Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

April 2015 Mamas!

1. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@TravelBee: Welcome!

@SunshineMcC: We looked at one home daycare and two centers for DD. One of my best friends uses the home daycare and we liked it, but we could not make the hours work (8-5). So we ended up looking at centers that had the hours we could work with (6:30-6:30). DD was due Nov 2 (sidenote: born Oct 29th...making Wed her 1st birthday!!), and we put a deposit down for her spot in July. So I don't think it's that crazy to have to put a deposit down in January.

We aren't sure what we are going to do after this baby. I would like to keep them both at the center because I really like it. But it is not cheap ($17k a year for one). So DH would like us to look into home daycares again that could save us a lot. But I'm not completely on board with giving up a lot of the benefits of the center....

2. Jenn23

persimmon / 1085 posts

@TravelBee: Welcome! Our due dates are only a day apart!

Had another OB appt. this morning and got to hear my little girl's heartbeat. Best sound in the world!!

Starting to sleep better now. Insomnia isn't as bad as before which I'm happy about. Morning sickness mostly gone. Lovin' this 2nd trimester!!!

3. lulu22

apricot / 306 posts

I've been offline for a few days, but just caught up on where everyone is at! Just wondering, has anyone had a yeast infection while pregnant? I've been having thick white discharge over the weekend, and some very mild itching. Then this morning I woke up and noticed brown spotting I called my clinic right away and they said to take Monistat 7 and if it doesn't clear then call them back in a week once I've taken the course, or if things get worse. I was hoping they would tell me to come in and get checked out because I am SO worried about the brown spotting. They said the spotting is sometimes caused by the yeast infection. I'm 17 weeks today... I just want to know that the little guy is ok in there!

4. Mrs. Sunshine

hostess / cantaloupe / 6486 posts

@lulu22: it's really scary (the spotting) but as long as it's brown, you're not cramping & it's light then everything should be a - okay!

5. lulu22

apricot / 306 posts

@Mrs. Sunshine: thank you! yes, i am trying to stay calm. I will start the monistat tonight and keep my fingers crossed that the brown spotting is nothing.

@TravelBee: In my flap I forgot to say welcome to you! happy to have you join us!

6. Mrs.Pinecone316

persimmon / 1316 posts

Hey Everyone! Just checking in to say hope second trimester is treating everyone well!!

Has anyone not done an "official FB announcement" yet? I will be 16 weeks this week and it still makes me so nervous! Even though the majority of people that we see a lot know already, there is a lot that don't know and I feel like my little bump is growing enough where its going to be pretty obvious. DH and I took a cute pic to use yesterday for it but it still feels hard to pull the trigger and just make it known to everyone still.

7. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@Mrs.Pinecone316: I haven't! I'm 18+2 and doing a gender reveal at DD's party this weekend. I have told a lot of people in person, just not social media.

I haven't told work yet and am not sure when I will. I'm friends with some people from work on FB so it's still not been announced.

8. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Mrs.Pinecone316: we decided we aren't going to do an official announcement on facebook. just doesn't feel like us! eventually i figure there will be photos of me pregnant and people will get it! we've told a lot of people in person though.

@NeekieRose: good for you for going so long without telling work, that is impressive! i had to tell early because i was so sick and wnated my boss to understand why! how are you hiding the bump?!

@TravelBee: welcome to our little group

9. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@loki: Yeah, I don't know how you would have managed with being so sick! My bump is only visible if I wear fitted tops, but for work I wear mostly dresses that are not fitted in the tummy area. Here is a pick of me at work today. (Excuse my messy office). You would have to know what you were looking for to see a bump!

10. lulu22

apricot / 306 posts

@loki: we are on the exact same page with facebook announcements! We've told our close friends... everyone else can work it out when they see pictures.

11. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@NeekieRose: oh ya totally, i would never know! your bump pictures make it look much more prominent

12. lilyofthewest

pear / 1697 posts

@Mrs.Pinecone316: I haven't yet either. I'm at 15w1d and we've been waiting to be truly open and public until we tell Sweetie's parents next weekend. We delayed until getting back our first tri screening results because we didn't think they would've been supportive if we terminated. Since getting those results back, we've been waiting to tell them in person rather than by phone.

Given then I am short with a short torso, we're actually going to be showing them instead of telling them.

13. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@Mrs.Pinecone316: No, and we're not going to. There will probably be an eventual bump picture at something we go to so that will out us.

So I just told my boss, who is an incredibly awkward man to start, his reaction... I was wondering about that, followed by dead silence. No congratulations, nothing. The emotional pregnant lady in me almost burst in to tears...

14. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@loki: That's why maternity clothes are great! They can accentuate the bump nicely. For now, those are banished to the weekend and it normal clothes during the work week

15. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@Banana330: Ha! Or maybe it's not funny. I'm just picturing your awkward boss. My VP is a woman and super awkward. She never congratulated me last time. Just thanked me for planning my leave around our busy time. Which I didn't do this time. So who knows what she is going to say this time. Something super awkward for sure.

16. TravelBee

coffee bean / 33 posts

Thanks for the warm welcome! Happy to be part of the April group. Perfect month to welcome a little one.

17. Boopers

pear / 1548 posts

@Banana330: so sorry it wasn't a better reaction from your boss!

@TravelBee: welcome!!

I sound like a broken record, but I am still getting sick. Still. At 17w5d. I was getting better and thought the sickness phase was over but nope. Still getting sick at least 3x a week. Today I felt awful at work.

I am happily wearing maternity clothes and it's just so much more comfortable than trying to squeeze pants around my stomach.

We find out the sex in a week and I'm getting super duper impatient! My side of the family thinks it's a girl and myself and hubby's side thinks it's a boy. Can't wait!

18. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@NeekieRose: true it would have been hilarious to watch from an outsiders perspective.
    @Boopers: I guess i just hoped better from him, but no. @TravelBee: Welcome!

19. PawPrints

pomegranate / 3658 posts

I posted this on another thread but I'd love to get opinion from you guys. Did any of you second-time-moms skip straight to a convertible carseat? And if so, what was your stroller experience? I'm feeling very opposed to the infant carseat since people say that their babies grow out of them in as little as five months (yikes), but I also don't want to buy a $$$ bassinet attachment for my stroller. We're getting the Baby Jogger City Versa which supposedly is not okay until 6+ months, though I have seen several people post online that they used the stroller earlier than that with a Snuzzler or with the convertible carseat insert switched into the stroller. Any thoughts? Will we get dirty looks for torturing our baby if we do something like that? I am kind of figuring I'll end up babywearing for most of the first few months anyway (we have an Ergo).

20. Rockies11

persimmon / 1363 posts

@lulu22: I had lots with my first pregnancy, and I actually had bleeding from a horrible yeast infection rash, not from like an internal cause! Yuck! Brown spotting is normal though, yeast infection or no yeast infection.

@lilyofthewest: short torsos unite!

@Boopers: I barfed into my boss' garbage can on a conference call this morning. I actually think I am getting worse not better.

As for me, I was complaining yesterday to my husband about how much I just really have bad pregnancies and don't like being pregnant at all. He got all panicky (which he always does) that I won't want to have anymore kids after this. Since we're halfway done having kids after this one, he wants a promise that I will have the rest of them, lol. I am always saying "maybe don't ask me about this while I am pregnant", lol. Just let me get them out of me first and start getting some baby fever.

@PawPrints: I had an infant carseat, never ever used it in a stroller, then when our LO was 3 months old we got in a car accident, so I tossed it and got a convertible carseat, which I liked way more. I am not getting an infant carseat ever again. Maybe I am a weakling, but I couldn't lift the darn thing anyway, so it was pretty pointless. And she hated it. I had her in Ergo until she was about 9 months, then I got a really nice umbrella (UppaBaby G-Luxe) which works from 3 months on. With this next baby I am planning on Ergoing and going convertible carseat straight away. I have heard that some people have babies that don't like Ergo or other carriers, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Also, from a purely practical perspective, the absolute worst thing that can happen about not having an infant bucket and needing one for some reason that I can't think of, is that you'll need to buy one when you determine that you need one. You need the convertible later anyway, so it's not like it's possible for it to be a wasted seat! So by skipping the infant bucket you're most likely saving money, and there's no actual risk because you can always get one later if you change your mind. I also remember being super anxious about the idea of getting something later that I might need because I wanted to have ALL THE THINGS on hand, but it's not possible to do that anyway, and you end up going to Toys 'r Us 100x a week anyway when you have a new baby and are trying to sort it all out.

21. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@Boopers: I forgot to say i'm still getting sick too. Yesterday was an awesome day, zero gagging or puking. Today puked by 10am and super gaggy all day. ugh.. hoping it's clearing up though!

22. PawPrints

pomegranate / 3658 posts

@Rockies11: Thanks for the perspective/experience! So did you end up just not using a stroller at all for the first nine months, then?

23. Rockies11

persimmon / 1363 posts

@PawPrints: yeah, I didn't use it at all! I actually ended up returning it and then not re-buying a stroller for a number of months because I had no use for it. We live downtown, so I walked a lot, and she liked to be cozied up rather than in the stroller in any event. I got the umbrella stroller when we were leaving for a trip to England because we were going to do days and days of walking and I didn't think my back could take carrying that big lug with that much walking!

24. Mrs. Sunshine

hostess / cantaloupe / 6486 posts

@PawPrints: my LO actually fit comfortably in her infant seat until nearly a year old!! lol i also did start jogging when she was around 4 months old so having the infant seat was so so helpful. That being said. I wore her every single time we went out until she was about 7 or 8 months old! So I definitely think you'd be okay on the stroller front but that's just theory based &not experience.

25. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@PawPrints: hate to play the devil's advocate, but my LO had many naps in her bucket seat and I loved how I was able to pop her out of the car and bring in the seat without waking her. We used the infant seat up until 12 months, but for the last couple I just left it in the car. I thought I'd baby wear a ton but I really didn't with her. However, I'm hoping to do it more with LO2. As for stroller, we were handed down a Quinny with a bassinet which was awesome for the first 6 months but they are pricey and I wouldn't have bought it myself. We ended up buying our own smaller stroller and started using that at 6 months. I think you can definitely do without a stroller for the first 6 months if you plan to baby wear, but I really did love pushing a stroller and going for long walks with LO. Plus with an April baby we are going to have months of nice weather to walk around. I'm definitely pro infant seat and stroller to use early on if you can get them for a good price!

26. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@PawPrints: DD is almost a year and she is still using the infant seat. I will probably make it to 15 months in the infant seat so it is totally worth it to me. Like @delight said, it is really nice to be able to move that infant seat into the house when they fall asleep. I also was able to take her places (a winery, parties, family get togethers) and she would nap in the infant seat with a cover over it. I also used the ergo when running errands but used the stroller with the car seat for neighborhood walks (so she could see).

27. lulu22

apricot / 306 posts

@Rockies11: thank you so much for the reassurance re. spotting! I can't believe you barfed in your boss's garbage - such a "hollywood movie moment" and HORRIBLE I am sure but maybe you will look back and laugh?! Hope you start to feel better soon

28. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@PawPrints: In agreement with @neekierose: and @delight: over here. DS used his infant seat for nearly a year and still does in dad's car. I can't imagine having to wake him up to bring him inside if I'd had a convertible car seat. We bought a chicco keyfit caddy (they're about $90) and used it as our stroller with the infant seat until about 10 months. It's super light and easy to haul around. We're going to be buying a twin one shortly. DS didn't love being carried that much so the car seat was much easier for us.

29. PawPrints

pomegranate / 3658 posts

@delight: @NeekieRose: @marionberry: Oh I'm actually really not on the fence at all about the convertible vs. infant seat, we live in an urban walkable area and just spend so little time in the car that it's very hard for me to imagine we'll have much use for carrying napping baby straight from the car to a stroller. (And when we do drive somewhere, it's typically a 5-15 minute drive). My question was more if anybody has experience with putting a <6 month baby directly into a stroller (with a Snuzzler or other insert) or alternatively just babywearing for the first 6 months. Thanks for the experiences though, that does help me understand why SO many parents go for the infant seat (I had been a little baffled when I was reading thread after thread about people having to switch to convertible at such young ages).

30. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@PawPrints: Well in that case, yeah, I used the Ergo most of the time when we were out and about so that will likely work well for you!

31. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Boopers: i'm still sick too. i'll have a good day and think it's all over and then the next day, bam. i actually don't throw up much anymore but i am still super nauseous and really gaggy. my appetite is back but my food aversions are still brutal. we went out for dins last night to order my FAVOURITE appetizer and i couldn't get it down. boo!!!

what carrier would you guys recommend? i want to get one but there is so much info about all of them. based on the discussion, i presume you can start using them as soon as baby is born??? i know nothing about them but i'm interested! educate me.

for the last few days i have had this weird cramping pain in my left abdomen. it feels like what i thought implantation felt like... sometimes it's a dull ache that lasts for a couple of minutes and sometimes it's a sharp twinge. i am starting to get worried about it and wonder if something else is going on. i think i might have to go to the doctor about this but wondering if anyone has any ideas? it's worse when i cough (yes i still have my cough, two months later).

32. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@loki: We have an ergo and an Infantino. I prefer my Infantino. I'm short and it fits me better than the ergo but the ergo works great for my husband. Is there a baby store you can visit where you can try them on? I did that at babies r us.

As far as the pains if you start getting really concerned def call your dr. Better to go in and have it be nothing than not go in and have it be something.

33. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@marionberry: oh i will have to try to swing by babies r us, didn't know they would let you try them!

ya i think i will get it checked out. it doesn't really feel baby related. for a while i thought it was maybe RLP but now i think it doesn't feel like it's like stretching, it feels sharper than that and maybe... deeper in? i dunno. i'm worried about how to explain it so they don't just write it off as a pregnancy system.

34. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@loki: in my store they had a bunch hanging up next to where you purchase them so you could try before buying. A baby boutique in my area does the same thing. And just tell your doctor you're having pains you're concerned about. I'd assume they'd have you come in.

35. Rockies11

persimmon / 1363 posts

@loki: I am sure you will be able to find a good baby store that will let you experiment with a carrier to find the right fit. there are stores that specialize in "baby wearing" and they are usually super good and helpful and passionate about the subject. I found this easier to do with a baby, because you can also see if the baby is into one thing over another, but most places have baby dolls you can experiment with if you're just looking for fit.

I own all the carriers - or at least one of each kind of carrier, and have used them all. Ergo is my favorite! There are three main kinds of carriers:

1. Slings and wraps - these are just pieces of cloth that have little plastic rings sometimes, or sometimes they are just cloth. You have to ninja them into actually holding the baby, so you have to be good at tying things and watching youtube videos to figure out how to work them. Upsides - super versatile in terms of what position you can put the baby in, and you can change up where the baby is positioned as the baby gets older. You can get really beautiful wraps and different materials and weaves and so forth, so they can go with your personal style. They are also great to position infant infants over the breast so you can feed them in then while you go about your business. Downsides - there is some controversy about infant suffocation if used incorrectly, but they all come with instructions about safety so as to avoid that. They can be super hard on your back and shoulders because there is no support for them to sit on your hips. Other downside is the ninja thing - I could never figure out how to get her in a position that I felt was truly secure, but that said, I totally totally suck at that type of thing so if you suck that that type of thing, it may not be your thing.

2. Soft structured carriers - these are the ones like Ergo or Mei Tai or Koba or Tula. They're like backpacks, and the baby faces inwards (although some now have a rotation outwards you can do, but I have heard that doesn't reallly work) in a seated position. They can be worn with the baby faced inwards towards you in the front, which is when they're little, or on your back when they're bigger. Upsides - easy to use, they disburse weight onto your hips so way less back strain, you can nurse in them. Downsides - some babies hate them - particularly very active ones, they still do pull on your back a bit, they're sort of hard to get the baby into at first, and the baby is in the position that they're in so less flexibility than a wrap.

3. Structured carriers - these are like the one from the Hangover - Britax or Baby Bjior. These face the baby outwards, and the baby dangles by his or her crotch. Upsides - really easy to get the baby into, active babies who don't like to be constrained like them because their arms and legs are free. Downsides - there is a big controversy about the dangling thing being uncomfortable for the baby, versus the seated position of the soft structured. I read a thoughtful and well researched article that said that this actually isn't really a substantiated thing. If it was uncomfortable for your baby, you would know it, hahaha. Downsides - don't disburse weight well onto hips, so it hurt my back more. I couldn't really use mine also because I had a c-section, and where the weight sat was right above the c-section line, so it was just too painful.

So anyway, that's my novel, lol. Oh also, most "baby wearing" stores will not sell the structured carriers and will say lots of awful things about the dangling thing, so you'd have to try them on at toys 'r us! And from a personal style perspective, slings and wraps are more "hippie", soft structured are semi-hippie, but you can get neutral designs that are more "yuppie" and structured are more "yuppie" than "hippie" lol.

36. brownie

grapefruit / 4110 posts

@loki: you can't use all of them as designed from birth. In theory for the ergo (which is a great carrier for most people) you need the infant insert. I know experienced wearers will wear infants without the insert. For infant stage I love the moby wrap. For my son we got a beco Gemini because he needed to face out. We have a tula toddler for him now (and I just wore my tiny 3 year old at 4 months preggers on the front).

The ergo 360 looks pretty cool these days but I'm not allowed to buy another carrier.

37. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Rockies11: thank you for that amazing run down!!! Soft structured sounds the most like my deal but I will have to try them on to be sure. I don't think I could handle the slings/wraps. I've seen them used and they just look too complicated for me. I want something my husband will be able to use too...

@brownie: oh good to know about the infant insert. ya they're pretty expensive. i want to try to find one second hand, if possible!

38. Rockies11

persimmon / 1363 posts

@loki: Yeah at the store with all the slings and wraps they were like "it's super easy, you just tie this here, and then pull that, and then wrap this there, and then configure this over here, and then pull snug, but not too snug, all while not dropping this precious newborn baby, and viola!" And I was like "ummmmmm....".

39. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@loki: I have 3 carriers. The Ergo is my favorite. I used it all the time when she was little (and still use it now occasionally). I found the Ergo to be great when we were out and about. A friend lent me the infant insert and it was great. I love that the Ergo has a zipper pocket and an open pocket to carry your phone, wallet, and keys. It is definitely like a backpack, which is why I did not like it for use around the house. For around the house I used the Boba (like the Moby wrap). It was really easy to tie and use and so comfortable for around the house.

Lastly, I do have a bjior that I picked up for $5 at a consignment sale with the idea that it would be great to use outward facing. I've never used it.

@Rockies11 did a great job of giving a run down!

40. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Rockies11: ya with my current baby brain... not happening! haha.

@NeekieRose: oh didn't even think about for around the house. none of my friends baby wear at home so i didn't even consider it. maybe when the baby comes i'll look into something like this! thanks for your feedback.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee