Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@Adira: yeah we have had those nights. I have to sit right beside the crib till she falls asleep and then sneak out.

2. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@Smurfette: Yep! That was me!! At first I was standing over his crib, but then I got tired so I just sat down, haha. When he finally fell asleep, I snuck out as quietly as I could!

3. Adira

Oh my gosh, girls, Xander was being soooooo cute yesterday. While Hubs was feeding him dinner, he kept going "Mamamama!" and I'd go "Xander Xander!" and he'd laugh and then do it again!

4. Adira

What the heck, girls! I breastfed Xander for a whole year - isn't he supposed to be immune to everything??

Xander potentially has asthma (though they don't call it asthma for kids under 2). He has a cold and while at daycare, his cough got worse and worse (to the extent that it caused him to vomit) and his breathing got really labored. I brought him in to the pediatrician and they used a nebulizer on him (which he HATED) and now I have an inhaler for him!

5. Smurfette

@Adira: Poor Xander!!! Milk allergy should be enough to deal with

6. Adira

@Smurfette: Seriously!!

How's R's lip doing?? Healed up yet?

7. Adira

Ugh, my poor baby is so sick! Despite giving him his inhaler when we got home from the pediatrician, when he woke up from his nap an hour later, he was breathing hard again. So I called the pediatrician back up and they said to go ahead and give him another dose of the inhaler, but if it wears off again before the 4 hours is up, we have to bring him to the ER.

And now he's sleeping in the middle of the living room floor...

8. Smurfette

@Adira: it is looking better but not back to normal

9. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: wow, that sounds really scary! Hope Xander is ok!

10. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: Oh no, that's terrible! So stressful! I hope the inhaler works this time and Xander is feeling better. Thinking of you guys...

11. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

We have a sick little dude here again/still. Early this morning he threw up but seemed fine when we got up so I sent him to daycare. At about 1:30 they phoned me to get him as he has threw up a couple more times. Then at home a couple more times. He was so tired tonight that he fell asleep early and without nursing. He doesn't quite have a fever but is warm. I hope he sleeps good and feels better tomorrow.

@Adira: Poor little guy. I hope the inhaler works and there are no ER trips in your future.

@Smurfette: What an awesome nap today, I hope she keeps it up for you.

@shopaholic: As for naps, we are on one at daycare and most of the time on the weekends, but sometimes he will take two at home. He started one nap a day about a week after the start of daycare. At home sometimes he would fight the second and I think he would of transitioned soon but daycare just started him on one nap and it worked out fine.

@QueensBee: Good luck with your decision of TTC!! Scary but exciting all at the same time.

12. Adira

Just got home from the ER!!! Xander has pneumonia and some sort of bronchitis.

@ALV91711: Awww, sorry to hear that your little guy is sick too!!! Hope these babies feel better soon!!

13. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Poor dude and mom & dad. How long do they say for him to be better?

We had a long night. Lots of whimpering and nursing.

14. Adira

@ALV91711: They didn't actually say, but we have antibiotics for him and the instructions are to give them to him for 10 days, so hopefully by the time that's over, he's better! I'm not really sure! We're going back to the pediatrician's office today.

Poor you guys! I hope your little man feels better soon too!

15. Smurfette

@ALV91711: I hope he feels better. Hopefully a short bug!
    @Adira: Oh no! Poor X! Is he just on antibiotics? No breathing treatment?

16. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@Adira: I'm sorry to hear about X's pneumonia. We've been through it twice with two totally different experiences. I hope X gets better quickly!

17. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: Poor Xander and poor Mama! Hope he's feeling better soon and you are getting some rest!

18. Adira

@Smurfette: He's on an antibiotic, steroids, and an inhaler. We have to give the antibiotics for 10 days, the steroids for 5 days, and the inhaler every 4 hours around the clock. I'm not looking forward to tonight. We have a follow up with the pediatrician tomorrow too (so thankful our doctor's office is open on weekends).

@Corduroy: Oh wow, your LO has had pneumonia twice?? I'm so sorry to hear that! How quickly do these little babies get over it?? I just want my baby breathing easier again!

@QueensBee: Thanks!

19. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@Adira: "He's on an antibiotic, steroids, and an inhaler. We have to give the antibiotics for 10 days, the steroids for 5 days, and the inhaler every 4 hours around the clock." -- this was us two weeks ago except the inhaler was 3x a day and it was a nebulizer every 4 hours. Cartoons helped A LOT with the nebulizer and inhaler.

The first pneumonia was bacterial and the antibiotic took care up it in 24 hours, easy peasy. The second time was viral so I think she had a fever for 6 days and the routine you mentioned above. Of course the doctors couldn't tell it was viral when they initially prescribed the antibiotic (and I left on a business trip expecting LO to get better overnight like the first time).

It sucks but like any other parenting challenge you'll get through it. Posting vents helped me survive. Two weeks later and we're already on to the next virus!

20. Smurfette

@Adira: oh no!!! Good luck!

21. Adira

@Corduroy: Ugh, I'm sorry you've been through this! I'm actually relieved we didn't have to do the nebulizer because Xander did NOT like it when he got it at the doctor's office and it took two of us to hold him down while the nurse administered it! I can't imagine having to do it at home. The inhaler is at least fairly quick, so more manageable!

@Smurfette: Thanks! I actually feel like maybe things are already starting to look better for him. Although he was breathing really hard this morning and having trouble, since we started giving him the inhaler every 4 hours, he's breathing seems better and he's been up and playing, which is a good sign! Yesterday he pretty much just slept or whined and cried!!

22. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@Adira: I hope he feels better! That all sounds so terrible and scary

23. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@Adira: I was thinking about you & Xander while I was taking LO for a walk and I remembered that you're pregnant and dealing with this. Extra hugs to you mama!

24. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: That is awesome that the pediatrician is open on the weekend. What a lot of medications to have to give him. I hope he recovers fast. At least he was back to playing and not constant whining.

@Corduroy: Sorry to hear you've been through pneumonia twice. It does not sound like fun.

25. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: Glad he's acting more like himself already! Hope the night goes well!

26. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

LO had his first haircut today! I was nervous about how it would go but he did really well. He sat in my lap with his pacifier and watched a cartoon on the tv in front of him. He didn't make a peep for the entire time and he came out looking so handsome! They send us home with a little certificate and a lock of hair. My baby's first haircut, can't believe it.

Also, I noticed that his bottom molar came in finally! I wonder if that's why he was so hysterical last Saturday and Sunday night. Probably! Poor guy, I should have given him some Motrin but I really didn't think it was teething.

We set up a play kitchen for him today and he absolutely loves it. It's one of those toys that takes FOREVER to assemble. So many $#@%^&@ pieces. Lots of muttering and cursing involved. But every grumble was worth it as I watched him investigate it for an hour after dinner! He's so cute playing in his little kitchen!

Also, DH got a surprise promotion at work on Friday afternoon! The bump in salary is almost enough to cover another LO in daycare, so this alone makes me feel a lot more comfortable with the idea of TTC soon. Of course, we could also use the money for a million other projects that need to happen around the house. Isn't that always the case?

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend! Gnight!

27. Applesandbananas

pomegranate / 3845 posts

@Adira: I hope Xander feels better soon!

28. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Adira: Oh wow! That sounds scary. Poor Xander! I hope he's feeling better soon.

@QueensBee: Congrats on hubs promotion!! That is super exciting!!

H handed me my hat today and said 'hat'. When I told DH asked me if I was sure so he came out she squealed and said 'hat hat'. Was so cute

29. Smurfette

@QueensBee: that is great he got a promotion! My DH was told he is getting one but won't know the $ till Oct when it is effective. That is great he loves the kitchen. We are going to get one for R for Christmas. Her teacher said right now she doesn't play with it at school. Plus we need to get rid of some other toys before we have room for it!
    @AprilFool: so cute!
    @Adira: How did last night go? I hope he is feeling better.

30. Adira

@Corduroy: Awww, thank you!! I had actually forgotten all about the fact that I was pregnant until we had to have Xander x-rayed to check his lungs and someone remembered to ask me!!

@QueensBee: I am sooooo impressed Pete sat for a haircut! We've trimmed the hair around Xander's ears before and he FREAKED out!!! I can't imagine how he'd handle a full haircut! I'm glad he still has all that baby fuzz and we don't have to deal with it soon, haha.

What play kitchen is it?

Also, that's awesome about your husband!!!! Having that extra money to cover the daycare is going to make things so less stressful! That's actually exactly what happened for us right after Xander was born! Hubs got a promotion that covered daycare! Yay!

@AprilFool: Awww!!! That's awesome she learned a new word!! Xander's been working on "car" but he sounds like he's from Massachusetts going "cah!" It's so funny.

@Smurfette: Last night was a little rough. I gave him his inhaler at 11:00 and I tried to do it while he was sleeping, but he woke up and FREAKED OUT!!! It was such a fight to hold the mask on him and I felt soooooo bad after!!! He was fighting me so hard, that I was worried I hurt him with how hard I had to hold him down. I didn't like it at all. But then Hubs did the 3:00 a.m. one and that must've went a lot better because I didn't even wake up until Hubs was leaving and then Xander was just kind of whining to get comfortable again, so I don't think that turned into a fight. And this morning, he seems almost completely back to normal! He has a cold, so he has a runny nose and a cough, but his breathing seemed pretty good! And he nursed and I snuck some pedialyte into his breakfast, so I'm feeling better about today.

We have a follow up with the pediatrician today! Hopefully she hears an improvement when she listens to his lungs.

31. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@Smurfette: we're going to do the play kitchen at Christmas too- hopefully by then I won't need the rocker in her room, because there isn't room for both ! I'm unreasonably excited about getting her a kitchen and pots/pans for it. I just can't wait for imaginative play to start!

@QueensBee: wow, congratulations to your husband! we are still waiting for molar #1 to pop through. It is right there!

@Adira: I hope he continues to improve rapidly!

So....my husband left about 20 minutes ago, and is taking T to his parents for a few hours. I'm leaving at 10 to meet some friends for a day at the spa. I have a massage booked for 3:00, so I won't be home until after 5, which means I"ll be away from her for at least 7.5 hours- the longest yet, by far. I'm kind of freaking out, and also enjoying the total silence while I eat breakfast and drink coffee.
    She hasn't gone that long without nursing, except overnight. He has cows milk, which she is semi-interested in....I'm sure it will be fine. Hopefully I don't ruin my relaxing day by worrying!
    I'll probably have a drink at lunch...just to be sure

32. Adira

@Silva: Oh my gosh, enjoy your day!!!! A day at the spa with friends sounds AMAZING!!! I'm so jealous!!! T is going to be just fine!!! You're going to have so much fun!!

33. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@Adira: thanks! I'm excited. Its kind of an early mother's day present...that I planned myself We just survived a really rough three months of my husband's schedule being...the worst its been yet. It couldn't come at a better time!

34. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@AprilFool: Wow, H is developing an extensive vocabulary! I love the way he came back repeating it to prove to DH he new the word. So clever!

@Smurfette: Oooh, it's considerate of DH's company will let him the timeline for a promotion. I hope it's a big one!
    My advice for the play kitchen is, when you're ready to set it up, to make sure you clear the afternoon and have a bottle of wine ready to assist you. I had a million other projects happening around the house yesterday (repainting the front door, installing a new door lock, mowing the lawn, meeting with minister to set up baptism), and I expected the play kitchen to be a little ten minute assembly that I could squeeze in. Nope, two hours of running to the store for batteries, searching the house for a special screwdriver, reading 32 steps of directions later... it was finally done!

@Adira: We got him this one
    http://www.amazon.com/Step2-703100-LifeStyle-PartyTime-Kitchen/dp/B003NVJ7WK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399218874&sr=8-1&keywords=party+kitchen

He loves all the doors that open and close and pressing the different buttons on the phone and microwave. It has lots of little things that beep and sizzle.

That first round of the inhaler sounded dreadful. I'm glad he relaxed and grew more comfortable with it for the second shift. And even happier to hear that he's breathing well and drinking fluids again. Hopefully he is on the fast track to recovery!

@Silva: Wow wow wow that sounds like an amazing day! Enjoy every moment of it!

35. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: hope Xander's pedi is happy. Glad he seems normal today. This kids sure know hope to keep us on our toes

@Silva: wow that sounds heavenly! Enjoy!

@QueensBee: the play kitchen looks like so much fun! We don't have the room for one but B's daycare has one but so far B doesn't care too much about it. Total "yay" on the promotion - so cool. We've also slowly started the NTNP phase, exciting times although I still feel so crazy for wanting to start all over again.

@AprilFool: ahhhh, go H! Love she proved she could say "hat" when your DH was skeptical.

I just got back from our return flight. Everything worked out really well. B was a trooper and was charming the people next to us. it just sucked that the airline wasn't able to give us our stroller back at the aircraft. Instead they had us pick it up at the bulky luggage counter. Luckily I only had a backpack so I was able to carry B. We loved our concert and B went to bed pretty well for my mom. She had to rock him for a couple of minutes but otherwise he was fine. When we got home we talked to my mum and then peeked into the room where B was sleeping to find him awake sitting in his bed. He smiled so big once he saw us and easily went back down and STTN. So all in all success on all accounts.

36. silver1

apricot / 338 posts

This thread goes so fast and trying to catch up
    @Adira: Glad to hear he is feeling better hope is back to normal soon!!
    @Silva: Hope you had a fun and relaxing spa day!!!
    @Pumuckl: Yay for an excellent trip and B being so good on the flight!!
    @QueensBee: Congrats on the promotion so exciting!! and Yay for ttc #2!! the play kitchen looks so cute would love to get one but alas almost as big as a real kitchen in nyc
    @AprilFool: Awesome learning new word!! J is working on banana and says "nana" his favorite food
    Also J took his first steps unassisted!! he walks some but then starts crawling again as that is so much faster for now. Hopefully he will be walking soon and we can have fun times in the park this summer.

37. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

I missed a lot, too, ha!

I hope R's mouth is better and Xander is feeling much better after tonight! So stressful all the babies are so sick!

@silva, how was your day off??

@silver, walking! It's such a fun stage

@queensbee, yay for extra money! DH and I are both due for promotions this year-we are also hoping it makes transitioning to two much easier, financially speaking

38. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@blackbird: um, I almost feel guilty for how amazing it was. But, I try really hard not to be a martyr.

My friend and I (the non-preggo one) split a bottle of wine by the pool, and enjoyed two different hot tubs, the sauna, and the pool. I had such a wonderful time. My massage was incredible, she finally fixed the tennis elbow I've had for 4 months. I'm pain free for the first time in probably a year. Amazing.

T had a great day, no issues. When I came home she just asked to be picked up and then silently hugged me for about 5 minutes which was very sweet and kind of heartbreaking. Will see if she wakes up a million times to nurse tonight, since I only nursed her three times today (and usually it's at least 5).

39. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: That kitchen looks like so much fun. Congrats to your DH on the promotion.

@Silva: Sounds like a great day! Hopefully tonight isn't too bad.

@silver1: Yay for steps. Isaac calls banana's nana's too.

@Pumuckl: Sounds like a good trip. Glad everything went good.

@Adira: How is Xander doing? Is he going to have to miss daycare at all this week.

40. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Should I take Isaac to his doctor tomorrow or not? I'm torn. By Saturday afternoon he seemed to be feeling better. Today he was eating all his meals and drinking, but not as much as normal. Then after dinner tonight he threw up again. He's a bit warm but no fever. I just am not sure what to do.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee