Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

I posted once here and then I disappeared. LO had quite a week last week with RSV and pneumonia. We spent most of the week at the doctor's office. To keep us out of the hospital we had four medications and I had to give a nebulizer breathing treatment every four hours round the clock. The frustrating thing was that I am not at all convinced the medicine helped. Tylenol/Advil seemed to do more for the wheezing than all the breathing-related meds. But I complied with the doctor anyway.

LO is all better now (and DH & I have gotten over the RSV we got from her too) but she's developed crazy bad habits. This weekend she wanted to nurse every 15 minutes!! Before she got sick we were down to morning and night. When I decline she throws a tantrum and tries to hit me or herself. She's also waking up 3-4 times per night & hardly eating solids. I'm so happy she's healthy but I get really frustrated how quickly all the weaning & sleep training work I've done can be undone.

Yesterday was a little better since she was back at daycare -- at least my boobs got a break. I was so worried that I was going to have to ask for the pumping room back but I made it through the work day without bursting a boob. I'm hoping by Saturday she'll forget about daytime nursing completely.

On a positive note, while she was sick and not moving around much I think her brain went into sponge mode. She picked up several new words: yes, thank you, light, door, bird, and the cutest little cheer, "yay!!"

2. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@Corduroy: Oh wow!!! Sorry to hear about all the sickness going on in your family, but glad to hear everyone is feeling better!!! Bummer about some of the regressions though! Hopefully now that she's back at daycare, she'll get over all the daytime nursing and be back to normal by the weekend! Fingers crossed!!

3. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@Corduroy: Glad everyone is feeling better!!!

I have such a hard time keeping up with this thread because ti moves SOOOO fast! Lil B had his 1 year appointment (last week), he is 21 lbs and 29 inches. His head is still in the 90th percentile.... maybe the rest of his body will catch up soon!! Also while we were at the Dr we found out he had an ear infection (I knew he had a fever called the dr, and they said no big deal) so I felt like a crap Mom for not knowing he had an ear infection. He is on antibiotics and is feeling better!

4. Adira

@cheert16: I had the same thing re: ear infection! It was when Xander was younger, but we went in for a well visit and the pediatrician was all "Looks like he has an ear infection in this ear!" and then she checked the other ear and was all "Looks like he's getting over an ear infection in this one!" I was horrified!!! I had no idea!!! So I feel you on being a crap Mom, but it happens to us all!

5. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@Adira: glad to be in the same boat!!

ETA: I posted on your dentist thread- but I called today and they wanted to see Lil B for his first appointment ( maybe because he has 12 teeth!!) But I scheduled it for 2 weeks from now!

6. Adira

@cheert16: OMG!!! I can't believe you're going to the dentist so soon!! Xander only has 6 teeth, so I feel like I probably can wait until he has more...

7. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@Corduroy: Glad that she is feeling better!!
    @cheert16: ear infections are so hard to figure out. I am always worried R has one and I just don't know it.
    @cheert16: @Adira: I can't even imagine taking R to the dentist. Getting her to brush her teeth almost never happens. She started crying when I walked in the bathroom and picked up the brush last night.

8. Adira

@Smurfette: Ugh, the same thing happened to me the other day. Xander USED to be great with his teeth being brushed, but the last time I did it (I usually make Hubs handle bedtime), he FREAKED out and started crying when I walked into the bathroom and picked up the toothbrush! And then he clamped his lips shut tight!

9. Smurfette

@Adira: it is a battle every night with me. DH usually has more luck, but he is only home 3 nights for bedtime. I don't even try in the AM, cause we leave before she eats or drinks anything.
    I don't know if it is better to just not or do it while she cries.....

10. Adira

@Smurfette: I have no advice. We don't do it in the morning either, but I know we should because Xander usually nurses, so we should brush he teeth after. Ugh...

11. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: @Smurfette: I hear you on the teeth brushing. It's always a battle. Luckily he hasn't figured out that screaming opens his mouth and I can brush then... Not looking forward to having to pry it open...

@Smurfette: B goes to sleep between 7-7:30pm and gets up between 6:45-7:30am.

@Corduroy: wow, sounds scary but glad everything is back to normal now.

@cheert16: sorry to hear about the ear infection. B has had an infected ear a couple of times but luckily it always got better without antibiotics. And don't feel bad about missing it!

@queensbee: yay, for Pete finding his voice!

12. cmomma17

honeydew / 7811 posts

Thanks for the birthday wishes for my LO everybody! His birthday was great (but exhausting for DH and I!), despite lot's of drama before hand with my MIL being in the hospital.

I still can't believe I have a one year old!

RE: teeth brushing - what kind of brush does everyone use? We have not added teeth brushing to our routine yet (is that terrible??). LO only has 2 teeth so far.

13. Adira

@cmomma17: I started out using one of those finger brushes that just goes on your finger. But now I just have some plain one I got at the grocery store that came with toothpaste. Xander likes to hold it and swing it around (and not brush his teeth with it, obviously).

14. cmomma17

honeydew / 7811 posts

@Adira: haha, silly Xander. Cole has been "brushing his teeth" with my DH for months now, but not daily. He just chews on a spare brush we had (free one from the dentist).

15. Smurfette

@cmomma17: We have a My Little Pony one that came with the toothpaste. But the toothpaste doesn't happen, it made it worse.

16. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@cmomma17: we've always had the baby versions of normal toothbrushes. I believe the brands are not available in the States though.

17. Adira

@Smurfette: What flavor is your toothpaste? I got banana flavored toothpaste because bananas are one of Xander's favorites, and that was a big hit for him! When I wanted to brush his teeth the other day, the only thing he wanted to do with the toothbrush was put toothpaste on it, haha.

18. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@Smurfette: @Adira: We do toothpaste on his Mickey toothbrush every night. He opens his mouth for me to put the brush in and lets me scrub his teeth- he is pretty good. In the morning he sits in the bathroom with me with an extra toothbrush (that he chews on) and watches when I brush my teeth. Don't know if that has helped him be chill about teeth brushing. I am nervous about them looking in his mouth- because he is SOOOO not interested in that!

Guys- I am having a WICKED HARD TIME getting lil B to give up the bottle!!! He hates milk in a sippy/straw/ any kind of cup. He only likes it in his bottle.... I don't know what to do! He wont nap or fall asleep without this damn bottle! I gotta get rid of it soon!! HELP!!!!

19. Adira

@cheert16: Just cut it cold turkey (or eliminate one bottle a week or something). Just don't give in! He won't drink as much for a few weeks and probably won't nap as well, but he WILL get used to it!! I promise!!!

20. cmomma17

honeydew / 7811 posts

@cheert16: we went cold turkey. DH handed him his milk in a sippy (zoli) one day and we never used a bottle again.

21. Smurfette

@Adira: I don't know, we have two kinds. Neither are banana. Where did you get it?
    @cheert16: We went cold turkey but she had dropped her afternoon sessions herself. Honestly, if he isn't ready I don't see it as a big deal. I would at least try and get rid of the day time maybe. But lots of kids over 1 still get a bottle. Try and not stress so much over it.

22. Adira

@Smurfette: I just got it at our local grocery store. In the same aisle as baby food, they also have other baby accessories like cups and bottles and toothpaste, etc. It has Sesame Street characters on it I think.

23. Adira

Xander actually ate some table food today!!! He apparently ate TWO Ritz Crackers at daycare!!! Success!

24. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@Adira: What a great win on the crackers! I hope this is the start of lots of solids.

@cheert16: I'm having bottle weaning struggles too. I gave up on the sippy cup transition a couple of times but I need to get serious about it.

25. Adira

@Corduroy: Me too! Although he didn't eat a cracker at home, so who knows. Hopefully we're getting there!

26. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: Yay, all the offering him table foods is paying off! Glad he's starting to like them.

@cheert16: I don't even try giving him milk from something different than a bottle yet. I really like to offer it in a bottle while the water is in a sippy so he doesn't get confused (he doesn't get milk from something different from my boob though). He'll get it at some point and I don't think it is worth stressing over.

27. Smurfette

@Adira: That's great!!

So we aren't going to go out of town as planned. So tomorrow we are going to take R to day care. Then DH and I are going to tour the new day care, go to Ikea (get R some stuff), and then have lunch. Then pick her up early. Yay! Day date!!

28. Adira

@Smurfette: Soooooo jealous of your day date tomorrow!!! Hubs was planning on taking the day off tomorrow (I have it off already) and we were going to go to the movies, but now he says he has to work! I'm so bummed! I hope you guys have a good time!!

29. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@Corduroy: Urg- why is it so hard??
    @Pumuckl: I like the way you think.... its not worth stressing over!

@Smurfette: Day Date! So jealous! I have tomorrow off- and it will be me and Lil B cleaning the house (before the cleaners come on Saturday- I am crazy)

30. Smurfette

@cheert16: You are crazy! I put things away, but our floors are always so dirty by the time our cleaners come.

31. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@Smurfette: My house is so cluttered- so I have lots of junk to put away! My floors will stay dirty- but this is a new company- so I don't want them to think we are dirty people! (although I am sure the dust levels will alert them!!)

32. Smurfette

@cheert16: My house is a mess right now. You can't see the kitchen table. I have to get it cleaned up this weekend. Driving me crazy but after getting R to sleep, I have been working out, so Mama is tired!

33. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@Smurfette: that's exactly it- my kitchen table is the worst! And for easter, I just swept all the junk into a tote and said ill deal with this later! Looks like tomorrow is my organization day!

34. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Corduroy: Happy to hear you all are back in good health but the sleep regression must be so frustrating! How did it go last night?

@cheert16: Twelve teeth! Wow! Let us know how the appointment goes! And you are definitely not a crap mom. There's no way to tell if they have an ear infection. It happens to everyone!

@Adira: Two Ritz crackers! Success! Way to go, Xander!

@Smurfette: Sounds like such a fun day! DH and I are going out for dinner tonight so I'm looking forward to that but a full day date together would be even better. Enjoy!

Pete had two successful nights of sleep and has been in a great mood during the day. Last night, I slept for a full eight hours and woke up so rested. I can't remember the last time I felt like that. Really hope it lasts and I didn't just jinx it!

35. Adira

@QueensBee: That's awesome!!! I can't remember the last time I've gotten 8 hours of sleep, haha. I usually go to bed too late.

36. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

Just got back from T's one year check up. Healthy girl. Doc could feel the ridge of one molar (on her right side), which confirmed my suspicion and explains why she just wants to nurse ALL afternoon long.
    Poor girl took a crappy morning nap, so after the doctor and her vaccines she was pooped- fell asleep during the 5minute car ride! I gave her some tylenol in case she was sore at all, and she was out.

Her hemoglobin level was good, which was nice to hear. She is still a peanut- I hope she grows a bit more and can fit into all the cute summer clothes I have for her!!! She weighs 17 lb and 14.5 oz (20%) and is 27.84" tall (9.37%).

Happy to get the 1-year vaccines in her! The doctor agrees with us that she has caught up to all her verbal milestones and is thriving. This was the first appt my husband wasn't able to come to (he needed to sleep after his overnight shift), so I had to do the vaccines by myself. Awful! But she got over it quickly- I nursed her and then gave her a pouch

37. Adira

@Silva: What a little peanut! And I hear you about hoping they grow to fit in summer clothes! I've bought Xander all 18m stuff for the summer, but he still fits GREAT in 12m, so I'm worried that all the summer stuff I bought is too big!

Glad the vaccines are over! I had to do them alone too, but Xander seemed to get over it pretty quickly, thankfully! I've heard the NEXT set of vaccines are worse though because they remember this one!

38. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

Hooray for T doing well!

39. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@Adira: Most of the stuff I think will be okay- she wears huge cloth diapers....but the dresses might be too long!
    Oh well. she will just look like a hobo.

40. Smurfette

@Silva: Yay for great appointments!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee