Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

December 2014 Moms!

1. sandy

cantaloupe / 6687 posts

@theotherstark: don't be embarrassed - we all have different things that are important to us and that's where we decide to invest/splurge. I'd rather get the stroller I want that has the features I want rather than spending money on something I don't like and then hating it the whole time. My friends with twins gave us that advice - buy the stroller you want... We tried to save and get by with a cheaper one and hated it and ended up buying the one we wanted...should have saved the time and money by just getting what you want in the first place. I have the UBV and love it - the big basket is awesome for trips to the store

2. ustechie

apricot / 358 posts

Thanks everyone!! We're excited to have 2 boys and can't wait for them to get to know each other and develop their special brother bond!

3. theotherstark

pomegranate / 3045 posts

@sandy: Thank you so much! I've heard really great things about the UBV, and the big basket seems perfect. I'm glad you love yours!

@ustechie: Aww, brother bonds seem awesome - my husband is so close with his brothers So exciting!

4. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@theotherstark: Definitely get what you love. And put thought into it (which it seems you have). We got a Graco travel system with our first and I hated the stroller. We hardly used it because it was big/heavy/hard to use. We bought a Britax B-Agile a few months after she was born. I don't love this stroller either but it's worked for us. We just bought the Britax B-Ready because it was an awesome deal for #2. I'm back to a big and heavy stroller, but I know we will love this one. We have a bigger SUV now to accomodate the stroller.

I'm a bit spoiled in that I will research something and it might be pricey but if I love it and use it daily, then I feel it's more justifiable than the cheaper item that I never use. Case in point, diaper bag! I spent nearly $200 on my diaper bag for #1, but it was used exclusively as my bag when I wasn't at work for 2.5 years. I've retired it (finally!) and I probably could use it for #2, but I'm over it and want something different. So today, I bought the PPB bag that I coveted with #1 but didn't buy. On clearance for nearly half off! SCORE!

5. sandy

cantaloupe / 6687 posts

Today I have a regular check up with my usual OB who I haven't seen since February (when I went in to discuss my issues getting pregnant). He tore a tendon in his hand while helping someone on the ski lift and had to have surgery on it and has been on leave since then. So excited to finally see him and talk about everything on my mind - I'm 20 weeks today

6. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@theotherstark: My friend has one and LOVES! IT!!!!

7. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@MamaG: What a steal! Jealous!!

@sandy: YAY! I'm so glad your normal OB is finally better and you're able to see him again! It's always nice to be able to see and talk to the doctor you're comfortable with! And congrats on being halfway!!!

8. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

New craving: Scrambled eggs....... over eaten a dozen in 4 days.....lol

9. littlek

GOLD / squash / 13576 posts

@sandy: yay!!!

10. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@Adira: PPB is having an outlet sale online today and tomorrow. My husband is the eternal bargain shopper and he knew that was the bag I wanted this time around so he's been deal shopping for me. Many of the styles are already sold out, but you might want to take a look

11. Adira

@MamaG: Thanks for the tip! Which bag did you end up getting?

12. snowjewelz

wonderful kiwi / 23653 posts

@sandy: happy half way point!!

@FaithFertility: lol at least you're getting all your protein!!

13. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@Adira: I got a boxy backpack. I prefer the messenger style bags. I had a Ju Ju Be with my first in a similar style but it wasn't a backpack. I think the backpack will be particularly helpful with a toddler.

14. Adira

@FaithFertility: Now I want scrambled eggs...

@MamaG: Yeah, we have a messenger style bag as our diaper bag for Xander, but it's not the best quality and is starting to fall apart!

15. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@snowjewelz: yep making up for the past 3 months...lol

16. theotherstark

pomegranate / 3045 posts

@MamaG: Nice snag!! That's awesome. I've been eyeing their bags as well, and am hoping there are some at the Nordstrom's anniversary sale We have a few gift cards there that have been burning a hole in my pocket.

@sandy: That's great that you're finally back with your regular OB! And happy halfway point!

@FaithFertility: Ha, oh man. For breakfast every morning, I basically have the same thing from our cafeteria at work - two eggs scrambled with spinach. I sometimes add bacon too. So good!

17. theotherstark

pomegranate / 3045 posts

@littlek: Btw I've been meaning to ask how your transition to SAH is going! Hopefully it has been nice and smooth

18. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@theotherstark: My DH did find at least one that will be part of the Nordie's sale. I liked it enough and it was listed as $125. I was going to try to get it on Friday as we aren't Nordstrom card holders. If you have a card, you can access the sale early.

19. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@theotherstark: that sounds sooo good

20. Mrs.Lilac

apricot / 348 posts

The UB vista stroller looks really nice! My DH wants a jogging stroller as we are moving across for a park but I just don't like the look of the 3 wheelers and I really want a parent facing option which I can't find... We'll see

Went to listen to babies heartbeat today. Was soooo lovely. Really glad I got the chance. It's not even my midwife but my school has a midwife attached so she said I can pop in any time which is useful! I recorded it on my phone and can't stop listening to it!

21. Adira

@Mrs.Lilac: Yay! So glad you got to hear the heartbeat! And that was smart to record it so you can listen to it whenever you want!

22. missybear

grape / 88 posts

@theotherstark: I was checking out the Nordstrom Anniversary sale, and it looks like there's only one diaper bag... Though they may have more besides what is listed in their sale catalog The one that is on sale is SkipHop (so not the nicest brand, but more affordable, and seems nice and sturdy and well made) in a grey and white stripe with caramel colored strap and leather accents. I actually think it's pretty cute and am probably getting it.. for $40, it seems worth it to me!

Ok ladies.. I have a question. My in-laws are rather well-off and have offered to buy us our crib and mattress. I had originally fallen in love with the Babyletto styles, though now I don't remember what model I liked best... Anyway, I tried to find something cheaper than that (not that $400 is a lot, but since this was a surprise baby, our budget is a bit tight). So I found the Baby Mod Parklane crib from Walmart, which has amazing reviews and is made from solid wood with no chemical treatments etc. It's $279, so we could save some money there. THEN we went to Ikea, adn they had a decently cute new crib (gonat, I think it was?) not really my style, but it could work for $180. DH is presuring me to save every penny, which is frustrating.

Anyway, then the IL's offered to buy.,.. and now I'm wondering which I should tell them I want. Would it be bad to say I want a more expensive babyletto? Or should I stick with the baby mod parklane, since our mattress is another $150? Or should I go with the ikea (which i really don't love..)? I just feel... greedy for asking for a nicer one? Am I crazy??

23. Mrs.Lilac

apricot / 348 posts

@missybear: really hard to say. Maybe get your husband to feel out how much they are willing to spend. Most people have no clue his much these things cost so they may be way off in either direction! They could always buy the more expensive option and you could buy the mattress perhaps?

@Adira: thanks, yeah I wanted to record it for my hubby. Sent hi the video at work and he played it to his colleagues who didn't know was pregnant! They do now!

24. Adira

@missybear: I know that if it was me, I'd go with the middle of the road crib. It sounds like it's still a nice crib, but it's not crazy expensive. $279 seems like a decent price for a crib too. My crib was definitely over $200. Maybe you can just suggest that one and see what they say or say "We really like this one, but... it's probably too expensive" and then if they are all "Oh no no, we'd love to get it for you," then you're all set! And if they say "Yeah, that IS pricey" then you can suggest the Ikea one.

25. winniebee

hostess / wonderful grape / 20803 posts

@sandy: that's great!! Have a great visit!

@missybear: get what you want. My parents buy the cribs for our babies and I wouldn't get like a 2k crib but I get what I like.

26. theotherstark

pomegranate / 3045 posts

@MamaG: @missybear: Boo - I don't have early access, but it sounds like the diaper bags are mainly gone anyway. Oh well!

@Mrs.Lilac: Yes, I really loved that the UBV could be forward- or parent-facing. Plus I love that the bassinet just snaps on. And yay for hearing the heart-beat!! I will never, ever get tired of hearing it I always feel too awkward to pull out my phone and record it, but maybe I will do so at my next appointment

@missybear: We are looking at the Baby Mod Park Lane crib too! We're in a one-bedroom, though, so I really like that it has a drawer underneath. That extra storage is crucial! That's really nice of your in-laws to offer to buy the crib. Maybe you could do as @Mrs.Lilac: suggested and just have them buy the crib you want, and then you could purchase the mattress yourselves?

27. Mrs.Lilac

apricot / 348 posts

@theotherstark: I did feel a bit awkward recording it to be honest but glad I did. I did it really discreetly. You can't see anything, you can just hear it. Worth it though x

28. littlek

@missybear: I'd get what you want.

29. littlek

@Mrs.Lilac: we have a BOB and love it! We are looking into getting a double BOB and we have city select which we are going to get 2nd seat for.

30. littlek

@theotherstark: thanks for asking! I love it! It's great spending so much quality time with DS. I'm also loving cooking for our family. And I'm hitting the gym a ton!!!

31. snowjewelz

@missybear: I'd ask for what you want, since he offered!

32. MrsF

honeydew / 7283 posts

@ustechie: congratulations ! Brothers will be so much fun

@Mrs.Lilac: such a great idea to record the heartbeat! I would be listening to it all the time!

@littlek: glad that you're having a great transition to SAH

33. theotherstark

pomegranate / 3045 posts

@littlek: Aww, I'm glad it has been going well! So great.

34. aegie

clementine / 806 posts

**** we're having another girl! ****

35. Adira

@aegie: Congratulations!!!!

36. winniebee

hostess / wonderful grape / 20803 posts

@aegie: aw congrats!!!!

37. snowjewelz

@aegie: congrats! yay another girl