Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

<3 February 2015 Mamas <3

1. Aria

persimmon / 1121 posts

@Mrs. Lion: I'm sorry you're in such a difficult position, the waiting for something like that must be so hard. It sounds like your odds are still very good, so I'll be hoping everything turns out well for you.

We went to visit my ILs this weekend and I had to tell my MIL to stop touching my belly, which was awkward, but I'm glad I did. It just makes me so uncomfortable, especially since we're not close. Also, their reaction to finding out we're having a girl was less than stellar. The first words out of my FIL's mouth were "Well you still have time (to have a boy)". I never expect a super excited reaction from them, but a congratulations first would have been nice.

2. Mrs. Lion

blogger / grapefruit / 4836 posts

@Aria: thanks

And omg. I woluld have been so so angry. That is so incredibly rude and inappropriate. Im so sorry

3. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@Aria: Oh my… that reaction makes my blood boil just hearing about it. Between that and the belly touching, I go back to what I feel like what I'm always saying in regards to pregnancy -- what is wrong with people!?! I am so sorry.

4. mrs. tictactoe

blogger / pomegranate / 3201 posts

@Mrs. Lion: Lots of hugs!!

@Aria: RUDE!! Some people...

5. marzipan

grape / 87 posts

@loopedd: so glad you got a good report from the high risk doc! Congrats!

6. maddyz

persimmon / 1270 posts

I am tentatively starting to register and finding it so intimidating! I dont want to register for very much stuff and I would like to pull from a few different stores. Have any of you found a nice way to do this? I would also like to ask for gently used clothing. Has anyone found a way to manage hand-me-downs?

I was terrible at our wedding registry too... asking for things makes me feel funny but I also see the point in directing peoples good will to things that I will actually use. And I LOVE giving friends gifts when they have big life transitions.

7. mrs. tictactoe

@maddyz: For my first, I used amazon and babies r us. You could also use baby list, which pulls from any store.

I didn't ask for hand me downs, but we got SO MANY. I was actually overwhelmed by it when I was pregnant, but now I'm so glad we have them. Liam still wears many of the hand me downs and he's 2.5! I organized them by size and labeled the boxes so I would be able to pull them out as he grew. I also weeded them out - getting rid of things that were stained or that I didn't like. I donated the stuff I didn't want.

8. Mrs. Rabbit

blogger / clementine / 750 posts

@maddyz: ditto Amazon. We lived overseas for my last pregnancy and i loved that I could "shop" anywhere and add it to my amazon registry!

9. AnneBird

olive / 67 posts

@maddyz: I know what you mean about asking for gifts! It almost makes me feel like I'm imposing on people... And now that I'm adding stuff to my registry (I second Babylist! We've found it to be super user friendly!), I also feel funny about asking for certain things that may be the more expensive option available.

For example: the changing pad. We registered for a wipeable changing pad that's $80 (the Keekaroo peanut) instead of a $40 pad, and three $15 covers... but I feel like I need to explain/justify my thought process to others, because I'm already asking for gifts, so why would i register for expensive stuff on top of already asking people to buy me stuff for a baby that I wanted to have?!

Ugh--I realize that registries are supposed to be helpful to friends and family, but they stress me out a bit.

10. ndepet

pea / 24 posts

@annebird: i registered for the keekaroo too!! its honestly one of the things I'm most excited about! I felt the same way though- kind of bad for asking for an 80 dollar changing pad. Then I decided, that I should ask for what I want! If I don't get it i will buy it myself!

11. Mrs. Lion

@ndepet: @AnneBird: i wouldn't worry about the prices of what you register for. I think most people having babies right now know that parents get a "completion discount" on anything that doesn't get purchased. If you get comments from family you could just tell them that. I would just make sure there are plenty of reasonably priced items on there in the $20-30 range) or people will go off registry and buy clothes that they like instead.

12. mrs. tictactoe

I agree with @Mrs. Lion: that you should just register for what you want. It will all work out in the end, even if you don't end up with the expensive changing pad. But you might get lucky and someone might buy it for you!

13. HeartAbandoned

clementine / 933 posts

@maddyz: I look at the registry as a "Wish List" rather than an "Expected Gifts List."

This is a totally random comparison, but when I first started using Pinterest, I felt all this pressure when I would Pin something; like if I Pinned it, I was committing to making/crafting/building/buying it. Then I realized that was silly, and it was just a place to save things that I liked! That's sort of the approach I've taken to my registry - I don't expect someone to buy me the $250 mamaRoo, but I'd love to have it, so if someone gets it for me, great! If not, I'll get a completion discount and I can use a 20% off coupon.

I took this approach to my wedding registry, too, and while I didn't get the KitchenAid stand mixer, I did get a gorgeous chip & dip server that I would have never bought for myself (too expensive) and that I love!

14. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@maddyz: I get the registry anxiety. Mine is more that I worry that someone is going to say "Oh you don't need THAT! That's a waste of money, get this instead!" (Because people seem to do that about every baby item on earth!) However, I agree with other ladies that you should get whatever you like. Someone will always have something to say about it

Looks like my registry is going to get some action -- my MIL sent shower invites this weekend (she is a super early bird and couldn't contain herself!). I guess she's going along with our woodland nursery theme for the shower. I had to share the invites with you guys -- perhaps the cutest mail I have ever received!

15. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@loopedd: that's the cutest invite I've ever seen!

16. Mrs. Lion

@loopedd: so adorable!! Eek!

17. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@MrsB2012: @Mrs. Lion: Thanks!! It was the envelope gnome that got me the most

18. dagret

grapefruit / 4235 posts

We found out the gender last week but waited until this Sunday to reveal - we had a surprise 60th birthday party for my MIL.

I wrapped up baby clothes as her "present." It's a girl! She cried, my mom cried, everyone is so excited for us. My parents have 2 sons and 2 grandsons and DH's parents have 3 sons and 3 grandsons. And DH's family has had 5 baby boys born in a row.

It seems so surreal to think of the baby as "her" and hear L say "baby sister." we feel so lucky to have one of each!

19. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@dagret: That is SO sweet. What a great reveal! So happy for you and the whole family

20. MrsMccarthy

honeydew / 7295 posts

@dagret: aw congratulations on a healthy baby girl!

21. Aria

persimmon / 1121 posts

@dagret: What a great reaction from your family. Congrats on your baby girl!

@loopedd: Such cute invites!

22. mrs. tictactoe

@loopedd: so cute!!

@dagret: congrats!!

23. Mrs. Rabbit

blogger / clementine / 750 posts

@dagret: Yay for a girl!!! So exciting!

@loopedd: baby showers are so fun!! That's awesome that your MIL is so into it

24. Circusbee

apricot / 390 posts

@loopedd: Love them! And those stamps are adorable!!

@dagret: Congrats! So exciting to have one of each!

25. HeartAbandoned

clementine / 933 posts

@loopedd: Those are adorable! Love it!!

26. HeartAbandoned

clementine / 933 posts

Congrats on your baby girl, @dagret: !

February 2015 Mamas
    February 3rd: LilJane (#2 )
    February 5th: Mrs. Detour (#1 )
    February 6th: Swedishfish (#2 ), Mrs. Coral (#1 ), Mtex14 (#1 )
    February 7th: MrsTal (#1 ), Autumn865 (#2), Mrs. Rabbit (#2 )
    February 8th: Caitlanc (#2)
    February 9th: MrsB2012 (#2 )
    February 11th: Marzipan (#2 ), ndepet (#1 )
    February 12th: HeartAbandoned (#1 ), newatthis (#1 and #2), reyorra (#2 )
    February 13th: TheFixIts (#2 and #3 )
    February 14th: Aria (#1 ), AnneBird (#1 )
    February 15th: Baby2Feb15 (#2)
    February 16th: Kbee (#1 ), Blueheron (#1), Jruess (#2 ), Iced Tea (#1 ), Callalillylove (#1)
    February 17th: Circusbee (#1 )
    February 18th: GreeneB2 (#1 )
    February 20th: Lone Palm (#2)
    February 23rd: Dagret (#2 ), maddyz (#1 )
    February 24th: Mrs. Tictactoe (#2 ), cmomma17 (#2 )
    February 25th: Sugarmammary (#1)
    February 26th: Abdubbs (#1 and #2 )
    February 27th: MsMiranda (#2 ), Mrs. Lion (#2 ), Loopedd (#1 )
    February 28th: Beanie132 (#1 )
    March 1st: Intotheocean (#2)
    March 8th: scg00387 (#2 )

27. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@Mrs. Rabbit: She is really too much, in the best way

Our list looks amazing! If I'm counting right, I see 13 , 14 , and 5 . Pretty even odds!

How is everyone doing?? It's sooo rainy and gloomy here and I'm trying not to let it bum me out!

28. Circusbee

apricot / 390 posts

@loopedd: I am having a seriously distracted day. I just want to curl up on the couch with a cup of hot chocolate (extra whipped cream!!), watch Gilmore Girls and feel my baby boy moving around. I could do that ALL DAY and be perfectly content

29. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@Circusbee: That. sounds. perfect. Sign me up!!

30. Beanie132

cherry / 102 posts

i got stuck out in the pouring rain at a site visit and got to run home before heading to the office to find my hubby prepping to paint the baby's room! exciting times ...except for being soaked

31. Mrs. Detour

apricot / 251 posts

@Circusbee: me too. I am so in love with all the little kicks.

32. HeartAbandoned

clementine / 933 posts

@Circusbee: That sounds like the most perfect day ever. Let's all do that tomorrow!

33. Circusbee

apricot / 390 posts

@HeartAbandoned: Can we? Can you guys call into work for me and tell them I'm sick?? Hahahahah

34. Circusbee

apricot / 390 posts

Hi everyone! Board's been quiet for a few days, I hope all is well with you ladies!

I kind of feel like I'm just complaining, but it's hard to talk about in real life, so I'm doing it here instead. Are any of you guys really stressing out lately? I feel like life is becoming totally unmanageable, but not too much has changed from before. Is this a pregnancy thing? It just seems like before I was pregnant, I could have totally handled everything just fine, but now it's causing so much anxiety and a lot of things seem to be falling through the cracks. I also tried to do a rough budget estimate for once I'm on leave and I just cannot see how it's going to work. I'm trying to figure out what commitments I can let go of, but they all either seem necessary or like I have to wait awhile to quit. Are any of you feeling overwhelmed like this?

35. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@Circusbee: Hi there! Was just thinking it was quiet around here. Happy Monday It's chilly today, which is making me thinking winter is right about the corner, along with our babies!

I'm sorry you're feeling stressed, but I know exactly how you feel. My stress is around feeling like I'm not eating healthfully enough, though I genuinely do feel like I'm doing the best I can at this point. It just seems like I don't know how to relax about it!. I've been trying to be positive but I have to really talk myself into it.

As for your leave -- are you covered by FMLA? What's your ideal leave situation?

36. Aria

persimmon / 1121 posts

I hope everyone had a good weekend!

@Circusbee: Don't worry about complaining, we're here to listen! I'm sorry you're feeling so overwhelmed. No advice to offer you unfortunately, just hugs. I hope things start to get better for you.

@loopedd: I feel this way too lately. My glucose test is coming up soon and I really want to make sure I pass. It's hard eating well all the time though!

I'm feeling pretty crappy today. I caught a cold from DH and for some reason my back is so sore I can't find a position that is comfortable for long enough to fall asleep. On the plus side, we painted the nursery this weekend, and I love the color! We hung the curtains and finally laid out the rug. No furniture yet, but it's really starting to like a nursery. I love going in there!

37. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@Aria: Yes, it's the upcoming glucose test that reignited this worry!! Sorry about your cold and sore back. Sleep is a new issue for me too. It seems like every night is a parade back and forth to the bathroom, followed by having to fall back asleep to DH's snores....

Oh and share that paint color on the nursery thread!

38. Circusbee

apricot / 390 posts

@loopedd: Yes, the eating well is part of it for me too! Sometimes (like today) I just need a comfort food... but then the guilt I could be doing better there. I am covered by FMLA but DH and I are not settled yet whether I will take a (very) extended leave, so we're trying to do the research now to see what is financially possible.

@Aria: Thanks for the hugs! And so sorry that you're not feeling well and your back is bothering you. Maybe if it continues, you could consider prenatal yoga or a chiropractor? I know so many ladies who swear by their chiropractor during pregnancy!

39. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@Circusbee: I know well that comfort/guilt cycle! And I can imagine that you and DH have a lot of big decisions to make, that must be nerve-wracking. I'm so sorry! Do I have the power to authorize some guiltless comfort food for you?! Tell anyone who gives you grief that HB made you do it A glass of wine at the end of a stressful day used to really help take the edge off... sigh.

40. Circusbee

apricot / 390 posts

@loopedd: hahaha yes... soon enough that glass of wine will be back in our hands, right? Although we'll probably REALLY need it then! Now I use hot chocolate with extra whipped cream. It's actually doing the trick quite well!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee