Login/Register

Kindergarten Fall 2019

1. beckysue

cherry / 186 posts

I just registered my daughter today

1) Child's name/initial: Ivy
    2) Birth month: August
    3) Type of school: public, private, charter, whatever: Public
    4) What method of transportation? Bus (I am a bit nervous about this but we will see how it goes.)
    5) Is this your first to go to K or are you a seasoned pro? My 1st and only

The cutoff here is September so Ivy will be one of the youngest in her class. I really think she is ready though. Not so sure I am

2. PinkElephant

grapefruit / 4584 posts

1) Child's name/initial- I
    2) Birth month- May (Our cutoff is October 1)
    3) Type of school: public, private, charter, whatever- public
    4) What method of transportation? - bus but may drive her depending on what our assigned bus pick-up time is - I'll be driving her second grade sister to a different school and her preschool sister to either the same school or a third school (!!)
    5) Is this your first to go to K or are you a seasoned pro?- my second

I is super excited - she actually did a year of preschool in the building (PK3 - 1st grades) where she'll attend K, and is there all the time with me for her big sister's events...so she feels very comfortable, and is already BFFs with the principal and teachers there. I think it will be a fun year; my biggest concern is dealing with the logistics of my three girls being (most likely) in three separate schools for the next two years!

3. tequiero21

honeydew / 7968 posts

1) jl
    2) August
    3) Type of school: public
    4) What method of transportation? Car
    5) Is this your first to go to K or are you a seasoned pro? Third

4. bubblegum

pear / 1717 posts

Wahhhhhh

1) Child's name/initial: M
    2) Birth month: May
    3) Type of school: public, private, charter, whatever: private
    4) What method of transportation? He’ll come in with me (upper grade teacher at school)
    5) Is this your first to go to K or are you a seasoned pro? My first baby to go to K 😩

5. Foodnerd81

wonderful cherry / 21504 posts

Does everyone do full day or half day for kindergarten? In my town you are guaranteed half day, no cost (aside from taxes) or you can pay extra for full day. Most kids/ families do full day, and we are for C, but there is usually one class that does half day too.

6. jhd

coconut / 8079 posts

@Foodnerd81: we only have full day here.

7. magnolia

persimmon / 1168 posts

@graceandjoy: I figure they can always repeat K if they really aren’t ready. I work in a school where this is common especially for the younger ones. We are also looking at intensive K program where he would basically do K twice but it’s really only at a few schools.

8. graceandjoy

pear / 1565 posts

Full day I think 9:20-3:20 or something like that.

@magnolia: I don’t know the requirements for repeating but in the case that she really is not doing well I’d sure be fighting for that! But knowing her and also talking to her preschool/pre-K teacher, we are confident she is ready in all aspects.

9. Tanjowen

nectarine / 2521 posts

@Foodnerd81: Ours is a full day. 8 am-2:30 pm. I know one private option we looked at offered half days but public does not in our area.

10. Foodnerd81

Oh yeah- I’m not actually sure of our exact hours, but the bus picks up in my neighborhood at 7:50, drops off at 3:15.

11. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

Full day. School is from 8:00-2:10, but the bus pick up is 6:55 sharp (and it could could change next year), and she does 4 after school activities for an extra hour every day at school. Activities end at 3:10 and she’s usually home by about 4:00, but it depends on traffic. So it’s a very long day.

12. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

1) Child's name - Declan
    2) Birth month- November. The cutoff is 9/1 so he’ll be one of the oldest ones.
    3) Type of school - public
    4) What method of transportation? - We’ll drop him off at our daycare (where DD will still be going to) and he’ll get the bus there, then he’ll get dropped back off there in the afternoon.
    5)Is this your first to go to K or are you a seasoned pro - this is my first.

@Foodnerd81: We think we’ll have full day. They put it in the budget and it has to get approved at the town meeting in May. In previous years it was free for half day and paid for full day. But the budget item is a drop in the bucket and the town has to approve or reject the entire budget wholesale. So most people expect it to be passed. It’ll save us almost $4k, so that’ll be awesome.

13. Foodnerd81

@ShootingStar: nice. I think our town is moving towards all full day- year after year demand for full grows and fewer families choose half day. But then they loose the money we all pay for it and need another classroom and teacher (you can have one teacher and room for an AM and a PM class vs needing two of each for two full day classes).

14. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@Foodnerd81: Yeah i think we need an additional 1.5 teachers. But we have the space already. And you lose the tuition money but you do get more from the state for full time students, which goes a long way towards paying for itself. I forget what else needs to get paid for, but it’s $100k of a $20m budget.

15. bees_knees

persimmon / 1064 posts

Our district is unique (I touched on this already) in that we have both a half day K AND a full day K program. You must do the full day K before moving to 1st grade. Children born March 1-Sept 15 have the option of doing the half day K, then full day the following year, then first grade.

Seems bizarre to me. My boy is a March baby, and we will get him assessed to see what they recommend, but I'm leaning towards the half day program. The only downside I can see is that it might make him one of the oldest in his class....and is that a negative? (If we ever move, he would be almost a year older than his class.)

16. Mrs. Cereal

blogger / kiwi / 626 posts

1) A
    2) January birthday so she’ll be right in the middle as far as age goes. Cut off is September 1st.
    3) Public school, still not sure which one.
    4) She will start out with one of us driving her but I know she really wants to ride the bus, so we’ll probably transition to that.
    5) She’s my first!

I’m excited and scared for her. She’s extremely social so that part will probably be fine, but she’s also pretty energetic and easily distracted. I’m hoping that the more structured regimen for kindy will help her settle into a routine. She is beyond excited to go.

17. ChitownRo

clementine / 948 posts

1) Child's name - Ollie
    2) Birth month- November. The cutoff is 9/1 so he’ll be on the older side
    3) Type of school - public
    4) What method of transportation- It’s luckily just a two block walk for us. So unless it’s truly horrible weather, we will walk. The car drop off line is no-joke.
    5)Is this your first to go to K or are you a seasoned pro - Our first little is growing up so quickly!!

18. PinkElephant

grapefruit / 4584 posts

@Foodnerd81: we only have half day, but there’s a wrap enrichment program that will either pick them up from or drop them off at school (walking distance) depending on if they are AM/PM kindergarten. We will do that three days per week.

@bees_knees: After having a child who was on the young end for K, I see zero harm in having an oldest kid, unless he’s already way ahead academically and you think he’s the type who will get bored/act out. Even if he’s ahead, most schools have ways to deal with that - gifted programs, special reading/math programs, etc. I think the worst case scenario of eventually skipping ahead a grade is much better than the worst case scenario on the other side of things (potentially deciding to hold back later). Being the youngest and possibly struggling a bit (or just bring later to do things) has been hard on my oldest’s self esteem. I know it’s cliche, but an extra year of growth doesn’t hurt for sports, either!

19. Foodnerd81

@PinkElephant: that assessment on oldest/ youngest is what it came down to with us. The potential downside of sending her on time and her not being ready seemed fair worse than the potential downsides to holding her and having her be bored. But I also think she was a pretty clear case of a kid who needed the extra year. I’m glad my second is a December baby with a September 1 cut off, so she will be towards the older end of the middle of the pack.

20. bees_knees

persimmon / 1064 posts

@PinkElephant: @Foodnerd81: You guys are so right. The potential negatives of sending him on time far outweigh the potential negatives of waiting a year. Plus, I'd LOVE to give him one extra year of just being a kid, ya know?! I think he would truly do ok if we sent him this fall, but we are def leaning towards doing half day (pre-k)!

21. Jruess

grape / 80 posts

1) O
    2) August 1 birthday (cut-off is July 31) so she will be one of the oldest
    3) charter school
    4) we will primarily drive but can walk or ride bikes on nice days
    5) my first!

I’m a bit nervous for her to go back after being home with me this past year. She attended preschool at the charter school the previous school year. We decided to keep her home this school year as I transitioned to a SAHM after having our third and wanted her to get more time at home. I truly believe that play is so important at this age so I’m glad we had the chance to keep her home and allow for open ended play. Luckily her school offers a summer camp which should help her transition back to a classroom setting.

22. babycanuck

pomegranate / 3105 posts

1) Child's name/initial: Luke
    2) Birth month: October
    3) Type of school: public
    4) What method of transportation? we will walk to school, after school care then walk home
    5) Is this your first to go to K or are you a seasoned pro? first

We have "Junior Kindergarten" here which starts the year kids turn 4, Luke will be 3 when he starts so definitely one of the younger ones.

I'm having anxiety about it. We absolutely love his current daycare provider which is also located in another school, so he's used to the "environment" and the fire drills, etc. The after school program is run by another provider and my first impression wasn't good in terms of they were really pushy. I need to give them the benefit of the doubt though; he will only be in there 1.5 hours a day after class is done.

I can't believe my baby is starting school. JK is elective, you can hold your kids back and start in senior kindergarten when they are turning 5 but I feel like why hold him back? Daycare throughout the summer will wean the kids off mid-day naps so they are more prepped for no naps in school.

23. Cardiganmom

apple seed / 1 posts

1) Child's name/initial: S
    2) Birth month: October
    3) Type of school: Public
    4) What method of transportation? Walk or drive depending on the weather.
    5) Is this your first to go to K or are you a seasoned pro? First 😢

With an end of December cutoff S will be one of the younger ones. We thought about homeschooling but we'll see how she does. She's very excited for school but keeps insisting that I'm going to be in the class with her.

24. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

1) Child's name/initial Chase
    2) Birth month August
    3) Type of school: public, private, charter, whatever. We aren’t sure yet.
    4) What method of transportation? Parent to drive
    5) Is this your first to go to K or are you a seasoned pro? My oldest will be going into Third. They will go to school together. Just debating the public school where she is now versus the new charter (classical model)

25. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@Foodnerd81: ours is full day. About 8:30-3.

The state offers free preK to all four year olds that’s only three hours a day.

26. Mrs. Milk

blogger / apricot / 310 posts

hi all! thanks to @graceandjoy for pointing this thread out to me!

1) William
    2) August
    3) Public elementary school
    4) Will be dropped off and picked up at the on-site before/after school child care each day!
    5) This is our first! Kinder orientation is literally this Wednesday and I'm excited and nervous right alongside our little guy.

I have lots of the same thoughts as others with summer kiddos - our cutoff is September 30th, and we're choosing to send him because he seems ready, the district timeline aligns, and childcare is EXPENSIVE. Ha!

Wondering if anyone else has done their orientation, and had any good questions they'd suggest asking?

27. graceandjoy

pear / 1565 posts

@Mrs. Milk: Hey hey!

Our orientation isn't till May!

28. Foodnerd81

@Mrs. Milk: we had an info session back in NOVEMBER. But they did everything early because they are working out logistics with the full day / half day thing and trying to make sure everyone who requested full day could get it. C has been signed up since January. I heard they also did it so early to make sure the people who already live here get the full day and people who move to town after the registration dates take what is left (likely half day spots since that’s all we are guaranteed here). It’s weird.

But I can’t think of any great questions because they have the orientation down pat and answered most questions in the presentation. In your case I’d prob have questions about before and after care though, like is it grouped by ages? At the same school or bussed to a different location? (My friend’s daughter goes to a different location for after care because there aren’t enough kids in her school).

29. nana87

cantaloupe / 6171 posts

I've been avoiding joining this thread bc our plans aren't set in stone--I might get a job that means we move out of our current city--but we also need to decide in the next couple weeks about schools since we probably are staying put for the next year, so I'm joining and would love any advice about how to make a decision

1) Child's name/initial: R
    2) Birth month: April, she just turned 5 last week
    3) Type of school: public, private, charter, whatever THIS is where I don't know! We've put down a deposit for an amazing private school that's attached to the daycare where she has been since she was 6 months (plus where lo2 is now). I love everything about it and the community...but we also just found out that she was accepted into a lottery-based public school that shares the pedagogy of the private one...It doesn't have all the resources of our private school, but is public so free....Huge decision we need to make asap and I don't know how to think about it.
    4) What method of transportation? The private school commute (which we do now) is public transportation or dh drives; the public school is about 3 blocks walk (though lo2 will still be at the private school's daycare...)
    5) Is this your first to go to K or are you a seasoned pro? First!

Everything is so up in the air with my work, and the public and private schools in our city work on different timelines so it's just a dragged out, impossible process....

30. graceandjoy

pear / 1565 posts

@nana87: Hmm my first thought was, since you might move, maybe it's just cheaper to send her to public if it should be almost as good as private? Also who would walk her to public? If it's a giant hassle that she is going to a different school, I'd be tempted to keep her...

31. Foodnerd81

@graceandjoy: is there any chance or likelihood that you will move mid school year? Also if you stay, what are the odds you would get into the public school again? If you pass up the spot now then decide to stay, you likely won’t get it the next year right? But maybe you are happy with staying in the private long term? That is a tough choice! I can see why it’s been hard.

32. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

@Mrs. Milk: We just got the orientation invitation and it's for a day when I'll be out of town. Now I feel like I need to write down every question imaginable to make sure DH absorbs all the information necessary.

33. magnolia

persimmon / 1168 posts

Updating because my son got accepted to the (intensive) kindergarten program we were hoping for today! I’m so happy. Waiting for our orientation date now....

34. graceandjoy

pear / 1565 posts

@magnolia: Yay! Congrats!

35. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

@magnolia: Yay! That's great

36. Mrs. Snowflake

blogger / cherry / 138 posts

1) Child's name/initial: Snowy
    2) Birth month: January
    3) Type of school: public, private, charter, whatever: Public
    4) What method of transportation? Either drop off and then aftercare or bus and aftercare, haven't decided yet!
    5) Is this your first to go to K or are you a seasoned pro? First and only!

37. graceandjoy

pear / 1565 posts

@Mrs. Snowflake: Hi! So glad to see you made it over here! Excited to have a few bloggers that are sending their LO to K too!

38. PurplePeony

pomegranate / 3113 posts

We found out yesterday that DD got assigned to the school we asked for rather than our zoned school. I’m glad, but keeping my fingers crossed that this was the right choice. She’s excited because she will be at the same school as her best friend, so that’s good. Unfortunately, we’re going to be out of town when they do the first “meet and greet” event for incoming kindergarteners, so I’m hoping they do more over the summer.

39. MrsBeluga

apricot / 442 posts

Joining!

1) Lulu
    2) January
    3) Charter, unless our public school test scores improve - there’s about a 10% difference. That and I can’t get my spirited kid into uniforms soon enough.
    4) Drop off and bus home
    5) She’s our first to go to K!

We have kinder orientation next week from 1-3, it involves snack in the cafeteria, arts/craft in a kinder classroom lead by a kinder teacher, and recess. My daughter is excited and nervous!!

40. Foodnerd81

@MrsBeluga: oh I would be pretty happy wth uniforms to cut back on the morning discussions about what to wear. Even when we pick out clothes the night before my 5 year old usually changes her mind in the morning.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee