Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Summer 2013 mamas chat thread.

1. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@Espion: Haha! Not for me either - I bounced on that exercise ball every night and A was still a week late!

2. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

Just wanted to wish all the summer mamas a Happy Thanksgiving! Yea for baby's first holiday season!

3. Boheme

papaya / 10473 posts

@tlcbaby: Happy Thanksgiving to you guys and Baby A! I can't wait to hear how he likes his first food

4. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@grizz: I keep almost giving in and giving him something to eat because I am so curious. DH has said so, as well. I am sure there will be plenty of pictures and videos of the big moment.

5. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

Target's Black Friday sale is already on. I was going to get A the B. Parum Drum and it is on sale for $19.99. They have a bunch of other fun baby toys, too!

http://www.target.com/sb/toys/-/N-5xtb0Z5zl3t#?lnk=L1L2_TOYS_1117_0_X0Y1_11_10_2013|X0Y1|T:Template B-DVM|C:3-Wide_Featured_Categories_with_Images&intc=1116060|null

6. Ra

honeydew / 7586 posts

@grizz: @tlcbaby: Happy Thanksgiving!! The season seems so much more magical with a LO to share it with!

7. Boheme

papaya / 10473 posts

@tlcbaby: Awesome! Thank you.

@rahlyrah: Happy Thanksgiving to you too! I know what you mean... The holidays are 10x more exciting to me this year

8. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@rahlyrah: I know! It is funny because I know he won't remember this Thanksgiving or Christmas, but it still feels so much more special. Like I get to be a kid again and relive everything through him.

9. jh524

pear / 1632 posts

Love that you all are still chatting! I feel like I'm so busy I never really get on Hellobee as much as I did when I was preggo. Hope all your lo are happy and healthy and have a great Thanksgiving with your families!

10. Ra

honeydew / 7586 posts

How are naps looking for you guys? Our naps are still typically 30 minute cat naps. Occasionally, I can get him to nap an hour or more but only when he sleeps on me. I keep reading that 2 out of 3 of his naps should be 90 minutes and we are nowhere close to that. Does anyone have any tips?

11. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

July 2014 mamas are already pregnant. I can't even believe it.

12. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@jh524: I feel like I am on here all the time, but I hate typing long responses on my phone so I do more reading than writing.

Our naps are usually about an hour with every once in a while close to two hours and he takes three a day. What happens when you lay him in the crib? We had about a week of a rough transition to the crib, but since then I can lay him right down and he fusses a bit and falls asleep.

13. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@rahlyrah: I'm afraid we suck at being diligent with naps. He gets, on average, two a day. If I'm home, I can usually recognize sleepy signs and I lay him down in the crib. Those are good 1.5 - 2 hour naps. Other times it's in daddy's arms or in the car. I know Weissbluth says I'm screwing my kid up by not laying him down at 9 AM, 1 PM and 4 PM on the dot, but he's (generally) an easy-going kid. It's just not a fight we choose to have right now. I'm sure it will bite us in the rear later, but I reassure myself in that he *does* nap, it's just variable where he is at the time.

Although, it would be nice to even out the 2 to 5 AM wake-up...

14. deerylou

pomegranate / 3003 posts

@rahlyrah: DD sleeps about 1-2 hours, 2-3 times a day. I definitely don't have any insider tips, as I let her begin her naps on me before I transfer her to the swing, bed, or bassinet. I also usually time our afternoon walk with a nap, so she'll have one snooze in the stroller or wrap carrier.

Some of my friends utilize black-out curtains, mobiles, and white noise, and they have helped prolong sleep time.

15. Revel

pear / 1563 posts

@rahlyrah: We're still going strong with the catnaps at just about six months. She does take most of them in the crib now, although maybe one a day in the stroller or carrier when me or my mom watch her. She's never lined up with the sleep recommendations but her pedi said not to worry about it so I try to relax. She said she may consolidate her naps when she crawls, which sounded SO far away at 8 weeks but is now not that far off, so we'll see!

16. Ra

honeydew / 7586 posts

@tlcbaby: If I lay him in his crib he usually screams. The only way I can get him to nap is if I bounce him to sleep. He will go down at night drowsy-but-awake with no problems. Daytime is a whole different ball game.

17. Foodnerd81

wonderful cherry / 21504 posts

@rahlyrah: our naps have not been great at all, though better than a few weeks ago. We started nap training yesterday and so far it's going well- all of two naps in. This morning she fussed for a few minutes ten slept for two hours in her crib! I'm afraid it was a fluke but we shall see.

For the last couple of weeks it's been 40-50 minute naps all day, with the afternoon ones hard to come by and involving holding her at the breast in a dark room the whole time, or walking her in the stroller. She's just four months.

18. Ra

honeydew / 7586 posts

@Foodnerd81: What method of nap training did you use? Is there a book I should be reading?

19. Foodnerd81

@rahlyrah: just saw this response. We were the same for a few weeks- nights she could put herself to sleep but day time she would work herself up. Now a week or two later so far it seems better, either because she has practice from night time or because she is older? Or I just got lucky and it's going to change again, who knows?

20. Foodnerd81

@rahlyrah: no books. I scoured the internet, thought about which book to get, then we just decided to go for it. Our plan is let her fuss for as long as it takes, or let her cry for five minutes before going in to sooth her. We actually haven't had to go in (again on a sample size of two naps). And we won't take her out of the crib before an hour, though if she fusses a while in the beginning then that's less than an hour of sleep. And as hard as it is for me, we are just using intuition about if we think giving it a few more minutes will help or not.

The thing for us is that when I was nursing to sleep, half te time she would wake on the transfer and it would make it harder for her to fall asleep, which I felt like was unfair to her. So I feel like its kinder to her to not let her get that snooze and make it harder on her.

Still nursing back to sleep in motn and won't stop that for a while. If she does wake when I put her down she can get herself back to sleep. So far.

21. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@rahlyrah: what I did to transition him to the crib was about a week of rocking him to almost asleep then lying him in the crib and staying in the room until he falls asleep. Then I would leave the room after I laid him down and eventually I could just lay him down and walk out. It was a process, though. There were a couple days where he didn't nap much at all because he just cried so I would get him up. But it is so much easier now.

22. Ra

honeydew / 7586 posts

@tlcbaby: Do you use blackout shades? His room is kind of bright. I wonder if I should get shades before I try to nap train?

23. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@rahlyrah: I don't and he seems to do fine. I just keep his blinds closed, but when it is sunny it is pretty bright. It might be worth trying, though-and white noise too if he is sensitive to sound.

24. Bookish

GOLD / cantaloupe / 6581 posts

Crap napper here as well! She takes 3-4 30 min naps at daycare, and at home 2-3 30-45 min naps (with the very rare 1+ hr nap smattered in there)

G is either sick or teething and it has been a nightmare the past few days. She's totally congested and snotty, no fever, but is sticking everything in her mouth and having trouble with the bottles. She won't go down to nap without a huge fight, and has woken up 1-2 times a night since Thanksgiving (she usually STTN). During the day she's crazy whiny and fussy, and nothing I'm doing seems to help.

I just needed to vent, but I'm having a rough few days

25. Foodnerd81

@rahlyrah: I use loud white noise (so you can hear it from outside the room with the door closed) and got cheap black out 'blinds' from home depot-- really they look like accordion folded black construction paper, supposed to be temporary but I plan to keep them there, behind her prettier curtains. So during the day the room is really dark. The problem with them is it's a pain to open them so we just never have any sunlight in her room.

26. Foodnerd81

@Bookish: Crappy sleep times just really, really suck. And they make everything suck, I feel like I don't even enjoy her happy times because I'm dreading the next nap or bed time. I'm sorry. At least you know as soon as you get used to one thing, she will switch it up on you. C has STTN once in the last 2 months or so. We are on a pretty regular 2 wake ups schedule

27. Pepper

pomelo / 5820 posts

We stink at naps here, too. He'll nap in the car when we are out, but at home he'll only nap in his swing. If I put him down for a nap in his crib or sidecar, he has to be swaddled and rocked to sleep. @rahlyrah: C also goes to bed easily, but yeah, naps are totally different. I'm grateful for a usually good nighttime sleeper, but some longer, consistent naps would help me so much.

28. Bookish

GOLD / cantaloupe / 6581 posts

@Foodnerd81: Ai, I'm so sorry That's so rough!! I feel very lucky that she used to STTN so well, but yeah, she does keep changing the game on me! I feel like I'm always two moves behind her!

29. Boheme

papaya / 10473 posts

We get about two 1.5 hour naps a day, and then one shorter nap, but it varies. He likes to be tricky!

30. Ra

honeydew / 7586 posts

We've made it 6 months (give or take)! Go us! I think it's about time for a check in.

Height/Weight:
    Milestones hit/working on:
    Favorite toys:
    Favorite foods:
    How is sleep going?
    What are you most looking forward to?

31. Ra

honeydew / 7586 posts

Height/Weight: I am raising a linebacker! B is 19.5 lbs (82%) and 28.5 inches (97%). It's getting hard to carry him for long periods of time!
    Milestones hit/working on: He is rolling both ways but still isn't rolling as a means to get a toy or make his way across the room. For the most part, he is happy laying on his back and playing. He can lift his upper body up well (during tummy time) but hasn't tried to get on all fours yet. We are working on sitting but he can only sit for really short periods of time without toppling over.
    Favorite toys: His jumparoo, a spatula, and his feet.
    Favorite foods: He enjoys sweet potato and squash but LOVES fruit. His faves seem to be peaches and mango. I made a batch of cinnamon applesauce tonight and can't wait to see how he likes it (if I don't eat it all myself first!)
    How is sleep going? Meh. Night sleep is ok. He went from STTN to two predictable night wakings. Our pedi said we should stop feeding him during these wakings so we are going to sleep train soon. Not looking forward to it.

Naps are still crap. He naps on me and usually only sleeps for 30 mins at a time. We ordered black out shades (should be in tomorrow) so we will be nap training soon, too. Bleh.
    What are you most looking forward to? I am sure I am going to regret saying this, but I can't wait until he's mobile! I am also looking forward to him STTN and napping in his crib.

32. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@rahlyrah:

Height/Weight: I don't know exactly yet! We'll find out on Thursday. I couldn't get his 6 month appointment any earlier.

Milestones hit/working on: He wants to crawl/be mobile SO BAD. He lays on his belly and kicks like crazy and reaches for the dog. He would be pretty content in life if he could just touch the dog whenever he wanted. He's rolling, but has been staying on his belly and kicking like mad to try and go forward.

Favorite toys: His jumparoo and Mortimer the Moose are still pretty big hits. Then again, our deprived little boy doesn't have that many toys. (That is, until Santa comes to town.)

Favorite foods: He never gets tired of mama, even though I've never had much to give him. Although, he's been tearing me up lately. (Booo.) I'm going to have to figure out when I'm going to stop nursing. Even though we're not exclusively breastfeeding (and even though it is still excruciating sometimes), I'm depressed at the thought.
    He really liked the peaches and pears, but I'm wondering if the solids are upsetting his stomach. He's been having some really crap sleep lately, and I wonder if it is due to the solids not sitting well with his tummy.

How is sleep going? See above. He usually will go down between 7 and 8:30 pm, depending on the last meal of the day. His one superpower is falling asleep pretty quickly, but the last two nights, he's woken up every 2 hours like clockwork. 6 month sleep regression or the solids. I have no idea.

What are you most looking forward to? Crawling. This kid is going to be into everything! I know it's "easier" now, but I'm going to love it when he's mobile.

33. Revel

pear / 1563 posts

@rahlyrah: Thanks for starting the updates! My LO is similarly most happy to just lay on her back and play with a toy. She gets so frustrated on her belly because she wants to crawl. I know that won't last too much longer!

@Espion: I've been suspicious that solids may be giving LO gas that wakes her up at night - not sure what to do other than just wait it out.

My LO is 6.5 months old!

Height/Weight: She was 26" and just under 15 lbs at her check up a few weeks ago.

Milestones hit/working on: She rolls easily now. She's only just starting to be able to sit a little bit unassisted, but she still topples over. She would love to crawl! She rocks and pounds her feet whenever she is on her belly, and gets frustrated. I think we are probably getting close to her getting on her hands and knees.

Favorite toys: Jumparoo, Sophie the Giraffe. We have some more interactive toys coming for the holidays - stackers, puzzles, etc., so I'm excited to see how she does with those.

Favorite foods: She's still only into solids some of the time. Sweet potatoes are the absolute favorite. She's also sometimes likes avocado and applesauce.

How is sleep going? Sleep is rough. She hit some kind of regression about a month ago and we haven't really recovered. She's always gotten up 2x per night but it's been at least three on up to like 5 or 6 almost every night for the last month. She's had a pretty bad cold this week but after that we are going to get back to trying No Cry Sleep Solution. She also still catnaps, although she has started to take more frequent long naps - like a few times a week - so maybe we are transitioning out of the short naps.

What are you most looking forward to? Sitting up, so she can play with some different toys, and talking. She's very verbal and I can tell she's really trying to figure language out these days.

34. Pepper

pomelo / 5820 posts

Height/Weight: I'm not sure about height, but he's 15.5 lbs as of the other night. He'll be 6 months on Christmas Day!

Milestones hit/working on: he can roll both directions, but he tends to favor rolling from tummy to back because my kid haaaates tummy time! He can sit in the tripod position for a few minutes before toppling over. Not consistent though, because sometimes he topples no matter what!

Favorite toys: the jumperoo. OMG my kid is a maniac when it comes to that thing. He'll jump for 30 minutes straight. When he's out of it and wants to be in it, he "jumps" on me when I'm holding him. He also still loves Sophie the Giraffe and his winkle.

Favorite foods: squash, green beans and sweet potatoes are his all time favorites. He'll eat anything, but he really gets excited for those! He's not a huge fruit fan... he prefers veggies.

How is sleep going? Like others have said... meh. I can't complain too much. He goes to bed easily. He's still in our room. Gets fussy around 1-2 am and then I move him into our bed (I know, I know). He'll sleep til 5 or 6, gets a bottle, then he'll go back to sleep til 9:30 or so.

What are you most looking forward to? Sitting unassisted! It'll make life so much easier for me! Bathtime will be easier, playtime will be easier... I can't wait

35. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

What a great idea!

Height/Weight: About 15lbs, 13oz and 26'' tall. He was 8lbs 9oz at birth so I was expecting a big chunker, but he is tall and skinny like his dad!

Milestones hit/working on: He is rolling both ways and can sit up unassisted for VERY short periods of time, like less than a minute. He pushes up pretty far when on his belly and kicks his legs a lot, but he doesn't seem to be anywhere close to putting all of those movements together.

Favorite toys: His exersaucer, Sophie, and his teething car keys. Pretty much anything he can chew on.

Favorite foods: Mama's milk! That is really all we've got going on right now. We've tried a couple of solids, but he doesn't seem too interested yet.

How is sleep going? Naps are great! He falls asleep easily on his own after a story time in his nursery and takes 2-3 naps a day between 1 and 2 hours each. I nurse him to sleep for the night around 6:30 or 7:30 and he typically wakes at 2 and 5 to eat. That was before we started teething, now he is all over the place and waking 3 or 4 times per night AND getting up earlier in the morning!

What are you most looking forward to? Definitely crawling. It has been fun to be more interactive with him and I know we'll be able to play even more once he is moving around. Plus I can't wait to see him chase the dogs!

36. Boheme

papaya / 10473 posts

Height/Weight: 27 inches long, but only 14 lbs 14 ounces

Milestones hit/working on: A little sitting, but not for long. Rolls a ton, gets up on his knees for short periods. A touch of shyness - people will smile at him or talk to him, and he'll giggle, then hide his face in my chest

Favorite toys: My hair, the dogs' hair, DH's hair. Water bottles. Books. Anything crinkly. He's so silly

Favorite foods: He haaaaates solids. So still EBF for now, and offering foods.

How is sleep going? Haha. Ha. Touchy subject.

What are you most looking forward to? Everything? He's at such a fun age!

37. tinypiglet

cherry / 184 posts

I have been so absent, ladies! Glad to have a quiz to get me back into posting!

Height/Weight: no idea; we haven't had an appointment since Halloween and won't have her 6 month appt until early Jan (about two weeks late). I can tell you that lately she's HEAVY. and still tall.

Milestones hit/working on: Rolling, rolling, rolling. And trying desperately to crawl! She pushes up on her feet but doesn't bend her knees. Or pulls herself forward with her arms. Girl will be able to do more pull ups than me shortly. Sitting only for a few moments at a time, but getting stronger by the day.

Favorite toys: Her activity mat and all her little friends - a Lamaze feel-me fish, Sophie, her plastic keys, her taggie blanket, and her newest friend, a Skip Hop owl. I haven't gotten an exersaucer or jumparoo for her yet, and I'm afraid I'm missing the window - what do you ladies think?

Favorite foods: We started solids on Thanksgiving with sweet potatoes, just after her 5 month birthday. She is enjoying everything so far - a peaches & bananas combo is probably her favorite though, with bananas at a close second. She's also had pears, peas, broccoli, apples, strawberries, and carrots. The green stuff got a lot of funny faces but she still ate it!

How is sleep going? Sleep was awesome for us from 7 weeks to about 5 months. She slept through the night almost exclusively, which was fabulous. She was sleeping 10-12 hours a night, basically. Then around 5 months (around the time we started solids...you all have me thinking a bit more now) she started waking up once or twice (or sometimes more) each night and eating a full feeding at each wakeup. I have no idea what that is all about - teething, solids, growth spurt, mental leap...all of the above? She's inconsistent with the wakeups, so I can't figure it out. And her naps are still a bear. She's been a catnapper (45 mins - 1 hr, 2x or if I'm lucky 3x a day) for a long while now. She also hasn't figured out how to just be put down in her crib for naps - she falls asleep on me or in her rock & play, or the car seat/stroller/carrier. Sooo...I'm hoping that day care will be able to figure out a good way to get her moving on that front. She starts day care in January when I go back to work. I am not looking forward to that. Any advice from those of you who have already made that transition? I just can't envision days where I'm not with her all the time!

What are you most looking forward to? Continuing to watch her little personality develop. She is such a cheerful, smiley, curious, joy-filled little girl, and I cannot wait to see what she does next.

38. Revel

pear / 1563 posts

@tinypiglet: Our LOs sleep sounds very similar. I was hoping that daycare would help but so far it hasn't - you may have a different experience. I went back at 12 weeks and everyone says this but it does get easier. There's just no way getting around those first few tough days. My advice would be not to over schedule yourself at that time - just keep it to work only - so that you can connect with baby when you're not at work. You'll do great!

39. Foodnerd81

Great idea on the updates! C is a little younger than most of yours-- she will be 5 months at the end of the year.

Height/Weight: She was just under 14 pounds at her last appt, a few weeks ago. I think 24.5 inches? She's a little peanut, which is surprising since she was over 8 pounds at birth, but growing steadily.
    Milestones hit/working on: She rolls onto her tummy in the crib almost every time we put her in there. For a while she would fuss or cry until we flipped her over, but now she is sleeping on her tummy and it seems to help her stay asleep a little longer. She won't do it in front of me while we are playing! And she seems to have forgotten how to roll from tummy to back and just gets stuck there. I think she will be happier once she can go both ways consistently. She needs support to sit but has been pull her head and shoulders forward to try.
    Favorite toys: A Baby Einstein music table-- it has legs for when she is pulling up to stand, but I just put it on the floor during tummy time and her eyes light up. She loves that thing. Sophie is her favorite to chew on and she still loves her friends in the play mat.
    Favorite foods: Breastmilk. We won't start solids until january.
    How is sleep going? OK. We sleep trained for falling asleep and she now falls asleep without much fuss for naps and bed time. Naps are getting better overall-- we still have the fluke short one, but usually we get 2 naps of at least an hour plus, then a shorter one in the evening. She's been asleep for more than 2 hours right now! Nights she is still waking up twice a nice. I'm really ready to cut at least one of those out, but she seems hungry and will eat for 15 minutes before relaxing into comfort nursing territory, so I'm not trying to cut them out yet. I hope she will drop them on her own, as she has gone 8+ hours at night on rare occasions lately.
    What are you most looking forward to? She is at such a wonderful, happy, phase right now! I'm looking forward to her rolling both ways because it will make her happier, and when she can move herself to the toys that she wants instead of me just deciding what she should play with. And I'm looking forward to starting with real food next month, even though it means my baby is growing up.

40. jh524

pear / 1632 posts

Hi moms!! Excited to see all your babies updates!!!

Height/Weight: well, I have a very big boy on my hands. Big boys run in the family but carrying one is a incredibly tiring. He's one week shy of 6months. Two weeks ago, he was 24.5 lbs. and 27 inches long. :o holy moly!!!! Lots of chubby rolls to kiss!! He's in a size 4 diaper and they are getting borderline too small. He's almost out of his 9month clothes and fits well in some 12 month Jammie's already!

Milestones hit/working on: he's just started saying MaMa four days ago and it's absolutely adorable. He's rolling both ways and sitting up. But yesterday he turned over in his crib in the early morning and started crying. Hopefully this is a short phase but from what I've read it's the start of him being mobile and exploring. Yay!! Just aware of SIDS and very cautious of him on his tummy in crib. He's starting to wiggle and move on the floor but doesn't lift his tummy yet.

Favorite toys: his mobile activity center, he's on the move and across the room chasing the dog and the cat.

Favorite foods: exclusivey bf

How is sleep going? Sleep has been great. He's been Sttn since 9weeks old. Now he's asleep from 7:30-7:30. Naps are often different day to day, but fairly good.

What are you most looking forward to? Crawling!!! What im not looking forward to: he may need surgery in a few months undescended testicle and hydro seal hernia. Praying a lot!

Merry Christmas and hope babys first Christmas is amazing for you and your families!!!!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee