Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@AprilFool: YAY walking!!!

@Pumuckl: I really want to start doing family dinners too, but it's hard with Xander not really feeding himself yet. He has no patience and so it's hard for us to eat and feed him at the same time!

@blackbird: Woohoo sleepovers!!! Glad it went well and you had a nice break!

2. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

Birthday party was wonderful! It was very low key, just family and a few close friends, but we all had a great time. It was a lovely day, so after lunch & cake we all just hung out outside while T put rocks in a solo cup and ignored all her new toys
    Her actual birthday isn't until the 22nd, so I have a little more time to process the big milestone!

I think we're going to give her a little cow's milk today, just to see how it goes. I'm hoping to reduce her dependency on me & get myself a little freedom. It would be nice to not have to plan my time away from her so carefully! But...the thought of saying no to her when she asks to nurse kills me, so it might be awhile before I really take any serious action.

3. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

Yay happy birthday T!

4. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@Silva: so glad it went well!

5. jodyblair

kiwi / 611 posts

@AprilFool: Carter now has all 4 molars but still only has the two middle bottom teeth. So strange!!

6. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Silva: So glad it went well! I need to get serious about offering cows milk but H hates it.

@jodyblair: Babies are just bizarre!

H has pooped twice and it's only 10am.

7. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Being sick and having to take care of a toddler is just no fun. I think I ate something bad on Friday. I was up most of Friday night and felt horrible most of Saturday. Finally started feeling better today. Luckily DH was awesome and did all the laundry, grocery shopped and took care of Isaac mostly yesterday.

@Adira: And we did wake up to a light dusting of snow on Saturday. Yuck! And I just looked at the forecast and they are calling for a little bit more. I just want spring already.

@AprilFool: Yay for walking!! That is awesome that your DH was home to see the first steps.

@Pumuckl: You are so lucky to be done with teething for now. It will be awesome to have a nice long break.

@blackbird: Glad you had a good night off! Did you do anything special?

@silver1: That is good that he didn't have a reaction to peanut butter.

@Adira: We normally eat after Isaac goes to bed or else it is just too rushed.

@Silva: Sounds like a fun party!! The nice thing about once they will drink cows milk and you are nursing is you don't have to worry so much. Isaac drinks cows milk at daycare and a bit at home and then when he wants to nurse I let him. For sure in the am and pm and then about 2 times overnight and on weekends a couple times in the day as well. And if I want to go out on a weekend afternoon, I don't have to worry about it.

@jodyblair: That is an interesting order of teeth. Does it look like he is getting more?

8. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@ALV91711: yeah, I wasn't really sure what our plan was... But she loved the milk, and drank maybe 6 ounces of it at dinner! She nursed a little before bed, but wasn't as interested as she usually is. It seems like maybe we can just give cows milk occasionally, and then if I'm going to be gone?
    We are going away overnight in June, and I feel so much better knowing that my parents can just give her some cows milk! I was stressing about it already! Ha!

9. blackbird

@alv91711-yeah we went to the Billy Joel concert for DH's bday. He was deployed last time he was in town!

10. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@blackbird: That sounds like a fun night.

@Silva: What I did when I started Isaac on cows milk was give him some with his afternoon snack. Now he gets it with his meals. When he isn't around me he drinks more, but on weekends it is usually a few sips.

11. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@silver1: I'm sure he'll get the hang of "real" food really soon and then there is no stopping him.

@Adira: I hope Xander will get the hang of it soon. B still has some trouble with some foods.

And this kid does not like pasta. It's so weird, we had asparagus with pasta yesterday and he ate the asparagus but not the pasta. So just to make sure he actually had enough we made him some oatmeal as a desert.

@Silva: So glad you had a great party. Your reasoning concerning nursing sounds a lot like me. I’m always saying I’ll have to start weaning soon but then I never start. He seems to enjoy and need that time so much that I don’t want to deprive him of it yet.

@ALV91711: Sorry to hear you got sick But glad you’re feeling better already. And yeah for daddy taking over!

@jodyblair: That is an interesting order of teeth. But then a friend of mine's little girl got her canines before she got any other teeth, so really everthing seems possible.

@blackbird: Wow that sounds like fun!

@AprilFool: Since I’m flying solo during the week I just have to get dinner ready and then we’re ready to eat. Since we don’t get home from daycare before 5:45-6pm, dinner’s usually at 6:15-6:30pm. During the weekend we’ll sometimes have later dinners if B’s mood allows (and his last nap). We’re pretty lucky he’ll mostly still sleep 12h at night if we put him to bed later.

I sure am glad about teething! I don’t think I’m gonna miss it!

12. Adira

@Silva: Glad to hear the party went well!! And Xander ignored all his gifts at his party too and played with an empty water bottle!

@ALV91711: I can't believe you're still getting snow! It's supposed to be only 80 here!!! And I hope you're feeling better!

So we went to my SIL's yesterday for my MIL's birthday and kind of an early Easter celebration. It worked out well because Xander napped on the ride there and then we stayed for about 3.5 hours and then he napped on the ride home, so the timing was perfect. When we all sat down for dinner, Xander got fussy because I had just left him to play, so I picked him up and put him on my lap and put some chunks of sweet potato in front of him and he seriously went to town! I don't know that he actually SWALLOWED any of it, but he kept picking up pieces and putting them in his mouth and chewing and then spitting them out and he seemed like he was having fun, so we're definitely making progress!

13. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: Go Xander!!! Eating is fun! Glad he's finally getting the hang of it.

14. Smurfette

@Adira: That is great!

15. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: So happy that Xander was eating food, even if he didn't swallow it! Soon you won't be able to feed him enough.

Spent the day at home resting and I'm feeling quite better now. I couldn't really sleep, so I'm still sleepy, but that is ok.

Now time to go and pick my boy up a tiny bit early!

16. Adira

@Pumuckl: @Smurfette: @ALV91711: So we fed Xander some banana pieces before dinner tonight and he actually swallowed a couple!!!! We're making progress!!!

@Smurfette: How's the napping situation at daycare going? Today was horrible for Xander. He only took one short nap and has been up since 11:45 a.m. He's a big fussy baby and we just put him to bed and he's whining. Hope he passes out soon!

17. Smurfette

@Adira: Friday was bad but I think that was teething. Today was just over an hour. Cranky pants!

18. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: @Adira: I feel so lucky that Isaac naps great at daycare every day. Most days 2 hours.

19. Adira

@Smurfette: Ugh, damn crappy naps!

@ALV91711: Xander USED to nap really well at daycare, but the last week or so, it's been crap! And he hasn't been drinking as much milk either! I hope Isaac continues to nap well for you!

20. Smurfette

@ALV91711: Lucky!! We get two hours every once in a while. I hate it.

21. jodyblair

kiwi / 611 posts

@ALV91711: Hopefully not. We need a little break from teething! The last two molars have been brutal.

So we are down to about 2-3 nursing sessions a day. Carter hasn't ever been big on drinking from cups, usually no more than 2-3 oz of water (on a good day!). I was hoping as he gradually started nursing less he would want to drink more water but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've bought a million different sippy cups and he takes to them all just fine, but isn't ever interested in drinking more than a couple of sips, even while drinking from an open cup. I even tried giving him diluted apple juice today and it didn't seem to make a difference! He was pretty constipated yesterday and I think it has to do with him not drinking enough. How do I get him to drink more???

22. silver1

apricot / 338 posts

@Silva: Glad to hear your party went well!!
    @ALV91711: Glad to hear you are feeling better and for your DH doing awesome help!!
    @Adira: Yay for eating bananas!! Thatz one of the few things J likes to eat and without gagging.
    @jodyblair: We have the nuby straw cup and he loves drinking water from it. But he likes drinking liquids in general over food though.
    Omg I'm seeing J transform into a toddler right before my eyes. Today morning I brushed my hand near his eye by mistake and he looked mad at me. It was just for a moment though and I was shocked. I'm not ready for this!!

23. blackbird

@silver1, it's so surreal when they start looking and acting like real little people

24. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: @Smurfette: Seems as though there was something in the water yesterday. B also only napped for 45min at daycare. He was in bed really early. He usually does 2 sleep cycles so 1.5h. Not great but ok.

@Adira: Yay on the bananas! He'll be munchin' away happily in no time!

@jodyblair: I have a crappy drinker too. But then suddenly last week he started drinking better. He now finishes at least one sippy cup of water a day (so 5oz.). I was so damn worried because some days he wouldn't even drink 1oz and so I talked to the pedi and he said not to fret over it. If he is thirsty he's gonna drink. Other than that I just tried to give him food which contains lots of water like pears, cucumbers and tomatoes.

@blackbird: hahaha, I love how you put that! def. surreal, where did my baby go!?

25. Adira

@jodyblair: I have no advice on how to get C to drink more! I have trouble with Xander too. I sometimes just have to hold the straw cup to his mouth so he can drink and continue playing at the same time! And he won't drink while eating food or immediately after a nap, so it's rough to get all his liquids in! When we were weaning, it definitely took him a while to start drinking more from a sippy cup, but after a couple weeks, he started drinking more, so maybe the same will be true for C.

26. Smurfette

@jodyblair: It took R a couple weeks to really get that all her liquids were from the sippy cup. She was doing great with a straw cup but then we tried a sippy since she tried to steal another kids at day care. She does MUCH better with it then the straw. She still has some days where she doesn't drink as much but I do too so I figured it is ok.
    @silver1: It is crazy how they are little kids now.

27. Smurfette

So tonight we got home and R threw a fit because I told her she couldn't go in a drawer in the kitchen. She followed me into the bathroom and took some stuff out of the drawer and was walking around with it. I told her to put it back and she wouldn't so I took them out of her hands. Tantrum! Then we went in the kitchen and she started playing. Then while I was heating up her dinner she tried sneaking out and was headed back to the bathroom. Haha!!! Thought she was being sneaky!!

28. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Smurfette: Busted!! Haha. How crazy are the tantrums! H has started chucking it when she has to get back into her stroller and this afternoon I was trying to take her picture with a birthday present and meltdown.

29. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@AprilFool: haha, I'm sorry I had to laugh. I just know that expression all to well

30. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Pumuckl: It's ok! I laugh too. What else is there to do? Haha This is what a 4:30am wakeup and a crap nap get you!

31. Smurfette

@AprilFool: Lol!! That's awesome!

32. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

Little B is sick today. I had to pick him up a little early at daycare yesterday because he was running a fever and I expected it to go away after a good nights sleep but no... He slept from 7pm-10:30am non-stop... whozzaa and he is back in bed now so just a little over 1h awake time. We'll have to see how the rest of the day goes because if tomorrow is like this I'm pretty sure I'll take him to the pedi 'cause good friday and easter monday are actually holidays here and the office will be closed. Sigh - oh those kids, there is always something going on.

33. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Smurfette: It's a photo to bring out on her 18th that's for sure! She really doesn't like that pillow.

@Pumuckl: Oh poor B. That is one huge sleep!! I hope he is feeling better.

34. Adira

@Smurfette: @AprilFool: OMG tantrums!!!! Ahhhh!!!

@Pumuckl: Awww, poor baby!!! Hope he feels better soon!

@Smurfette: Gahhh, Xander's naps at daycare SUCK! 1.5 hours yesterday and he was a big fat cranky pants in the evening! Booo!

35. Smurfette

@Pumuckl: Poor guy! I can't believe he slept that long. Nuts! I hope he feels better soon!
    @Adira: R had an hour yesterday. Boo!!! I think her teeth were bothering her cause her teacher said she just kept whining in her sleep and she woke up about 3 times last night too. Luckily she went back to sleep on her own.

36. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@Pumuckl: oh, I hope he feels better!

37. Adira

@Smurfette: I wish I could blame teeth, but I'm not sure if I can! Xander's been drooling like mad for months now and chewing on his thumb, but I have yet to see any evidence that teeth are coming up! And it doesn't seem to affect his sleep at home. But I wish he'd sleep more at daycare!

38. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Hi ladies!

Not much new here to report. We've been settling into our new commutes and routines. Everything is running pretty smoothly. My current stress is similar to many other Spring Mamas- daycare naps! Even though I chose our new daycare specifically because I thought Pete would nap well there, he doesn't! The past two days have only been 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the afternoon. I hope he does better today. Night sleep has also been mediocre. He was up and ready to party today at 4:30am. The good news is that I'm home for the next five days so he can catch up on sleep then.

Pete is learning how to "run" and he's not that great at it! Lots of slips and slides. He got his first shiner this weekend when he was running through the house and crashed into his toy piano. It looks like he's been in a bar fight!

@AprilFool: That photo is hilarious! We have lots of tantrums each day too. They usually occur when he wants to be held nonstop and I need to put him down to cook his dinner or, god forbid, use the bathroom.

@Smurfette: Haha I love it when they think they're being sneaky! When they look at your with that naughty twinkle in their eye...

39. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@AprilFool: @Smurfette: @Silva: thank you ladies for the well wishes. Our day was totally crazy: he got up at 10:30 and had breakfast, he played some but was getting really tired again and was back in bed at 12. He slept until 3 then had a snack played some and was back in bed an hour later. Slept for another hour had dinner and was in bed by 7! He hasn't slept this much since he was a newborn. The whooping awake time today 4h

The pedi also called with the results of his liver markers from the blood draw and they are not falling like the should but he wasn't sure whether it was still that weird virus causing it or not - so he's gonna talk to the pedi at the hospital to get their opinion. He'll call again tomorrow. I hope we'll get some answers soon. I'm usually pretty relaxed but this is starting to worry me.

40. Smurfette

@QueensBee: Sorry you aren't getting good naps either. Poor guy first shiner! R tries to run too and can't. Makes me laugh.
    @Pumuckl: He must really be feeling bad if he slept that much today. Crazy. Hopefully he will wake up refresher and back to normal. Keep us posted on the liver markers. I am sure everything is going to be ok, but it is hard to not worry. Hugs!!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee