Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

April 2015 Mamas!

1. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@loki: I didn't think about it at all at first either. And then the baby came. And in those first few months she lovvveddd to be held. I of course loved to hold her, but there was no way I could get things done. I hosted Thanksgiving 3 weeks after she was born and I NEEDED a way to get things done. It was fantastic. Oh, baby won't nap? Pop her in the boba and walk around a bit. Out. It was so fantastic.

2. ineebee

pear / 1580 posts

@Mrs.Pinecone316: I haven't done a FB announcement, and don't plan on doing it! We're just having too much fun telling people in person, and I also am sensitive because during my IF struggles, I hated -- HATED -- those FB announcements! So I've made a decision not to.

3. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@loki: I'm getting similar pains but on my right side. they are localized and feel sharper than just ligaments stretching. I'm assuming it's baby related and is fine.

I've already decided I want a solly wrap and ergo. I was thinking K'tan but i'm worried about sizing and i think I can get the learning curve of a wrap pretty quickly. They have the solly at my yoga studio it's sooo soft!

4. Mrs. Sunshine

hostess / cantaloupe / 6486 posts

I just used an off brand soft structured carrier that I LOVE. But i am thinking of trying a sling with this baby because I'm assuming it will be easier to nurse in & I know being a SAHM of 2 under will mean that it just won't be possible to sit & snuggle every time she needs to nurse.

5. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

Hi ladies! Been MIA the last couple days - home yesterday as I was feeling yucky, but better today! Just got an order of mat clothes from Old Navy and excited to try stuff on when I get home!

Anyone dressing up as anything fun and prego related for Halloween? DH & I are thinking of Juno & her guy from the movie, but not sure about other ideas.

@Rockies11: whoa, what an amazing overview, thanks so much! I've been starting to wonder about products like this, a stroller and a car seat, so this is super helpful!

@Neekierose: glad to hear some people use meow than one kind. I like the idea of the ergo type while out and a softer wrap while home. Cute pic of you in your office !!

@ineebee: @mrs.pinecone316: no FB announcement here either. Like @ineebee, we're having fun telling people individually and most everyone we care about knowing knows. I always assumed we'd do one, but DH isn't comfortable with how public it is, which I respect. But eventually I know I'll either post a bump pic or make a comment about missing wine and will out myself!

@loki: hope you feel better and/or get some reassurance from your doc that all is ok with your pains. Keep us posted!

6. PawPrints

pomegranate / 3658 posts

I am pretty excited about babywearing. We have a hand-me-down Ergo and I found out we have a friend willing to let us use their Moby for the infancy stage. Pretty sweet.

I've been having lots of those weird pains everyone is describing, particularly when I sneeze or whatever. It's obnoxious but I figure it's just things shifting around.

I did a ton of research on Lucie's List and the entire rest of the internet over the weekend in an effort to get our registry set up. My head is now full of a billion decisions about infant gear. I had never pictured doing the registry this early (we don't even know the sex yet) but I think our parents want to start Christmas-shopping for the LO-to-be. Not going to turn that down.

7. PawPrints

pomegranate / 3658 posts

Speaking of infant gear decisions, anybody have any passionate opinions about cloth diapers? I just registered us for a bunch of Bum Genius 4.0 all-in-ones, though I know people say they take longer to dry. I also am aware that normally you end up purchasing diapers yourself since for whatever reason, people don't gravitate toward them on the registry. Sad. They're cute!

8. Mrs. Sunshine

@PawPrints: we cloth diapered until LO was 12.5 months! We quit because I could not get the smell out anymore so I switched detergents & it got the smell out but LO got a horrible bleeding rash that has left scars on her bottom & my heart. I feel a lot of guilt about the disposables we've been using the past month but seriously, my baby's butt was bleeding. I purchased best bottoms & Bitti Tutto, both happen to be on the lower end of pricing. I also only bought enough for 2 days worth of diapers so I usually washed everyday so some of them (not all!) are kind of on their last leg. I liked cloth diapering & I'm not sure what I did wrong so that it didn't work out for us but I didn't mind it at all in the year that we did it.

9. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@PawPrints: I'm going to try to! hopefully my baby likes it.
    I heard it's best to try a few before stocking up completely, because depending on your baby some might fit better than others. I'm only doing the one size ones cause I can't be bothered with two sets of two different sizes and I know the covers etc will probably overwhelm DH. I think i've bought maybe 6-7 to try out once the baby is big enough. I got a Blueberry, rumparooz, totbots, AMP and bumgenius freetime and 4.0. they all had really cute prints and colours so I just couldn't say no. After trying those i'll decide what to get the remainder of, although most things i've read people love the BG 4.0

So this happened last night... I was trying to get dinner started but started gagging and it just got harder since there was nothing in my stomach I couldn't puke but I did pee a little! I thought this was suppose to be an issue later in pregnancy not now!

10. Mrs. Sunshine

@Banana330: yes! All of the ones we used were one size. I definitely preferred that. Hope it works out for you!
    Your evening sounds like it was rough. Did you feel less gag after you ate?
    Last pregnancy the little girl I nannied got me sick & I had a lasting cough (this was still in the second tri) & I was at the grocery store one day, I coughed, then I sneezed & peed my pants. Thankfully I had extra underwear so I hauled it to the bathroom to change. I left my basket full of prenatal vitamins, stretch mark cream & a birthday gift right outside the door. When I came out, someone had removed all my things & set them on the floor & stole my basket even though the basket area was a few feet away. I cried in the middle of the store. It happens to the best of us!

11. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@Mrs. Sunshine: I did feel a bit better. That after work/dinner time is always when i feel my worst.

ugh.. maybe i'll have to start carrying around spare underwear just in case. I completely understand the tears!

12. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@PawPrints: i really wanted to cloth diaper to save money but my DH is passionately against it. i'm reeeeally lazy too so i think we're probably go with disposables... i might change my mind when i see the money we're spending on them though! we'll see how it goes. one of my good friends is planning on going cloth once her newborn gets a bit bigger so i might wait to see how she does and decide down the road.

@Banana330: haha omg glad i'm not the only one. the number of time i've peed my pants while throwing up in the last few months is ridiculous! i was like omg if it's this bad now i can only imagine how bad it'll be post-baby! my DH makes fun of me so much but my girlfriends assure me it's normal.

13. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@loki: It's reassuring it's happening to other people!

14. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Banana330: i was telling my husband last night all the gross and bizarre things that are happening to my body that i keep having to google to find out if they're normal. he was like... you're sexy.

15. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@loki: we use disposables. I never could be one to cloth diaper. We used to use Huggies during the day and Pampers Baby Dry at night but we just switched to target brand diapers for daytime since they're much cheaper and size 5s are expensive. I'd definitely recommend you try generic brands. They'll save you a pretty penny.

16. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@marionberry: that's probably our plan! i've heard Costco brand are really inexpensive so we're considering getting a membership for diapers and wipes. i really am clueless about most things and plan on learning as i go! haha.

17. meredithNYC

pomegranate / 3314 posts

@PawPrints: We use cloth! I went with the Bum Genius 4.0 because they seemed the least complicated and we have had a lot of success with them. One thing I will suggest when your LO starts eating solids is liners. Oh my God, they save the day when it comes to poop. Some people don't mind scraping poop. I am not one of those people. They ended up not being too expensive since if she just peed I would throw them in the wash with the diapers and reuse.

18. meredithNYC

pomegranate / 3314 posts

Also, has anyone been experiencing CRAZY mood swings lately? Oh my God, I am such a beast to my husband and toddler and I have no patience. I feel awful, but it's just kind of the way it is right now

19. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@marionberry: We're planning to do disposables as well - DH and I talked about it, and we're just not the cloth diaper kind - but my BFF did and just loved it. Good to know that the generic brands are a good option. I've heard a lot of good things about the Target brands!

@PawPrints: Congrats on getting the registry set-up! I agree, if parents want to buy, let them! Other than Lucie's List, what other resources did you find helpful in setting it up?

20. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@meredithNYC: Yes - a bit of moodiness over here too - I think part of mine is because I'm really tired and not able to get good sleep. I had about a week of good sleep, but now I'm back to waking up several times in the night and not being able to go back to sleep! Grrr.

21. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@meredithNYC: haha omg i am like the hulk, especially at work. i'm SOOOO irritable... someone rustling their papers can send me over the edge. there is this one guy who EVERY DAY flips the name plate of a coworker upside down and i am seriously gonna get homicidal soon. of course, i hide it at work. but at home, my husband definitely gets the worst of it... poor guy.

22. meredithNYC

pomegranate / 3314 posts

@SunshineMcC: @loki: I'm g-chatting my husband at this moment to be like, sorry (again) for being a total beast this morning!

23. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@SunshineMcC: @loki: We use disposables. Used Pamper Swaddlers NB-size 3 and now use Pampers Cruisers for size 3 (once she started crawling). I buy diapers and wipes through Amazon subscribe and save with my Amazon Prime/Amazon Mom membership. I get 20% off diapers and wipes (as long as I have a total of 5 things each month delivered through S&S...which I always do, we get a lot of household items). We get one box a month and pay about $35 for it. So it's really not terrible. Not sure what the target brand runs, maybe a few dollars less.

24. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@meredithNYC: a little more moodiness. My feelings are getting hurt easier, I think. But nothing too crazy.

25. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@NeekieRose: I'm feeling the same. More emotional and sensitive.

26. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@Banana330: hopefully it doesn't get much worse. My mom flies in this afternoon for DD's birthday (my baby is a year old today!!) and will be staying with us...she always manages to push my buttons. Hoping that isn't the case this weekend.

27. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@NeekieRose: oh good luck! My mom does the same!

28. brownie

grapefruit / 4110 posts

@loki: we did grovia hybrid diaps and could use the cloth or disposable inserts. We bought packs of the sposie inserts from costco. Once we started potty training we went to sposies (pull-ups)

29. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@NeekieRose: ooooh happy birthday Reagan! (did i spell that right???)

30. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@loki: Thanks! You did!

31. PawPrints

pomegranate / 3658 posts

@SunshineMcC: Mainly I relied on LL and then googled for reviews/opinions on specific items and decisions as I tackled them.

This is great for strollers: http://www.momsstrollerreviews.com/

We are *trying* to take a minimalist approach to baby gear that we pay for, so I'm pretty keen to avoid, as much as possible, buying a lot of stuff that we don't end up using. So I looked at some blog posts on what people consider to be the bare essentials of baby gear. I know Lucie's List is supposed to provide exactly that but it still seemed like a lot to me. YHL has a few posts that I went back and re-read on that topic:
    http://www.younghouselove.com/2010/09/save-it-the-baby-edition/
    http://www.younghouselove.com/2014/03/things-well-re-do-and-do-new-for-baby-2/
    http://www.younghouselove.com/2010/07/keeping-it-real-the-baby-gear-factor/

Then, LL has very little on cloth diapering, so I did some research there, but probably still need to do some more since I don't feel passionately about our current decision to go with all Bum Genius 4.0 all-in-ones.
    http://www.younghouselove.com/2010/08/the-much-requested-cloth-diaper-post/
    http://www.viewalongtheway.com/2013/02/cloth-diapering-101/

And of course, another great resource is the Hellobee board archives. Every time I was stuck on a decision I tried to see if there was an old thread where someone asked the same question. I searched A LOT on strollers and carseats. I also googled to find relevant threads on Baby Center, The Bump, and others.

One thing I feel the need to point out - Amazon's registry setup has been frustrating me a lot in the last few days because it displays items in reverse order of the date you selected them. So if you picked your big-ticket must-have items first (like I did), those appear at the bottom of the last page. I wish they'd group things by category - I feel like they used to do it that way? Now when I want to go back and remind myself whether I picked out a swing AND a bouncer or just one, I have to flip through all three pages of crap to make sure of what's on there. You can at least resort it in priority order, but I am guessing most people viewing the registry will not do that.

Good luck to everyone with registry-building!

32. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@PawPrints: I know Amazon used to group by category. I used Amazon for my registry and loved it. I really liked that you could add things from sites other than Amazon and there was an option for people to indicate if they purchased the gift elsewhere. And that you could put a note at the top of the registry.

33. PawPrints

pomegranate / 3658 posts

@NeekieRose: I do love the universal registry option. I've added stuff from Etsy, Carter's, Gap, etc. Plus they do the 15% completion discount for Amazon Mom members.

34. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@PawPrints: Oh man, this is so super helpful - thank you SO much for sharing all of this!!!!! You are so on top of things!

35. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@PawPrints: wow, thank you for that round up! that'll be super helpful.
    i did love lucie's list but still found myself overwhelmed. thanks for the breakdown!

36. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@PawPrints: wow super thorough! I don't think we can do an amazon registry in canada... at least i don't think it would be worth it. The prices on amazon.ca for baby stuff are often higher than baby stores etc, it's super frustrating!

Keep in mind 2015 models will be coming out shortly.. i know uppababy did some major improvements on their strollers. the downside to this is you can't get user reviews...

37. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Banana330: do you know other places we can register? i only know of babies r us and sears and find them both really expensive. i WISH we could do target registeries!!!

38. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@loki: other than that it's specific baby stores. Friends have recommended moms to be and more and snugglebugz both have online and brick and mortar stores (toronto/GTA based and often have monthly sales on specific items). You might be able to set up some sort of online registry that lets you add stuff from multiple places. It really depends where people will buy you stuff are going to be coming from. Maybe see if there's local store closer to you?

Baby stuff is super expensive in general, we're actually taking a long weekend away in a few weeks to get a crib and mattress and few other things in NY state because it's cheaper and we can get what we want. But not everything is cheaper down there. A friend told me diapers on sale are about the same price and a few other things.

39. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Banana330: ya we often go to the US for big ticket items... bought all our stuff for bathroom renos there! we're lucky because my parents are buying our nursery furniture, my husband's are buying our car seat and we're being gifted a stroller. so the pack n play and that type of stuff, as well as smaller items, i'll throw on a registry. i'll probably do babies r us to make it easier on everyone because our friends/family live alllll over ontario! i just wanna put a note that says "THIS IS WAY CHEAPER AT TARGET" on every item haha.

40. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@loki: that's good you're getting that stuff! We're going walmart for a crib, cause you can get the non-toxic solid wood ones for way less there and hoping to get the matress at buybuybaby with a 20% coupon making it way less than in canada.
    even cheaper at target canada? Cause i find their baby selection dismal. but they still seem to have stock issues in most of the Toronto stores...

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee