Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Summer 2013 mamas chat thread.

1. swedishfish

GOLD / coconut / 8266 posts

R's baptism is tomorrow! She also will be two months old tomorrow...wow, time has flown by!

2. Bookish

GOLD / cantaloupe / 6581 posts

@Espion: daaayum woman. I bow down to you. I have yet to nurse anywhere but my house. I am super impressed!

@swedishfish: Yay! That's so awesome! Have a great day

3. Foodnerd81

wonderful cherry / 21504 posts

@Espion: could you explain to me how your nurse in the carrier, or point me to some source online? You are awesome!

We took C out to dinner tonight. It was probably too late but that's how the day went and we decided to chance it (walking distance from home, and we went out with my inlaws who are in town). C wasn't having the moby, so I ended up nursing her under the cover for pretty much the whole meal. Basically a human pacifier but it worked! Yes, I ate one handed, but baby was quiet and it only takes one hand for a glass of wine. Kind of prou of myself! But if I could do it in a carrier I'd be super woman.

@swedishfish: happy baptism tomorrow!! Hope everything goes well.

4. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@Bookish: It was all totally trial by fire. You'll do anything when you have to. (Which makes nursing sound like the Army...)

@Foodnerd81: I have the Ergo with infant insert. E is still a little bit (we're starting to get close to 10 pounds, and he'll be 3 months on the 6th), so I have to use the insert. Mainly, I just place the hip belt lower around my hips rather than my waist. Then I will shift the carrier right or left, depending on which side he's nursing from. When I put him in the carrier, I make sure he's basically at the level of the nip so neither one of us have to engage in any acrobatics to get the job done. Then I put the flip cover over and snap it into place. If I feel like I need extra coverage, then I use an A&A like a scarf.
    I will say that getting him latched takes a bit of privacy!

5. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@swedishfish: Congrats on the baptism tomorrow!

That reminds me of a conundrum...my MIL has a baptismal outfit that generations have worn, and she wants E to wear it for his baptism. The problem is that I'm not Catholic. And that's actually not necessarily a problem for me, because I'm quite religious, moreso than DH, and he wouldn't necessarily conform this family to strict Catholicism. But do they make you swear that you'll bring your child up in the Catholic Church? Because I obviously have zero experience with that. My feeling is that technically, I think E should make the choice, but I understand that it is an important ritual for Catholics.

6. swedishfish

@Espion: yes, if E is baptized that's promising you'll bring him up in the Catholic faith.

7. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@swedishfish: See, that seems like it would be a problem that I'm not Catholic... But my MIL keeps hinting at it.

8. Pepper

pomelo / 5820 posts

@swedishfish: Aww have fun today! We are getting C baptized next month

@Foodnerd81: @Espion: So great that you guys have nursed in public! I have yet to do that, and I hope when I do I don't fail and end up embarrassing myself, haha

C is 2 months old today and he gave me a great little "thanks for pushing me out 2 months ago" gift... He slept for 5.5 hours straight!! Woot woo!! Longest stretch yet! I hope he makes that a habit, the extra sleep really helps.

9. Foodnerd81

@Pepper: happy 2 month birthday and happy 5.5 hours of sleep! As far as nursing in public, I thought it was helpful to practice with the cover at home with just one friend over to get used to it. But mostly I figured everyone would rather I nurse her than have a whining crying baby at dinner.

I was nervous about sleep tonight bc we had C out at dinner and got home late (I became those parents I judged for having their babies out late!). But she went down super quickly last night and slept 5.5 hours too- her longest stretch yet! She was overstimulated between people coming over and then being out at dinner but it just tired her out I guess.

10. swedishfish

So, while I'm pumping before the madness that is today, R has lowered her feedings to six in a day instead of seven since last Tuesday when she turned 8 weeks old. She has also pushed her bedtime earlier to between 8-9. However, she now wakes up twice at night instead of once! She gets up between 12-1ish and 3-4ish. Ah! I need to get her back to one wake up or, even better, STTN! I haven't been very good at putting a sleep sack on her because it's been so hot in our house so that's definitely going on tonight to see if that helps. I miss our longer stretches of sleep!

11. Bookish

@Foodnerd81: @Pepper: @Espion: do y'all think your towns are nursing-friendly? One of the reasons I haven't tried yet is because I can't remember ever seeing a woman nursing in my city. Mind you, I wasn't always actively looking, but it does give me pause.

I really just need to buy a cover and try it. Screw the naysayers, right? Lol!

LO managed to take a few naps yesterday, which was great. She also managed to rip off her swaddle... Apparently not even Velcro can hold her now. it was funny, the whole top part was undone. Kid is two months going on two years...

12. swedishfish

@Bookish: I've only ever seen a woman nursing at the Magic Kingdom in Disney World. Be brave and do it!

13. Foodnerd81

@Bookish: I do think my town is nursing friendly. I can't recall seeing anyone nursing without a cover but I don't feel like people would be freaked out. My city definitely is into natural organic type things and I feel like bfing goes along with that. The cover did make it easier! Isis Parenting, a local store and class place, has webinairs online and they have one about nursing in public and ways to make it more comfortable for you. Worth looking for.

Eta: I think starting with nursing in a park or something would be easier than at a restaurant!

14. Bookish

@swedishfish: hehe. I'm just so not brave. I'll have to get over that

@Foodnerd81: thank you! I'll have to check those out! My town is very not crunchy.. We got some serious stares when DH babywore, which made me eyeroll big time. Oh, to live in a more enlightened city.... Lol! I'll check out those seminars. I think getting a cover would make me ok with it... I've just got such ridiculously big boobs right now that I don't know how to keep them under wraps lol!!

15. swedishfish

@Bookish: haha, I'm so not brave either. NIP will never happen because I'm a wuss!

16. Foodnerd81

@Bookish: I see baby wearing ALL the time. Very different cities. The hardest part was getting latched on under the cover, then it was easy. You could practice at home and see how it goes before venturing outside. I did start burping her at home. While people were over and realize I had a nip out but I don't think (or care if) anyone was looking!

17. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@Bookish: I think it is pretty nursing friendly up here. I've actually never seen so many men baby-wearing in my life! I can't recall as many nursing moms or baby-wearing in Philly or Atlanta.

18. Foodnerd81

I'm not one to complain about Dh on here. And in general he's doing pretty good in the parenting thing- when he is home he's great at soothing C and has been helping a lot more with household chore type stuff. We are ebfing so he can only feed her when I pump. But, he gets really antsy at home for too long and is frequently chomping at the bit to go out and do something like a bike ride, or play basketball, or go to the gym, or most often, go golfing. Going for a nice long walk with me and the baby won't cut it. I'm trying to be mindful of this and encourage him to go when we have had an easy day and I feel more rested, but I feel like its becoming me being the parent who says if he can go out and play or not. He says he understands and doesn't mind when I say no, but I don't want to *have* to say no. Plus he wants to golf on the weekends, which takes a minimum if five hours. He thinks if he goes early and gets back lunchtime it's not a big deal. But it's not like a 4 week old is all, hey it's Sunday, lets sleep in!
    Anyone else's Dh away not because he has to be but because he wants to go play? I have tried to explain but I can't get him to understand why I get so upset that he would even ask to go and be gone for half the day.
    Pity party over. Just needed to air it out and see if anyone else is having a similar issue.

19. Revel

pear / 1563 posts

Hey mamas, I'm late to the party but wanted to drop in on this thread if that's ok. I had my LO (girl) on June 1. She's just 12 weeks and is really fun now. I can't believe how much her demeanor has changed since the thick of the newborn days. Everyone was right when they say it gets better!

I go back to work this Wednesday, very much dreading the transition but hopefully it goes smoothly.

Regarding NIP, we have a few times and the main problem I have is LO doesn't really like it. She can't seem to fully relax and is so squirmy when she eats these days.

@Foodnerd81: I definitely understand where you're coming from, though it hasn't manifested for us as a desire to play golf. For us, it feels like more that he doesn't fully feel as invested in parenting yet, at least it seems that way to me. I think it's mostly related to feeding for us because we are ebf. I do notice it changing gradually as LO has spaced out her feedings and is very slightly less dependent on me, so I'm hopeful things will improve on their own.

20. Cherrybee

papaya / 10570 posts

@Foodnerd81: I feel you. my DH has a second job which he does get paid for but he really, really loves it and that's clearly why he does it. It was his hobby once upon a time.... He gets offered gigs and he can chose whether to take them or not. He was out all day yesterday, from 7am until 10.30pm because he accepted a gig (a local music festival), even though I'd specifically asked him not to. I was pretty upset about it all to be honest. It's the evenings I need him here for, really - that's when she's at her fussiest and I get really distressed when I can't comfort her. I wouldn't be cool with him going off to play golf right now, I don't think.

@Revel: Welcome!! It's great to hear that it gets better. It's hard to believe when you're in the thick of it!! Good luck with the transition back to work. It will be fine, I'm sure of it.

21. Bookish

@Revel: welcome!! I love that you are past the newborn stage and through the thick of it!! You give me hope! I know a lot of us are still really struggling with the fussiness/lack of sleep/etc. Good luck going back to work! Let us know how it goes

22. glimmersnaps

apricot / 491 posts

@foodnerd81 Yep I hear ya! I'm home alone right now with my 6 week old and 2.5 year old because DH is playing soccer. He would like to play 4 times a week but he's cut back a little since she was born. It's hard because I know he really loves it but at the same time it's hard on me. I think if you can ask him to pick certain days/times to go so that you know the schedule it will be a little easier. And have a system so that he's giving you a break that same day. But you should say something because you don't want to resent him in the long run.

Nursing in public gets easier as they get bigger. DD is nearly 12 lbs and she's pretty good at nursing in the carrier, but sometimes I have to take her out to get a good burp. Carriers are a good way to be discrete, otherwise you can use a scarf or something. Also, if you're at the mall, dressing rooms make a great little place for snacktime

23. Revel

pear / 1563 posts

@Cherrybee: @Bookish: It's crazy how much they change. I didn't believe people when they said how fast it passes and how much better it gets but it really does! I think I just had to experience it for myself though. We were just recalling the days when FI would come home and I'd be sitting there bouncing the crying baby on the ball unable to soothe her. Now, we've put the ball away because we hadn't used it in weeks. It took us forever to even notice though. I understand now how people say they forget how hard the early days are.

Thanks for the well wishes about work, I'll be sure to update.

24. Foodnerd81

@Revel: I spent two hours on the ball tonight. It's nice to think those days are numbered!

25. swedishfish

@Foodnerd81: my DH has been incredibly helpful and jumped right in with the parental responsibilities but he did go to an overnight bachelor party earlier this month when R was 6 weeks old. I let him make the choice about whether or not to sleep over and was very upset when he chose to. I say if your DH wants his play time then you should get yours too!

26. Revel

pear / 1563 posts

@Foodnerd81: So tiring! It was the only thing other than nursing that worked to calm her for a loooong time for us, so I I really do feel for you.

27. Foodnerd81

@swedishfish: the problem is my playtime is so much work- pumping, planning. I just want the help here. Meh.

@Revel: you know, I'm just glad we have something that always works, even if its tiring!

28. swedishfish

@Revel: @Foodnerd81: but bouncing on the exercise ball is such a great workout!

R's baptism was awesome! The cake was amazing and people were so generous. There were only two other babies being baptized so the ceremony was short. R had a bottle in her mouth for most of the ceremony so she stayed nice and quiet.

29. Foodnerd81

How's everyone doing? Hope all these babies are being kind to their mommies.

My little C has decided she will only wake up once during the night, which is nice, but that she is up for the day between five and six, which is less nice. The plus side of that is that I can usually get two naps out of her since she'll take a morning one around nine or so and then again after lunch. I keep trying to follow EASY and get her down about two hours after wake up but she laughs at my efforts. Apparently she didn't read that book! I also caught what may have been her first smile in a photo! Or, she was moving her mouth and I caught the moment it looked like a smile, whatever.

I hope everyone is doing ok.

@Cherrybee: how are you doing? How is E doing with that new formula? Hope things are a little better

30. Foodnerd81

Oh- and last night I went out without the baby for the first time! Just two hours for book club a mile away but it was nice to just hang out and not worry about her. I even had two whole glasses of wine (and felt pretty buzzed!).

31. bisous

persimmon / 1304 posts

I haven't posted to this board in a bit since we were dealing with a Wonder Week and growth spurt last week and I had started working from home. It was craziness! S sleeps well but she was a bear to get down last week. And luckily I was home Thursday and Friday because she was basically on my boob all day long. She is a very alert and playful baby now at 13 weeks, but last week she would not even sit in her bouncer or stand tummy time without screaming. Thank goodness it only last a few days and she is back to her old self now. Phew!

Now I am back to working in the office! Today is my third day and I'm happy to say it's going really well so far. Definitely exhausting, but I am finding ways to make the routine a little better for all of us each day. I think being a WOHM is going to give new meaning to the phrase "working for the weekend!"

32. Revel

pear / 1563 posts

@Foodnerd81: @bisous: I'm back in the office for the first day today. Feeling rough but reminding myself that the first day will be the worst. She's at daycare today and then will be with our mom's Thurs/Friday so not a bad transition. The hardest thing so far is not getting choked up when people ask about her at work! I hope that gets easier.

Bisous, glad that you are feeling positive about the transition, I hope to get there myself!

33. Foodnerd81

@Revel: I'm sure the first day is always the worst!! It's only going to get easier.

@bisous: glad the transition is going well! What not such fine timing that most people have to go back at 12 weeks, which happens to be a wonder week!

34. Bookish

@Foodnerd81: glad you had some time out without baby!!

@bisous: good to hear getting back to work is going well. Sounds like a heck of a wonder week!

@Revel: how you doing after your first day back?

We're doing pretty good over here. She's one hungry bug, and growing accordingly. We've only got a few days left at home together, so I'm spoiling her as much as possible.

I tried out my hands free pumping bra today and I loved it! Other than looking ridiculous, it worked so well and I got 7oz!!! That's the most I've ever pumped. Yay boobies!

Saturday DH and I are going to have a date night at a local concert. What's everybody doing for labor day? Anything fun?

35. Revel

pear / 1563 posts

@Foodnerd81: @Bookish: Thanks for checking in ladies. First day was really hard. It was toughest in the morning, and tough when people asked about her and how she's doing - I was definitely choked up. But, we got through it and I raced home to pick her up and she was fine! She didn't really nap at daycare but she ate her bottles and had diapers and didn't seem any worse for wear. She nursed just fine and slept pretty normally last night. Today is WAY easier, due in part to the fact that my mom is with her on Thursdays.

What surprised me as being really tough is just not knowing what she's up to. With my mom I can get regular updates, but with daycare I didn't want to call 10 times a day. It's an in home place so we don't get a sheet with her activities or anything formal at the end of the day. I was so thrilled to pick her up that the details are blur to me now, but I'll have to remember next week to ask what she does all day.

Pumping went OK. I pumped enough for today, just barely. But I made it. I'm hoping my body will get used to pumping at these hours and produce a little more. It was hard to remember to do it actually!

Bookish, I love the hands free bra! I've never gotten 7 oz, but it is key to pumping at work for sure.

36. swedishfish

@Bookish: wow, 7 oz is great! I washed my hands free bra yesterday and it was still a little wet this morning so I tried to pump without it. I have no idea how people do that. I'm pumping in a slightly damp bra, haha!

@Revel: @bisous: oh, I'm glad going back to work has been alright for you both. I go back next Tuesday and I am not ready.

37. Bookish

@Revel: aww glad it went ok. I'm probably going to have to set myself reminder alarms to remember to pump! I'm curious, had you practiced with the bottles before hand? Our LO takes a bottle in the morning but hasn't really done them for a whole day...I'm wondering if I should try it this weekend, or if she'll be fine as long as I'm not around.

@swedishfish: lol!! I can't believe I debated not getting one. It looks like it's going to be worth it's weight in liquid gold, haha! I go back on Tuesday too. I went by her daycare today to drop off supplies, and the babies looked so happy....but still!! I'm just a worrywart...and I'm going to miss her!

38. Revel

pear / 1563 posts

@Bookish: She had taken bottles before without a problem but we hadn't done a test run for the 8+ hour separation. I was unwilling to give up a day of nursing, and preferred to send extra milk.

She ended up taking three 3.5 oz bottles. I sent a fourth bottle, plus some frozen milk for the daycare freezer just in case. I'd like for her to be doing three bottles so maybe I got it right the first time or it may take some trial and error over the next few days. I plan to provide a fourth bottle every day for at least the first week or so.

39. swedishfish

@Bookish: I can't even think about leaving R without starting to cry.

40. Bookish

Well, my sweet, easy baby has been replaced with her evil twin. The last two days have been horrendous, and I just need to vent a bit. She's always kinda sucked at napping, but would sleep with only minimal fuss. Now she screams. Full on hysterical crying if she gets tired, and the only way to get her to stop is to feed her or push her around in the stroller. I did both for hours.

I'm so freaking tired, and I hate, hate hearing her get hysterical. I'm not good at handling it.

I need a beer and a beach somewhere....

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee