I will be 40 next month. My husband is 41. We have a 3yo and would like a second child. We've been trying for a little over a year and had exactly one bfp which resulted in a miscarriage last winter. We have had all the standard infertility tests run, and our diagnosis is simply unexplained infertility. Ugh.

We are about to attempt a second cycle of Clomid + IUI, but honestly I am sort of expecting it to fail just like the last one did. If it does fail, I think we will either quit or try one round of IVF because our clinic severely discounts the first round.

But I don't know if I have it in me to deal with IVF. I have a consult scheduled with my doctor to discuss the details. It is so much work and so much money, even discounted. I was really bummed that the first IUI cycle failed, and I'm sure the stress and potential disappointment are much much greater with IVF.

I am torn between giving it a shot versus just stopping treatment.

Has anyone faced a similar decision? What did you decide?