Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

April 2015 Mamas!

1. lilyofthewest

pear / 1697 posts

@lulu22: How's it going?

2. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@meredithNYC: glad to know it may not be as bad as i'm imagining. i'm preparing myself for being in a semi and being without my DH so i'm not disappointed. and maybe i'll get my first good night's sleep in months and he won't need to be there anyways

@Astro Bee: ya my insurance covers semi private and we are definitely requesting to upgrade... it's only $50 and my health spending account will cover it. i just imagine everyone would request an upgrade because it's so cheap! the nurse said she has to warn us that just because you request it doesn't mean you get it... so who knows how likely it is. i didn't ask how many rooms they have. but the night we had our tour the entire birthing unit was full!

3. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@lilyofthewest: i'm also so curious how @lulu22: is doing! hope everything is okay!

4. meredithNYC

pomegranate / 3314 posts

@loki: You will definitely be okay, no matter what happens! Here's hoping you have wonderful and supportive nurses because that makes a really big difference. After seeing how hard the nurses work from my first birth, I absolutely plan on being that person who brings gifts of food for them

5. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@meredithNYC: i was thinking this the other day... i'd like to bring something. maybe muffins? what are you going to bring? the mom of one of my best friend's is a pediatric nurse at the hospital i'm delivering at and i told her i'm going to call her when i go into labour. i hope she's working because i'd love to have her there! maybe i'll ask her what they like to get

6. meredithNYC

pomegranate / 3314 posts

@loki: I'm not quite sure yet - maybe donuts or bagels. Although I remember people on here mentioning that sometimes the nurses like getting healthier things, too - like fruit, granola bars, etc. So maybe something like that? Provided I have time!

7. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@meredithNYC: i asked my friend's mom and she said they like tim hortons gift cards (not sure if u have tim's in NYC...but it's a coffee shop)... there's a tim's in the hospital so that way they can grab coffee etc. so i think i might get a bunch of $10 gift cards and just pack them in my hospital bag and bring some thank you cards and hand them out before i leave!

8. meredithNYC

pomegranate / 3314 posts

@loki: Yeah, that's a good idea! Our hospital has a Dunkin Donuts nearby and a Starbucks inside, so gift cards to either would be a nice option.

9. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@marionberry: I don't know that I would classify myself as "really" wanting one. I have the same concerns about uterine rupture with them being so close. Ugh. I just don't know how I will go 6 weeks without picking up DD for recovery. Oh well, at this point I'm kinda just like whatever is going to happen is going to happen.

10. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

I just got back from my 36w appt. I find the differences between midwives and OB's just so strange. The GBS test is optional, as is treatment if you're positive with midwives but OB's they just do it. I'm measuring 33.5 but they didn't seem concerned. I actually had a braxton hicks while she was trying to feel the baby and she couldn't. She said they were ok to have but I was got concerned to just call.

I asked how big she thought the baby is, but she said she couldn't really tell but she wasn't huge.

11. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@NeekieRose: That's going to be a problem for me too. Has your OB said he/she won't clear you for 6 weeks? Can your husband help carry her around? I'm just intending to do a lot of cuddling on the couch and walking with him holding his hand.

@Banana330: The whole not testing for GBS tging would scare me. Babies can get really sick because of it after birth. I guess they're just saying that they'll treat it if it happens after birth instead of trying to prevent it. Measuring small likely doesn't mean anything but I know in my practice that likely would warrant an ultrasound to check.

12. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@marionberry: I was surprised at the optional testing. The midwife said that it depends on where you fall in the treatment spectrum (ie how crunchy you are) she said some people wouldn't never take antibiotics whereas other people are happy to take them as preventative treatment. I did the test, no question, I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to know either way. The treatment sounds so benign compared to risking your baby but I get that there are people out there who have issues with it. She said the risk to baby is actually quite low (1:1000) but the risk is death which I can't imagine any parent would want as a chance!

13. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

Update from me: my swelling has gotten pretty bad over the past couple of days so went into the doctor for a check this morning. My BP is normal but there's some protein in my urine so they want to do some additional testing. I'm set up for a 24 hour urine capture starting tomorrow and they also did a bunch of blood work to check platelets, kidney and liver function. I think they're just taking every precaution and doing extra testing to rule out preeclampsia, but it makes me a little nervous! Other than the swelling I'm feeling good and actually got a couple of good nights sleep so that's wonderful! I need to catch up on all the other posting but wanted to share an update from me. More soon!

14. lilyofthewest

pear / 1697 posts

My midwives offer GBS testing but don't really care if you get it, or if you elect treatment for positive results. A lot of recent research indicates that GBS status is really fluid. Testing negative (or positive) at 36wks has very little correlation with status at delivery. They feel like a more appropriate standard of care would be to just treat all women or to only treat sick babies.

I'm electing to get the testing done because in the event that me or baby had to transfer to the hospital and I didn't have 36wk GBS results to give them, they'd presumptively treat the baby as infected.

15. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@lilyofthewest: it seems like that's the standard position for midwives.

@SunshineMcC: crazy! Fingers crossed everything is ok.

16. brownie

grapefruit / 4110 posts

@SunshineMcC: I had lots of swelling at the end and proteins throughout my pregnancy. My np was elevated for me but my doctor never seemed concerned. So good luck. If it is pre e hopefully the process is smooth.

17. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@SunshineMcC: glad they're keeping an eye on you and i hope everything works out okay. keep us posted!

18. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@SunshineMcC: I hear you on horrible swelling but that's no good that they found proteins in your urine. I can see why they're acting with precaution like it's pre-e. Have you had any headaches or blurry vision, etc? That's usually another sign you're having some issues. I have the elevated BP (though not bad enough) and swelling without the proteins right now.

AFM, I had pretty consistent contractions this morning for about an hour - all 8 mins apart, but then I took a shower and they spaced back out. It's making me wonder if I'm getting close to being done. I have a hair appt this afternoon, so praying I can at least get through that, lol.

19. Boopers

pear / 1548 posts

@SunshineMcC: oh my goodness, hope everything is ok!

20. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@marionberry: eee that's crazy/exciting! hope you manage to squeeze in your hair appointment! i'm so happy the boys have hung in there so long! have fun at your hair appointment. i can't wait to be off work so i can go get a mani/pedi.

21. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@loki: I got a pedicure about 2 weeks ago and it was heavenly. I'm glad you'll get a week off to really relax and indulge - you deserve it! I worked all morning and only got this appt because someone cancelled. I just know that once the twins get here I'm not getting back to update my highlights for at least 3-4 months, so I have to take advantage when I can. Just praying the contractions don't start back up as my hair stylist is about an hour from where I live and the hospital.

22. As Time Goes By

apricot / 346 posts

@lulu22: I hope everything is going well with you and your baby!

@marionberry: & @NeekieRose: I'm so excited for both of you (and a little jealous ) that you know you are so close to meeting your babies!

@lilyofthewest: my midwives have a similar approach with optional testing and treatment. Thankfully I was negative so we didn't have to decide if I should have treatment or not.

@SunshineMcC: hopefully everything is fine with the assessment... You've had quite the pregnancy!

Things are starting to feel real here! I'm on spring break which is leading right into my leave so I had to have everything wrapped up last week and it feels great to be finished. I had a couple nights of amazing sleep once I was able to let all of the work stress go!

I'm going for another ultrasound to check fluid levels because my 35 week one had a low-normal measurement, so hopefully the levels are still okay. And baby has started to move down a bit. I have had a crazy amount of pressure and I think a few hours of actual contractions the last few days... Our babies are going to be here so soon!

23. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@Boopers: @loki: @Banana330: @brownie: thanks for the well wishes - let's hope it's nothing!

@marionberry: nope, no headaches or vision issues, which they did warn me about, in case they come up. I wish they can rule it out based on the blood work, as those results come back tomorrow - it's going to suck if we have to wait until Monday for the urine test results. On other note, I got my hair done yesterday too - cut/highlights - and was so glad that baby didn't come before then!

24. As Time Goes By

apricot / 346 posts

@marionberry: keep is posted! I hope you are feeling okay and make it through the afternoon!

@loki: I went crazy booking a haircut, pedi, and massage this week! My midwives joked about all the women who get pedicures eventhough it's not where they are looking. I laughed and said it wasn't for their benefit but totally a treat for myself!

25. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@loki: @marionberry: I'm hoping to get a pedicure in tonight too - I read online somewhere about women being concerned with "down there" grooming during labor, whereas the doctors and nurses commented that bad feet were worse than anything! I'm planning to get a light baby blue color on my toes to celebrate baby boy!

26. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@As Time Goes By: Same here in terms of pampering!

27. As Time Goes By

apricot / 346 posts

I had an appointment with my GP and she asked what our plan is for birth control after baby... We have given this zero thought. Anybody have ideas on what they plan on doing?

28. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@As Time Goes By: That seems so far away! We haven't really discussed but probably just condoms until we decide about a #2. I had the coil before, but had it removed maybe 10 months before we started trying, and it wouldn't make sense to have it put in and taken out for a short time period.

29. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@Boopers: No dilation here either - at 37.5 weeks. I'm also working up until I go into labor, but have been able to work from home a lot, so that helps.

@loki: I SO hope you get a private room - I can understand being upset at the thought of your DH not being there non-stop! Hopefully it will be super slow and you guys will have a room to yourselves. Glad you got approval to stop working when you want as well - that's great! And love the idea of gift cards for the nurses - I want to have something to give them too, but wasn't sure what to get. Starbucks cards are great - there is one in the hospital, so I'll probably get a few of those - how many do you think you'll get?

@lulu22: Hoping that all is OK with you and baby and that you're home taking good care of you! XO

@meredithNYC: such a great idea to bring gifts for the nurses - thanks for the reminder!

30. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@As Time Goes By: oh wow hadn't even crossed my mind. i'll probably just not let my husband touch me for a long long time.

31. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@SunshineMcC: i think maybe 5 or 6? if i don't hand them all out, they won't go to waste cuz at least we'll be able to use them! second time moms... were there more or less than 5/6 people you felt you needed to thank after labour/delivery?

32. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@As Time Goes By: oh gosh, I agree - that does seem so far away! We definitely want more kids and DH would be ready to try ASAP, but I think I'm going to need some time. I'll be 38 this July though, so don't want to wait too long! No idea what we'll do!

33. meredithNYC

pomegranate / 3314 posts

@As Time Goes By: I never did go back on birth control, but mostly because I hate it. Just used condoms, which I don't love but at least they don't affect me hormonally. When we are done having kids, my husband is having a vasectomy and I can't wait!! To finally be free of birth control decisions will feel so amazing.

Also, it took me FOREVER to want to have sex post-baby. I was really nervous about it.

34. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@As Time Goes By: We didn't do anything. I got my period back at 8 weeks PP, but my cycles were really long. I tracked them and tried to avoid. But we knew we wanted to have kids closes so technically we were NTNP. I was surprised when I got my BFP at 8 months PP, although I probably shouldn't have been.

After this baby I think I am going to get an IUD. Never had one before but we aren't 100% sure whether we will be done after 2 or go for a third. If we go for the third, it won't be for awhile.

35. lilyofthewest

pear / 1697 posts

@As Time Goes By: I put "call to schedule 6wk post-partum Mirena insertion" on sweetie's labor honey-do list. If my midwives offered immediate post-placental delivery placement (they don't), I would have a new IUD put in the same day baby comes out!

36. As Time Goes By

apricot / 346 posts

I'm glad I'm not the only one to need to still figure this out! I think DH wants to just see what happens for #2, but I want to be back at work for a while before going on leave again.
    @Banana330: @meredithNYC: I don't really want to go back on birth control/ get an iud since we will likely start trying again in about 18 months although if it were upto DH it would be even less time (crazy to even suggest at this time!) @loki: if we can't figure something out, abstinence might just be our solution!

37. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@As Time Goes By: after this pregnancy, i'm okay with being abstinent for life

38. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@loki: I hear that... my DH likes to say "lets see how this one goes"... and "are you sure you ever want to do this again!" He also told me today he's over this pregnancy, I laughed and said me too!

39. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Banana330: my DH said "i'm not sure i can go through this again". i wanted to punch him. but he's dead serious. i get it's been hard on him but COME ON.

40. loki

pear / 1787 posts

anonysquire posted she's in labour! i think that's officially our first april mama... her due date is a day before mine so... that's wild!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee