Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2013 - Postpartum Chat

1. Sapphiresun

nectarine / 2220 posts

@.twist.: Yep. The type of entertainment we're able to do has changed so much (looking for outings that don't have TONS of people and stimulation, that I can get there and back between feeds) and shopping is one of the main activities that fits the bill. So far I've had lots of people wanting to come by and visit the baby so I haven't left yet, but I think once my mom goes home and stops inviting people over all the time... the stores will be calling.

@StrawberryBee: My mom said she went to Carters before the baby was born and was remarking to the sales person that she hated being able to see all the cute non-gender neutral stuff and not be able to buy it and was told you can exchange their stuff forever. Like, even if she bought stuff for next summer and then N ends up being not the size I estimated - back it can go. Not sure about the lack of receipt though. I'd guess maybe exchangeable, but they'll probably give you the cheapest price it's been so if you paid full price for it might be kind of a loss.

@redsmarties: There was definitely an association between how much I was up and about and the amount of bleeding. I kind of just assumed it was partially contributed to more gravity if I'm walking around vs. hanging out on my couch/laying in bed.

2. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@MrsB2012: @Sapphiresun: awesome, thank you! I know that I kept all the receipts of stuff I purchased, but didn't really have any from the items given as gifts.

@StbHisMrs: good luck on wrangling five kids. Isn't it fun when your SO's ex makes things as difficult as possible? I hope you called her as you were walking up to the door

@redsmarties: @MrsB2012: hmm, mine has done nothing except stop and start (I'm 3 weeks PP). All they told me at the hospital is that I could bleed up to four weeks.

I'm super itchy "down there". Worried that I have a yeast infection, except I have no other symptoms except the itchiness, so I'm hoping it's just the sensation of my 2nd degree tear healing. Has anyone had a similar experience three weeks out? It also still burns sometimes when I pee : /.

3. Sapphiresun

nectarine / 2220 posts

@StrawberryBee: I definitely felt itchy for a little while (4 week pp tomorrow). It passed, so I assumed it was just like how any cut gets a bit itchy when it's almost healed.

4. greenebee

cherry / 189 posts

Hey ladies! So excited to finally be able to post here!!!

I am working on my birth story, I'll probably do a separate post but it's amazing to join you ladies on the other side!

Little Jude is doing very well! We had some issues with breast feeding in the very beginning because he had "transient tachypnea of the newborn" or TTN which meant that he still had a little fluid in his lungs from being in the womb. It's nothing serious at ALL (although my hormones and nerves made me burst into tears when the pediatrician at the hospital let us know he needed to be taken to the nursery to be monitored). He's totally fine now, (TTN is quite common, has no lasting effects and goes away on it's own within the first days) but it did set me back with breastfeeding. Milk supply took an extra day and we have an impatient little guy!

Luckily for me, now he is EBF and doing extremely well with it! DH and I are so thrilled, so proud and so in love!!! How is everything with all you Mamas? I haven't been logged on in so long I feel totally out of the loop! How are your LOs getting on?

5. Mrs. Oatmeal

blogger / honeydew / 7081 posts

@StrawberryBee: my stitches are pretty itchy as well- assuming it's the healing process. I think the last thing anyone needs is a yeast infection!! Hoping yours feels better soon!
    @greenebee: glad things are going better now! Jude is precious! Scary about the TTn, but glad it was just a normal thing that cleared up!

Does three nights of something count as a routine? K has been co-sleeping with us for the last 3 nights, and each time she's slept from 12-4:00, then from 5:00-8:00. I'm getting some awesome stretches of sleep, and I really hope she keeps it up! At least until the first 'wonder week' which is apparently on the way!

6. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@StrawberryBee: I remember being a bit itchy too. Although, I also felt burning when I peed and it turned out to be a uti. So, watch that, or even go get some antibiotics... The burning went away in a few days after I got meds.

@greenebee: hey! Your little guy is so cute. Lukas is doing really well! He had thrush, but that's pretty much gone (yay!). He is a pretty easy baby. We get up twice a night, which isn't bad. He has a lot more awake time during the day now and he can almost hold his head up full time! So close. He's also almost doubled his weight! We weighed him earlier this week and he is 9lbs!!!

@redsmarties: nice stretches of sleep! That is awesome! And lol, I'm not sure if that counts as a routine, but if it works, go with it!! Anything to keep you rested and happy!

7. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@Sapphiresun: @redsmarties: @.twist.: Thanks! I've had UTIs before and I'm not seeing a frequency of going to the bathroom, so I'm hoping that's not it. Honestly, I'm just lazy and don't feel like going to the doctor any more. Very much the wrong attitude to have, I know! It just don't feel 'bad enough' to warrant a trip there.

@greenebee: Jude is so adorable!! Glad to hear that BF'ing is going well now :).

So the last two nights I brought out the miracle blanket again, and lo and behold it's working for us right now! E slept in her RnP both nights, and this morning I actually had to wake her up to feed her. She had a quick meal at about 1:30 am, and the next thing I knew it was 7 am 0_o.

With her cord stump finally gone, I also got to give her a real bath this morning! Hello cute little belly button!

8. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@StrawberryBee: what is a miracle blanket?

9. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@.twist.: it's a swaddling blanket that takes the guesswork out of it

http://www.miracleblanket.com/index.htm

10. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@StrawberryBee: woah! Neat!

11. Mrs Hedgehog

pear / 1812 posts

@StrawberryBee: I love that! We swear by Swaddle Me blankets.

http://www.target.com/p/swaddleme-adjustable-wrap-pink/-/A-10199678#prodSlot=dlp_medium_1_7&term=swaddle+me+blanket

Its pretty similar. I couldn't imagine life without it! We got one before Kaia was born and started using it in the hospital. The nurses were even oohing and ahing over how brilliant is it!

12. Mrs Hedgehog

pear / 1812 posts

@greenebee: Holy Goodness he is adorable! Seriously! And I love that picture. Did you take that? Glad to hear he is doing well.

13. chanzi

cherry / 233 posts

@StrawberryBee: @.twist.: @Mrs Hedgehog: We have a miracle blanket, swaddled me, and halo sleep sack swaddle. The miracle blanket is the great if we don't want him to break out but the swaddle me is a little easier/quicker. I haven't used the halo one enough to have much of an opinion about it yet. All we need is a woombie to complete our collection of swaddles! Lol.

I successfully wore Ellis in the boba wrap out to breakfast this morning, and then again to mass this evening. He did great both times--slept through everything. He fussed a little during mass at one point so I bounced him in the wrap, and then he let out a big burp and was fine. Of course he had to do it during a quiet moment! Haha.

14. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@chanzi: I loooooove the woombie ! LOVE.

15. Mrs Hedgehog

pear / 1812 posts

@.twist.: where did you get yours? I can't find them anywhere.

16. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Mrs Hedgehog: I got mine at an expensive baby boutique. It's called west coast kids, but I'm in Canada, not sure if that will make a difference!?

17. Mrs Hedgehog

pear / 1812 posts

@.twist.: darn. No, we are in Texas...

18. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@Mrs Hedgehog: I have the Swaddleme as well :). Now that she's responding to the MB better, maybe she'll like the SM as well (we tried it when we first got home from the hospital but she cried in it). I know my husband doesn't really care for the MB; it appears confusing and makes mid night diaper changes more difficult. On the plus side, with her hands down I don't have to worry about battling with them to get a nip in her mouth!

@chanzi: wow, you're brave to take him to mass! I couldn't rely on Ella being quiet enough for that long.

19. chanzi

cherry / 233 posts

@StrawberryBee: The advantage of a sleepy baby, I guess! He's starting to have more alert/awake time, but he's still mostly sleeping or eating (and eating generally puts him right back to sleep).

20. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@StrawberryBee: I've been itchy at times too. It comes and goes, you're not alone!

@greenebee: welcome to the other side! He's adorable!

@redsmarties: uh oh when's the first wonder week?

@chanzi: good idea to use boba wrap for mass! I'm totally doing that next week!

As for swaddled, we just use an A&A blanket for now. I have a few swaddlemes and I really want to use them but she gets fussy when I put one on. I'll keep trying.

I think I'm ready for her to start tummy time on floor so I'm starting that today! She is having a lot more alert periods.

21. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

Oh girls, I'm losing my mind! We had such a good night routine going. He woke up 3 times a night but slept peacefully in between. The past two night have been hell!! He won't sleep for longer than an hour at a time alone. So I've had to go in and sleep in the rocker with him. Which, I have discovered is quite pretty to look at but not super comfy for long stretches or sleeping.

I'm exhausted!

22. skipper2010

kiwi / 597 posts

@delight: We've been doing tummy time on the floor and it's so fun watching him trying to flip over onto his back. I try to take advantage of his alert periods by doing tummy time, reading, singing, and introducing new toys/rattles etc. It's so fun watching him focus on and reach for objects and make eye contact with me. Looking forward to him interacting with us more and more!

@.twist.: Oh no! I hope you're able to catch up on some sleep today! Maybe he's going through a growth spurt? If it makes you feel any better my little man has been VERY fussy this week. I can't put him down for longer than 15 minutes without him fussing. Very little rest around here. lol

23. Mrs. Oatmeal

@delight: first wonder week is at about 4.5 weeks. But there's a growth spurt at 7-10 days, 2-3 weeks, and again during the wonder week. I'm taking comfort in the fact that K's awful day yesterday was due to a growth spurt (she's just over 2 weeks).

Has anyone found that the foods they eat affect baby? I'm wondering if caffeine and spicy foods make her uncomfortable, or if I eat these things on days when she's fussy anyways. Not really something I want to keep testing, especially because I hate it when she's miserable!

24. greenebee

cherry / 189 posts

@.twist.: Oh no! Hopefully, it's just a couple of bad nights and it will pass soon. Thinking of you!

@redsmarties: So far, nothing I've noticed yet. He is, by default, a little farty babe, but I think he gets it from his dad. Nothing that's really made him uncomfortable so far though. Fingers crossed!!!

Thanks, ladies! J is currently laying down for a nap in his crib for the first time (I have my ear pressed to the monitor!!!!). Here's a question, btw - how many of you ladies are using a video monitor? I only have the sound one, but I have heard the video is way worth it! Is it something I should look into?

Also, did your LOs feed on a set schedule at almost 2 weeks? My guy will feed during the day every 3-3.5 hours, but at night sometimes he'll sleep 4.5 to almost 5 hours between feedings. Is this normal, or should I be making sure to wake him up strictly after three hours have passed? He is pretty active by day, so I'm not sure what to do. What do you girls think?

25. Mrs. Oatmeal

@greenebee: I think that sounds pretty good. Some sources say no more than 4 hours, but if he's having a good number of diapers still, and gaining weight, I think you're good! Plus, the fact that you've got a relatively predictable schedule is incredible!!

26. JessKas

pear / 1693 posts

@.twist.: My LO went from waking 3 times a night to waking up pretty much every hour the last two nights. Plus she used to sleep until 10/11 but now she is UP at 5 am. ughhhh.

@redsmarties: I found that dairy caused a LOT of reflux with Avi. I'm sure other foods I eat are potentially problematic too. She was really gassy/fussy yesterday and I wonder if it was because I had beans the night before.

27. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@.twist.: sorry you are having a rough go. Hope this crazy sleep schedule doesn't last!

@skipper2010: Liv has been so sleepy today we haven't done tummy time. I'm hoping to have some awake time this evening. I have some toys and her mat ready to go!

@redsmarties: I haven't really paid attention to whether foods affect her or not! I guess I need to watch what I eat!

@greenebee: we don't have a monitor yet because she's still in our room. My DH wants to get just regular monitor but I'm really pushing for video!
    You are getting some great stretches at night! Don't mess with a good thing. I was waking her up every 3 hours the first week. Once she was back above birth weight the nurse said she didn't have to be woken up. I only get 4 hours at the most though!

28. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

So all the Carter's stuff is on sale at one of the stores near by. So Liv and I went shopping! Look at all the loot! I bought mostly 12 month size so hopefully it'll fit next summer. The lady said that Carter's 12 month size is like 9-12. Anyways it may look like I have a shopping problem but all this stuff was less than 50$! I should mention that today's the first day that DH is back at work so we needed a little retail therapy

29. StbHisMrs

pomegranate / 3329 posts

@delight: Wow, all under $50!! Amazing, I need shopping lessons from you, we were in Carters yesterday and I didn't see those kind of deals!

30. Sapphiresun

nectarine / 2220 posts

@redsmarties: I have the wonder weeks app as well, but am a bit confused about using due date vs. birth date. N was full term but 10 days early, so a month old today, but it says she's only three weeks. I wonder if she's really set back that much. Maybe I should read the actual book... Also, I have my own hypothesis that tomato sauce bothers her based on her possibly just happening to be extra fussy/gassy the three days that I ate lasagne/spaghetti, and I hate to admit it, but possibly chocolate. I had a brownie at lunch last week and she screamed all early evening, and today I had a chocolate peanutbutter fro yo with chocolate sauce and a brownie chunk and again we had a rough early evening. Tomato sauce is an easy give up since I barely like it to begin with, but chocolate is a tough one, especially since I was so looking forward to regaining my ability to eat it after the GD.

@delight: Nice haul! I went to Carter's for the first time today to do an exchange on an item I received twice at her shower Sunday. So funny that I had never been there before but when I walked in there it was like a perfect version of her closet! She was very clothes spoiled at her shower. I didn't see any deals like you got in there though!

N finally had her shower on the long weekend. Very well attended, and I'm glad I didn't really leave much practical stuff to buy. I still had the swing, diaper genie, next size car seat, solids eating stuff and a carrier on my registry because people kept saying people would want big stuff to go in on, but she got almost all clothes and a couple toys. Nothing gear-wise.

So we bought the swing ourselves today, and have been trying her out in it. I think she likes it... but she isn't totally sure what to make of it. We just got a travel swing that runs on batteries because we're super tight on space (800sq ft apartment) so hopefully it doesn't eat them too quickly.

And we had our one month dr appt today, and Dr. said she's perfect. Is now 8lbs 10 oz (up 1lb 1oz from birth weight) so she said to keep on doing whatever feeding schedule I'm doing. She has been known to sleep 4 hours at night (5 hours from beginning of feed to next feed, which I thought might be a little long, but really didn't want to wake her to eat). And in slightly more depressing news, I've officially lost all my pregnancy weight plus an additional 7 lbs on the scale, yet can't fit into any of my pre-pregnancy clothes. I went shopping for something to wear to the shower on Saturday and am two sizes bigger than I was before!

And N is officially one month old today! We did a couple little photoshoots with her month stickers, my childhood teddy bear and a 12 month size sleeper to watch her grow into it. We'll see if I actually manage to keep any of them up to do a little montage after her first birthday.

31. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@delight: Love all the stuff you got! Makes me want to go back to ours, but I've spent sooo much. I want to get her more stuff for next year. We're going to the coast to visit my niece this weekend so I'll look for sales there as they have wayyyy better stuff

@Sapphiresun: you just made me soooo sad because I totally forgot to take a special picture of B when she was 1 month old. I feel like a bad momma haha. What's this wonder weeks app? I should look into it.

So I had a horrible day yesterday. FIrst off B screamed all day unless she was on my tit. ( except when we went to costco, she was quiet there) She'll be 6 weeks on Sat and I hear they have a pretty big growth spurt around 6 weeks so I wonder if she's hitting that. On top of that though this happened. So in June, our cat who was a year old never came home. I thought she might have gotten eaten cuz there's lots of wild life around here. Well a vet clinic calls me saying that someone brought their cat in to get spayed but when they cut it open, it was already spayed. SO they found her microchip and it was registered to me. It was our cat. The lady told them the cat was hanging around and she started to feed it after a couple days and she just stayed. She said she put up posters and called the SPCA. Apparently she brought it in for vaccinations and then also for the spay. She tells the vet she really wants to keep her, but by law they have to ask me as she's registered to me.
    So they kind of pressure me to let her keep the cat, how she's taken really good care of her and is super attached and really upset. Oh and I have to make my decision in 2 hours as the cat will be out of sedation by then.
    My first reaction is give me back my effing cat. Then I start to think about it and how I've come to terms with her being gone and how I had hoped someone had taken her in and that she hadn't been eaten. The lady lives right close to us so I figured if I got the cat back and she got back out, she'd just run back to this place.With having the baby now and our puppy can I really give her as much love as she'd need coming back to a 'new' home.. So I let the lady keep her, but I'm so upset about the whole situation and really want her back. I don't understand how we were out looking for her for a month and she was right here, a block away. How we never got matched up at the SPCA and how they never checked her for a mircochip when she originally brought her in for vaccinations. ( uNless she failed to mention that she found her.. ) Anyways I'm super bummed.

32. Sapphiresun

nectarine / 2220 posts

@MrsB2012: Don't feel too bad. I only remembered because my birthday is tomorrow and someone came over on Sunday with a cake for both our "birthdays".

I'm having a "incredibly lucky" vs. "bad mom" issue. N likes to cluster feed in the evening a bit (usually will want to eat at 6:30, 8 and somewhere between 9:30-11, and then for the last week or so I gave up setting my alarm to wake her because she woke up on her own again around 1:30, 4:30 and 7am. However the last two nights she's gone from her last feeding and not woken up. Last night she ate at 9pm and it wasn't until I woke up at 3:30 feeling like I'd been sleeping for a REALLY LONG TIME that I went holy crap, she hasn't eaten in a 6 hours, and woke her up to nurse, but she was barely even interested! It just doesn't seem possible that she's able to go that long without eating, but on the other hand if she was hungry wouldn't she wake up?? She was at the dr yesterday and she's gaining about an ounce a day, so totally adequate, but definitely don't want to get off that track/mess with my supply since she's' EBF.

33. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@MrsB2012: that's too bad about your cat I'd want her back too. It's so nice you're letting the lady keep her. It's probably a good decision with the baby. I'd be sad too though!

@StbHisMrs: @Sapphiresun: the Carter stuff is all from a store called Bonnie Togs and I live in Canada, so maybe the deals aren't everywhere? I was shocked at the prices!

@Sapphiresun: I got those month stickers too and can't wait to start taking pictures! Your one month picture of N is so cute! You should keep incorporating that blanket every month. Like when she is sitting up put it on a chair under her. It's an awesome blanket! Also, it's pretty awesome you got a 6 hour stretch! I wouldn't be waking Liv up if I didn't have to. My nurse said after the first couple weeks you don't have to wake them up. However, I do see how it can affect your supply. Maybe your body will just adapt? I am only getting 4 hours at the most and usually at that point I'm practically squirting her in the eye or dripping all over everything!
    Also, I've been trying our little travel swing every day with Liv but she does t seem to thrilled. I think I should try putting her in it when she is already asleep to get used to it. When I put her in it awake she's fine for 5-10 mins then starts to cry. Same with the bouncy chair!

And here's a pic because it makes me laugh.....

34. Alivoo01

wonderful olive / 19353 posts

@delight: those pictures crack me up. Love em!!! Wish i could capture all of DS's expressions.

@.twist.: omg!! DS is doing the same exact thing the past two nights. He wakes up every hour at night!!! I'm so sleep deprived and don't know what to do. I've been nursing him back to sleep bc I'm desperate but he'll wake up an hour later. Have you found a solution yet???

@redsmarties: i'm curious if what i eat affects DS also, but i eat EVERYTHING so the elimination diet would be daunting.

35. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Alivoo01: he just stopped on his own! Which is why I think it was a wonder week or growth spurt or something!!! Although, since being on holidays his naps and sleep have all been off so I'm still sleep deprived. Ugh!

36. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

So excited to finally join you ladies! I have to do some catching up in the posts here tomorrow!

37. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

I'm here too! Mainly because apparently at 24 hours old, babies decide they need to cluster-feed all night long? Good thing she's cute!

38. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@Grace: haha looks like our schedules are off one hour! I'm expecting the nursery to bring Kate by again in the next 45 mins or so - then ill get to play with her all day since we don't get discharged until tomorrow bc if gbs.

39. Alivoo01

wonderful olive / 19353 posts

@.twist.: that's good he stopped. DS decided since I was complaining about him waking up every hour, he'd wake up at 1am and stay up until 5am this morning... Shoot me. Sigh.

40. StbHisMrs

pomegranate / 3329 posts

@.twist.: @Alivoo01: We're doing the same here, had a great sleep routine of waking every 3-4 hours. That's gone to sh*t and we're up every 30 min, 45 min, or every hour. This sucks, I'm so tired I can't see straight. The kicker is she's doing this during the day, and flipping hates the car!!! She'll be 4 weeks saturday, I need to get The Wonder Weeks book out, that's got to be it.

Oh and my oldest started 6th grade Tuesday, so we have to get up at 6am.. I am done. Beyond done.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee