Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

January 2016 Moms!

1. lauren0817

apricot / 369 posts

@MaryM: So happy to hear that your appointment went well! Baby size is so hard to predict - I know relatively small people who have had big babies and then very tall people with average or small size babies - who knows!? I also think it's funny how hard it is for doctors to even estimate how big the baby is towards the end of pregnancy - I guess it will be a big (hopefully not that big!) surprise

@kristinleigh: so happy to hear your appointment went well! My doctor was also very reassuring about the risk of anything happening at this point, but it is definitely still hard to relax completely. I am trying though! I think getting excited about baby stuff (like the baby quilt I am starting) and starting our registry is helping me to focus more on the excitement and less on the scary stuff

2. lauren0817

apricot / 369 posts

Has anyone seen the documentary The Mama Sherpas? It's about midwives that deliver in hospitals (produced by Ricki Lake like the Business of Being Born). I really enjoyed it (I told my husband that if it freaked me out we were immediately turning it off!) and actually found it very reassuring. I am actually not using a midwife, but loved hearing the different stories and experiences that the women/families shared. I rented it on Amazon - here is the link if anyone is interested: http://www.amazon.com/The-Mama-Sherpas-Susan-DeJoy/dp/B010ND0YCC

3. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@Kimberlybee: how was your appointment?

4. kristinleigh

cherry / 178 posts

@lauren0817: I'm using a midwife in the hospital so I'm so excited to watch! My midwife told me about it at my last appointment with her! I'll make it a point to watch it this weekend.

5. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@lauren0817: It'll be interesting between me and DH. I'm 5'3 and he's 6'4, so our baby could really be any size!

6. lauren0817

apricot / 369 posts

@kristinleigh: Yay - I think you'll really like it I found it really reassuring - I loved having a reminder that pregnancy and childbirth are natural and our bodies know what to do. After dealing with infertility and pregnancy loss, I sometimes forget that. There were definitely some happy tears (thank you hormones!), but no terrified ones

@marym: wow yes it really will be a surprise then!!

7. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

Ugh, just got my first maternity leave guilt. All summer long, some of my extended family and friends have said some dumb things like " Oh, so you'll just have the baby in January and take the rest of the school year off, right?" As if workplaces just give out 5 months of maternity leave regularly... And as if that wouldn't totally put my school in a horrible bind, violate the terms of my contract, and lose me all of my benefits.

Well, today I just ran into a parent of a student of mine this year. When she learned that I would be taking 12 weeks of maternity leave, her face immediately fell and said "Oh no, my son will have a substitute for 3 months?" .... and in 8 hours I have to break this news to 100+ parents. Ugh. Like, I know I'm totally justified in taking 12 weeks, but..... in education there's a lot of guilt and manipulation bc it's all "for the kids."

8. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@DesertDreams88: I'm a teacher too so I totally understand. sorry

9. kristinleigh

cherry / 178 posts

Ugh okay so I'm trying to word this so I don't sound ungrateful so bear with me..

My stepmom (well, she's my dad's girlfriend, but it's just easier to call her that) is doing all the decorating/favors and stuff for my shower in December. The theme I'm going with is "Winter Wonderland". I saw these cute little mason jars with hot cocoa mix and marshmallows and a teeny bottle of Bailey's attached to each jar. For my friends/family I thought it would be the perfect idea. I sent it to my stepmom and now she's like "That doesn't fit the theme... angels fit better..." because she loves angels. Angels remind me of the baby I lost because we have little cherub ones in our house in remembrance. I'm getting really frustrated because my in laws are the ones actually paying for the shower and I figured I would include my stepmom by asking her to do the decor instead of having the planner at the venue do it. And when I don't agree with a theme or something she is doing she gets very mad and resentful.

I just don't know what to do. I told my husband that I'm ready just to have the planner at the venue do it since they do an AMAZING job and my only reason for having my stepmom do it was to include her in all this (and she is good at decor and what not) but now it's just really getting irritating. I don't know what to do.

10. lauren0817

apricot / 369 posts

@kristinleigh: arggh family can be so frustrating sometimes I would give it a few days and then bring up your idea again - maybe you can include some sort of snow angel decoration on the jar itself to make everyone happy? I had similar issues when we planned our wedding - my MIL drove me absolutely nuts! I feel your pain At the end of the day it's your shower so if you really want to have something then that is perfectly okay!

11. JoyfulKiwi

nectarine / 2667 posts

@MaryM: baby size is totally random. My husband and I are a foot apart height-wise, but our first son was born just a bit above average (75%ile).

@DesertDreams88: I teach too and I gave it all an Eff It attitude for my first leave. I was out for 15 weeks & my sub ended up being a dud, but I didn't care for a second of my leave. I prepped well before I left; what else can you do? Giving moms guilt over their leave is a grade-A asshole move (we get so little as it is!) - try not to feel bad!

@kristinleigh: ugh that sounds rough! Can you just tell stepmom no angels because they're too bittersweet for you, especially at a baby shower? I hope she understands!

12. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@DesertDreams88: I'm sure that situation is really hard. From the opposite side, my aunt worked as a long term substitute and some students/parents continued to be in touch with her just like they would their regular teachers because they still formed that kind of relationship and had a good experience. I hope you end up having a really awesome sub who can make sure your kids still feel important and cared for!

@kristinleigh: Does your SM know about your loss? Can you flat out tell her about why you don't want angels associated with your theme?

Angels don't at all = winter in my mind!

Another possible excuse (if you don't want to talk about your loss) could be that you don't want to offend any guests that might not be religious, so you'd rather stick with a snow/winter theme that's purely secular?

13. kristinleigh

cherry / 178 posts

@MaryM: Nobody in our family really knows a few close friends do but that's it. I'm wondering if it would be a good time to maybe mention it to her, but she had infertility herself and a few MC so i'm afraid to bring it up to her at the same time. I like the idea of the religion aspect though. I think she thinks my hot chocolate idea is tacky or something and not "elegant" because she keeps using the "elegant" word a lot.. like hello I'm not throwing loose packets of hot chocolate in front of everyone LOL.

14. littlebug

honeydew / 7504 posts

@DesertDreams88: When I told my boss I was pregnant, her first response was, "Oh, good. January's a great time of year for our department. It's after the holidays but you'll be back before Summer vacations start." Yup. I totally planned my pregnancy around our department's needs. People suck.

@kristinleigh: Yeah, I would absolutely say that you're not comfortable with angels being in the decor because of your previous pregnancy loss. She has to understand that. Maybe an angel here or there to acknowledge the loss, but centering the decor around angels isn't ok if it's just going to make you feel badly. In that situation, I don't think you're being ungrateful at all. You're being a human being with feelings. ETA: Just read your update that she doesn't know. Then I'd say that angels don't equal winter, they equal Christmas, and not everyone is religious/Christian.

15. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

Or maybe instead of angles, could you find something baby related to attach to the gifts (like, an angel without wings?)

That way you're acknowledging her wish to do something slightly different, but maybe compromising on what you're doing so you're not offended by it?

16. Kimberlybee

grapefruit / 4997 posts

@lauren0817: @oliviaoblivia: Thanks, I am feeling a whole lot better this week. The appointment was a little bizarre (baby kept on hiding her girl parts too) but everything with baby looks good so that's all that matters. First things first, we are having another girl! I think she is going to be super fun and sassy. Here she is giving us a Thumbs Up.

17. Kimberlybee

grapefruit / 4997 posts

@mrs.shinerbock: @travellingbee: My maternal instincts for this baby was totally off, LOL! I kept on thinking baby will be a boy because it's been so much harder and different than with DD. It turns out we're having another girl!

18. Kimberlybee

grapefruit / 4997 posts

@kristinleigh: Angels also remind me of babies the are no longer with us. Is it possible to be honest with her and see what she says. She shouldn't be offended because those that have passed away are referenced as Angels all the time.

19. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@Kimberlybee: that's so awesome!!! Congrats!!! I LOVE having all girls!

20. Kimberlybee

grapefruit / 4997 posts

@oliviaoblivia: I am so excited that DD is going to have a sister. It will be so fun! We can't use the term "my favorite girl" anymore, DH loves to say that so we have to nip it now. LOL

21. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@Kimberlybee: congrats!! woohoo!

22. lauren0817

apricot / 369 posts

@Kimberlybee: congratulations!! So exciting What a cute picture!

23. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@Kimberlybee: and @oliviaoblivia: congratulations on your girls! Sisters are so special

@kristinleigh: I think the hot chocolate idea is so cute! Maybe you could compromise on the Baileys though (peppermint sticks are nice) and she could compromise on the angels. You could even make the hot chocolate mugs together, like bonding time... If you want that I know I have to have purposely plan things like that with my MIL and even my mom.

24. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@travellingbee: and @joyfulkiwi: I'm definitely trying to shake it off and like 90% of me is totally not feel guilty about my leave at all. I have been that teacher that goes way above and beyond, happily, for the last 5 years and it's time for me to take a step back. I think it'll just be hard to have the parent conversations because I totally understand where they're coming from, but I'm not going to change my actions one bit. I do not have very high hopes for my sub, based on the current teacher shortage in my state and my district.

25. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@kristinleigh: i think it's worth having a conversation with her. "Angels remind me too much of the baby we lost. I really want that day to celebrate this baby." Honestly I think as soon as you tie the angel decor to your miscarriage she'll back off. I think the hot chocolate is actually way more elegant than the angels.

26. mrs.shinerbock

pomegranate / 3779 posts

@oliviaoblivia: Congratulations on your !

27. mrs.shinerbock

pomegranate / 3779 posts

I picked up a cold this week and it's really kicking my butt. I've felt awful all week, but today was bad because I could not stop coughing. Combined with always having a semi-full bladder because I'm pregnant and week pelvic floor muscles - I've been peeing my pants all day! This is so not fun.

28. kristinleigh

cherry / 178 posts

I met with and picked a doula last night!! I didn't realize how expensive it would be, but it's important to me so it's worth it. I'm so excited.

Also, she gave me this free gift of the heartbeat bear. Not sure if you guys have heard of it, but I think it's the cutest idea ever and I found you can buy them online for only $35 too! Basically at my next ultrasound, I can use the little recorder to record baby's heartbeat and then put it inside the stuffed animal (I chose a monkey since baby will be 1/4 Vietnamese and will be a monkey zodiac!) so I can hear it all the time when I hug it I thought it was the cutest thing ever so I had to share!!

http://www.mybabysheartbeatbear.com/

29. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@mrs.shinerbock: I am so sorry. I'm wearing liners every day now. I'm not sure if my bladder is leaking or if it's extra mucous, but either way it was getting bad! I hope you feel better soon

@kristinleigh: Those animals are sweet! how fun!

I've rescheduled my anatomy scan. I was going to get it over with and meet with the doctor I don't like, but I have an important meeting at work that day. They fit me in two days later with the PA. 21 days until we find out!

30. lauren0817

apricot / 369 posts

@mrs.shinerbock: Ugghh - that sounds awful! Thankfully I don't have a cold, but every time I sneeze I'm afraid I will pee in my pants It hasn't happened yet, but I'm afraid that it might be coming! Hope you feel better soon

@kristinleigh: We met with our doula this week as well! Happy to hear that your meeting went well I am so excited about having a doula - she is so supportive and calm which I know will be wonderful for me. I love the heartbeat bear - what an awesome idea! I might need to get one for myself

@marym: YAY - 21 days will be here before you know it! Mine is on the 19th - I can't believe that it's almost here Hopefully the ultrasound will agree with the Harmony test - that would be a big surprise!

31. mrs.shinerbock

pomegranate / 3779 posts

@MaryM: Same day as my anatomy scan, but the closer we get, the more I am leaning towards team green. Has anyone gotten all the way through on team green?

32. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@mrs.shinerbock: if it were up to me, I'd be team green. But DH can't handle it and I know he can't keep secrets. He wants to know more than I don't want to, so he wins

33. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

Weirdest/cool thing this morning. I sleep on my left side turned toward my stomach. When I rolled over onto my back I totally felt a baby/uterus sized hard lump just below my belly button on the right!

I've felt for my fundus before, but this was way more pronounced! Maybe because my bladder was so full? Once I peed my stomach was squishy again.

It was a fun FTM moment

34. lauren0817

apricot / 369 posts

@MaryM: so cool! I've tried to feel the top of my uterus and don't know what I'm looking for I can feel where my tummy is firmer (below my belly button), but am not sure how to actually feel the top of my uterus. I am going to ask at my next doctor's appointment.

35. lauren0817

apricot / 369 posts

Is anyone feeling kicks yet? I *think* I am (I'm almost 19 weeks), but it is still very subtle and occasional. At first I felt very gentle flutters (kinda like popcorn pooping), but in the past few days I've felt something more like a strange muscle spasm. The first time it happened I kinda jumped a little bit - it felt so strange Now that I think I've felt something, I just want to feel it all the time! I can't wait for the big kicks that my hubby can feel, but I think we have awhile for that

36. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@lauren0817: I have no clue if I've felt the baby or just gas... It might be easier if I wasn't already so gassy!

37. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

No idea what is my uterus vs just my tummy, but I have DEFINITELY started feeling things this past weekend (16w4d, etc). I used to feel things down really low, but now they are halfawy in between my belly button and pubic bone. on Saturday morning I laid my hand on that area for about 30 minutes and I felt 3 distinct "pops" even on the outer surface! like you @lauren0817 I can't wait until they are more regular and DH can feel.

38. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

Reposting because it took me FOREVER to find it...

January 2016 moms!
    January 3: Gracecat (#2)
    January 4: travellingbee (#2) , Karen (#2), worrywart (#2)
    January 5: lalalove (#2)
    January 6: Mermaidri (#1), lauren0187 (#1)
    January 8: sera_87 (#3), civicMom15 (#2)
    January 9: Mrs.Shinerbrock (#2), smith (#1)
    January 10: queensbee (#2) :girl:, Mrs.Grapefruit (#1).
    January 11: pui (#2)
    January 13: Chitownro (#2), Kristinleigh (#1), swansong (#2), kimberlybee (#2)
    January 14: marym (#1)
    January 15: Joyfulkiwi (#2)
    January 16: Supernovaj (#2)
    January 17: MDF106 (#2)
    January 19: MrsYellowJacket (#1 AND #2!!) cvwood (#2), swoggette (#3), desertdreams88 (#1)
    January 20: Oliviaoblivia (#3)
    January 22: hiker85 (#1), raintreebee (#2)
    January 24: amanda88 (#2)
    January 28: bisous (#2)
    January 31: littlebug (#2)

39. sera_87

pomegranate / 3604 posts

Haha sorry @DesertDreams88: Ive been keeping track on my phone but was waiting til my ultrasound on tues to update.
    kimberlybee & littlebug both have girls.

40. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@sera_87: thanks, added those genders! I think whenever it gets posted, there's always a change to make soon after anyways! best of luck at your scan and hope the baby's part are realllllyyyy clear My OB had to kind of smoosh my tummy a bunch to make the baby show the goods....

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee