Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

June 2016 Postpartum Thread

1. catomd00

grapefruit / 4418 posts

@brownepiano: I think we are dealing with silent reflux,
    Too. Lots of grunting and wheezing sounds. Sleep
    Is not great at night either -
    Slightly improved using the RnP but she's happiest on her side in bed with me.

We don't have lots of Spit up, but wet burps and the occasional projectile. I keep debating if I should take her to the Ped to see if they recommend Zantac or just wait and see how it is at her 2 month visit..

2. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

@catomd00: no way would I want to wait until the end of July to get answes.and hopefully in turn make her feel better!

3. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@catomd00: if she's projectile vomiting I think they will be much more willing to give you meds.

We haven't had any spitting or vomiting for a few days so it's hard to know for sure if it is reflux or general baby gas. The pediatrician that I saw at two days said reflux but she likess to slap a label on everything. I'm seeing our regular pediatrician for the one week check and I'll ask more then.

4. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

Twice when I got baby boy up to feed last night he had spit up coming out of his nose....I felt so bad!!!!!

5. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

Is it OK for newborns to spend most of the day swaddled? Or am I messing up development in some way?

6. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@meadow: totally normal. My kid is only awake for 45 min and then back to sleep.

7. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

@brownepiano: thx. I started to second guess myself that it was normal.

8. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@meadow: between a big brother who wants to'play' with him, diaper changes, and feeding, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to get a sponge bath in. And forget about tummy time. But their wake times should start to lengthen soon. He's pretty much only out of the swaddle long enough to wake him up to eat.

9. catomd00

grapefruit / 4418 posts

@brownepiano: DD was 10 days old by the time she had a bath - her cord was long gone lol. I just do a warm wash cloth on her face/neck and bottom nightly in between. She's only had 3 baths in her 4 weeks lol.

10. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@catomd00: interesting, A's best sleep is also next to me in bed, not in the cosleeper. Lots of burps and spit up and crying. @meadow: my hospital said no swaddling so we are doing this without swaddling! So weird. I doubt it messes with development though. I think it is about SIDS if the swaddle comes undone.
    I remember baby acne but... The peeling in all the creases/rolls. Oh man.
    Also my stitches are killing me! Arghh!!!!

11. catomd00

grapefruit / 4418 posts

@pastemoo: I actually read that laying on the left side and stomach are better for reflux than on an incline. She does well during the day on her side alone, so I may start trying it at night. She's got great head control already and doesn't mind tummy time, but she won't settle on her belly to sleep unless it's on my chest.

12. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

So my nipples are starting to get blood scabs, and I have a fair painful latch. I'm pretty sure it's a shallow latch, so while I work on that how do my nipples heal? Do you keep breastfeeding and it will heal itself, do I take a break and pump? I'd rather not pump yet if I don't have to.

13. starlitsky

clementine / 795 posts

@pastemoo: my baby has a lot of peeling too! Is that normal and do we need to do anything for it?

@MrsKRB: lots of nipple cream! And I'm pumping because my nipples didn't seem to be healing with the frequency of breastfeeding. So now I'm BFing once or twice a day and pumping the rest of the time until the scabs have healed.

14. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@MrsKRB: Lots of nipple cream! I also used a shield at night and got help for a lactation consultant for positioning to keep it from forming again.
    @catomd00: interesting snd good to know!
    @starlitsky: I was told it is normal. Seems weird though.

15. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

@brownepiano: thanks!! Most of the time I feel like a factory for these kids and I worry I'm not giving them enough snuggles or paying attention to their waking. Just change...feed...put to sleep...repeat.

@pastemoo: yeah we have up on the blankets and bought some swaddle pods. And YES on the peeling. It makes me so sad!

@MrsKRB: I would absolutely look into a lac consultant ASAP. IfIf you have aetna or BCBS you may have on network insurance coverage even!!

16. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

Thanks guys! I wasn't sure if I sure still continue with the Aires. They're not awful, but definitely noticeable.

@meadow: I saw one at the hospital, but I will definitely call her back up on Monday!

17. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@MrsKRB: I'm not sure about the blisters. but for dealing with a bad latch I've found the football hold helps. That way I can hold the baby and control his head with one hand, and sandwich my breast for a better latch with the other. I get the worst latch when the baby is sleepy and not opening his mouth wide enough.

18. Alba4

nectarine / 2951 posts

@MrsKRB: Lactation consultants are the best (and should be covered by your insurance). They helped with better positioning, better pumping strategies, and helped guide us with dr and info re: tongue tied for LO 1. Side-lying is the best position for me right now.

My nipples are so sore with LO2, but since he is so big he is very strong, he has a crazy latch already. He is gumming a bit on my nipples, and it's super sore and painful for me already! I am trying to get as much guidance as possible from the nurses and lac consultants while I'm here at the hospital, but I imagine I'll schedule a home visit too once we are released tomorrow.

19. catomd00

grapefruit / 4418 posts

@MrsKRB: I would try and alternate pumping to give them a little break to heal!

20. MMcAlli

cherry / 154 posts

@MrsKRB: If you don't want to pump, get you a shield & use it for a couple days. I have to use a shield (inverted nipple on one side) and my nipples aren't sore at all. However shields are such a inconveinance for every feed (I'm hoping my inverted nipple will pop out eventually so I don't have to use one every feed) but it'll definitely help you out till they heal some

@pastemoo: my little guy is peeling too. I've been putting coconut oil on them at nights, it's seemed to help a lot.

Back on the reflux topic, my little guy got put on medicine due to it getting worse. It's a form Zantac & so far it seems to be helping tremendously. He is still spitting up but not nearly as much & often. He also isn't crying after each feed in pain. I am so thankful. However YUCK to the taste of the medicine. First time I gave it to him he gagged & threw it al up. I took it back to the pharmacy to add flavor which in the end didn't work either. So finally I came up with the idea to squirt it into my shield as he is eating so it's mixed with my milk. Thank goodness it works & he has been able to keep the whole dose down.
    On the bath subject LOL. I am so glad I'm not the only one who isn't bathing their babe all the time. He just got his first "real" bath tonight & hated it. But he smells oh so fresh.

Any of you trying to create a schedule? I won't lie I feel a little pressured to get my little guy on a schedule because all these moms I know have their kids on one. BUT I don't even know how to go about it or if i want to. Right now I just let him sleep when he sleeps & I interact with him when he is awake. Wondering if I will regret it later for not having him on a schedule.

21. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@MMcAlli: I put my first on a schedule and started around now, but I'm not really sure what I will do this time. I am just trying to survive two kids. DH goes back to work tomorrow but my mom came for 2 weeks. My toddler is falling apart.
    For now we are working on full feedings at night and trying to get him to sleep drowsy but awake during the day.

22. starlitsky

clementine / 795 posts

@MMcAlli: I'm not trying for a schedule yet, just feeding on demand.

My baby's umbilical cord stump fell off the other day. His belly button is kinda protruding so I've been wondering if it'll end up an outie. @pastemoo: I found an old thread by you about this subject -- what ended up happening with your first LO?

23. catomd00

grapefruit / 4418 posts

@MMcAlli: glad Zantac is working. We had a better night last night, but if things don't improve this week I'm going to call my Ped for some to see if it helps.

Personally, I don't believe in schedules for newborns. I prefer to follow their lead and overtime I find their own "routine" emerges. With DD, it was around 6 months or so that she had a solid routine that she put herself on and naturally over time it changes and evolves with her needs. Listen to your baby, don't fee pressured by what other people do. Every babh is different and you know yours best. I always say do what makes your life easiest and baby happiest!

24. catomd00

grapefruit / 4418 posts

@starlitsky: we have a potential outtie here, too!

25. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

I've been using breast milk and earth mama nipple balm on my nipples which seem to have helped a ton with the sores, knock on wood I won't need to try anything else.

@MMcAlli: I don't plan on using a schedule, just following dd's lead.

How are the postpartum hormones? My milk came in today and with it a lot of random crying and some anxiety around sundown. Hopefully it stays manageable!

26. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

@MrsKRB: amazing the power of breast milk to heal!!!!

27. Alba4

nectarine / 2951 posts

@MrsKRB: my milk just came in tonight and even after an hour feed, they still feel so full. I totally get the nighttime anxiety feeling!

How long did it take your engorged breasts to regulate out to normal? I can't remember with LO1.

28. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@Alba4: it's taken me about 3 days. I still have some lumps from engorgement in one that I am trying work out but I'm mostly back to normal. I thought it would take less time, it's felt like forever! Ice packs were my best friend for a few nights.

29. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@Alba4: yea my boobs are hurting from the enforcement too!

@brownepiano: I actually didn't know the engorged feeling would go away

Are we all awake for nighttime feeds? Haha!

30. starlitsky

clementine / 795 posts

@catomd00: Seems like we might not know for a while? We'll see I guess!

@Alba4: it took 2-3 days for the engorgement to go away for me.

@MrsKRB: i'm awake for my nighttime feed! Lol it's 4 am over here.

31. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

Baby did a 4 1/2 hour stretch between feedings tonight! Too bad I didn't go to bed for the night at 7 like him.

32. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

Ok so you always hear about little boys peeing during diaper changes....but man...my little girl pees mid diaper change at.least 10x more often than DS! Soaks everything!!!!!!

33. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@brownepiano: that's great! Is it ok for them to go that long between feelings? Asking because dd sleeps well at night and I usually wake her up to eat, but if I don't have to...

@meadow: haha that's funny you should say that, dh was changing dd and she was pooping and peeing everywhere 😂

34. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@MrsKRB: I've heard you shouldn't let them sleep more than 5 hours at night without waking to eat, at least at first. That's what I go by. Since I'm not worried about milk production or the baby gaining weight (he's already past his birth weight) I just let him sleep as long as he wants at night. During the day i don't let him go much longer than 3 hours without eating because I'd rather he get his fill during the day. There's a lot of different thoughts on this though.

35. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@brownepiano: gotcha! Hopefully at my next ped appt I'll get the go ahead to let her sleep longer.

36. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@brownepiano: if baby A would sleep 5 hours, i wouldn't mess with it!! she's already almost 9 lbs (8lbs at birth, 2 weeks old)

37. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@meadow: hahahahah, yes! i didn't even realize it was happening because there was no spout.

38. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

So this is weird, and if it doesn't start getting better like tomorrow, I'm going back to the OB. I have this pain in my butt, like right in the middle of it, worse with walking. I know I'm overdoing it but I have school this week and can't really avoid it. I don't know if it is muscular or something else--espeically since it really started so long after birth. Ugh.

39. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@pastemoo: that's really strange! No advice though

40. catomd00

grapefruit / 4418 posts

@pastemoo: on one side or the other? Or between the cheeks? After DD1, I had pretty bad pain on the butt bone on my left side and it radiated inward toward my leg crease. Everything was out of alignment, which is why I was having the pain...

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee