Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

February 2018 moms!

1. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@Meowkers: I bought a new pair of maternity pants online from their new line. Not sure if they are in stores but I would think yes? Also, I totally did the elastic trick on a pair of shorts yesterday. Lol.

@dominobee: not much you can do about RLP aisde form what others suggested. I've had it a couple of times but not bad yet. I imagine it does start a lot earlier with twins!

2. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

Follow up...

Maybe it's selfish of me...but I'm hoping maybe I can stay in my demi pants/fat pants only for the next few weeks. My SIL is due in early/mid September, so I'm hoping by the time I need more clothes, maybe I can just borrow hers!

I'm also hoping she has a girl, so I can borrow her stash of boy stuff. It seems silly to have buy many things when I have 14 nieces and nephews

3. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@MaryM: Doesn't sound selfish at all, sounds frugal! And yeah hand me downs make complete sense if you have that many nieces and nephews. I have zero!! But my mom saved ALLLL my sisters' baby clothes plus I got mine and my brothers from my grandpa (yes these clothes are anywhere from 37-27 years old!) So I'll really only need to buy what I want... unless they're both boys in which case I'll need more stuff.

4. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@dominobee: I have a few unisex things from when I was little (I'm really excited about these overall shorts that have cartoon chickens on them and say Hee Haw. lol)

But mostly my mom saved dresses and pink things of mine. DH was mostly raised by his grandmother, so he has nothing.

My SIL has five boys, so plenty of stuff to pass down! And I think we're the only people in our friend group to have a baby boy, so there will be friend stuff too.

And it's the first baby on DH's side (sort of...his brother may or may not have a kid, but the mother has completely flaked so he's not sure), so I'm sure the in laws will probably be excited to buy us way more stuff than we need.

And I have an aunt addicted to goodwill. I'm more worried about getting too much stuff than having to buy very much at all.

5. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

I had my first diet coke since early June today. I hate that I feel guilty about it!

But I was getting a headache after back to back meetings and am meeting a friend tonight so I wanted to feel better. And it's orientation (I work at a college) so they were just sitting outside, free, begging to be enjoyed.

6. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@MaryM: I've been drinking Fresca and only few mildly guilty about it. I know there are better/worse things and I am eating well otherwise.

7. Meowkers

persimmon / 1364 posts

@MaryM: I have one everyday (sometimes caffeine free). No guilt here. Nor guilt over the coffee, soft cheese, occasional sushi, soft serve ice cream, etc. Let go of the guilt girl!

8. CatchAFallingStar

nectarine / 2806 posts

@dominobee: oh my gosh- that's so weird.. I'm totally craving Caesar salad too!!

9. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@MaryM: don't feel guilty! I had an orange soda yesterday. I probably have a full sugar soda once a week or so. It's my little beverage treat since I'm not drinking!

10. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@CatchAFallingStar: How funny! Had two servings for dinner and more for breakfast!

11. snarkybiochemist

nectarine / 2180 posts

@dominobee: too funny I wanted ceasar salad a week or two ago I ate one every day for a week

12. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@snarkybiochemist: That's crazy! We must need omegas and calcium!

I bought my first baby-related item today. A cute piece of artwork for the nursery. $3 at the thrift store!

13. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@dominobee: adorable!! I need to get organized. I started sorting through DS baby clothes yesterday and realized there isn't much I can reuse. I bought a bunch of new stuff on Zulily and some on Prime day. Can't wait to get it!

14. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@dominobee: really cute!

I bought DH this onesie off thred up. He's a golfer.

15. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

Hand me downs are awesome. There are a ton of babies in my small, close-knit church so there's lots of sharing and passing along of clothes. There's also a great 2nd-hand store 5 minutes away that sells exclusively baby items and clothes, most in the $2-$3 range. I bought a pair of shoes and a baby hat, plus a bunch of girly cloth diapers.... cloth diapers and books are my weakness when it comes to baby shopping.

Sometime during Nov or Dec we are going to go through all the garage storage, which will be a big task!! I feel like for me, pregnancy is just an excuse to nest for 5 months. I'm already thinking about minute things like cleaning doors and pantry shelves....

In other, un-related news, a student of mine set off the fire extinguisher in the hallway right outside my classroom an hour before the end of the day. Due all the powder in the air and on the floor, I taught with a cloth face mask on for the last period the entire time wondering what risk there was to the baby. I wasn't brave enough to research it until late last night, but it seems it will be ok. I was in my classroom when it happened, and the door was open for about 1-2 min as I got the kids inside and closed the door. It didn't seem hazy or smelly in my room, thankfully.

Next week, my dad is getting his heart zapped due to a-fib, my husband is having sinus surgery, and I'm having my formal observation/evaluation. On the bright side (well, hopefully bright) my dr appt is Tuesday and then there's a 3-day weekend after all this!

16. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@DesertDreams88: that's a lot for one week!

My mom has had several procedures for her heart. The zapping didn't seem so bad. She had an ablation that was a lot harder.

Good luck to your DH! Has he had a lot of infections? I had the surgery 7 years ago and it was a breeze compared to a sinus infection. It was just annoying to not be able to blow my nose for about a week (but feeling like I needed to)

And on hand me downs, dh's bff has a 9 or 10 month old so they're itching to give us infant stuff. It'll be a little bitter sweet. They lent us some stuff for Our stillborn daughter that they'll be giving back. I really loved the bassinet

17. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@MaryM: my dad has had a Maze procedure and two pacemakers in the past 15 years, and he doesn't want any more surgeries. Thanks for the insight on the recovery/impact.

As for DH, ages 0-25 he had horrible allergies and sinus infections, and couldn't breathe through his nose despite being on a max dose of Claritin D and similar meds. I finally got him to a good ENT 4 years ago and lo and behold, the sinuses were filled with nasal polyps. He had removal surgery and his septum was corrected, and it made a drastic difference. This surgery is to clear away inflammation and partial polyps. It's not 100% necessary but he is less than $1000 from his OOP max so it's best to get done now and earn another 5-10 years of clear breathing.

As for the hand-me-downs, that is definitely bittersweet. Hopefully as the pregnancy progresses and baby grows healthily, the bittersweetness can turn to appreciation for honoring his sisters memory by using some of her things.

14ish weeks down, hopefully 26 more to go!

18. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

Officially 2nd trimester today. Woo!

19. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@MaryM: Congrats!

@desertdreams88: I'm also thinking about everything I want to clean and organize! Beginning to tackle it bit by bit. We're hoping to have a yard sale in September or October.

Need a bit of advice: I know it's acceptable to tell most people not to touch your belly, but what about family? Every time I say goodbye to my MIL she pats my belly. And last night, since I'm really showing now, it was an extra long touch and she was like "Bye bye grandbabies!" I find it annoying and intrusive. Am I terrible? What do I say to her?

20. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@dominobee: what would her reaction be if you told her she's rubbing your intestines?

Unless she's rubbing right above your pubic bone, that's likely what she's touching now.

We're having our floors refinished next week, so all our belongings are shoved into bedrooms and the garage. I can't wait to unpack and reorganize!

21. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@MaryM: LOL! I'm not sure that would go over well.

We are refinishing our stairs next month (one project that never got done when we re-habbed our house 2+ years ago). I think I'm ok to sand with a respirator, but my husband will have to stain and poly himself. Think I'm going to take the dog camping!

22. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@dominobee: thankfully ours is from water damage and insurance is covering it. AND putting us up in an extended stay hotel for the week.

Our house is so sad though! We're down to one couch, the coffee table, and a wall mounted tv. Everything else is shoved in rooms. And it's all echoey

23. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@dominobee: 7what 7what about aving DH tell her privately/personally that it makes you uncomfortable? Especially since the babies aren't really big yet, or able to be felt?

24. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@DesertDreams88: I thought about that, but I'd feel weird not being more straightforward about it. Like she'd know how I feel, and I'd know she knows, and she'd know I know she knows, and yet we'd never have discussed it.

25. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@dominobee: So interesting....I haven only had the belly touching without asking happen maybe once or twice with any of mine, and never by family! I don't know what I would do but I would definitely be uncomfortable. I'm pretty non-confrontational so I would probably just grin and bear it but be super unhappy about it.

26. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@bushelandapeck: I get that she's excited - DH is an only child so these will be her only grandchildren. Plus she's just like kind of a wacky, excitable person to begin with (like DH). But I feel like she's a little TOO excited, if that makes any sense.

27. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@dominobee: totally makes sense! Do you have any difficulty with her being overbearing (pre-kids)? I ask because it might be worth a convo with your DH about expectations for when the babies are here. This was a bit of a sore subject for my DH and I with our first because I wanted more privacy and he wanted everyone to have a chance to meet DS as soon as he was born (and then visit whenever). When we had our DD we didn't allow anyone to visit aside from our parents while we were in the hospital and everyone gave us space when we got home. It was a much better experience for everyone and we let everyone know ahead of time what we were doing differently, and why. Hopefully that makes sense

28. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@bushelandapeck: Longer response coming... but she already calls our dog "my baby" if that gives you any clue.

29. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@bushelandapeck: I would agree on this!

I haven't had living children yet, but was overwhelmed when DH had surgery to remove a mass from his kidney a year after we were married, and, no joke, 13 people showed up to wait in the waiting room with me.

When I've been pregnant in the past, I've mentioned to him that maybe we shouldn't let his family know when I'm in labor or which hospital I expect to deliver at. I want some time as an immediate family before everyone and their mother descends on us.

30. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@MaryM: my FIL waited for DS to be born and then insisted on coming into he delivery room before he went home (I delivered at 12:13am) and then he came back in the late morning and stayed in the room with us watching tv until dinnertime. It was awful.

31. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@bushelandapeck: Thankfully our families are mostly women. I feel like men would make it even more awkward!

But for DH's surgery, even his brother's ex girlfriend showed up. And then when the nurse came out after the surgery and asked for Mrs. Dh's Last name, his mother stood up to go in before she realized they meant me (her name hasn't even been the same as his for like 20 years)

32. Tionn3

kiwi / 680 posts

@dominobee: I've already had two people touch my belly and I still haven't really popped yet. The first time was after a large meal right when I was almost 13 weeks. It was a family friend and I said " that's actually my stomach, the baby is lower". The second time was yesterday at 15 weeks 3 days, and it was another family friend. It definitely weird me out. Maybe I just won't go out in public anymore. =/

33. Tionn3

kiwi / 680 posts

@bushelandapeck: Oh man. That sounds awful. I've already decided no visitors in the hospital. My family is pretty understanding (and lives 140 miles away) so I don't think they would argue, but not sure about DH's family (Who live 10 minutes away) they may complain a little...I just don't want them in the hospital with me. They make me uncomfortable.

34. Tionn3

kiwi / 680 posts

Has anyone else been getting lightheaded when they get up from lying down too fast? I took a yoga class yesterday and I was getting lightheaded from all the standing and bending over throughout the class.

35. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@Tionn3: DH's family makes me slightly uncomfortable too.

His mom thinks it's weird that I don't talk more than I do. She said something to SIL after visiting once. SIL was like, um, have you met Mary? I'm just introverted. I prefer not to talk unless there is a purpose. And her visits last way longer than what I'm usually comfortable with.

If my own mom visits, she stays for a weekend (because she lives further away), but I know we don't have to be talking the entire time. With Dh's mom, I feel so on the spot. And like we have to just keep talking. And that's just not something I'm comfortable with.

36. JJ2626

kiwi / 549 posts

@dominobee: That would annoy me too! I don't have any issue with confrontation, so I would just say nicely but firmly-"can you please not touch my stomach? It makes me uncomfortable." And then I'd just drop it and act like everything is normal.

37. Tionn3

kiwi / 680 posts

@MaryM: I'm lucky that my MIL isn't too big of a talker. It's actually my FIL that makes me uncomfortable. He's the big talker, and he says/does so many inappropriate things, it drives me crazy. He's also the type of guy that would bring a bottle of whiskey and cigars to the hospital after a birth...it's like...seriously? This isn't 1950.

38. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@Tionn3: i wouldn't be surprised if DH brought whiskey and cigars

39. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@Tionn3: @MaryM: DH smuggled in a bottle of wine for us to have with our take out the night after DS was born Even that 1/2 a glass was amazing after not drinking for 9 mos!

40. Tionn3

kiwi / 680 posts

@MaryM: it's chill when it's the baby's daddy

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee