Hi Mamas,

I don't know who else to ask because none of my friends or family seem to have a little one that is as intense as mine. He's always been very high-energy, starting with constant kicking and movement in the womb, then extended colic, sleep issues, etc.

He's very curious and intelligent (but I guess we all see that in our little loves) and is now generally a good sleeper. Over the past couple of months he has become much more affectionate (he used to hate being held and would kick his way out immediately) and has started giving hugs and is very happy and bubbly. He's very social and loves people, also. He did start early with tantrums—like around 9/10 months. They didn't last long, but for example he would scream and bang his mouth on the crib rails or hit his head on the floor out of frustration.

But fast-forward to 15/16 months and things have become completely unmanageable. He spends many hours of his day in ridiculous tantrums. He screams and thrashes over the littlest things: if he can't walk outside with no shoes on, if he needs his diaper changed, if he wants something else for breakfast, if god-forbid he has to wear a bib, and now more recently, if I leave the room he loses his mind. My husband and I together can barely handle him, and on the days when I am alone with him it's *so* bad.

We try to be clear about boundaries, we do time-outs when he is doing something dangerous that he can't do (and this actually helps) but when he is told no he flings himself backward and bangs his head on the ground, and screams and stomps and throws things. If he is put in his crib to cool down he gets so upset that he tries to make himself throw up

He doesn't seem to be sick, he MIGHT be teething but this behavior has been happening for a while. He seems to be getting enough sleep.

What is going on? My husband and I are in over our heads. He gets so much attention and love and I try to get out with him every day (going out usually helps, but we are also struggling with lots of public freakouts that have everyone staring in horror!) My doctor thinks he's just a fighter, my mom thinks he is too intelligent for his own good, my dad thinks he needs a spanking, my MIL thinks he's possessed by spirits (lol).

Help!!!