! J 's finally fully crawling and trying to pull to stand. Glad she's got that down before going to daycare in November (where she'll be the youngest in her group so I am glad she can fully move since she is still so small and light).

16. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

We're doing well here too. L is crawling / standing / cruising on furniture and basically a danger kid so he can not be out of sight! He loves electrical outlets / plugs and seriously anything that can hurt him, it's nuts.

We had to do a milk trial the past few weeks to get our insurance to still cover his Nutramigen, because they think kids grow out of the milk allergy / intolerance by 8 months, and it was pretty miserable. He definitely still can't handle it so we're hoping they'll approve it, and in the meantime just paying out of pocket for it.

He hadn't been very interested in solids but this weekend it seems like something clicked? All of a sudden he was actually opening his mouth when we try to feed him. He has 6 teeth so I wonder if just the past couple of months growing them all had him not want anything else in his mouth.

17. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

Also he still wakes up once a night for a 6 oz bottle! But he goes back down super easy and he is still tiny so I'm not sure we are going to try to stop...he has his 9 month check up today so we'll see what the ped says!

18. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@Pumuckl: Oh no! So sorry you guys haven't been feeling well. Hope things are on the up-and-up, though! We've been having what I think is a mild 9-mo regression at night, too. She was STTN but has been waking to scream and thrash around from about 11-1 or 2 more nights than not the past couple of weeks. I hope it passes soon!

@oliviaoblivia: Can hardly believe #allthethings. A walker, another about to get here--you guys are rocking and rolling! Cannot WAIT to see pics of your three girls together--and I won't have to wait long!

@HappyBaker: So sorry milk is still a no-go. But isn't it fun to watch them crawl around on things? We're having a great time, although also learning we have a lot of pointy corners in our house.

19. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

@Pumuckl: Good update! I hope your little one feels better soon! Teething is rough.

@oliviaoblivia: I seriously think you give birth to super humans! Walking already that's amazing! I can't believe you are about to have another newborn soon. You are a super mom.

@HappyBaker: Haha it’s funny kids just know what’s dangerous! I swear if I put 100 items in front of my kids and one is dangerous … they will go for that one item all the time.

I hope the milk trial goes well! I know Nutramigen is expensive.

@mfa_lady: Oh I hope she starts SSTN again! Otherwise how are things going with you?

Everything here is great. LO#2 is army crawling like a pro. He doesn’t seem to be interested in traditional crawling yet.

He goes to bed around 8pm but wakes up at 1am and 6 am for milk and fully wakes up at 8am. Usually just stick a bottle in his mouth and he falls back asleep while drinking. My mother wonders if it’s because of the breastmilk because LO#1 slept through the night starting at 3 months when he was switched over to being fully formula feed. I guess we will find out when I actually decide to stop pumping.

LO#2 has 4 teeth now. He is a lot happier these days though he was a pretty cute grumps I’m glad he seems to be over that phase.

20. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

Love reading the updates. Here is my quick update.

B has 6 teeth now. She mostly army crawls, but I think it is a preference as I've seen her actually crawl a few time? She can pull up, but doesn't cruise yet. She loves to pretend walk. She has been having MOTN wake ups 2 times a night for months, I kept thinking it was teething, but now I just think it is habit. She loves food, especially finger foods. She is obsessed with cords and I'm constantly pulling her out of the fireplace.

21. sorrycharlie

hostess / watermelon / 14932 posts

Reminding myself to check in later once everyone's asleep

22. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

Can't believe our babies are almost toddlers. I keep thinking that it's 3 months until I start weaning and that just seems like such a short amount of time! What are everyone's plans on that, if you are still nursing? I just want to drop the day feeds (mostly pumping) and keep the morning and bedtime feeds at a year.

J just started crawling a couple days ago. I keep telling people she was to chubby to move 😂 She has 2 bottom teeth but no others yet. Her sleep still sucks. Sometimes wakes up once, sometimes twice and sometimes 3x. Done sttn maybe less than 10x. I am so tired. We tried sleep training (cio) for two weeks and there was no progress. So we quit. I don't really know what to do. I wonder if she will stop when I wean. Sigh. I celebrate when she has one wake up! That is a victory to me. She is also getting way more opinionated and let's us know when she is mad. And she claps (when we say clap or "good job!") and I think she can sign "more" for food. She loves eating real food! We chop up whatever we are eating and feed it to her. If we try to feed her purées and we are eating real food, she gets pissed! Haha. She still gags quite a bit though, so I have to chop things up really well.

23. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@SleepyMonkey: oh yes, B loves clapping and waving hi! She actually learned to clap from my attempts to get her to sign more I think.
    @sorrycharlie: update, woman.

24. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Radish: I am so glad to read we're not the only ones with 2 night wake ups. She was STTN at 4-5 months but wakes twice ever since. Oh well, her brother STTN at 11 months without prompting so I am hoping she'll just do so too once she's ready.

@SleepyMonkey: We've dropped all daytime feeds since she eats 4 meals of solids a day and additionally drinks water. She'll start daycare next month and they don't deal with milk etc. (They don't officially take any kids under 12 months, so they don't have to.)

I am a little worried how daycare will go since she still takes two very solid naps and they are only napping once. But then they told me they'd put her down at additional times if she needs it, but still... Oh well I'm sure it'll be fine.

@sorrycharlie: you forgot to come back 😜

We'll take both kids on a transatlantic trip in November - excited and scared at the same time. I know they both do well on airplanes (we've flown with both of them multiple times) just never together and it'll be J's first long flight and B's first flight with his own seat.

25. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

Hey Ladies!! I feel a little silly trying to keep this thread going but heck I really like you guys and it's cute our kids are the same age.

Anyways how are you ladies?

How are your 9 month olds?!?! It's crazy to think they are 9 months now.

Mine is doing great. He has 5 teeth right now. He eats like a champ. Still army crawling. He's able to go from sitting to crawling but not the other way around. He just started clapping. Still not sleeping through the night though!!

26. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@Raindrop: doing well! We went to our 9 month appt today and she is 28" and 19lbs12oz. Chunky monkey 🐒 Has 2 teeth and loves eating everything. Including non-food items. Everything goes into her mouth. The other day she was chewing and there was half a puzzle piece in her mouth. She cried when I fished it out. She is starting to pull up to standing and cruising. Still a little lazy when it comes to crawling though. Still a bad sleeper! She is so sweet though and happy.

27. sorrycharlie

I keep forgetting to come check in! Just getting in bed (how sad) so I'll read and catch up tomorrow. I can't believe how old they are Charlotte is cruising and refuses to eat purées.. Working on teeth 4&5! My oldest didn't get her 3/4 til her first bday.

28. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

Things are crazy. C is a walking and climbing machine. She's 31" and 19lbs 14oz... string bean!

She's so much fun. Literally the happiest person I've ever met. She and L are such a riot together I can't believe there's going to be third little lady in 2.5 months.

What are everyone's plans for 1st birthdays and Christmas?

I'm feeling pretty lazy. I wasn't too throw her a bday party but with it being between the holidays and my bump getting bigger by the day it'll be so much easier if we don't.

29. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@SleepyMonkey: B gets so mad when I fish the hundred things she shouldn't be eating out of her mouth!

B loves to eat solids and hates to nap right now. 9 months tomorrow. Pulling up but not really cruising yet. She's obsessed with big sister right now - claps, smiles and giggles whenever she walks into the room.

@oliviaoblivia: I'm throwing her a first birthday but planning A's 3rd birthday first. Jan will actually be a crazy month for me so I'm not even sure what I'll manage, but we will do something.

30. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@oliviaoblivia: I still can't believe your next one is already going to be here so soon! Hope you are feeling good!

L is doing great, I feel like a switch flipped for solids (purees) and now he's eating them like a champ. We need to start real food and a straw cup, he still hasn't figured out a straw at all. He is also obsessed with his big sister and just generally a happy kid. He's SO close to walking / standing / I think he thinks he can because he loves to just let go of things and lunge forward.

After selling all of my baby things as he has grown out of them, I recently decided I DO really want a #3, which is pretty crazy since I was sooooo done when L was born. We have to wait at least another year or two so DD is in kindergarten or at least cheaper preschool, but I'm excited about it now!

ETA: We might skip a birthday party / just celebrate when we see family for the holidays (his is 1/5.) I feel bad since I threw big parties for his sister but her bday is in September and it's so much easier!

31. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

@HappyBaker: meal time had started to be not as much fun a few weeks or so ago. I visited one of my sisters and she started throwing finger foods onto J's tray, and I was amazed to watch her go at it. I held a spoon to her mouth the other day and she kept it shut, looking at me like, "Why?" Funny babies. I found a straw cup we like-Innobaby, but it's a little fussy to figure out at first.

I doubt we'll do much past just us for her birthday. Let's be honest--the one-year birthday party is more for the parents than anything else! There's a cupcake place in town, and maybe I'll ask a few friends to stop by if they're free to watch her eat a cupcake . . . whatever we do, it will be very laid back.

Let's see...baby J is pulling up, crawling, two teeth on the bottom, 3ish on top. Signs "more," says "uh-oh," waves bye-bye, says "dada," (not convinced she knows what this means, but it gets huge smiles from my husband!) She is NOT sleeping through the night, but slept until 5 this morning after I let her cry for a bit last night. She's happy, but is very comfortable letting me know when she's displeased.

It's all so much fun and I can't believe how much of a big baby she seems to be these days.

32. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@oliviaoblivia: A & C have very similar stats right now!

A is doing great. Lots of steps but no solid walking although with a push toy, she's a runner. She says quite a few words
    "up, cat, car, bye-bye" are the latest ones. She signs milk but says mom for food. Babies are so crazy! She'll be starting daycare next year and I'm super sad about it but I'm happy we spent the first year together.

I love throwing parties so we're doing a "cabin in the woods" for her first in six weeks! Lots of plaid, hot cocoa bar, s'mores, birch paper straws, reading tent lol it's easier to throw a party when you own so many of the things already.

33. sorrycharlie

we are going to have a party..I obsess a little over making sure I do things equally lol. I'm leaning toward Winter One-derland at the end of January to space it out a bit from Christmas

34. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

I cannot believe the first January 2015 babies are turning 1 this month! How is everyone?

35. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@Pumuckl: I know it's crazy!

We are doing good, L will be one on 1/5 so really soon! We are still up in the air on the party thing, we threw a huge bash for his older sister but her bday is in September so we had it outside....not sure I want a giant party in my house (and if we invite aunts/uncles/cousins it gets big fast!).

L has recently been loving table food and doing pretty good with it, before he would gag and throw up a lot but he's doing better everyday. He moves up to the toddler class at daycare in January which is crazy to me!

36. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

Things are good.
    Baby sister is just so cuddly and affectionate right now. I'm loving this age!
    We're just going to have a small family party for her when my family is here visiting #3. Taking the easy way out, but I think she'll still be happy.

37. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

Can't believe we're having this conversation already! E is doing great--such a fun age. Having a good old time all day, every day, and trying so hard to walk. She toddles around holding onto to us with just one hand, but I think she still has a ways to go before she's doing it on her own.

Also--I have to post from my phone because that's where the picture is, but does anybody want an 18M "My 1st Birthday" onesie? My work put it in a gift basket for me when she was born, and my little shrimp would be swimming in it. I'll send it to you for free! Pic to come next.

38. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

Any takers? It's yours if you want it.

39. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@mfa_lady: I'd have a swimmer too J is just growing into her 12m cloths! She's such a peanut, especially since she's the size at a year that her older brother was at 5/6 months. She's still only 17.5lbs!

@oliviaoblivia: Sounds like a good plan! Can't believe you'll have another newborn in just a month! Enjoy Xmas with your two now!

@HappyBaker: So glad he's loving table food! We'll have some family over for her first birthday but we haven't really figured the logistics out just yet.

J is doing really well too! She only has a couple of teeth but is loving table food and eats just about anything that you put in front of her. Her brother loves feeding her all sorts of things so we have to be careful - no chocolate for our 11 month yet. She's crawling at lightning speed and gets into trouble easily so I'm glad she's not walking yet. She pulls up and cruises but it'll be another 2-3 months until she can walk (I think). She has a really determined streak in her though so who knows! She's otherwise just such a good natured little person who isn't slow to smile and can pretty much light up a room with her grin. She's still nursing morning and evening and once or twice at night usually. I'll start only offering water at night once she's a year old. She had just begun to STTN before we left for vacation so maybe now that things are back to normal she'll resume it. We'll see. Since it's just feed her and back to bed 5 minutes later with no issues it's not that bad.

40. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

So it looks like the gift I'm giving baby J for her birthday is growing a sibling for her. Just took a pregnancy test and it's a glowing

My husband is away right now and I really want to share in a fun way. Ideas? It's too late to order a big sister t-shirt. Help me out! We tried for almost two years for the first, so I told him as soon as I took the test. I've had one postpartum period that was 1 day, and I ovulated late in the game over the holidays, so I really didn't think it was going to happen this month. I'm in happy shock.

@mfa_lady: @oliviaoblivia: @Pumuckl: @sorrycharlie: @HappyBaker: tagging just a few people to last respond here to get some ideas!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee