Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2013 - Postpartum Chat

1. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@lawbee11: We got the walking comments all the time. People were telling us at 10 months that he'd be "walking any day now". When he wasn't, they all said "OMG? He's not walking yet? He started so early, he totally should be!" So frustrating. Now that he's been in daycare a few weeks he's walking all over the place. So good to hear that M is sleeping through the night now. You must feel like a new person!

@StbHisMrs: LOVE her pics and she is such an adorable little girl!

2. StbHisMrs

pomegranate / 3329 posts

@Lawbee11: That's so awesome that she's sleeping through the night! How did you night wean? I NEED to do this, omgosh, I can't keep getting up at 2am and staying up until 4:30 with her, only to get up and go to work at 6! Not to mention I can't get her to sleep until 10:30..

@.twist.: Thank you

I think we're getting both first molars now, she hardly slept at all last night, and has screamed her head off all morning.

We need to bottle wean, but when she drinks out of a sippy cup she spits it all down the front, and she hates wcm. We need to work on this.

At her 1 year well check she had a blood test done to test for anemia, it came back positive, so we will be starting iron drops today. She gets it from me.

3. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@lawbee11: I didn't even notice it was the same tutu! At least M kept the headband in her hair ;D.

E's not walking either. We were hanging out with an 8 month old yesterday can balance standing unassisted. Not that I'm comparing or anything ;). Then E fell backwards and clunked her head on the hard floor ;_;. Mother of the year here.

YAY for sleeping through the night, and conquering her gag reflex. Hope it continues!

@StbHisMrs: how did the blood test go? We were given an rx to fill at one of the local testing facilities, and I'm not looking forward to their keeping her calm enough to draw blood!

4. StbHisMrs

pomegranate / 3329 posts

@StrawberryBee: Really well actually. He came in and pricked her finger quickly, then she was memorized with the blood. The Dr and the nurse both told me that is how it goes for most of the babies. She didn't make a peep the whole time (took ten minutes to fill the vial), she wailed with the shots though.

5. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@lawbee11: Mine's not walking either. I'm not frustrated by comments because she's been cruising since 7 months old and I TOTALLY thought she would be an early walker. But she's just chicken. If she notices that she's unsupported, she will slowly and carefullu squat down. Yea for STTN! How did you night wean? I have to get rid of the 4 AM feeding, but I'm usually half way to her room before I realise that I'm awake.

@StbHisMrs: Oh, I'm so scared of the molars. I hope they come in easy for your LO!

6. lawbee11

GOLD / watermelon / 14076 posts

@.twist.: Yes! So much easier going to work on more than 5 hours of broken up sleep.

@StbHisMrs: @Grace: We night weaned by sending DH in instead of me. If she was just fussing we'd let her CIO for 10-15 minutes before DH went in. Sometimes she'd fall asleep on her own and sometimes he'd have to go in. He'd rock her for 5 minutes then put her back down. Sometimes she'd cry but only for a minute or two. The first couple of nights she woke up a lot, but it's been a week since we started and she STTN the last 4 nights. She was waking up 2-3 times/night, so it needed to be done.

@StrawberryBee: M has fallen lots of times...I always feel so guilty!

7. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@StbHisMrs: Thanks! wow, ten minutes. I wish they could have just done it at the office.

And yeah, we had unhappy time for her shots (they just gave her chicken pox vacc?)

@lawbee11: it's so sad...especially when they do that 'pause before the cry hits' because you know it's going to be bad! Then I think about concussions all night

8. StbHisMrs

pomegranate / 3329 posts

@StrawberryBee: Yeah, that's too bad they can't do it there. She got four shots, there were two boosters in there I think along with the chickenpox vacc.

9. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@lawbee11: thanks so much! We are leaning towards TG again! I'm happy to hear more success stories with spotting. I've had it go both ways, but I'm optimistic because it only lasted a couple days this time!
    Sounds like M is doing much better with solids. I hope things continue to improve. And awesome news on STTN, you must be so thrilled, relieved and hopefully well rested We aren't walking yet either.

@StbHisMrs: ouch on the molars! That sounds brutal! Hope they come through quickly. Sorry about the anemia but it's good your doctor is on top of things. Did you just have her tested because you're anemic? It's not routine is it?

@Grace: @StrawberryBee: maybe not walking at 1 is the norm because we are all in the same boat Once in awhile L will let go of whatever she's holding onto, and hold her balance, but hasn't tried any steps on her own. I'm sure all our babes will be running around in no time.

10. StbHisMrs

pomegranate / 3329 posts

@delight: I don't think it's routine and I'm not sure what prompted it. The nurse was asking me about her walking, and her favorite foods then she said well I'll just order a test (forgot the name) to test for anemia.

11. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@delight: I'm sure you are right, I'm just looking forward to all the toddling!

12. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@StbHisMrs: hmm...weird that she didn't get the boosters! Oh well, I guess I'm not complaining? I should really be better on top of the vacc schedule they have her on.

@delight: I definitely feel better knowing that you guys also have non walkers! I'm not in that much of a rush anyway.

13. Sapphiresun

nectarine / 2220 posts

@lawbee11: N isn't walking yet either, and I'm totally surprised at how surprised people are. She can cruise, and she can stand up from the floor unassisted, and reach back down and pick stuff off the floor, just hasn't set out on that first step yet. She's always been on the late end of normal for a lot of the physical milestones though, so I'm not too worried about it. I walked at 13 months on my mom's birthday, so my bday is on the 5th and maybe she'll be the same?!

In other news, I'm back at work for the last three weeks so I've been seriously absent around here. I've been so busy, just keeping my head above water.

Umm... we have all 4 molars, and she barely even flinched. I had no idea they were there until I was letting her share my ice cream cone, and she opened super wide to take as big a bite as possible. She's loving daycare. Today was the first day I picked her up and she didn't come crawling straight for me. Just wanted to sty and hang out and keep playing, which kind of breaks my heart, but also glad she likes it there.

Oh, and my baby that I tried so hard to do BLW with, suddenly decided about a month ago that she only wants to eat purees most of the time. Completely backwards... but what can you do.

14. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@Sapphiresun: How are you finding being back at work? You are so lucky that the molars came in so well! I think LO is working on them. Her sleep is wonky, she's eating all her books, tries to bite my shoulder and it's hard to know when she needs advil because it comes and goes. You are so so lucky.

15. Sapphiresun

nectarine / 2220 posts

@Grace: it's good! I really missed adult interaction and achieving something tangible at the end of the day. I went back to a new position that's actually much more challenging the I anticipated though. So they essentially want me to do training that's a second degree in my "spare time". So, I've gone from sahm to full time wohm/part time student, which means I'm pretty much getting less sleep now than when she was a newborn.

16. Alivoo01

wonderful olive / 19353 posts

@mdf106: Oh no on the constipation! I feel like DS deals with this once in a while. I can see him actively pushing, and when I check his diaper. Nada! I think it’s because I don’t give him enough water at meal times. When I do, it’s not as bad. As others have said though, offer prunes and other “laxative” types of food to help ease his belly.

@StbHisMrs: LOVE all the décor!! Your handwriting is so pretty. My favorite one was “I love to…. Talk ( LOUDLY)” HAHAHAHAHAH. This is DS also. I get embarrassed when we go out and he’s screaming, but in a talking way. Not screaming for the heck of it, and he doesn’t quite understand when I tell him “shh. Inside voice.” LOL

As for the molars, are you seeing buds?? I’m trying to find the source for DS’s MOTN screams these past few nights. He’s full on crying and yelling and I have no idea why. He goes back down easily with some comforting, but it’s so random as it just started happening these past few nights.

@Lawbee11: OMG! OMG! OMG!! YAY for STTN!!!! *raise the roof* AND progress on the solids – high five M!!

@Sapphiresun: What a tough girl for not being bothered by her FOUR incoming molars; and for being silly for wanting purees now. Whatever works for her!

@delight: AF showed up last week so looks like we won’t be preggo together! We were NTNP any way so I can’t be too upset. I think this month, we’re going to actively TTC though. Not sure how since I have no idea when I O, but we’ll aim to DTD every other day or something and go from there.

As for us, this past month, DS has become a lil pickier when it comes to food. He likes a variety of things to eat during meal times. Otherwise, he gets bored after a few bites, and doesn’t want to eat anymore. So meals like fried rice work out well since they offer a variety of flavors in one bite vs say spaghetti. So meal times can be tough occasionally.

He’s also walking like a champ. Sometimes, he walks as if he’s drunk. He’s all over the place and falling left and right!! It’s hilarious. When he plays with the older kids, he forgets he can’t quite run like they do, but tries anyways. This has led to a busted lip and numerous face/butt plants. Sigh.

He’s also learning more and more each day. After a day with my aunt last week, he learned to say “uh-oh” appropriately. He says “nigh nigh” (chinese word for milk) when he wants milk, but he also uses it when he’s just thirsty in general, even though I tell him the word for water when I offer him water. He doesn’t say much other than that, but understands quite few things and does things on command like clap, blow kisses, wave bye, etc.

He also still takes his milk in a bottle, but at least he'll take the milk cold finally!! Won't down the whole bottle in one sitting, but will take half at first then the second half after a few minutes of it warming up from the fridge. So hopefully we'll transition out of the bottles soon!

17. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

The constipation seems to be better, I think I was not offering enough water. I have also been pushing fruit besides bananas, especially prunes.

We have bottle weaned, at the suggestion of the pediatrician. LO's WCM consumption is a bit low, and he dribbles, but he keeps getting better at it. He still breastfeeds some, and eats a ton of cheese.

@StbHisMrs: My LO had low iron at his 9 month appointment, and the iron drops increased it quickly.

@delight: The iron blood test was routine for my LO.

18. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Alivoo01: we got our first busted lip friday night! heartbreaking!

19. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@.twist.: oh no! poor L! Is he ok?
    @Alivoo01: boo! I was hoping you'd join the April board. There aren't too many of us. Good luck this cycle! And it sounds like your little man is doing great!!

We had our one year appointment today. L is 20lbs exactly and 29 inches. She charmed the doctor with her non stop "hi!" And "what's that!?" I broke the news to the doc that I was pregnant, he confirmed with an HPT and had me call and book a scan. Unfortunately I can't get an ultrasound appt. until Sept 30th. It seems so far away. I had forgotten how much the first trimester dragged.

20. Mrs. Oatmeal

blogger / honeydew / 7081 posts

I am finding it SO hard to keep up with you ladies! So excited for all of the awesome milestones all the kiddos are hitting!
    @Sapphiresun: I've also been back at work for the last 3 weeks or so - its gone so much better than I thought! Sounds like you're doing well, too!
    @lawbee11: awesome that M is STTN! I'm still waiting for the day...its happened a handful of times, but never for more than one night at a time.

21. Alivoo01

@.twist.: I know right!! C's wouldn't stop bleeding for a while. And the bleeding would happen the following day also when he blew raspberries. I thought he had ripped of his top lip tie at this point. Cue panic. Hope L is okay!

@delight: Sept 30 does seem so far away! That's over a month away!!

22. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@Sapphiresun: Oh my word, that's a lot of work! No wonder you are busy!

@Alivoo01: P is picky with food too. If it's mixed in yogurt or in the form of a carb, like pancakes or muffins, we're good, but everything else is hit or miss. More often miss.

23. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@Alivoo01: I called and said I was a bit anxious and they had a cancellation next Friday! I'll only be 6+4 but hopefully I'll know whether it's progressing or not!

@Mrs. Oatmeal: glad work is going well for you!! I'm back at it next week after the summer off.

Who is still nursing? I'm down to morning and night now. I am hoping to keep it up awhile longer but I know I will feel rushed in the morning once daycare starts!

24. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@delight: That's good luck! I hope they can see something.
    I'm still nursing. After work and morning and before bed, and MOTN when she wakes.

25. Alivoo01

@delight: Yay for a closer appt!!!

We were done with nursing just before C turned 1. Neither of us were super attached to it so weaning went smoothly. If C was more into it, I'd let him take the lead of when to wean.

26. Mrs. Oatmeal

blogger / honeydew / 7081 posts

@delight: Hooray for an earlier appt! And I'm still nursing morning and night. She is SO attached to nursing that I'm not sure when/how to start weaning. I'll leave it for now, because I like the snuggles...but it will have to stop eventually.

27. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

My baby is ONE!!!! I took the day off work today. Paige's party is tommorow, but DH and I are going to take her swimming for her birthday.

28. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@Grace: happy birthday, Paige! Hope you have a great day and party tomorrow

29. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@Mrs D: Happy Birthday to Kate too!

@StrawberryBee: Thanks!

We got Paige to open a few presents this afternoon. It was so cute once she realised there was stuff inside the wrapping paper.

30. StbHisMrs

pomegranate / 3329 posts

@delight: We still nurse at night and the motn, I'm about done. She's pinching and I think it's more of a comfort thing.

Who has successfully bottle weaned? I thought we were until this weekend, she takes a sip out of a sippy cup and then proceeds to spray milk everywhere. I've tried two different sippy cups, she did it to me at work this morning too. This needs to stop like yesterday!!

31. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@StbHisMrs: hahahaha bottle wean? B will be drinking from a bottle until she's 4 I think haha. She knows how to drink from a sippy cup... and she does... and then she spits it down the front of her shirt. All of it, all the time haha. I have no idea why she does that. She loves drinking out of our cups, but she's a ways away from doing that on her own haha.

32. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Grace: Ah! Sorry I missed this! Happy Belated Birthday, Paige!

Can't believe the year has gone by so fast. Where'd the time go?

@StbHisMrs: Ugh. We didn't have bottle trouble, but we had boob trouble. I just kept offering over and over again with the sippy. Do you warm the milk up still? That's what eventually helped us in the end.

33. Alivoo01

@StbHisMrs: Negatory on bottle weaning from us! DS has no problem drinking water from a straw cup, but milk? HA! Like your LO, he'll inhale a big ole gulp only to let it waterfall out of his mouth. proceeded with omg! This is so much fun and funny mommy laugh. Sigh.

34. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@StbHisMrs: We skipped past sippy cups and went straight to straw cups. She let milk drip down her chin the first few times she had it (prior to that she'd just had water), but now she's okay with it.

Now if DH would just remember to give her whole milk instead of water...

35. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@.twist.: Thanks!

@StbHisMrs: Have you tried this one? It's shaped like a bottle and has a squishy spout and no valve. I know my LO hated the hard spout. http://www.newbornfree.com/products/training-toddler-cups/drinking-cup/9-oz-drinking-cup

36. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

@StbHisMrs: We bottle weaned, and went straight to a straw cup. LO would spit out a lot of milk, but I just let him, and he learned.

@Grace: Happy birthday to Paige.

@delight: I am still nursing once a day, but I will probably wean soon. I am so happy I have dropped the morning session, now I get to sleep in once a week. This is fantastic, compared to getting to sleep in never.

37. Sapphiresun

nectarine / 2220 posts

@Grace: Happy Birthday, Paige!

@StbHisMrs: N never took a bottle, so we went to the straw cup at 6 months, and had reasonable success. She's fairly expert at it now, and we also use the WOW cup, but she hasn't mastered that one for milk yet.

38. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

So ladies, I want to ask this, but I don't really want to make a thread about it.

Have any of your cycles changed drastically since you got them back?

Pre-Preg - My cycles were only really noticeable a day or two before my period (mood swings) and then major painful cramping on the first/second day of my period. I also never had a lot of EWCM. Otherwise, the rest of the month was a breeze and I was chill and awesome.

Post-Preg/Weaning - My cycles seems about 28 days for the first 3 and now this one is driving me nuts. I have had a TON of EWCM, seriously, it's gross. I have had bloating and mood swings and no sign of my period. I've had mild cramping for days. I'm quite sure it's just ovulation cramps and I'm far too scared to take a pregnancy test, so please no one suggest that! hahaha I just can't get over how much DIFFERENT it seems now.

39. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@Sapphiresun: Thanks!

@.twist.: Mine are different, but I figure my body is still regulating. Before pregnancy, my cycles were all over the map, then they got regular for about a year and then I had a long one that I conceived on. Generally bad cramps the first day and a bit od bloating. Lasted around 5 days. Afterwards (there's only been 4), it's been all over the place, between 25-60 days. Each period is longer (around a week) and much heavier than before. But cramps are way less, bloating is slightly more. So, I think pregnancy does mess with it, and it takes time to get back to normal.

Oh! And last month I had crazy amounts of EWCM too and it lasted over a week. It was nuts. But not preggo. Very long cycle though - 60 days.

40. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Grace: Thanks! Good to know I'm not the only one. I have been on BCP pretty exclusively, since I was 16 so maybe that's why I have no idea what my ACTUAL cycles are like. This should be interesting. lol

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee