Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

October 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@NovBaby1112: we have tried soothies and avent, and DD won't take either I really want her to take a paci. I may try mam newborn and the natursutten since I"ve heard good things about them.

2. BelugaBean

pomegranate / 3516 posts

@hilsy85: She gets angry and gives up quickly, I'm not at all sure why.

3. BelugaBean

pomegranate / 3516 posts

@NovBaby1112: She seems to be able to latch but don't keep at it for long and seems angry/uncomfortable. So we'll see what the LC says but we might just keep pumping.

4. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@BelugaBean: yay for weight gain.... Good luck with the LC.

@HILSY85: you didn't get mastitis this time right? My left breast has been sore off and on the last two days. No redness, no pain nursing, and can't feel a clogged duct lump, but it's so sore. I'm hoping this doesn't lead to an infection. Been using a heating pad, massaging it and nursing more on that side... Not sure why this has happened twice in the last week. I think a couple of my nursing tanks might be too tight. I also slept on that boob the other night. Maybe that hurt it?

@NovBaby1112: we have just used soothies. So annoying that they don't stay in. I bought s wubanub too but that didn't really help it stay in at this point.

@MamaBear87: congrats!! Love the name Gemma!!

5. Mrs. Pickle

blogger / wonderful cherry / 21628 posts

@NovBaby1112: the only pacifier I can get DD to take is a Wubbanub and she refused it most of the time. I wish she'd take it!

6. Mrs. Goose

pear / 1737 posts

@MamaBear87: woo! Congrats.

7. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@MamaBear87: congrats!! Welcome to the other side!

8. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@hilsy85: soooo precious! I can't wait to see ours, it should be soon. We go in to the photographers home studio to pick out the prints and what not and whatever we choose we get digital copies of too.

9. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

Is anyone else's lo spitting up a lot? I would still say he's a happy spitter but ds spits up pretty much every time he's on his back. We have the bassinet elevated on one side but he still spits up frequently at night. I feel like between that and the congestion from the cold he isn't sleeping well.

10. Mrs. Pickle

@MamaBear87: congratulations!

11. BelugaBean

pomegranate / 3516 posts

We went to the LC today. She has the same gap in her front teeth as her older sister but they don't think that's an issue. She also has a shorter tongue but seems to be moving it just fine. The main issue they found is a bubble/high arched palate. She can't latch easily because of it and that's why she's getting frustrated and giving up. It looks like something that'll become less of an issue as her mouth gets bigger as long as she'll still nurse at that point. So she gave me tips on continuing to work on latching and told me to just keep trying if it's not too frustrating and gave me tips on pumping.

12. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

Guess whose preschooler has a stomach bug now! we went to the pumpkin patch today and by the time we got home dd was running an almost 102 fever and puking. Hopefully it spares the rest of us...

Ds is still congested from the cold but otherwise has been doing great! He is still spitting up a lot and not the BEST sleeper but he is gaining (he's almost 10 lbs, born 8 lbs 3.5 weeks ago) and I am just trying to savor this! Before he was born I was still wondering if we even made the right choice to have a second, after getting into such a good groove as a family of three. Now, I could totally picture having a couple more if we had the time and money! 😋 please let him stay so laid back!!! I'm still sort of dreading the six week fussies! But I am so excited for the first real smiles!

I wish we all could share more photos but I'm just nervous for them to be out there for the world to find. The ones you all have shared are so adorable though!!

13. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@BelugaBean: that sounds like a lot of work but I'm glad for you that you at least got some answers.

14. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

@BelugaBean: I hope she is able to latch soon for you! At least you sort of know why now and hopefully as her mouth gets bigger it'll get easier!

@2littlepumpkins: oh no!! I hope your dd gets better ASAP and you guys don't all get sick..,,I have s feeling this is going to be s tough winter as far as sicknesses go with the toddlers and newborns at home sucks bc there is really nothing you can do! DS doesn't spit up much yet...I don't think it's an issue though as long as they aren't screaming during it and gaining?

15. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

Ok wtf is going on with this postpartum bleeding?! I seriously think I might be getting my period?? Is that possible? My bleeding had been slowing down the last week, just a drop here and there of brownish blood, no need to even wear pad. I just woke up with period cramps, bloating, and back pain and I'm bleeding bright red now and had to put on a pad. It feels like my period! But I have no clue if it's possible this early. I got it back around 7-8 weeks with LO1, so I figured it would come early again but not this soon! I guess I'll just have to wait it out another month and see.

16. Charm54

cantaloupe / 6885 posts

@BelugaBean: hope the latch gets better soon! It makes sense that as she gets older and her mouth gets bigger the latch would become easier for her. FX!

@2littlepumpkins: aww, poor dd! I hate that having a toddler around makes the babies more susceptible to illness, but I guess that's life. If anything these babies will have hearty immune systems I hear you on the photos...if anyone wanted to start a private FB group to share pictures I'd be game!

@NovBaby1112: my bleeding has picked up too! But luckily I don't have any cramping with it..it's frustrating because just when I think my bleeding has stopped and i can ditch the pads, a big rush of red blood comes along. I definitely didn't bleed this long with DD1, but I read online it's normal?

DD2 has been SO fussy in the evenings....last night was very challenging. She sounds so pissed off/in pain and I can't do anything to help. I was hoping the moby would calm her but she hates the thing. Luckily when she does finally calm down around 9pm she conks out and sleeps really well (it's 4am here and she's just starting to stir now!)... I hope it's not silent reflux or something . She doesn't ever spit up, but she chokes/gags quite a bit every single feeding. These babies are so hard to figure out!!

17. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@2littlepumpkins: dd is definitely spitting up more than ds did--I have to make sure to burp her well after every feeding. But she doesn't seem to be uncomfortable so I guess it's normal?
    @BelugaBean: I hope it gets easier! Did they check for a posterior tongue tie/lip tie? That's what dd had along with a high palette.

@2littlepumpkins: ugh oh no!! Not a stomach bug!! I hope everyone else stays healthy. Dd is also very congested/-so sad to hear her sniffling!

@NovBaby1112: that would suck if it is your period!!

@Charm54: sorry about the fussiness but wow that's amaizng sleep!!!

18. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

@Charm54: hmm maybe it's just picking up again, I really hope it's not my period!! As far as evening fussiness goes, I think it's super common! C gets fussy around 6pm and we've found the pnly things that help calm him are warm bath, swaddle, paci and white noise. I have to hold him from basically 6-8pmabd then he passes out at 8. I am so jealous of your long sleep stretch, that is awesome!

@hilsy85: I hope not either!!

19. BelugaBean

pomegranate / 3516 posts

@hilsy85: Both her and her sister have thicker frenulums which she said are essentially a lip tie but watching her, she said that's not making s difference, especially since LO1 had it and nursed all the time. She also has a shorter tongue but they looked at that too and said that's not affecting how she moves her tongue at all.

20. MamaBear87

nectarine / 2288 posts

Gemma and I got to go home yesterday, we were so ready. She slept in four hour chunks last night and my bleeding already seems to be slowing, so I'm feeling pretty good.
    My nipples are def having a rough time tho. She latches good and eats well but I can see an lc for 40 bucks so I might go next week just to have an expert check on things.

21. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@BelugaBean: oh ok...I know for us, the lip tie made a huge difference. I hope that she is able to latch soon!

@hellobeeboston: nope no mastitis this time, thank goodness!! I think it was because we got DD's tongue tie/lip tie taken care of much sooner. Are you still having pain? Have you tried the diaper trick--pour hot water in a diaper and hold it on the sore spot. It holds the heat/moisture much better than a washcloth or heating pad.

@MamaBear87: hope you are settling in well! It is definitely worth it to have an LC check you guys out, just to make sure her latch is ok and your nips are ok!

22. Mrs. Goose

pear / 1737 posts

@MamaBear87: that's good! It's probably worth it to go see an LC. And use some nipple cream and let them air out when you can. That has helped me.

I am at the clinic getting an antibiotic because I am pretty sure my incision got infected. I also ripped a stitch and it has been bleeding a little bit. I think I did it last night. I did the feeding and diaper change in the middle of the night solo because I wanted my hubby to be able to sleep. She sleeps amazingly at night, but today has been a crappy sleep day. She woke up at 7:45 and we couldn't get her to fall asleep until about 2 this afternoon...it was kind of stressful. And apparently I need to take it easy...I am still dealing with that aspect and am really emotional about the surgery and not being able to take care of her myself.

@Charm54: J is also fussy in the evenings. Last night was a few hours of I think just suckling but not drinking. Then at 12 she finally drank very speedily, probably about 5 minutes and finally fell asleep at 12:20 she slept until 5 ish when I woke her up to feed her so that's the trade off for me right now and I'll take it.

@NovBaby1112: I thought mine was tapering off after a few days, but I was wrong and it's bright red still and there are clots. It is crappy.

23. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@NovBaby1112: @Charm54: @hilsy85: dd was up every 5-10 mins for a few hours last night and spiked a temp just about 105! I was freaking out since I've never seen her with a temp that high. But today she seems back to her normal self. Hope we are spared! Poor kiddo was miserable.

Edit, I take it back, temp went back up to 101, she fell asleep about an hour after some Tylenol.

@Mrs. Goose: That is a lot on your plate. Take care of yourself as much as you can. I think I looked out a little too much for my dh with our first.. I know this is unsolicited but I say let yours help you! At least for now.

24. Mrs. Pickle

@MamaBear87: yay for going home! I saw an LC to check DDs latch when she was a few days old for peace of mind. I definitely think it's a good idea!

@Mrs. Goose: oh goodness, that sounds rough! I hope you can take it easy and recover.

25. Mrs. Pickle

Does anyone else's LO hate the car seat? DD screams about half the time. She gets so hysterical. When I pull her out of it she's drenched in sweat. I'm not sure if there is anything I can do to make it better for her.

26. Rainbow Sprinkles

eggplant / 11287 posts

I am about to lose my mind with the sleep! I can't even count how often she wakes at night--and the only thing that will soothe her is nursing. She just cries and cries if poor DH even tries to pick her up! I am NURSING AROUND THE CLOCK, all night long. Anyone else?

27. Rainbow Sprinkles

eggplant / 11287 posts

@NovBaby1112: So we started using the Chicco clear all-silicone pacifiers. I was trying to get her to take the ones that have a straight end (like the classic Avent soothies), but it seemed like they just didn't have enough for her to "grab" onto, and they were just falling out or she wouldn't take them at all. We've had really good luck with these ones. And I like the look of them!

http://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/chicco-reg-naturalfit-age-newborn-soft-silicone-orthodontic-pacifier-in-clear-2-pack/1042391432

28. birdofafeather

pineapple / 12053 posts

Still in the hospital so hard to catch up with everyone just yet, but glad to be here with you ladies. Unfortunately, Scout has jaundice levels and in our hospital, that means NICU for bili lights. Which means I'm getting discharged and going home but without my newborn. I know she's gonna be fine and R had to go under lights too, so that doesn't worry me, but I was pretty emotional this morning thinking about it. So now I'm pumping with the hospital pump as well as BFing her. Thankfully she's been latching like a champ and has barely lost anything, but I'm having to let go of expectations already. Part of being a mama. Praying we can get her home to us tomorrow night or Sunday at the latest! Waking up to pump tonight instead of to hang with her is gonna be the pits, but going to use the opportunity to try and catch up on sleep since we haven't had much in the last two nights with a 3 am delivery.

29. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@birdofafeather: so sorry to hear she has to stay behind I hope she is home with you soon!!!

30. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@2littlepumpkins: eek! 105 that is scary! hope she is feeling better tomorrow.

@Rainbow Sprinkles: maybe a growth spurt? how old is she now?

31. Charm54

cantaloupe / 6885 posts

@NovBaby1112: I'm glad to hear it's common to be fussy In evenings ...I feel like DD1 was too, but it all seems so long ago I can't remember!

@MamaBear87: welcome home! That's awesome sleep for such a young baby - enjoy!

@Mrs. Goose: oh no...I hope your incision heals quickly. That's awesome sleep though! That's what Dh told me - we can deal with the cranky baby for a few hours in the evenings if she continues to sleep as well as she has.

@2littlepumpkins: OMG! Poor kiddo, and how scary for you! Hope she's feeling better

@Rainbow Sprinkles: hope some sleep comes your way soon. I find everything is harder when you are sleep deprived.

@birdofafeather: I'm so sorry you have to be discharged without your LO We went through the same thing with DD1, she had to go to the NICU for jaundice and dehydration on the day we were all supposed to go home. She ended up staying an extra week. Of course it's all fine now, but in the moment I was so emotional. Hoping you are home soon.

32. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@birdofafeather: sending you hugs and hoping your baby is home soon! My brother had to stay an extra week in the hospital when he was born and I remember that being tough for my mom. Hope you get a little extra sleep and she is back with you in no time!

@hilsy85: @Charm54: so she napped and woke up seemingly better, again. Her temp stayed down last night so if we make it to this afternoon she will be 24 hrs fever free and can go TOTing although we will just go a little while and we will keep her hands clean and to herself for the most part. Hope ds is ok...

@Rainbow Sprinkles: we are bottle feeding but noticing some cluster like patterns and a bit more alertness and fussiness. Hope it improves soon!

@Mrs. Pickle: my first did. Is dressing lighter an option or are you already dressing her lightly? It would be awesome if it ended up being that simple. My son doesn't like being strapped in but if we time it to naps he has done ok as long as we keep moving long enough for him to fall asleep. Other than that I have no idea why some just hate car seats. If it helps my dd did outgrow it after a few months, and with naps being more predictable at that point it got easier to get out of the house.

33. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

@Mrs. Goose: that sounds painful! I hope the antibiotics kick in quickly!

@Mrs. Pickle: DD hated the car seat with a passion the first few months. Nothing worked unfortunately so far DS doesn't seem to mind as long as he is fed and has paci in.

@Rainbow Sprinkles: thanks for the paci Rec!! Ill check those out!

@birdofafeather: so sorry you are home without her! I hopes she gets to go home soon!!

34. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

Can you ladies believe it's officially November?! Our babies are going to turn one month this month. October went so fast!

35. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

Also if anyone else wants to fb/if/whatever I'm up for that too! I wonder if I have anyone on my ig from when I was on hb with lo1.

36. BSB

hostess / wonderful apple seed / 16729 posts

@2littlepumpkins: my babies will be 2 months but are 1 month adjusted. Crazy to think how small they were when they were born. I'm sorta in denial that they are pretty much out of newborn clothes. Looking back at their NICU pics and their tiny preemie clothes. My babies are growing so fast. DS has been dealing with some painful gas. It's so sad seeing him cry in pain. We are going to try gas drops the next time he is in pain. (It was until I saw first hand how fussy and miserable he was that I realized I had gas drops. MIL is here and only she and DH has seen the painful gas pains he has. I have been asleep for most of it because they let me sleep in the AM.) On the other hand, DD is fine. I think DS is colic but I'm not sure. Is painful gas colic. I think colic when he is fussy but then think it's not when he is being good. I'm just not sure. Trying some bicycle exercises, tummy massages and gas drops (or gripe water) to see if that helps.
    Oh, I'll be up for a FB group.

@Rainbow Sprinkles: Sleep was rough for us in the bassinet but we now get more success with the RnP with swaddle and white noise... Usually. Now, we are dealing with gas.

Oh, yeah, I'm a BF dropout. My babies would wake up hungry after BFing an hour earlier. Having two babies, I just couldn't do it. Supplementing with formula keeps them asleep for at least 2 hours. I am still pumping. Well, after 3 week hiatus, I'm pumping again to build up some supply.

So for US ladies, you guys thinking about going back to work? I just emailed my boss to tell him that I plan to be back to work on Dec 7th. Countdown begins...

37. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@bluestriped bee: ugh. I can't think about going back yet! I have 2 more months, going to head back january 4, my leave technically puts me back around Xmas but it's such a weird time, I'm just going to go back in the new year....

@2littlepumpkins: i hope your LOs are feeling better......my babe is a month old already and I cannot believe it, nor can I believe it's November! What?!

@NovBaby1112: are you still bleeding? Think it's your period??

@birdofafeather: I hope your daughter gets to come home with you SOON! Love her name by the way!!

@Rainbow Sprinkles: any better?? My son likes to nurse a ton sometimes, mainly before bed, and he's had like 3 growth spurts I think where he eats all. The. Time.

38. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@2littlepumpkins: crazy! October 1st, when it was just the beginning of our due date month, seems so far away! and I would be up for a fb group...I am on IG a lot, I am hverbuch on there.

@bluestriped bee: sorry about the gas DD is a bit gassy but seems able to pass it on her own for the most part.

We are doing well over here--DD had her 2 week appt on Friday and she was 8lbs 5 oz and 21 inches long. I noticed that she has a tendency to look to her right, so working on making sure she turns her head evenly so she doesn't get a flat spot.

Question about spit up--she will sometimes spit up what looks like fountains of milk, and it's not the curdled looking spit up--it literally looks like it just went down and came right back up. When that happens, do you feed them after they spit up because it means their tummies are empty? Or do they spit up because they ate too much?

In other news, LO1 is driving us INSANE. he has been up every single night since we brought DD home from the hospital--last night he was up for 3 HOURS, from 11:30-3:30. He wants someone to sit with him and hold his hand until he falls asleep, but it literally takes hour for him to go back to sleep. Any advice?? I am going to ask the pedi about it as well. DH and I are dying for sleep between him and DD.

39. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

@2littlepumpkins: I know, crazy! C turned 1 month yesterday! I think a FB group would be fun, easier to share pics on there and more privacy

@bluestriped bee: ugh I can't even think about going back. I'm enjoying being home with him so much and don't want to think about having to leave him yet!

@hilsy85: hmm not sure about the spit up, hopefully someone will have some advice! Ugh that sounds rough! Is he waking up from the baby? M was waking up a few times a night when we first brought C home bc she heard him crying. But she hasn't done it in awhile so maybe she got used to it? When i am solo in the evenings and can't lay with DD I give her the twighlight turtle nightlight and tell her I'll check on her in 20 minutes and by then she is asleep. Could you try something like that?

40. Mrs. Pickle

@2littlepumpkins: @NovBaby1112: I strip her down as much as I can before putting her in. I also try to make sure she's fed too. She refuses the paci unfortunately. I think we'll just have to tough it out and hope she outgrows it eventually.

@2littlepumpkins: I'm on IG quite a bit! I'll wall you my username.

@bluestriped bee: are you still able to get anything after stopping the pump for a few weeks? And I think it was great that you were able to BF and pump the amount you did. I can't imagine trying with twins. It's a big time commitment with one! I'm thinking of going back to work in 2 weeks once DH is finished with his paternity leave. I only work part time and DD is going with me. I think having a routine and getting out of the house regularly will be good for us.

@hilsy85: when DD spits up and then acts hungry I go ahead and feed her again. I don't know if that's the right thing to do or not, but she doesn't spit up much.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee