Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Kindergarten Fall 2019

1. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

I had this realization this morning that it is absolutely crazy that my almost 5 year old is in a 5 pt harness in my car but will soon be going on a bus that has no seat belts at all! Some districts near me have started adding seatbelts to buses, but mine unfortunately is not one of them

2. graceandjoy

pear / 1565 posts

@MrsBeluga: I grew up wearing uniforms and looking back it was the best and easiest! I too can deal without drama surround outfits in the morning

@JennyPenny: Ugh! That is crazy to me as well. A big reason why we decided to just drive her since it's feasible for us. How do they not have any seatbelts?!

3. magnolia

persimmon / 1168 posts

@JennyPenny: that is totally crazy. My son is in a car seat on his preK yellow bus. I need to find out what the seating is on the kindergarten buses. He’s only 36 lbs.

4. Foodnerd81

wonderful cherry / 21504 posts

@JennyPenny: I’ve mostly made peace with the bus thing. No seatbelts I don’t think but the kindergarteners sit in the front rows. The school is only a few miles away through town on roads that max out at 35 mph. They say buses are safer just because they are so big. So I’m ok with it and she’s so excited to ride it with our neighbors.

5. imadreamer

cherry / 108 posts

We have our kindergarten orientation in a few weeks! I’m so excited for my daughter to visit the school!

We also recently purchased high back booster seats and she is so proud to be in a booster.

6. graceandjoy

pear / 1565 posts

@imadreamer: We have ours next week... So crazy! Will report back! And we have a FB group for all the incoming kids and we've planned a playdate! Then pre-k graduation is in June. I am freaking out!

7. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

@imadreamer: We just had ours this week! DH went since I was out of town. We've got a big handout with all the information. I've seen it all online before so I don't feel like I missed anything. I do wish I'd been there to meet other rising K parents. @graceandjoy: I love that you have a playdate set up, maybe I'll give that a try.

8. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

I missed the previous bus discussion. We live in a developing country where there are literally no child restraint laws. The school bus is actually an 8-person passenger van so it does have seatbelts, thankfully, and the kids are required to use them. But because the culture is so lax here, I’m not sure if the belts are always used properly. There is an adult monitor in the bus (in addition to the driver), and the monitor is supposed to enforce safety protocols. We don’t really have any other options to get to school though because I don’t drive and the only other option would be a taxi (no seatbelt guarantee).

9. imadreamer

cherry / 108 posts

@graceandjoy: that’s awesome that you guys are able to coordinate a play date! Our pre-K graduation is the first week of June as well. Can’t get over how time flies by!

@jennypenny - we had an orientation a few months ago where we received a ton of handouts and had to register. I could have skipped that as well since all the info was online.

10. nana87

cantaloupe / 6171 posts

We finally made a decision about which k! We’re going to stay at the private school where lo1 has been since she was 6 months and where lo2 is in daycare too. We have a new-parent cocktail party this week and then next week a pizza party for the kids the week after, which will be fun for lo1!

11. graceandjoy

pear / 1565 posts

@nana87: Glad that you made a decision!

We had orientation last week, it was so surreal! DD came with also; they went to a classroom to play and for a storytime. She was nervous leaving with random people in a new place, but I was proud of her for sticking through it and she was happy coming back!

Next for us is the screening next month and then pre-k graduation!

12. SupernovaJ

persimmon / 1141 posts

Jumping in! I feel super behind not even thinking about Kinder coming up in just a few short months.

1) Child's name/initial: J
    2) Birth month: April
    3) Type of school: public, private, charter, whatever: Public
    4) What method of transportation? Not sure yet
    5) Is this your first to go to K or are you a seasoned pro? First time

We have a lot going on at the moment, baby #3 is due in three weeks, we are also closing on a new house in a brand new town a week before due date, lol. That being said, we haven't thoroughly toured the new elementary school and our LO isn't even registered but we won't be able to do that till we close on the house and have the proper documentation. It's nuts to think my firstborn will be riding the bus! I don't even know what time the bus comes for pick up, or if we will do a combo of drop off in the mornings with bus on other days. DH and I both work FT and the logistics of everything is giving me slight anxiety. We are excited for our LO to start "real" school, although I know I'll be in tears when the time comes. She went to an excellent private pre-K and we feel great about the new elementary school in our district yet it feels like such a huge transition and I do feel somewhat unprepared.

I believe the school is open all summer for parents to drop in for registration. On another note, is anyone considering or doing ASP - after school program? Growing up, we had "grandma-care" after school at 2:30 PM so I never attended ASP, but recall at the time feeling quite jealous of kids in ASP as it seemed like a fun playdate / gathering everyday after school. But now that I'm the parent having to consider it, I don't even know how it all works out. I'm sure it's different in each town with the hours, how structured it is, and what it might cost per week or month but if anyone has info on their school's program, please share! We are still figuring out child care for after school so may/may not need to enroll but curious.

13. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

@SupernovaJ: welcome! What a busy summer you have! We’ll be doing after school care. We found that it was different at every school we visited. Some were organized by 3rd parties like the ymca, others were run by teachers. Big range in costs too. At our school after care will be run by teachers and costs 140 per month. They do structured activities but also will have time for homework too.

14. jhd

coconut / 8079 posts

Bumping! Anyone starting school soon? We have Open House/Meet the Teacher this week and LO goes 2 days next week. They stagger the Kindergartners during the first week so one day he is just with a small group of classmates. Then they all come together on Friday.

15. graceandjoy

pear / 1565 posts

@jhd: So exciting!

We start 9/4! We've had orientation, screening and a "parent tea" thing coming up. We haven't made it to another kindergarten meet up play date; but I have since connected and chatted with a couple more parents!

16. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

@jhd: So soon! We have a meet the teacher 8/23 then staggered entry the last week of August and full time start Sep 3. I had all these grand plans about getting ready for Kindergarten but life has decided to make this the most ridiculously stressful summer so none of that has happened. I just hope things can calm down in the next month or so...

17. graceandjoy

pear / 1565 posts

@JennyPenny: What were/are your plans? I have done nothing to prepare for kinder! I ordered the school supplies from the PTA so I don't have to think about it, bought her backpack/lunchbox, planning on ordering more labels.... What else!

18. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

@graceandjoy: I wanted to organize some playdates in my neighborhood since we don't know any neighbor kids. I also wanted to try and drive by the school a few times and let him wander/explore a bit.

19. nana87

cantaloupe / 6171 posts

oh wow, I can't believe some kiddos are starting so soon! there were a couple new-family events in May, but nothing else until we start after Labor Day. we just have our pre-k graduation tomorrow and last day is next week, so my brain isn't there yet! we haven't even gotten a supply list yet, though I've snagged a new lunch box, back pack, water bottle, and labels from sales in anticipation. we don't get our class list until the end of august and I want it now! lo has a bunch of friends from daycare going to the same school but there are 3 kinder classrooms, so crossing my fingers that she'll have at least a couple familiar faces with her...

20. graceandjoy

pear / 1565 posts

@JennyPenny: Plenty of time for that! We've gone to our school often for the playground since it's walkable distance!

21. yin

honeydew / 7917 posts

Received our teacher assignment letter this week, and LO is starting school on 8/26. We will visit the classroom the Friday before. So close!

22. PurplePeony

pomegranate / 3113 posts

Has anyone else’s kid been acting up lately? DD has been a bit of a terror and I think it’s a combination of DH having been away for work most of the summer and anxiety over starting K. Several of her daycare friends have already had their last day and she’s pretty bummed about that. I know it’s a lot of upheaval and I’m trying hard to be understand, but man, she’s making it hard.

23. graceandjoy

pear / 1565 posts

@yin: Oo, I wonder when we're getting that! Then I can start to ask around to see who else is in the class! I also wonder if we'll get to visit the classroom!

@PurplePeony: Aww, the struggle is real! My girl is a sensitive one/not super social so I def worry how she'll be when we actually start kindergarten...

24. Foodnerd81

wonderful cherry / 21504 posts

We got the class/ teacher assignments back in June and did a transition day where they go into their classroom, meet the teacher and other kids. Then C also went to a camp at the elementary school last week. She is super excited so far and hasn’t voiced too many concerns (and she’s generally pretty anxious). I’m sure she will when it gets closer.

The have a bus orientation late August, then K screening with her teacher right before Labor Day, and she starts the day after Labor Day. We are both very excited.

25. Hypatia

kiwi / 500 posts

Homeschooler with a five year old here! We were going to start Monday, but DD saw the butterfly craft we’ll be doing and begged to start tomorrow. It’s a little backwards—the plan was for her learn about butterflies all week and then do the craft, but at least she’s excited?

So, this week is all about minibeasts!

- We’re practicing writing the letter B and identifying words that start with that letter.
    - We’ll read several picture books about butterflies, scorpions, spiders, etc.
    - Talk about animals without backbones and their various characteristics.
    - Watch an episode of a David Attenborough doc about insects.
    - Watch some Mystery Science episodes about invertebrates.
    - Go hunting for minibeasts. My least favorite part.
    - Play Reading Eggs and Mathseeds.
    - Observe and discuss Ivan Kramskoy’s Beekeeper painting.
    - Begin memorizing Christina Rossetti’s poem, Hurt No Living Thing. Keep working on The Duck and the Kangaroo, review There Once Was a Puffin.
    - Talk about our weekly virtue: Cheerfulness.
    - Begin harp lessons.

The only one I’m worried about is the harp. I’d rather wait until 7 to start, but she’s been asking for it. I’m just afraid she’ll get frustrated and it might put her off trying again later.

26. mrs.kiwi

kiwi / 635 posts

@Hypatia: I’m homeschooling my 5yo too!

27. chesamine

olive / 64 posts

1) Child's name/initial: Isaac
    2) Birth month: November
    3) Type of school: Public
    4) What method of transportation? Drop-off mornings, Bus going home
    5) Is this your first to go to K or are you a seasoned pro? FIRST TIME

P.S.
    I gotta be honest, I am consumed and riddled with anxiety thinking of the amount of times DS will get sick ones he's in school. This is the very first time he's in school all day. He's never been to day care or school. He's always been cared for by family members - w/c we've been so grateful for. He's had the croup, the flu, respiratory issues, multiple bouts of strep, HFM, 24 hr fevers, week long fevers, and of course the regular cough and colds. Although DS is 5 turning 6, I can't help but worry what type of illness will be brought home . I have a DD at home who is turning 1 in October and I know that adds another layer of stress as I know multiple friends who has multiple kids and once 1 gets sick, ultimately the other one will too. I've always had a hard time dealing with that more mentally as opposed to physically. Usually physically I'll just go through a mental list in my head of what I can do right then and there to help DS feel more comfortable despite being sick and basically just kick into mom-gear once I hear a cough, see runny nose, or feel a touch of a fever.

I know DS will flourish in school. He loves meeting kids and playing with them. He's pretty social and keeps asking when is school going to start. I'm more worried about me. While with family members, I'm able to text to check in and ask how DS and DD are doing, but with school, I can't do that.

I hope I'm not the only one freaking out about these things with a first timer in KG.

28. graceandjoy

pear / 1565 posts

@Hypatia: SO cool! I love seeing what you're doing! Pls update us often!

@chesamine: Aww, I don't think it'll be that bad! My kids have been in daycare, and they did get sick that 1st year, but I don't think it was constant and it wasn't terrible. I think in a larger school setting, I def think about all the EXTRA germs floating around too

29. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

We just got our Kindergarten welcome pack in the mail! It includes the school supply list and our staggered entry information. Also, the school has a new principal so he's doing a meet the principal at the school playground this week. It's perfect because it checks off my item of having DS go see the school beforehand! Yay

30. Ajsmommy

pomegranate / 3355 posts

We should get our class assignments and stagger back schedule this week! I am so ready to get DD started in kinder.

31. graceandjoy

pear / 1565 posts

I'm so anxious to get our teacher assignments too and see if any of the kids we already know or have now met will be in the same class!

32. chesamine

olive / 64 posts

@graceandjoy: Oh from your lips to God's ears. I hate feeling worrying too far ahead it keeps me from enjoying the "now" with DS and DD.

33. jhd

coconut / 8079 posts

T went 2 days last week (staggered schedule) and this week is a full week for everyone. So far he loves it and the bus is “awesome” he says. I was such a mess leading up to this but things have gone smoothly so far. He’s had a little trouble eating lunch, he only ate his fruit today. I think it’s just a lot to get used to in the cafeteria.

34. Hypatia

kiwi / 500 posts

@mrs.kiwi: Fist bump! Let us know how it’s going. I had a little pushback last Friday when it finally dawned on DD that school is not optional and she can’t just ask to do it later. There’s play time and then there’s school time. It’s only 1.5 hours each day, so she doesn’t know how good she has it.

@graceandjoy Thanks! I’ll try to remember. We are studying ponds and lakes this week, so on Sunday, we went on a family canoeing trip. It was a great opportunity to talk about dragonflies, fish, turtles, kingfishers, etc. On my checklist this week:

- Watch a pond documentary and some relevant Mystery Science videos.
    - Play with water beads and small toob animals.
    - Practice the letter W.
    - Read picture books about bodies of water.
    - Play Reading Eggs and Mathseeds.
    - Observe Monet’s pond paintings.
    - Make a tissue paper craft that mimics Monet’s water lilies.
    - Finish our chapter book read aloud, The Night Fairy, and make a fairy house.
    - Continue memorizing Hurt No Living Thing and The Duck and the Kangaroo.
    - Virtue study: diligence. 🙏
    - Continue harp lessons. Add in piano lessons—I intended for her to learn piano first anyway. The piano lessons will reinforce the harp (a harp is just like an upright piano), and if she decides harp is too difficult because it requires so much dexterity, she might not feel as bad about it since she has piano to focus on. I’ll be using the free video lessons at Hoffman Academy.

The only real problem we had last week was the two year old constantly under our feet. No toy or even candy could satisfy her, she knew something was going on and she had to insert herself in the middle of it. I finally resorted to giving her a movie (we are normally a screen free house, aside from the occasional family movie night or educational videos). I honestly think that’s just going to have to be the new normal. You can understand how my older kid feels robbed that her sister gets a movie while she has to work. I might have to reward her with screen time later. We should study S next week, as in screens and slippery slopes.

35. jhd

coconut / 8079 posts

@Hypatia: I love seeing what your plans are. Looks like so much fun & great learning opportunities.

36. graceandjoy

pear / 1565 posts

@Hypatia: Aww! One of my friends also homeschools and actually as a little cohort sort of thing where she homeschools a few kids. I've always seen her try to involve the younger sibling in some way but you are right, it must be so hard to juggle both!

37. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

We had our meet the principal event and it went great! DS played with a few new kids and I met a few moms (and even shared contact info with one!) DS seems excited to see his new friend again when school starts. Even if none of those kids will be in his class I feel good about his ability to make new friends at least I also felt better because he’ll be one of the youngest but he doesn’t stand out as looking young.

38. graceandjoy

pear / 1565 posts

@JennyPenny: That's really great!

We're waiting for teacher assignment... I'm really hoping one of the kids we know will be in the same class!

39. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

Today was meet the teacher for grades 1-5, but I went anyway to drop off paperwork and sign my son up for after school care. It was a very productive morning. I also learned that the staggered entry teacher he has will likely be his real teacher. Apparently they take a best guess at classes before staggered entry and then only make small adjustments after the fact.

40. graceandjoy

pear / 1565 posts

@JennyPenny: That's great that he possibly will have that same teacher!

We got a lot of paper work in recently, found out who her teacher is, and had another orientation kind of night where it was SUPER reassuring to hear a lot more details from transportation, to what they do/how they do things at school, safety, lunch, etc. We also got their schedule which is so crazy to me that they have "classes"

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee