Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2013 - Postpartum Chat

1. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

For those of you who have weaned and now give solids / whole milk, how much whole milk do you give a day? I give an 8-10oz bottle in the early am and before bed, then 2 3-5oz bottles for snacks. When we did her immunizations this week, the nurse said I was giving too much milk and to switch the 2 3-5oz bottles for solids. What do you guys do?

2. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@MrsB2012: I stopped measuring in oz's a while back, so I'm not sure what the conversion is. I give L 3/4's of a cup of homo milk 4 times a day. Once when he wakes up, after both his naps and one right before bed. Which is probably too much!? haha I have no idea.

3. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@MrsB2012: I've read that more you shoot for 16 oz and that more than 24 oz can lead to iron deficiency anemia (because calcium inhibits iron adsorption).

4. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@.twist.: So I give about 1/2c - 1c more than you

@Grace: Hmm so that would mean I'm giving a bit too much as she can get up to 32oz a day, though most I would say she's around 27-28oz.

So maybe I should cut out a bottle and give a snack instead? I just feel like sometimes she doesn't take in a lot of solids ( aside from fruit and yoghurt haha ) so I like to 'top up' with milk. Ahh so much to know being a mom.

5. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@MrsB2012: Or maybe always offer the solid first and then top up with milk? She'd probably take less milk overall if she just ate a solid first and then you'd be sure she wasn't hungry. Mine would live on fruit and yogurt too if I let her. Luckily sweet potato pancakes and mrsoatmeal's monster muffins are a hit, so I feel she gets some veggies.

6. Sapphiresun

nectarine / 2220 posts

@Mrs. Oatmeal: Such a cute cake! I planned our party while I was still off specifically because I knew the baking would be extensive as well, but still way underestimated how long the rainbow ruffle cake would take to make haha.

@MrsB2012: We're not totally weaned (still morning and before bed) but she gets two sippy cups that are about 4 oz in the day at about 9 at day care, and again at lunch, and if she doesn't finish they'll offer it again a bit later in the afternoon, so she only drinks a cup of milk a day, and I assume another cup or so of breastmilk still. But she's addicted to dairy solids and drinks lots of water, so I haven't really worried about it too much.

7. Sapphiresun

nectarine / 2220 posts

@MrsB2012: as far as pain, I'm not really sure. Definitely not constant at all, but I kind of find that it gets irritated easier, like if I wear a pair of jeans that are too tight, or thong undies, and after sex. But (TMI alert) I also still have one nagging hemorrhoid RIGHT behind it that might be a factor there. But I'd guess that yours is from your pregnancy.

@delight: Good luck selling your house!

8. Alivoo01

wonderful olive / 19353 posts

@MrsB2012: At our 1 year pedi appt, the doctor said no more than 20oz of milk as they need to start consuming most of their calories in solids instead. It's more substantial to keep them fuller longer. Otherwise, they'll be hungry MOTN and wake up asking for food.

We give DS more than 20oz because he asks for it, but he does eat a lot of solids.

9. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@Sapphiresun: awesome party photos! I love your banner of "month" shots!

@mdf106: oh man I'm so happy to be done pumping. We went to Cleveland without L last weekend and I pumped only twice a day and now. I'm not doing it anymore ever again. (Until next child!) I'm planning on weaning completely for September. I only am nursing 3x a day now: morning at wake up, before second nap (3:30) and before bed (7:30). I will miss it but I won't miss pumping! Good luck to you!

@MrsB2012: as for whole milk, I try to give about 4oz with lunch and dinner but she still doesn't love it. I'm guessing she has about 12oz of BM still daily, maybe a little less, and she eats lots of cheese and dairy. By September I was planning on doing 4x4oz homo milk a day.

@Alivoo01: great job on the sleep front! I hope he's been keeping it up!

@Mrs. Oatmeal: k's bday looks like a blast! Love the word count great job on the cake too!

@StrawberryBee: I hope the party is a blast!! Can't wait to see pictures!

And thank you everyone on the well wishes with the sale of our home! I'm happy to say it sold in one day! There was a small bidding war even, just like on tv and we got a little above asking. It's a big weight off our shoulders! We are off to the cottage tomorrow for a week. L turns one on the 15th but we will have her party on the 30th when we move to our new place. Hope you girls have a nice week and happy birthday to any of the babies celebrating in the next few days!

10. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@delight: omigosh, congrats on the sale and bidding war!!

Will post pics of E's party sometime today when I can get the high res from my sister (I put her in charge of photos...great decision, since the whole thing was a blur for me ;)). But in a nutshell: it went awesome, we had amazing weather, and I'm exhausted now.

11. Alivoo01

@delight: Yay and congrats on the sale of your home; AND above asking price? Woot woot!!

12. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

@delight: Congratulations, that is fantastic.

I think I am going to wean in the near future, within the next month or two. Of course there are a bunch of extended breastfeeding threads to make me feel guilty. I really feel like, emotionally, I need some time to have my body to myself before I TTC. Also, LO seems like such a big boy, not like a little baby.

13. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@StrawberryBee: Can't wait to see pics!

@delight: So happy you got above asking price! That is wicked! What a relief!

@mdf106: Don't feel guilty. You have to do what is right for you, at the right time. And the RIGHT time is when YOU decide. Not anyone else. I felt the same as you at 10 months. I just couldn't do it any more. It made such a difference in me, as a mom. I'm better off for it. Good Luck!

14. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@delight: Congrats on the sale and bidding war!! That's awesome.

@mdf106: Don't feel guilty! You will have breastfed for 13-14 months. That's well into pat-yourself-on-the back territory. Besides, there was a poll on one of the extended bf posts that said most people considered 1 year+ to be extended bf. That's you!

15. Alivoo01

@mdf106: Do not, do not, do not feel guilty!! No one knows your body or your lifestyle or your baby like you do. Don't let others ever tell you so or make you believe otherwise!! For some, breastfeeding provided a warm/fuzzy bonding experience for the mommy and their LO. For me, I never really got those feelings. However, it provided nutrients for DS to grow and I'm happy to be able to. DS didn't seem to be too attached to it either. It was great for convenience, but he took the bottle just fine also. You've already succeeded in breastfeeding past a year and that calls for major applause as that is not an easy accomplishment!

16. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@mdf106: I didn't make it past 7 months BFing, so kudos to you!

17. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

@.twist.: @Grace: @Alivoo01: @StrawberryBee: Thank you for your support, you are helping me feel better. I always feel anxiety during food transitions. LO is pretty attached, but I think he will get over it quickly. He is also attached to bottles, but I am hoping to get rid of them at the same time. Breastfeeding never fit my lifestyle well. Today I only pumped once at work, and I have so much more time to get stuff done. I am sure not pumping at all will be even better.

18. skipper2010

kiwi / 597 posts

@delight: Congrats on the sale of your house! How exciting to be moving into a new place as a family of three!

What are your LO's nap schedules like now that they're one or turning one? DS used to take his first nap exactly two hours after he woke up, but he's been fighting him morning nap for the past week or so. It's too soon to drop a nap right? Please tell me he's not dropping a nap! lol

Has anyone started TTC number 2? We were thinking about NTNP once DS turned one, but that came up fast and I don't think we're ready just yet! We'll see if a few more months changes anything. Can't stop thinking about it though!

19. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@skipper2010: I'm not sure what the nap schedule is like at Daycare, but I think he may only have 2 - 1 hour naps. Or maybe one 2 hour nap? haha I should clear that up.

At home he still has two naps but I've had to push the morning one a bit. His naps are usually 1.5/2 hours.

20. Alivoo01

@mdf106: C will only take milk warmed up and in a bottle. I've tried numerous time offering him cold milk in a straw cup and he won't have it. I've discussed this with DH, and he doesn't seem bothered by it so we're continuing to give him his milk warmed up in a bottle. Hopefully, one day, he'll decide to drink cold milk in a cup! He drinks cold water just fine out of a straw cup though. *shrug*

@skipper2010: We're NTNP right now! A surprise baby this month would be awesome because that'd give us an April baby. But we're not really diligent about DTD since I'm so dang tired every night. Plus, my cycles haven't regulated yet so I have no idea when I ovulate.

As for naps, at daycare, DS only takes 1 nap and that's from 12:30 till 2:30, which is when the whole school naps. On the weekends, it's about the same unless we go to the pool then he'll nap right afterwards. He's exhausted!! So he'll nap twice.

21. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Alivoo01: OMGGGG. BABIES. I have my fingers crossed!

And, what is up with our kids? L will drink warm milk, not warm water. He will drink Cold water, but not cold milk. WTF! LOL

22. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

E's not crazy about milk, but loves her water.

Just got back from her 1 year dr appointment. She's 20 lbs 10 oz and 30" long, everything still looking great! Had her chicken pox vacc.

The doctor (who was quite elderly--may be a good thing, since tons of experience!) started giving us advice on what to feed her. Fruits and vegetables obviously, but then he started saying that things like chicken, fish, etc (basically all proteins) no more than three times a week?? Is that right? Girl loves her chicken and has protein at least once a day, if not more! Egg omelets, rotisserie chicken cut up; heck, she even had sloppy joes yesterday (homemade).

23. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

Oh, and except for avoiding certain times of the month, we're completely throwing caution to the wind regarding DTD. And I'm not entirely sure we're planning for a second/fourth. I'm actually a little nervous for this month. We may end up with a (happy) surprise!

24. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@skipper2010: LO's nap schedule is up around 7 and nap from 10:15-11:45 (we wake her after 1.5 hours or else she refuses her afternoon nap) and 3:15 to 4:30 ish. She's starting to fight the afternoon nap, so I think we have to limit her morning nap even more. Once she's 13 months, she goes to daycare and they only do one nap a day. I'm scared, but I'm guessing she'll be ready.

@StrawberryBee: I'm surprised about the protein only 3 times a week. LO eats so little protein, that she gets it every day and sometimes every meal to get enough in her.

25. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

The good news is that LO loves WCM. The bad news he had it in a bottle. He takes water fine from a straw cup, but I did not want to use the same one, because it seems too hard to clean. He does okay with restaurant straws when out, though (with assistance in holding the cup). I tried another straw cup with a straw cup, and apparently LO was cutting his mouth so he bled. I am trying another straw cup today. I actually don't know if it was warm or cold, I forgot to ask.

I am planning to TTC in about another year, or maybe a little sooner, like June. I am having extreme swings between baby fever and nervousness about another pregnancy. This is part of what started my desire to completely wean relatively soon. Can DH be pregnant with the next one? I am more nervous about the pregnancy than the baby.

@StrawberryBee: I have never heard anything like that, but LO has not had his 12 month visit yet. It seems strange, though, I thought the protein and iron was good for them? LO has meat an average of once a day, and often also has peanut butter and cheese. My LO loves meat.

LO is on two naps still, but I think he could be okay with one nap if he had to. He has had a few one nap days, but not on purpose. The first nap is about three hours after he wakes up. Some days he takes two two hour naps, and some days he naps much less. Yesterday he had two naps, but for less than two hours of naptime.

26. Alivoo01

@StrawberryBee: The protein thing sounds weird since our pedi told me that DS should have it at every meal! We should "divide" his plate up into fourths so that his meals are balanced between protein/starch/fruit/veggie. We don't actually divide up his plate nor keep track of how much he actually eats. I just benchmark, he ate a lot or he didn't. Only thing our pedi did tell us was to limit his milk consumption to less than 24oz I think? We go over that, but it doesn't seem to affect his solids. If it did, I'd definitely limit his milk intake.

As for a happy surprise, eep!! That'd be awesome!!!

@.twist.: Thanks and yes!! C is the same way about hot/cold milk/water too!! Weirdos!

27. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@Grace: @mdf106: @Alivoo01: Thanks, that's what I thought too! We don't plan to follow that suggestion. A balanced meal sounds a lot more normal. We've pretty much been feeding her what we're eating, minus salt, sugar, or anything heavily preserved. Gotta try PB sometime

28. BabyMats

nectarine / 2031 posts

I just had to share. Today is my baby's 1st birthday. We are not doing a party but we are doing a dinner. But one thing I love is cakes! Here is his birthday cake. (Kano is his middle name not our last name)

29. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@BabyMats: Wow! That's one fancy cake!!

30. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@BabyMats: wow, that is freaking gorgeous! Can I come too?

31. StbHisMrs

pomegranate / 3329 posts

@Babymats: Holy cake, that's gorgeous!

Charlie turned 1 on Sunday, I'm throwing her party next Sunday though. Hoping the gift and cake will be on time!!

I don't have a whole lot to report, she still goes to work with me, we introduced WCM but unless it's her sister's she doesn't want anything to do with it. I nurse her at night only now, she has formula mixed with WCM. She is so fast now, she runs, and her personality is so much fun

32. BabyMats

nectarine / 2031 posts

@Grace: @StrawberryBee: @StbHisMrs: Thank you. It was delicious as well!
    I feel like this year flew by and he is already 1. How did our LOs grow so fast? I feel like I was just pregnant! Here's to many more birthdays!

33. Sapphiresun

nectarine / 2220 posts

@delight: That's awesome!

@Alivoo01:

@skipper2010: Nope, no TTC here for us. We get a one year partially paid/second year unpaid but they hold your position maternity leave in Canada, so I JUST went back to work, and need to work a certain amount of hours before I can get a partially paid year again. We're shooting for probably 3 years apart, so next time I can take up to two years, and go back to work when N goes to kindergarten (craziness!) and #2 is 2.

@StrawberryBee: Really? Our LO has protein at almost every meal, and has since she started eating since she always eats what we're having and I haven't seen any negative effects. Hmm...

@BabyMats: That is an awesome cake!

34. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@BabyMats: Happy Birthday Gabriel! That cake is AMAZING!

@StbHisMrs: Aw! Happy Birthday Charlie! Isn't she just so sweet?

@Sapphiresun: whaaaaaat is this about 2 years off from work?? This is Canadian law I did not know about.

35. Alivoo01

@BabyMats: NEMO!!! Such a cute cake!! Love it!!

@StbHisMrs: Her pigtails are too cute!!

36. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@Sapphiresun: @.twist.: I thought it was just for government workers that they could get the second year off? Not that it matters for me - two years off would make me craaaaaaaaazy!

37. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Grace: I am jealous, but not jealous of 2 years off. HAH. I, too, would go insane. Although, right before going back to work I started to get into a real groove with activities and such, but no no. ... no I couldn't do 2 years.

I am so fickle.

38. Sapphiresun

nectarine / 2220 posts

@.twist.: not sure if it's canadian law or bc law or just a working for the government thing. But yeah we get a year of maternity leave paid by EI but then are also considered "duty o accommodate" for an additional year, during which time we can pretty much do whatever schedule we like (full time, part time, casual, completely off) as long as it doesn't cause the employer "undue hardship". Being that I work in an office with 400 staff it's usually fine to take an additional year and they just shuffle staff around to cover your duties, and it actually works really well for giving others opportunities to gain experience in jobs they might want down the line. At the end of two years if you decide to return to full time duties you have to be reinstated in a job of "equal pay and responsibility" so may not get your exact position but isn't too terrible for throwing your career completely off track.

39. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@Sapphiresun: Ooooo! So I could go back and do my dream of working 9-2? That would be so cool. I wonder if my husband knows about this - he works for Public Safety.

40. Alivoo01

@Sapphiresun: That's so cool you can dictate what kind of work schedule you want your 2nd year off!! I'd totally do part-time/WFM!!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee