Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

March 2013 Babies First Birthday Thread

1. Baby Boy Mom

pomegranate / 3983 posts

Ooo- this thread is so exciting! I just started pinning for our late Feb birthday as well. I think we're going to go with a balloon theme- bright primary colors, tons of balloons as decor and to play with, and I'm going to make an MSPI-friendly cake for the birthday boy. Still need to figure out the details but I'm pretty sure we're going to keep it small! Will try to come back with pins later.

2. Mrs. Blue

blogger / pomelo / 5361 posts

@cheert16: I saw your theme and remembered I had pinned this because I thought it was so cute!

3. Mrs. Blue

We are doing a Two-by-Two Noah's Ark/Rainbow theme.

Date: Mar. 15 in the afternoon
    Location: probably our house so we don't have to spend much, but it's small!
    Inviting: just family
    Food: undecided, but mostly finger foods
    Cake: I want to make the cake and do little smash cakes for them.
    Decor: various animal & rainbow decor
    Activities: there aren't going to be any other very young kids, so we won't plan any big activities or kid favors. I want to do a couple of things for the adults to entertain themselves, though.

Here are some of my inspiration pics:

4. Mrs. Blue

And this is what I'm thinking for their smash cakes.

5. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@blackbird: so true about a printable…. hmm you have me second-guessing going the DIY route with this because a printable is only $15 on etsy, and i bet it'd be reasonably priced to get it printed on canvas at costco. it'd probably end up cheaper than buying all the materials that i might never use again too!

@Mrs. Blue: that smash cake is too cute! love all the inspiration pics!

6. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

@Mrs. Blue: oh my goodness! I love love this theme and pics!

7. dojo

persimmon / 1223 posts

Oh my gosh you all have such fun ideas and themes! I'm way behind with my planning! Ours will be at the end of Feb. and we are doing an alphabet theme. I just printed up the invites and started a photo collage for display. We are going to put up the monthly photos on our mantle and I'm going to make a ton of tissue paper pom poms to hang up. I may also cut out some letters from cardboard and hang them as well. For food I'm not sure yet probably lots of appetizers and something I can make up ahead of time like lasagna maybe. There won't be many kids so we aren't doing any favors or anything. I just baked a practice cake tonight to taste it and test freezing ahead of time so if that works out I'm thinking to make a small cake to cut and/or smash and then probably cupcakes. I love the chalkboard signs too - if I have time I'd love to make one of those! Here's our invite with the colors

8. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

@dojo: SO creative! Love it!

9. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

$15 for a printable would probably be much cheaper!! I have photoshop, so it would be cake to do on a computer. No pun intended

I love that layered cake mrs blue! I may steal that. I'm making banana cake for E

10. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@Mrs. Blue: I love those rainbow cakes and chalk boards!! And that smash cake is adorable! Do you know how it's made??

Is everyone else doing a chalkboard?? I wasn't going to do one but... maybe I should??

@dojo: Your invite is so cute!!! Love it!!

11. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: It looks simple enough but I know myself, I would drive myself crazy working on it!
    @Baby Boy Mom: I love balloons!!
    @Mrs. Blue: Those smash cakes are too cute!!! I love that idea.
    @Mrs. High Heels: I think I saw that it is like $15 to get it printed at Costco. I just wonder if I could do it cause her 1 year appointment is Thursday and her party Sat, so I wouldn't know her weight and height till then.
    @dojo: I love that invitation. So creative. I am going to do a practice freezer and icing cake as well. Work won't mind being my guinea pigs.

12. Mrs. Blue

@Adira: Just add food coloring to the cake batter increasing the amount of food coloring for each layer. I'm planning on doing them in cupcake pans because I don't think they'll eat a ton anyway, plus I can make one each for their birthday and one each for their 1 year old pics.

13. Smurfette

@Adira: I am planning on making R's cake umbre, since the invitations are, just like MrsBlue said. I bought one bottle of gel coloring, will see how it turns out. I am making R's cake 6" and doing 3 layers.

14. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@blackbird: hahaha! I wish I was photoshop savvy enough to create one myself!

@Smurfette: that's one thing holding me back too. I wouldn't know his stats until closer to his bday so it might be stressful trying to order and print everything right before. Babies change so much in just a couple weeks and I don't want his stats to be too off!

@Mrs. Blue: sounds easy enough! Ok I may have to steal your cake smash idea too.

15. Adira

@Mrs. Blue: @Smurfette: So I have a bunch of Ramekin dishes... do you think I could bake little mini cakes in those?? They're ceramic.

16. Smurfette

@Adira: I would think so, as long as you use spray so they don't stick. I would try it at least. Do it this weekend and see how they turn out.

17. Adira

@Smurfette: Good idea! I need to do a trial run!

18. Mrs. Blue

@Adira: Absolutely. I agree with @Smurfette: to spray well and do a test run

19. Smurfette

@Adira: I know I am going to do one. Going to bake the cakes, freeze for a couple weeks, then take out in the morning and ice. And see if it would be defrosted by party time. I want to ice when frozen so it will be easier.

20. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@Adira: you could totally bake them in there- but you should line them with wax paper. It makes it easier for them to come out of the dishes- and it creates a level surface. (you will probably still need to trim the top!)

I am working on a cake design now- I have some inspiration pictures to go from- but haven't made any decisions yet. I have a side business making cupcakes for weddings and parties- so I don't want to do cupcakes for lil b's birthday party because I think everyone will expect it- I am going to challenge myself with my first double layer sheet cake.... yikes!

21. dojo

persimmon / 1223 posts

@Smurfette: I was just looking on Etsy for cupcake liners and saw these sprinkles and thought of you and your star theme - not sure if you are looking for any decorations for your cake but these look so pretty - and they're edible!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/81498042/edible-gold-star-glitter-sprinkles-45?ref=shop_home_active_13

22. Smurfette

@dojo: Thanks! I see they have silver ones. I bought some at Hobby Lobby, but I think this is a bigger amount for the same price. I will have to look tonight.

23. silver1

apricot / 338 posts

@Mrs. Blue: love your inspiration pics esp. the ruffle cake and smash cake and chalkboards!! I was thinking of getting a ruffle cake but with a crown on top for prince theme. Are you planning to make the cake?
    We are doing a prince theme so its going to be red, yellow and royal blue colors. Its going to be a small party at home so no formal invites. I am thinking late March timeframe as I already got an outfit for LO and its more springy than winter!! I will be trying to keep party simple make a crown for LO and add some stars and glitter decorations. Got to get my glitter fix in while LO can't protest!!

24. dojo

persimmon / 1223 posts

@Adira: I was only kind of thinking about a chalkboard before but after seeing the inspiration pics others have posted I really want to do one! I am just worried I will try to take on too much and get overwhelmed. I am already overwhelmed since it seems like it is coming up way too fast!

25. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@Mrs. Blue: I love those chalkboards! I am going to have to get my DIY on and make one!

26. Smurfette

Yay! My friend, who designed the invitations, is going to design a chalkboard for me. She is going to start working on it now, she will be having a day the first of March. but she said that when I get the weight and height from the doctor to text her and she add those and then send me the file. Then DH and I can get it printed Friday before the party. We both are taking Friday off work, sending her to day care, to clean, shop, and food prep.

27. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@Smurfette: Awesome!

LO's 1st year apt isn't till after his birthday- do you think I should change it to get it before so I have correct stats? I am totally making a board like @Mrs.Blue posted! I already have the chalkboard paint and wood to make the sign!

What activities are you having for the other kids that are there (if any)

28. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

We are having LO's party April 6th and are going with a Pink ombre/tea party theme. Super excited but feeling a little overwhelmed by it all. The party has been designed around the desert table ;). The more cake the better in my opinion!

29. Smurfette

@cheert16: Is his appointment after his party? I probably would see if I could change it. I am not sure what activities we are going to have. I feel like I need something but I can't think of anything. And at other family parties they never have stuff. They just play.
    @AprilFool: So cute! And yes more cake is better!!

30. Adira

@AprilFool: I'm loving that look you're going for!!! So cute! And that cake is amazing!!!

So I got my first RSVP for Xander's party!!! Woohoo!! This is starting to get real!

31. Smurfette

@Adira: You already mailed yours? When is it? Exciting!

I just talked to my Mom and my Dad has to work on the day of Reagan's party. I didn't even think to check with it that he might have a training class. I am so bummed. Mom said that she can tell he is really upset about it.

32. Adira

@Smurfette: haha, yes, I'm overly excited, haha. I mailed them on Tuesday and the party isn't until March 2nd, haha.

Awww, such a bummer about your Dad!!! Is there anyway he can take the day off??? My Dad actually was supposed to work too, but he was able to get the day off.

33. Smurfette

@Adira: No. Cause he has to lead the training classes. We are going over to their house on Sat so I am going to ask what time the class is till. He will probably be able to come over after, for dinner, and spend some time with R. But he will miss the party and cake smash.

34. Adira

@Smurfette: Yeah, that's too bad he'll miss the bulk of the party! What a bummer!

35. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Adira: Lucky the person making the cake is a friend so I can go all out!

@Smurfette: That's such a shame that your dad will miss out

36. dojo

persimmon / 1223 posts

@Smurfette: That's too bad about your dad working during the party

Question for you all: have you planned what YOU will wear for the party? I was thinking I'd like to maybe get a new dress or something but I have no clue what might look nice or if I should try to coordinate with what LO is wearing for pictures.

37. Smurfette

@dojo: I am looking for something with stars on it. If I can't find it, I will find a pink top. My family is pretty casual so unless it is super warm out, so I can wear a dress, I will wear jeans.

38. Adira

@dojo: OMG, I have to figure out what I'm wearing???? Gahhhhh

39. blackbird

Have you guys been to TJ maxx? They had these adorable pans and they were $10! They have them at Williams Sonoma for $40! I'm thinking little brownies or petit fours

They also had lots of serving plates for cheap if you guys want matching real platters. Those are all pretty reusable I think. And they had a lot of party stuff, too. Limited, though

40. blackbird

@smurfette, Ralph Lauren has a star print shirt!!!!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee