Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@Silva: yay!!

2. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Pumuckl: Yay for crawling!!

@ALV91711: Congrats on your niece!!

@Silva: Whoohoo for walking! I also agree with pp about the blocks. I think they will be used for a very long time! I love that nova natural website you linked. They have so many awesome things!

Pete had horrible sleep this weekend. He was up at 4am on Saturday morning and then refused to go back to sleep. So it was a n early start to the day! Then, he was up from 2am-4am on Saturday night. Poor DH was so tired and sleep deprived that he fell down the stairs at 3am while going to get a bottle for him. His foot hit the railing and it's seriously bruised! He may have to go to doc tomorrow to see if it's broken.

3. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

Yay for walking!!!

@queensbee, awww I hope DH didn't break his foot DH hurt his in softball Tues and it is so bruised and disgusting. Lots of ice and ibuprofen helps but ugh. Such a pain for them

4. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@QueensBee: oh man, waldorf toys + me = potential for serious consumer debt. I hope your husband is alright, I feel like we are barely functioning at this point- a year of sleep deprivation will do terrible things to people.

5. Smurfette

@QueensBee: Oh no!! R had a bad night last night. We were outside so much in Sat and DH cut a lot of plants/ivy back and we think she breathed in to much pollen. She was up coughing most of the night. Then today was so tired so took two naps but would cough whenever she layed down. I hope tonight is better.

6. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Silva: Yay for walking!

@QueensBee: Sounds like a stressful weekend. Hope your DH is okay, it sounds so painful.

@blackbird: Hope your DH's foot is also getting better.

@Smurfette: I hope she went down alright at night for you and slept a decent amount.

7. Smurfette

@Pumuckl: We gave her some Benadryl and it helped. She slept all night for the first time in awhile. No coughing till 5 this morning. But when she got up, she was coughing so much. Poor girl!

8. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@Silva: Yay walking!!!

@QueensBee: Oh yikes, that sounds rough!!! I hope you all get some real sleep soon!

Okay ladies, how do you towel your babes off after a bath?? Now that Xander's a pro walker/stander, whenever we take him out of the bath, he wants to just stay standing up and he freaks out when we lay him down to towel him off! What do you guys do??

9. Smurfette

@Adira: We lift her out of the tub and dry her off while she stands there. Then we are done and she takes off running through the house butt ass naked and it makes me smile.

10. Adira

@Smurfette: haha, maybe I should just do that. Lately Hubs and I have been man-handling him to lay him down on the towel and he just starts crying! Next time I'll try to towel him off standing up!

11. blackbird

I lay the towel over me, pick her up and hold her and wrap it around her and just kind of pat her dry while she sits/stands on me. I usually get a little wet.

12. Adira

@blackbird: haha, getting a little wet while driving him off isn't an issue since he splashes like a maniac while taking a bath and I'm already wet!!

13. blackbird

Oh yeah,. E has this new habit of splashing water on me. It's fun and adorable so I let it slide

14. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@blackbird: @Silva: @Smurfette: @Adira: @Pumuckl: Thanks for the well wishes! DH was off to work in the city today so hopefully he can hobble around Grand Central Station and Times Square without getting mowed over. I am encouraging him to go to a doc but right now he is refusing! So stubborn...

@Adira: I grab him out of the tub using the towel and then towel him off while he's in my arms. As soon as I put him down, he is off running around. If I'm lucky, I can quickly get a diaper on him. But most of the time, he runs off without a diaper and immediately pees on the floor! Then I have to chase him to put on the diaper and pajamas. He loves the chase and runs into all the different bedrooms, naked and squealing! It's probably one of my favorite parts of the day (aside from the pee on my floor!)
    Good luck!

Pete slept 7pm to 6:30am last night! So amazing! We had a carbon monoxide detector go off in the middle of the night due to low battery, which he even slept though. Each night is a total crapshoot with him, never know what to expect....

@Smurfette: Oh gosh, I hope last night was better for you too. We don't have a ton in bloom in NY yet. I never thought about the pollen affecting sleep! How did she do last night?

15. Smurfette

@QueensBee: We gave her Benadryl so she slept great. Not a peep till 5 when she woke up coughing but then went back to sleep till 6. I wish that I could give it to her every night She was coughing a lot once she woke up.

16. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Smurfette: Glad to hear she slept ok and didn't go into the week with a sleep deficit. B woke up at 6:15am today and went he wouldn't calm down I went in his room and he was sitting in his bed screaming and looking desperately at his pacifiers which were all on the floor and out of reach... So I took him to my room and nursed him and luckily he went back to sleep till 7:30am.

@QueensBee: So glad Pete gave you the opportunity to catch up on some shut eye. Hope DH will listen to you! Otherwise he has revoked his right to complain about pain

@Adira: B will let me lay him down but then he doesn't walk yet. I have noticed though that (same with diaper changes) it works better when I tell him in advance what to expect. As in "I'm gonna lay you down now so we can put the diaper on and then after that we will put the sleep sack on..."

17. photojane

cantaloupe / 6164 posts

@Silva: Hurray!! I think this stage has been my favorite yet. Watching them explore as walkers is so much fun!

18. photojane

cantaloupe / 6164 posts

@Adira: We give Sadie nakey time after the bath. I just dry her off standing and let her run around her room naked for 10 minutes or so. Then we do diaper, PJ's, bed. She seems to burn off any last little bits of energy during nakey time!

19. Adira

@photojane: @QueensBee: @Smurfette: I'll have to give naked time a try! I bet Xander will love it and it probably helps diaper rash too!

20. blackbird

@adira, I think it's important for things to air out a little bit down there

21. Smurfette

Well I called the new center and they have R down as starting June 1st. DH is going to drop off the application and check on Friday during the day. I just got sad writing the letter to her school now. I am not looking forward to telling her teacher in the AM.

I just hope we are making the right decision.

22. photojane

cantaloupe / 6164 posts

@Smurfette: Missed the first update - why are you moving R? Is everything ok?

23. Adira

@Smurfette: I think you are! R is going to be a lot happier with a short car ride and being able to stay in daycare during that time instead. Plus it'll just make your lives so much more convenient! And if you're ever sick, it'll give you the option of bringing her to daycare so that you can stay home and rest (I LOVE having this option). It might be a little hard for a few days while she transitions, but I think overall, she'll be fine! Plus it sounds like your new daycare really will be good for her in the long run!

24. Smurfette

@photojane: Where she goes now is by my work and since moving to one nap, most days is crappy due to 2 boys not wanting to nap, it is really hard to keep her up in the car ride home. Or happy. It 45 mins most days with traffic. Getting to hard for both of you. I would rather her be at school longer but playing and learning then in the car. Plus this way DH can do drop off and pick up on Friday's.
    Plus I want another job once we have another LO and I don't want to drive R up and back 2 times a day when on maternity leave with another.

25. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@Adira: another vote for naked time! It's a really fun part of our day. Can be a little messy, but nothing you haven't dealt with before, I'm sure!

@Smurfette: I am in molar hell. I keep thinking of you!

26. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

It looks like H has a new tooth except it was not one of the two molars I could tell were coming. Three teeth at once! No wonder she has been a cranky miss. She also took a few tumbles this morning and hit her head twice on the coffee table! One left a great big egg.

@Smurfette: I think you guys are doing the right thing!

@Adira: H loves doing her nudey run at bath time.

27. Smurfette

@Silva: seriously those suck!
    @AprilFool: Poor girl! R fell and split her lip open tonight.

28. photojane

cantaloupe / 6164 posts

@Smurfette: Sounds like a good move to me! I know it must be so hard. These kids are so resilient though. I know she'll find her groove at the new place quickly & she'll love it!

@AprilFool: Yikes! I think we're in for lots of that at this stage! Sadie got her first black eye last night. She moved up to the next Sunday School class & I guess they are rough and tumble in there. She got a rug burn on her face & a black/swollen eye!

29. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: Isaac had that when he was little but it cleared up on his own. Hope your guys clears up. Yay for real crawling!

@Silva: Yay for walking!

@QueensBee: Did your DH get his foot checked out? Glad last night was a better night for sleep. Hopefully he does good again tonight.

@Smurfette: Glad the Benadryl helped her to sleep. I think she'll do great at her new daycare, or course it will be an adjustment, but it is going to be great having her in a place closer to home.

@Adira: DH sits him on the change table to dry him off. As long as he has something to hold he is fine.

@AprilFool: I hope those molars come in. I'm so glad that Isaac isn't teething right now, but the molars will be next and I'm really not looking forward to it.

This weekend we finally started bathing Isaac in the big tub. We'd still been doing it in the kitchen sink. The first night he whimpered the whole time. The second night he smiled and had fun and then tonight he wasn't too sure again. So cute though to be able to let him crawl naked from his room to the bathroom.

30. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Smurfette: @photojane: Our poor clumsy girls! I think H got it from mama... I am terrible. Can I wrap her in cotton wool?

@ALV91711: We are getting the molars out of order! But a top incisor popped through this morning.

31. Smurfette

@ALV91711: after bath naked time is the best.

32. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Smurfette: I think you're doing the right thing and once you're through the tough part I bet you'll be looking forward to the new school - it's still ok to grieve the old school/teachers though. I mean their only downside is that they are too far from home so there shouldn't really be any hard feelings on their part.

@AprilFool: haha, sometimes I wonder if wrapping him up in cotton would help but then they wouldn't learn so that'd be stupid too.

@ALV91711: Isn't it funny how sometimes they seem not to like changes? I'm dreading putting B back in the big tub. He went back into the small tub once he was able to sit but slowly is growing out of it again.

Oh my, we had a horrible bedtime yesterday. He was pretty happy at dinner so it kind of came out of the blue. But I had decided that it was finally time to wean him off of the right before bed feed and gave him a sippy/bottle with milk before I changed him into his sleep sack. He was crying a little but went to sleep. He slept for like 15min and then was screaming his head off and was inconsolable. So finally I gave in and nursed him which stopped the crying for about exactly the time he was attached to my boob he was back to screaming after that. Finally after trying to calm him for over an hour I resorted to painkillers. I still don’t know what actually hurt him so bad. It then took me another half hour until he was in his crib. He slept through the night with 2 or 3 short crying out episodes but he put himself back to sleep on those and he was more or less back to his happy self this morning though. Still poor baby…

33. Adira

@AprilFool: @Smurfette: Awww, poor kids! Xander's gotten the goose egg bump on his head and the split lip, so I hear you!

@Pumuckl: Yikes! Sorry the nighttime weaning didn't go as well as you had hoped! Hopefully tonight will go better!

34. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: Thank you. Still not sure whether it was the weaning or just pain. Since he'd been peacefully sleeping through his nebulizer treatment and even once I had transferred him to his crib before he started screaming. Ahhhh I'm still looking for that manual even being a year in...

Since we're going out of town tomorrow (my first solo flight with B - wish me luck) I think I'll just stick to the nursing session for this week and try again next week. We get to go to a concert on Thursday evening and my parents are watching B and they'll have to do bedtime I really hope he'll do ok with just his WCM bottle. But usually he's such a laid back guy that I'm pretty sure it's going to work out.

35. Smurfette

@Pumuckl: I hate when you don't know what was wrong. Good Luck tomorrow!!
    @Adira: How long did his lip take to heal? R's looks worse this morning.

36. Adira

@Smurfette: Hmm... not too long... maybe a week? I honestly can't remember!

37. Adira

We had some more success on the food front today! I guess he LOVES Graham Crackers and ate like 8 of them (or 8 pieces, so maybe 2 total)! AND supposedly he had some toast and pineapple this morning!

38. Smurfette

@Adira: great!

39. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Isaac loves daycare, today he smiled at me when I got there and just kept playing. One little girl went and got his coat from his bin and brought it to me and then went and started patting Isaac on his back to let him know it was time to go, that just melted my heart. Then as we were leaving Isaac wanted to play with a puzzle the teacher had, so I stopped. Isaac then started making this noise and looking the other way and the teacher told me that he was calling one of the other boys because they like playing with that puzzle. So adorable.

@Adira: That is so awesome that he is eating food!

@Pumuckl: Hope you have a fun trip, the flight should be fine. Probably a good idea to try weaning again when you are back. Hopefully then it will go fine.

I'm kind of dreading weaning since I have a boob monster. I'm hoping he will start to slow down again and after we go away in June we can wean.

40. Smurfette

Haha R's teacher told me this morning her new word is Mine!!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee