Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Isaac woke up again today just after 4am and was starving. I'm so exhausted. He had lots for dinner last night and went to sleep about 7pm. Not nearly enough sleep. Any advice to get him to eat more at night or sleep longer?

2. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@Adira: @ALV91711: We give her a little dixie cup with a little water at home after she brushes her teeth but that is all. They use little cups and don't fill it up much, so they refill a lot. But she does great with it. We just do a sippy at home but I am going to start water with a regular cup. But milk will be in a sippy for awhile.

3. Smurfette

@ALV91711: Try a cup of milk after dinner.

4. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@Smurfette: We've let Xander take sips from our cups, but I am so not ready to make the switch! Though I agree about keeping milk in a sippy!!

@ALV91711: Ugh, I have no advice. Even when Xander doesn't seem to eat a lot of dinner, he still seems to sleep okay, though he eats well at daycare. I agree with @Smurfette: about trying milk after dinner!

5. Adira

Ugh, we're joining the biting club. Xander bit someone today at daycare. Not sure if he's acting out because of the baby or just going through that normal biting phase, but I feel bad.

6. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: @Adira: Oh ya, I never even thought of milk. That is a good idea. He ate a good dinner tonight, I'll give him milk and hope that helps.

@Smurfette: I like the idea of using dixie cups. Don't have to worry about breaking or anything like that and they are a good size.

@Adira: I hope that he doesn't bite again. That sucks. Hopefully it is a short phase and passes quickly.

7. Smurfette

@ALV91711: we don't give milk during dinner. Otherwise she won't eat. So after dinner she gets a glass of milk.
    @Adira: sorry! It sucks but it is completely normal. Hopefully he doesn't do it for long!

8. silver1

apricot / 338 posts

@Adira: Congrats on the new arrival!!! Hopefully the biting doesn't continue for too long. J sometimes pinches me and then he goes ouch!! I have put that down to a phase of toddler exploring.
    Omg I feel bad writing this but J still drinks milk from his bottle in morning and at bedtime. Its the same stage 1 bottle since he was a newborn. I guess I'm babying him but anyway planning to transition around his 2nd bday. He does drink water during the day from straw cup and lately from open cup if Im holding it.
    @ALV91711: Ugh sorry and yes to the milk suggestion. Could he be thirsty if you have heat on? I have recently started giving J some water after his milk and he drinks it esp if he didn't drink enough at dinner.

9. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@ALV91711: I think @smurfette's suggestion of a glass of milk before bed is a good one! Let us know if it helps!

@Adira: Oh no! Stressful! I hope your daycare can help him get past this phase quickly.

@Smurfette: Pete's daycare has been giving him a little glass cup since he started in September, so we do it at home too. It was a bit of a mess at first but he learned really quickly. And yes, they look so grown up drinking out of it! I think the dixie cup is a great idea!

Sleep was a bust last night and he was in our bed by 3am. And today was another tearful pickup at daycare! But he's been in a fun and silly mood other than that so I can't complain too much!

10. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@silver1: I actually leave a sippy cup of water in his crib. I have since the summer when it was really warm. Some nights he drinks most of it and others none. Nothing wrong with a bottle still, especially if he is drinking from a cup in the day.

@QueensBee: I hope tonight is better for you.

So I tried to give him milk when I was putting him to bed but he wanted nothing to do with it. So I guess we will just see how tonight goes.

11. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@travellingbee: I'm so sorry about your CP...

@Adira: Congrats again on your new son! You have great taste in names! How has it been adjusting to two?

@ALV91711: I have no advice, but will usually give J some milk before bed. I hope tonight is better for you!

12. Adira

@ALV91711: @Smurfette: @silver1: @QueensBee: Thanks ladies! I really hope it's just a phase, or even just a one time thing. I have no idea what will happen if he keeps biting at daycare!!

@silver1: I think he bottle is probably still okay. One of my coworkers did the same thing and didn't wean her son until closer to 2 as well!

@QueensBee: Sorry about the sleep and pick up fight, but sounds like he's pretty happy otherwise!

@ALV91711: Bummer he wouldn't drink the milk. Fingers crossed that he still sleeps okay for you.

@Mrs. High Heels: So far things have been a lot easier than I was expecting! Logan is such an easy baby and Hubs has been awesome about stepping it up with Xander while I'm busy nursing. I think just being the second makes it easier too. I remember being sooooo overwhelmed with Xander and I don't feel like that this time because I already know what I'm doing! Though Xander has been in daycare all week, so I'm a little nervous about getting through a full day with both of them!

13. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: I'm sure having both of the boys at home all day won't be too bad. Especially since there are 2 adults, so your not outnumbered.

Last night Isaac slept good but he woke up just before 4:30 and wanted to eat. He had a big breakfast. WFT kid, this is just too early.

I'm really excited, today we are taking Isaac to Sesame Street Live. I'm just hoping he likes it and doesn't freak out.

14. Adira

@ALV91711: At least he eats well at some meals! But kid needs to get the memo that 4:30 is too early! I hope you have fun at Sesame Street Live!

15. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: I guess at least he is in a good mood and playing while watching cartoons.

I'm kind of worried that he won't nap today though. He used to nurse before his nap and last weekend he didn't really nap, but he was also pretty sick. I need a happy kid, we have company coming to spend the night and they have a 2yo girl.

16. Adira

@ALV91711: Fingers crossed he nap for you!! You'd think he would especially need it since he was up so early!

17. Smurfette

@ALV91711: try the milk right after dinner, not right before bed

18. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: I'm going to try what you said. Usually we give him milk with dinner, but tonight I will try right after instead. Make sure he fills up on food.

19. Mrs. High Heels

@Adira: lucky you with two easy babies!! glad to hear your DH is really doing well with the transition too! hopefully the weekend won't be too bad either, since there will still be a 1:1 ratio with your DH home as well. i found the first month with two was pretty easy bc J slept a lot, but month two was hard on me.

@ALV91711: Hoping he naps for you today too! I wonder if he's going through a growth spurt or something?

20. Adira

@Mrs. High Heels: haha, it's only been a week! Who knows if Logan will continue to be so easy!! And I'm already finding the weekend with two overwhelming. Although Hubs got up with Xander and wasn't up multiple times in the middle of the night for over an hour feeding the baby, as soon as I got up, he decided to try to take a nap!! And then I had the baby trying to nurse to sleep and Xander in my face trying to climb all over both of us! And I'm trying to convince Hubs he really needs to shower NOW while Xander is napping OR get up before Xander gets up tomorrow to shower, but I know he's going to wait and just shower at some point in the morning and abandon me with both the kids and I'm going to go crazy. Plus Logan is due for a growth spurt any day now, so I know I'm in for all-day nursing sessions soon!!

21. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: this is how we do it too. Dinner with water to drink and milk afterwards. He'll usually easily chug down 6-8oz. Goodluck hope it helps.

@Adira: glad to hear that Logan is an easy baby as well and things are going well.

Things here are slowly getting better since currently it's *knock on wood* only B that still has some trouble with diarrhea.

22. Adira

@Mrs. High Heels: Does it get easier as they both get older? I'm already finding two a little difficult... Specifically Hubs. Whenever I'm not nursing he immediately is pawning Xander off on me. And Xander is high energy and demands lots of attention! I'm tired and bedtime isn't for another three hours!

23. Adira

How is the behavior of everyone's LO? Xander keeps hitting us. Is this normal or is he lashing out because of the baby???

24. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@Adira: LO isn't hitting us but she's been throwing things at us several times a day. It doesn't seem to be out of anger, just testing out throwing skills. I hope Xander stops hitting soon.

25. Adira

What time are your LO's bedtimes?? Hubs just put Xander to bed and he FREAKED OUT because I guess he wasn't really tired?? I don't know. We've been doing bedtime between 7:00-7:30 and he gets up around 7:00 a.m.

26. silver1

apricot / 338 posts

@Adira: LO doesn't hit us but he throws things to floor when he is frustrated. Does this happen when you are taking care of both? Not the same but my cat sometimes gets jealous if I'm giving attention to lo and she is all up on me. J has same bedtime and wakeup time as Xander. Today we didn't go out due to bad weather. I worry about whether he is tired or not too esp on weekends. Rarely J freaks out but we leave him for 5-10 min and he can usually quiet down by himself. A couple of months back this was more frequent.
    @ALV91711: Hoping tonite goes better for you

27. Smurfette

@Adira: she has hit us, playfully, the last couple days, like once a day, so we just tell her no no, make her say sorry, and give us kisses.
    We put her down at 730 and usually falls asleep close to 8. She is up 630/730. If she takes a later nap, then we put her down a little later.

28. Mrs. High Heels

@Adira: it does get easier as they get older. when J was first born, Noelle was only a little over two years old and I still couldn't leave her sight for more than 5 min at a time, so nursing and trying to entertain her was a challenge, but as she got older she started doing more and more on her own with me completely out of sight. i just had to give her an activity and she was fine. it also got easier when J was 6 months and starting solids, and decreasing nursing sessions... then got even easier once we weaned. breastfeeding/pumping seriously takes up so much time, and doesn't leave much room for two hands much less juggling two kids!

I think your DH is also figuring things out too, so he may need some time to readjust to this new normal too. I'd say the true turning point was when #2 was 18 months bc they were so much more interactive with each other and could play together... but that comes with it's own challenges too bc if they want to play with the same things you end up playing referee! every stage is a new challenge, but it does get easier and easier as they get older, and you'll find your groove soon enough. it was a much easier adjustment for me than the 0-1 transition. things just phased me a lot less, and I just had a higher tolerance and threshold for things.

this is your first weekend with two, but it'll get better! you're all in an adjustment period, including xander!

29. Mrs. High Heels

@Adira: J hits lightly and playfully every once in awhile, but not out of anger or in an aggressive way. We try to put a stop to even that though and tell him that we don't hit people. J usually goes down between 7:30-8 pm (depends on when he wakes up from his nap.. today he woke up at 3:30 pm so we will put him down at 8)...

He used to sleep from 7:30-6:30 am like clockwork, but just recently he started sleeping in until past 7.

30. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: I'm sure the weekends with everyone home will get easier with time. You all have to adjust to a new normal.

@Adira: Sorry you are dealing with hitting. I'm glad we haven't had to deal with this yet.

@Corduroy: Sometimes Isaac throws his toys and it seems to be when he is frustrated.

@Adira: Usually 6:30 - 7. Last night was an hour late and he did pretty good and didn't get up until 6:15am, which is his normal amount of sleep.

We had company last night and there little girl is 4 months older than Isaac. It was so cute watching them play together. I think Isaac really like having someone to play with at our house.

31. Adira

@silver1: @Smurfette: @Mrs. High Heels: @ALV91711: Thanks for all your experiences with hitting. Xander is definitely hitting out of anger. He hits when we tell him no or won't let him do something he wants. So frustrating!! And time out doesn't really seem to be working because we'll tell him no, give him a warning, and then ask if he wants to go into time out and he just goes "Yeah" and does time out and doesn't seem upset by it at all.

@Smurfette: @Mrs. High Heels: @ALV91711: Well, despite the freakout at 7:15, he was asleep by 7:30, so maybe that bedtime is still okay. I don't know!

@Mrs. High Heels: Thank you for your insight!! I think you're right about my husband just adjusting. He really needs to just go to bed earlier since he needs to be more "on" during the day with Xander and Xander is HIGH energy!! And I imagine that you're right, that it'll be easier as Logan gets older. I think once he's not eating as much and I'm able to help out with Xander more, it'll be easier on my husband at least!

32. Adira

Ugh, Hubs is losing his patience with Xander. Xander just keeps hitting us. Hubs finally put Xander in his crib for a time out and was going to leave him there for five minutes until I convinced him it was a bad idea to use his crib as punishment. So we set out a dining chair in the corner for time out, but Xander just doesn't seem to get it. He goes in time out and then immediately hits one of us again once he's out. Back in time out and then hitting again as soon as it's over! I don't get it. Where'd my sweet little boy go?? I finally got him to stop hitting by changing his diaper as a distraction and then we started playing. But I just don't know what I should be doing here...

33. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: I'm sorry he's hitting so much. We use the crib for time outs. Mostly because he won't stay somewhere else for one. It hasn't affected anything yet sleep wise. And when we get him out after a few minutes he seems to understand. Also if he is on his way to misbehaving and we warn him he'll be going in his crib for time out a lot of the time he changes his behavior. I hope you find a way to stop this hitting.

34. Mrs. High Heels

@Adira: When did the hitting and change in behavior start? After you brought Logan home, or before he arrived? For timeouts, we put J in a corner facing the wall, and we stand with our back to him so he can't really go anywhere. We just stand with our backs to him and ignore him for 2 minutes, but if he tries to squirm out or leave, we quietly place him back with him facing the wall.

Btw, Noelle never minded time outs either, and would often put herself in time out... but that may not always be a bad thing. It still helped her calm down and recollect herself. Maybe don't think of it as punishment so much as a way for them to cool down and have some space?

35. Adira

@ALV91711: Glad to hear the crib works for you! I think I would've been okay with it except that we were leaving him there and he couldn't see us and it just didn't feel like it was going to be effective.

@Mrs. High Heels: The hitting started before Logan, though it's definitely been worse this weekend. I think we need to be consistent about our timeout location though. Hubs has put him in a timeout in various locations throughout the house, so I'm not sure that helps. And he definitely doesn't seem to mind time out, but he's also still acting up immediately after, so it doesn't seem to be working. So frustrating.

On a happier note, I just ordered our Christmas cards! I'm so excited!! This is the first time I've done photo cards. I hope they turn out okay.

36. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@silver1: I see kids around the city who are way older than 2 still drinking from bottles. I'm sure you're fine, especially since he can drink form straw and open cups too! Whatever works!

@ALV91711: How did Sesame Street go? Did he love it?

@Adira: I'm sorry you are having these issues with Xander (and DH) lately. Of course it could be anything but my guess would be that he's reacting to the new baby. Since I haven't gone through this, I don't have any personal advice to offer but I have heard that a book called "Siblings Without Rivalry" is a good resource.

Pete has been going to bed around 7pm and wakes up at 6am. But, keep in mind that he also wakes up around 2am to come into bed with us!

@Pumuckl: Hope everyone is finally feeling better!

We took Pete to the zoo today and he was so serious about the whole thing. He didn't smile and wouldn't take any cute photos but was totally entranced by the animals. He kept saying, "More animals! More animals!"

37. Adira

@QueensBee: Thanks! Maybe I'll have to check out that book! And the zoo sounds awesome!! We need to take Xander to something like that! He would love it!

38. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@QueensBee: Fun. We took L to the zoo a few weeks ago and he was entranced too. We got a membership so I hope we will go more often. He really loves animals.

39. Adira

So despite all the hitting today, right before Xander's bedtime, I was playing with him on the floor when all of a sudden, he ran up to me and gave me a HUGE hug!!! It was so sweet. I love him so much!

40. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: glad that the hitting stopped towards the end of the day. I'd bet it's his unvocal toddler way of reacting to you guys rocking his world and putting things upside down. I'm kind of expecting the same thing to happen to us once little sister gets here and home. B's bedtime lately is rather earlier than later. So usually 6:45pm and up for the day between 6:45 and 8am. Depends on the day. Usually he's up at 7-7:15am. Mind you he only naps for 1.5h though. And just like @QueensBee: 's Pete he usually ends up in our bed at some point in the night.

@ALV91711: how's sleeping and eating going?

@QueensBee: @travellingbee: we had a spontaneous trip to the zoo when we visited the ILs a couple of weeks ago and B was so entranced as well. They also had a petting zoo and I've seldom seen my little dude so happy.

Things here are slowly getting better. The stomach bug has now finally cycled through the family so we're out of the woods there. B's pink eye is also getting better so hopefully things will be back to normal soon.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee