Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: Last night and tonight I got milk in him before bed, before that he refused to have any before bed. Last night he had about 5oz and tonight probably closer to 8oz. This morning I think he was up so early because he pooped. We have started getting him to bed about half an hour later, so about 7. Tonight he fell asleep at 7:15. The only good thing is the last two nights he didn't wake up. Usually we have to be out of the house at 6:15, but Monday I start a new job and we won't have to leave until about 7:15, so I'm hoping with a later bedtime he will start sleeping until closer to 6am.

@QueensBee: @Pumuckl: I didn't even try and get him back down after the early wake up. We just cuddled and watched cartoons until I needed to shower.

@Pumuckl: I don't blame you for just taking him to your bed right away. Being pregnant and up in the night must not go together well.

@blackbird: Edible Arrangements is a great idea, I was thinking of looking into doing that too.

@QueensBee: That sucks that your DH coming to bed wakes him up. I'd try closing the door when you go to bed and see if that helps. I'd be scared to try a toddler bed but I think it is a good idea. Everything else just seems miserable (letting him cry it out or be awake). I hope that something works soon.

@Pumuckl: I give Isaac pep talks before bed too. Tonight you will be a big boy and sleep in your bed all night. It pretty much never has worked!

Is everyone ready for Christmas? I think this year is going to be a lot of fun.

2. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@QueensBee: @ALV91711: hahaha, yeah the pep talk never helps here either but then at least I feel like I'm "doing" something. Our bed sometimes feel crowded too although our bed is between a queen and a king size (180cm). Since half the nights a week I'm alone with him there thankfully is enough room.

Trying to getting him to sleep in his crib while he is all worked up is something that can take hours and since I'm not supposed to sit or stand for long periods of time I simply cannot do it. I still hope that one day he'll just magically go back to STTN.

Other than that we went to the pedi this morning for another blood draw. Thankfully my DH drove down in the middle of the night yesterday so he could help me with it today. I had hoped to get him weighed but that didn't work out today. Oh well... Lets hope his liver markers are back in the normal range again.

3. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: really looking forward to Christmas this year although I'm kind of scared of what B will do to that poor tree. We have most presents/gifts for him ready. It's just so cute watching him react to his little presents from the advent calendar each morning though. He gets all excited that there is another paket waiting at his place at the table every morning. And he's so good at unwrapping gifts by now - I was really astonished seeing him unwrap his St. Nikolaus gifts.

4. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@ALV91711: We're almost ready for Christmas! Xander is getting a table and chair set from us and we still have to put it together, but besides that, we're ready! All other gifts have been wrapped and are ready to go!

5. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: You are organized! We got Isaac a table and chairs too, it is still not put together. I have to go finish shopping today.

@Pumuckl: I'm hoping our tree will survive, I guess we will find out when we put it up this weekend. I hope his markers are back to normal. That is good that your DH was able to come help with the appointment.

We were up at 4:45 today. He woke at bout 3:30 and went back to sleep in the guest room with me. When he woke up he got out of bed and bolted for the stairs.

6. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: oh no soooo early. It's the same with B though once he is out of bed there's no way he goes back to sleep. So I always try to catch him before he gets out.

Our Christmas tree traditionally isn't set up until the night of the 23rd. So we have time... It then traditionally stays up until 1/6 which is a holiday here too.

7. Adira

@ALV91711: I only have all this Christmas stuff done because I started un October!! I knew having a newborn would make it difficult to get anything done, so I started super early.

8. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

@QueensBee: I don't think a toddler bed can hurt! Or even a floor bed so you can lay down and then sneak out

@ALV91711: I am really looking forward to Christmas! She's a lot of fun at this age and I think next year she'll really "get" it.

@Pumuckl: E has shown zero interest in the tree now that it's up. We put it in the great room of the house, so it's not right in front of her eyes all the time.

The other night, I slept in the guest room with E in the MOTN. I think toddlers are just weird sometimes, heh.

9. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@ALV91711: We are all ready for Christmas! So far R has NO interest in the Christmas tree. She loves the Advent calendar, but gets mad when I only let her open one a day. We put her kitchen together. I can't wait to play with it with her. I hope she loves it. We didn't buy her a ton, so I need to figure out what Santa is bringing (he gives 3 gifts like the wise men brought Jesus) and then what is from us.

10. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Pumuckl: I hope the blood draw results are good! When will you find out? And your description of him opening the Advent gifts each morning is so sweet, it makes me really wish we had done something similar!

@ALV91711: We are pretty set for Christmas! Gifts are mostly bought and almost all wrapped. Cards are mailed. Holiday music has been playing nightly. The tree has been up for two weeks. I just hope it doesn't dry up before the big day! Pete is very gentle with it and he's obsessed with three nutcracker ornaments that are hanging on low branches. He asks me to take them off the tree for him and then to rehang them about 10 times a day! And the other night, as he was walking up the stairs to bed, he was saying, "I love you, nutcrackers."

I want to bake some cookies with him over and visit a holiday train exhibit this weekend. I love all the holiday festivities!

@Smurfette: I love the tradition of bringing three special gifts from Santa! Great idea!

Last night was a better night. He slept through my husband creaking up the stairs and only came into bed with us at 4:30am. We'll see what tonight brings!

11. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@QueensBee: I'm scared about toddler sleep. Our toddler sleep issues with Noelle started shortly after she turned 2, after we transitioned her out of the crib. We just chose the path of least resistance, and let her sleep with us til morning whenever she woke up in the motn. Have you tried a nightlight or leaving the door open? A floorbed like @blackbird: suggested might be nice compromise since that way you can lay down with him, but at the same time it gives them the freedom to roam around and stall.

@ALV91711: Yes, so excited for Christmas this year! It gets more and more fun every year! We decorated the weekend before Thanksgiving, so extra early this year... I like that we're able to enjoy our Christmas lights and tree for longer than just a few weeks!

12. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: What holiday is on 1/6?

@Adira: That was smart to be ready early. Now you don't have the stress of it with two LO's. How is it going with two?

@blackbird: I think this year will be exciting because they know what new toys are but I agree that next year will be even more fun.

@Smurfette: The kitchen you got R looks so nice, that will be fun to play with. I like that Santa just brings three gifts. Here Santa fills the stocking, with maybe one bigger thing underneath and then the rest is wrapped under the tree from us.

@QueensBee: I've been contemplating baking cookies with Isaac. That is so cute that he says I love you to the nutcrackers.

@Mrs. High Heels: The idea of a toddler bed scares me. I like that the crib keeps them contained!

Last night was a wreck. He had a good dinner but only drank maybe 2oz of milk afterwards. He went to sleep fine but woke up a couple times. Both times he went quickly back to sleep. Then he woke up at 4am. I tried to rock him then he really wanted milk. So we came downstairs and I got him milk and we laid on the couch. He wanted to get up but I told him he either laid down on mommy or had to go to his crib. Finally at 5:40 I let him get up. He probably only slept another 10 min.

13. Adira

@ALV91711: During the week, two is easy, since Xander's in daycare all day!! And Logan's a pretty easy baby so far - perhaps even easier than Xander was!!! But it's the weekend again tomorrow, so I'm nervous! Last weekend was a bit rough... hoping this one is better.

14. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: 01/06/: it's the day the three wise men brought their gifts (I believe the religious term is Epiphany). Sorry about another early start to the day.

@Smurfette: I bet R will love her kitchen!

@Adira: with the upcoming weekend. Hope Xander does better this time.

@QueensBee: baking cookies was fun although B got tired of it rather soonish

15. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@Pumuckl: @ALV91711: 1/6 is a holiday called my daughter's birthday! Hahaa

@Smurfette: Amazing that you guys built that kitchen in 2 hours! She's gonna love it.

@Adira: Hope this weekend goes smoothly for you!

16. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: hahaha, she'd always have the day off in my neck of the woods

17. blackbird

@Adira: Good luck this weekend!!!

18. Adira

@Pumuckl: @Mrs. High Heels: @blackbird: Thanks ladies!! I'm hoping it goes smoothly - it'll probably depend on Hubs and how much sleep he gets, haha. Though I'm also nervous because Logan's going to be 2 weeks and he's due for a growth spurt, so it might be rough if he wants to nurse non-stop! We'll see!

@ALV91711: How'd he eat/drink tonight? I hope you all get some more sleep. Kid needs to start sleeping in!!!

19. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: I hope your weekend goes good. He ate a pretty good dinner with just water and then a few oz of milk before bed. He was asleep at 7:30 tonight, so we will see.

Today Isaac got a Christmas present from his teachers at daycare. Now I really need to get on their gift. I think I'm going to do a small g/c for his two main teachers and then a gift basket for everyone to share.

I bought Isaac a snowman straw cup when I was at Target today and he just loves it! He was giving it kisses all night.

@Mrs. High Heels: Will you be doing a birthday party for her?

@Pumuckl: Do you do anything to celebrate Epiphany?

20. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: I guess you go to church although we don't. Hope tonight goes well for you guys.

Our night was more of the same... Although we're additionally back at teething as well. The first peak of his lower left 2-yr-molar has made an appearance. So if he continues at his normal teething pace we should finally be done teething in February or so... He cries out from pain sometimes but he's pretty much taking it in stride so far - he hasn't needed any painkillers yet. We'll see how it continues.

21. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: Our night was pretty much the same too.

I hope those teeth aren't too painful coming in. I guess it is nice to know there is an end in sight.

22. Adira

@ALV91711: That's so cute about the snowman cup!!!

@Pumuckl: @ALV91711: Bummer about your nights.

I think this weekend might be rough - Hubs is sick. He even tried to get me to get up with Xander this morning even though I had multiple MOTN feeds with Logan. Ugh.

23. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: I never knew toddler sleep could be such a disaster! Since I last complained on here a few days ago, he's been sleeping in his own crib until 3am, which I can live with for now. I am also a fan of the path of least resistance!

@ALV91711: You must be so tired! Have you been able to function at work?

@Pumuckl: Pete's has two upper teeth poking through right now. I just want all the teething to be over!

@Adira: Oh man. Sorry this is going to be a tough weekend. Do you have any family nearby who can help? You have to be careful or you'll be sick next! Good luck and try to get some rest.

Just to add an update to my earlier vent about the daycare gifts...
    I sent the director an email explaining that we had already bought gift cards and needed some time to figure out if we would be able to contribute to the bonuses as well. She wrote a very sweet email back, apologizing that she waited too long to send out her email and said that there is no pressure to give anything more. I felt so much better! In the end, we decided to give $60 additional to the bonuses but not the full amount.

Pete is definitely hitting the bossy, impatient, irrational "terrible two" phase. Last night, when my husband came home from work, Pete was very excited. He wanted DH to sit on the couch with him to read a book right away. Well, DH needed a few minutes to take off his boots, scarf, coat, etc. Pete was getting very impatient saying, "Sit! Dada, SIT!" Then he started to count up a warning, just like when we give him a three second warning to make right choice, "One. Twooooo. Threeeee. Sit!" We had a good laugh over the fact that he's using our own discipline strategy to boss us around!

24. Adira

@QueensBee: I probably could call my mom to have her come over... we'll see how Hubs is feeling tomorrow!

Glad you figured out what to do about the daycare gift situation!! And glad your director was understanding about the late notice and not being able to fully contribute what she was asking.

That is hysterical about Pete counting to 3!!! Too funny!! Xander is definitely also at that stage, but he tends to hit us when he doesn't get what he wants.

25. Adira

Hubs is on nap #2 for the day. Where's the eye-roll emoticon when you need it? I know he's sick, but seriously?

26. autumnlove

hostess / wonderful watermelon / 39513 posts

@Adira: Awww! My husband is a napper...

How do you guys trim your LO's nails? I've tried an elmo app, TV show, waiting til she is asleep and nothing works without force. LO 2 really hates it!

27. Adira

@autumnlove: Yep, force, you got it!! We just hold him while he screams and cut them! Nothing else works!! Sometimes he'll actually sit still for it, but most of the time, he's freaking out.

28. Adira

Hubs is currently putting Xander to bed, but I have to say, even though he (Hubs) took two naps today, it didn't feel as overwhelming as last Saturday did! Xander was actually pretty good about playing by himself or just sitting with me while I was nursing. Hopefully tomorrow goes as smoothly!

Also... I have no idea what they are doing at daycare, but Xander started kissing my feet today!! WTF??

29. Smurfette

@autumnlove: when she is watching Minnie. Sometimes it works and sometimes she fights it.

30. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@autumnlove: We avoid it at all costs! He seriously won't even let me look at his nails without a fight. The last time was a few months ago and I needed DH to hold him down while I raced through it.

@Adira: Glad that you guys had a good day! Awe, the feet kissing thing is pretty cute, lol! Sometimes I kiss Pete's toes while he's in his high chair and he gets a big kick out of it. Maybe they do something like that at daycare?

31. Adira

@QueensBee: haha, maybe! At one point, he was just standing in front of me, and I shouted "Grovel at my feet, servant!" and he immediately dropped down to his belly and started kissing my toes!!! It was hysterical, but also really bizarre, haha.

32. blackbird

@autumnlove: we used to have to hold her down while she screamed bloody nurser. The nail scissors helped. And now she can watch TV while we do them

33. Smurfette

@blackbird: I am so glad you told me about the scissors! I don't know how we would do it without them.
    @QueensBee: months? We have to do R's once a week, they grow so fast.

34. blackbird

@Smurfette: they're amazing, aren't they?! We've never cut E using them! We have to do them every two weeks

35. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: I am so tired. Luckily I had the last couple days off, but I am a bit nervous for next week as I start at a new company.

I'm almost thinking on my 1.5 weeks off over Christmas that we try not napping him. It is a scary thought, but if it gets us a good 12-13 hours at night it may be worth it.

@QueensBee: So cute that he is bossing you around. I mean it isn't really good, but it is funny to picture it.

@Adira: That sucks that he hits, Isaac madly stomps his feet and cries to get his way.

@autumnlove: I avoid nail trimming at all costs. It involves holding him down while he screams. Nothing seems to help, although he doesn't even like seeing us cut our nails, so I don't know what is going on there.

@Adira: Glad your day went good. I hope tomorrow is another good day. So cute that he is kissing your feet!

@blackbird: Nail scissors are a good idea, I'm going to have to try that.

Tonight when DH was giving Isaac a bath he was laying on his tummy and it looked like he was trying to swim. It was so adorable!

36. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Smurfette: Yes! I think the last time we cut them was early November? And his toenails grow super slowly too. I think we've only cut them twice ever? But they do need a trim right now...

@blackbird: We just started using the nail scissors recently too!

We finally had a successful haircut yesterday! The previous two attempts had been disasters and his hair was getting way too long. This time, I brought DH who was able to help distract Pete. It was also close to his nap time and I think he was too tired to put up a big fuss. I'm so happy he has a nice new haircut for the holidays!

37. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: Good to hear you got a good haircut. That is crazy how little you have to cut his nails. We do fingernails usually once a week and toenails almost never, even though they really need it.

Last night I put up the tree so we could all decorate it today. This morning Isaac kept calling it an apple tree. Then he was waving at it like crazy and saying bye tree. When it came time to decorate he would not go anywhere near it. Isaac stood a few feet away with the ornaments and passed them to us. DH tried lifting him up to put them up and I tried holding his hand but he would just freak. So I guess we don't really have to worry about him messing with it.

We had a pretty successful Santa trip. I had to crouch infront and hold Isaac on my lap and he actually did stop freaking out and smiled. I never thought to get DH to snap a pic, so all we have is the one print that we got.

38. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

We cut nails once a week here too. We've always used scissors though and there is no screaming involved but quite a few people have commented on how stoic he reacts to it and how uncommon that is.
    Please enlighten me though: What do you use if you don't use scissors to cut nails?

@Adira: how did Sunday go?

We've had a couple of quite good nights here. He did end up in our bed but not until 5 am. And I think that he might have even gone back to sleep in his crib but 5am seems to be an awful time for DH to get up so he just gets B out of his room and over to ours without really trying to get him back to sleep. That's ok for me though since he really has a ton of stuff on his plate currently and I am just very thankful for him stepping up so much for as long as I'm still supposed to lay low.

39. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: We use baby nail clippers. Glad to hear you had a couple better nights, hope he keeps it up for you.

This morning Isaac woke up at 5:45. I was so happy. He did wake up once around 3:15 but only for about 10 minutes. He asked for a drink of milk, so I gave him his cup and he had a couple sips. I really hope he will keep up with waking later, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

40. Adira

@QueensBee: Jealous you were able to cut Pete's hair! Xander's needs a trim, but he screams bloody murder every time I get the scissors out!

@ALV91711: He might warm up to the tree! Xander was freaked out by ours at first, but now he likes it. Though hopefully Isaac still won't mess with it! And yay for the successful trip to see Santa! I still want to do that, but not sure if we'll get to it this year.

@Pumuckl: We use baby nail clippers. I don't even know how to use nail scissors to cut nails! Though maybe I should try since it sounds like people have success with them.

Sunday wasn't as good as Saturday, but it definitely was better than last weekend! Xander acted out a few times, but not nearly as much as he did last weekend. He also seems to sometimes WANT to go into timeout... I don't get it. He would come over and hit me just so he'd be put in timeout! I told him he could go into timeout without hitting me if he wanted to!! And he kept putting his teddy bear in timeout, haha. He'd go "Timeout Teddy!" It was so funny.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee