Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

October 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. mrsjenbug

grape / 91 posts

@bluestriped bee: can you do that for me too? I can't find it (I tried on my phone and my laptop). Sorry for the trouble! 😍

2. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

Hi ladies! how are you all doing?

how are your babies napping these days? LO is 3 weeks old and over the last few days, it has become MUCH harder to settle her down to sleep. I'm sure part of that is due to a noisy toddler, but she just seems to wake up as soon as/a few minutes after I put her down in the bassinet/crib/swing. She really only naps reliably in the stroller. I think she would nap if I held her but that is unsustainable with a toddler to care for...any one else in this boat? I don't remember this from LO1, probably because I COULD just hold him all the time!

Also, are you all swaddling? She seems to sleep better that way, but breaks out of blanket swaddles easily. We also use the swaddle me, but it makes her so mad until she falls asleep!

3. Mrs. Goose

pear / 1737 posts

@bluestriped bee: thanks! Added you.

4. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

@hilsy85: C loves the swing so he takes most of his naps in there. I swaddle him but we have the kind that puts their hands up by their head, I think it's called the love to dream swaddle up. That and the paci and into swing he goes and he usually naps best that way. Of course I also love to hold him for naps too and get some snuggles in!

DS has become increasingly gassy and straining a ton during day. Not sure what's going on but going to try cutting out dairy And soy products to see if it helps. Poor thing

5. Mrs. Goose

pear / 1737 posts

@hilsy85: my baby is a light sleeper during the day! Last night was particularly tricky. I would get her to sleep while holding her and then out her down in bed and she would wake up and be wide awake. My husband rocked her to sleep in the rocking chair and stayed there for about 20 minutes before putting her in bed and then she slept for 5 hours. We usually swaddle her in a little fleecy sack with Velcro strips at night and nothing during the day because our bedroom is colder than our living room. However, sometimes at night she breaks out of the sack or if she is too awake then she gets cranky. She sleeps well in her stroller too, but I can't go for walks all the time all day! She is in the swing right now and I don't want to move her because I know she will wake up right away.

She was uncomfortable yesterday and had diarrhea I think. So far she seems better today. Yesterday was sad /hard for me to see her that way.

I almost feel 100% now. Just over 2 weeks pp is night and day to 1 week pp.

6. babycanuck

pomegranate / 3105 posts

Hi ladies!!!

I'm finally starting to adjust to the sleep deprivation with my LO.

I saw a lactation consultant today through a local breastfeeding class that's open to everyone weekly - HOLY COW WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! I was in so much pain nursing, and the public health nurse showed me a couple of different ways to sit. I feel so much better about it all now.

I also found it interesting how different my GP and the nurse feel so differently than the L&D nurses at the hospital - almost as if the hospital nurses have quotas and have to say certain things ("he has to eat for at least 30 minutes every 3 hours"). I think I'll continue going to the BF group once I'm allowed to drive again just to meet other local mamas.

L also HATES being swaddled - he has to have his arms out no matter what so we're using a sleep sack. It's like watching Houdini when I put him into a swaddle or even his car seat - always manages to get his arms out into the open.

7. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@hilsy85: Lo has definitely become a lighter sleeper but is still napping pretty well if held/in the swing/ in the carseat and moving. We do usually swaddle, lo loves it.

@Mrs. Goose: Glad you're feeling better!

@babycanuck: Yay for the breastfeeding group! Glad it's working out!

8. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

Ok glad to hear other LOs aren't napping great at home but in the car seat! Mine will sleep for 3-4 hours in the car seat/stroller... But not really st home in his Rock n Play. I mean, he does OK, but not that good!

@hilsy85: yeah, big bro over here is constantly waking up the baby! So hard because the 3 year olds are SO loud. I have to bring the baby upstairs into his room to sleep which we never did with J.

@babycanuck: so glad the LCs helped you out!! My son hates being swaddled too. Arms out are OK though if the rest of him is wrapped up.

9. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@NovBaby1112: oh wow, cutting dairy AND soy?! Did the doc think it's an allergy?? How long are you eliminating for for see if it helps? And what about all of your pumped milk??

10. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@hellobeeboston: My daughter is also waking up baby a lot!! Right now he is up and down all day so it's not a huge deal but as he gets older it will be. And we're in a 2 bedroom apartment with a loft upstairs but it's hard to get away from the noise so he'll just have to go with the flow I guess!

11. Mrs. Pickle

blogger / wonderful cherry / 21628 posts

@hilsy85: DD naps best while being held. I try to place her in the swing or on the boppy, but she wakes up pretty quickly. I bought a carrier so I can have her nap on me and still get things done. Luckily she sleeps fine by herself at night. We swaddle at night using the swaddle mes. I don't trust my skills enough to use a receiving blanket.

@babycanuck: I'm glad things are going better with nursing!

I'm 4 weeks PP today and still spotting! I'm so ready to be done with blood. I was never in pain but I still don't feel like things are completely normal down below.

DD is getting close to outgrowing her newborn clothes! I've started putting her in some 0-3 month things. I can't believe she'll be a month old on Monday. DH and FIL said she rolled belly to back during tummy time today. I was in another room. Isn't it too early for that? I wonder if it was just a fluke.

12. Charm54

cantaloupe / 6885 posts

@hilsy85: J is not a reliable napper either...some days (like today) she has a monster afternoon nap and it is wonderful. Some days she can't get into a deep sleep and just takes cat naps. That means she's overtired and has long awake times all day. I don't know when I should start with an official "nap routine". She naps best when she can fall asleep in the car. We've been so busy with DD1 lately that that's how she's been getting a lot of naps in

@Mrs. Goose: poor J. I hope she feels better soon. My J hasn't gone since last Sunday...I know they tell me it's normal and while it might be, it can't be comfortable!!

@babycanuck: so glad the BFing group was such a big help!

@NovBaby1112: let me know if you see any improvement. J is normally fussy if she's awake, which is so tiring on us and makes me sad for her. I don't know if it's something I'm eating or just normal baby crankiness

@Mrs. Pickle: I JUSt stopped bleeding a couple of days ago at the 5week mark. It felt like it would never end! I was sick of wearing pads.

13. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

@babycanuck: glad the latch is better!! That makes a huge difference!

@hellobeeboston: ugh yea...his dr said I could try and see if it helps but it's no guarantee. I just have a feeling thAt it's something in my milk- he gets extremely fussy and strains to pass gas right after eating. I know it could be normal infant grassiness but I just want to see if it helps. I realized that on Sunday, one of DHs relatives brought over this huge custardy/pudding type dessert and I ate the entire thing over Sunday, mon, and tues, and C started having bad gas pains and more fussiness on Tues, wed and thurs which is when he would have gotten the pumped milk from the previous few days!

@Mrs. Pickle: wow rolling already!?? I should probably do more tummy time but C isn't a fan

@Charm54: I'll let you know! Going to give it 2 weeks to see if i notice a difference.

14. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@Mrs. Pickle: i didn't stop bleeding until end of 4 weeks pp - so annoying!! Hopefully yours stops this week!

X

15. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@Mrs. Pickle: still spotting here too, but not much. I'll be 5w pp tomorrow. Still better than my first birth so I'll take it! 😋

@NovBaby1112: I'm barely making anything now but we noticed ds seemed fussier when he hast breast milk which was the opposite of what I expected. I have no idea why though.

Still dealing with colds here. Boo. But my mom decided to come visit this coming week! So hopefully we're over this soon and that should be fun!

16. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@Charm54: I also don't know when to start an official routine...I guess when wake times become longer? right now she will often fall rght back asleep after eating.

@NovBaby1112: I hope going dairy and soy free works! you are my hero, I can't imagine giving up cheese and milk...!

Oh man, I either came down with a stomach bug or food poisoning yesterday at a friend's son's birthday party--threw up there and the whole car ride home (really fun throwing up in to a party good bag...!), and just felt so awful. I am feeling much better this morning but think I still have a low grade fever. Everything is crossed that LO1 does not get it...and of course, DD. you're supposed to nurse through sickness right? I'm trying not to breathe on her and just nurse her and put her right down.

17. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@hilsy85: oh no, that sounds miserable. hope you're better soon. With good hand washing tummy bugs seem harder to spread than colds/flu so hopefully nobody else gets it from you...

It's 4am here and we are in the ER. Ds had a temp of 100.6 and his ped said to come in right away so we've been here a couple hours. They couldn't get blood so the lab people are gonna come try and they still have to do a cath. Poor baby. He's sleeping on me now..must be exhausted. I'm annoyed because the dr seems so douchey. My husband sat next to me on the bed when the dr said to sit while holding ds and he made some comment about how dh shouldn't sit because I'm doing all the work just because I happened to be holding baby. Dh takes the earlier shift so I had slept a couple hours and dh hasn't slept at all but the dr wouldn't know that. He also gave me a lecture on breast milk. Seeing as how I've had Drs who know my history say it's fine, they don't blame me for not wanting to, etc etc and how I originally planned to try again with baby2 for at least a couple years... I think I've freaking thought this through, jackass.

18. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

Ok I know I'm being moody, and he's a doctor and has to say that stuff. Dh knows this doctor from bringing people here for work and says he's cool.

19. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

@2littlepumpkins: ugh, I think DD is coming down with yet another cold too....this is going to be a longggg fall/winter!

@hilsy85: oh no!! That sounds awful I hope it's a quick thing and you are feeling better! Hoping your LOs don't catch it too. And yea, I can live without cheese or milk...but pizza and ice cream?! Already missing those things

@2littlepumpkins: ugh that's terrible, I hope your LO is feeling better today, how scary! Did they say what it was?

20. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@2littlepumpkins: oh no! how is he doing? I hope you guys are home and he is better!!

21. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@NovBaby1112: @hilsy85: he is in a room now. We will be here for two days until the results of the lumbar puncture come back, or longer if his fever doesn't go away by then. I went home and got bottles and formula and stuff and pumped earlier and when I came back they had tried enfamil rtf and he was fussy and gassy and miserable. He's napping after some milk and gas drops and Tylenol and several burps.. Thank goodness though, the hospital gave us a swing. 👍 sent dh home for a nap and he will pick up some food when he comes back, then one of us will try to be there to see dd in the evening.

22. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

@2littlepumpkins: poor thing! I hope he's feeling better and you guys can go home ASAP!

Little man is def in the middle of a growth spurt over here- ravenously eating 4oz every 2-3 hours and sleeping all day and night between feeds. I think he's been awake maybe 1-2 hours total the last 2 days. I hope I am able to make enough milk to keep up!! I had about 50oz in the fridge before the elimination diet that I freezed in case I can use in future, but I had to start from scratch with my milk in the fridge. I'm 4 days into the whole no milk/soy thing and we already are seeing a difference when C is eating and right after eating, so much more content and not in pain, so knock on wood that it seems to be helping.

23. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@NovBaby1112: I hope so too: Hes a little dehydrated but the antibiotics are naming him poop a lot and the hospital is dry so no surprise there.. We'll feed more frequently. If he eats ok and pees and poops and his cultures are negative we can stop the meds and go home tomorrow. Fingers crossed..

24. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@2littlepumpkins: does he still have a fever? do they know what caused it or just some sort of infection?

@NovBaby1112: so glad that he is doing better!! how are you doing on the diet? And duh, growth spurt--maybe that explains why DD has been sleeping alll day today, I think there's a 3 week one.

25. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@NovBaby1112: happy to hear he isn't in pain! Sorry you have to do the elimination thing. Ds eats about that but of course we are on formula so it's easier.

26. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@hilsy85: fever is gone! most likely it's just viral, as dd, grandma, and I have/had the same cold/virus. But because of how young he is they have to run all these tests to rule out things like meningitis.

He also has had issues with his heart rate being too fast but they think it's due to the virus and being in pain due to gas and the lumbar puncture. It's not as bad today but last night was honestly scary.

27. Mrs. Goose

pear / 1737 posts

@2littlepumpkins: glad they have ruled out the scary stuff for him. Sounds like a really crappy experience. Hope you guys go home and get better soon.

28. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

@2littlepumpkins: so scary!! Thank goodness his fever is gone though! Are you guys able to go home now?

@hilsy85: yep, prob growth spurt! I think 3, 6, and 12 weeks are the big ones! I'm enjoying the sleepiness while I can ha. Diet is going good, I discovered all these things made with coconut milk like yogurt, ice cream, milk, coffee creamer, etc. so it hasn't been too bad! I just wish I knew if I still have to not eat soy products or not but I'm too nervous to eat them again, I might try in a few weeks and see if it affects him

29. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

Ugh I don't know what I was thinking guys- I'm flying solo with DD and DS next week to go visit my family for thanksgiving and I am just freaking out now trying to figure out logistics of traveling with 2, packing everything, getting through airport in 1 piece lol, and pumping!!! I'm sure we will all survive but I'm a bit worried now. I hope I will be ok to bring some pumped milk in cooler for DS, I'm guessing they will let me right??

30. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@2littlepumpkins: that's great news, I hope he is at home with you guys now!!

@NovBaby1112: I think you can definitely bring pumped milk in, they might just have to scan it separately. you are brave!! I am sure it will go ok though, just bring some good bribes for M

What are you all doing in terms of clothing? I can't wear maternity pants anymore--they are all stretched out and don't stay up. But my regular pants are still not quite fitting...should I just buy more leggings to last me until I start working out again? Or did you buy jeans in bigger sizes from pre preg? So annoying having literally nothing to wear in the mornings!

31. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

@hilsy85: yoga pants and leggings. The only time I wore my pre preg jeans was for our fam photo shoot. I just like to be comfy though!

32. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@NovBaby1112: @hilsy85: @Mrs. Goose: we are being discharged and should get to leave soon! 😊

33. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@NovBaby1112: I think pumped milk is fine! That sounds really hectic but I'm sure you'll end up just fine! I still barely make it through the mornings with two but part of that is constantly wiping dd's runny noses and keeping them separated. (A lot of good that did..lol)
    @hilsy85: I bought cheap old navy jeans and wear some of my old ones and then leggings. My gap maternity leggings fit fine too, but I never did understand what made them maternity.

34. Mrs. Goose

pear / 1737 posts

@hilsy85: I am just wearing maternity leggings although my large Old Navy ones don't fit anymore...too big, but I can't squeeze into some maternity jeans I have or any regular sized clothes really. It's crappy! The weather is starting to get cooler so I am not sure what I will wear soon. I wanted to avoid buying new, bigger clothes if possible since I just bought nursing bras and pjs and that was pretty expensive. I am still wearing my flip flops.

Did anybody buy Christmas outfits for their kiddies yet?! We bought J a cute cream and sparkly Christmas dress and she now has a few items that say the equivalent of "my firsts Christmas". I am excited for when she can wear bigger clothes that resemble regular outfits. Right now we are just using onesies and sleepers because it is easiest.

35. Mrs. Goose

pear / 1737 posts

@NovBaby1112: good luck! That sounds stressful. I am finding it hard enough to just travel short distances with my one and someone to help me! We may be going on an international trip next year as a family, but we aren't sure yet. I think the rules for pumped milk are pretty good now and they are probably on the airline or airport website somewhere.

36. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

@2littlepumpkins: yay for getting Togo home!!!

@Mrs. Goose: no Xmas outfits yet! I'll prob just get a cute comfy jammy set or something!

So DS had 2 dark green diapers yesterday/last night. I wonder why? A little confused bc I've been off dairy and soy for 6 days but then I read it can take 2 weeks to get out of my milk and another 2 weeks to get out of baby's system. I hope that's the reason and not something else! We have a ped apt Monday so we'll see what dr says

37. Mrs. Goose

pear / 1737 posts

@NovBaby1112: I have read and my friend also told me that green poops mean your baby isn't drinking the fatty hind breastmilk.

J had green poops yesterday too. Usually hey are the regular yellowy seedy looking ones so I guess I need to watch how I feed her.

38. Mrs. Pickle

blogger / wonderful cherry / 21628 posts

@2littlepumpkins: I'm glad you guys are home!

@NovBaby1112: you are brave! We told our families we aren't going anywhere for the rest of this year.

@hilsy85: I can fit in my prepregnancy jeans decently enough. I've got a muffin top in them, but maternity bottoms weren't staying up. Depending on how long of a top I'm wearing I leave them unbuttoned sometimes.

I started pumping this week and DH has been attempting to give DD a bottle. The first day was a disaster, but it's gotten easier since. She'll take about half an ounce. I want to stick with doing a bottle a day so she doesn't need me for all her feedings. And so DH and I can go out and leave her with a sitter. What kind of bottles do you use? So far we've had success with the MAM. We're going to try a Phillips Avent with the lowest flow nipple tomorrow and see if she likes that.

39. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

@Mrs. Goose: hmm interesting...I pump though so I would assume the foremilk would mix with the hind milk in the bottle?

@Mrs. Pickle: nice! We use DR Browns bc of gas issues. We loved our momma bottles with my first also though.

How much "awake time" do your babies have between feeds during day? I feel like C is sleeping too much during day bc he has been wide awake the last few nights from 1am-3am! Not fussy or crying, just literally wide awake. Ugh. So tired. He naps for 2-3 hours all day long and is pretty much only awake from like 7am-9am and again from 6pm-7:30pm. The rest of the time he just briefly wakes to eat bottle and goes right back to sleep.

40. Mrs. Goose

pear / 1737 posts

@NovBaby1112: I have been wondering that because I am pumping, but I am only pumping to relieve engoregement. I assume if you pump until your breast is empty you will get to the fatty milk and then it will all mix in the bottle. So if it isn't that then maybe it's something else with your diet and you just need to wait for the stuff you have eliminated to be gone like you said. I googled poo colours the other day...

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee