Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

March 2013 Babies First Birthday Thread

1. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

@photojane: @Mrs. High Heels: Yay for Feb. Mamas! I totally lost sight of the Feb. Mamas thread.

@photojane: Sure! Send me you addy! ;P

@blackbird: Spring Mamas! That's a great idea!

@Adira: LOLOL! I know! My GF said "toddler" doesn't start till they wear 2T - emphasis on the T.

2. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@shopaholic: I always thought toddler was 2+ But friends told me no.

3. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

Love the spring babies thread idea!! Though… is February more winter? How about a 1st quarter thread?! But that just sounds boring and blah, haha! I don't mind pretending to be a March baby mama… my bday is in March so I'm a huuuge fan of March babies and think they're pretty cool hehe.

4. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@ALV91711: Cookie monster cupcakes sound awesome! And cake tests are my favourite kind.

@Mrs. High Heels: My bday is in March too!

I need to go shopping for my DIY supplies. I am going to try and make the banner I posted. Then I need to start trying out pink lemonade recipes. Does anyone have one the usually make?

I spent hours on etsy last night. First looking at party stuff which lead to stuff for LO new room. Stayed up way to late to be woken early this am by H.

5. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

I thought toddler was after a year...

6. Smurfette

@blackbird: it is!

7. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@shopaholic: @blackbird: @Smurfette: I thought they were toddlers once they are walking??

8. dojo

persimmon / 1223 posts

@photojane: I'm a February mama too - but my due date was March so I just have stuck with the March threads.

Anybody know where I can get bulk tissue paper at a good price? I am about to buy some multicolor packs off Amazon but I really don't need all the colors.

9. Purpledaisy

nectarine / 2973 posts

Just ordered invites! Party is March 2nd, time to get planning! We are going with a pink, gray and turquoise heart and polka dot theme. Here are our invites!

10. blackbird

Dojo-do you have a hobby lobby near you? They're cheap.

Cute invite!

11. Smurfette

@dojo: I second Hobby Lobby!
    @Purpledaisy: cute!!

12. photojane

cantaloupe / 6164 posts

Yes, the Feb mama board was a big WOMP WOMP. February isn't spring, but I'm happy to pretend... I'm SO ready for spring!!

@dojo: How much do you need? I'm making a tassel garland, and I just got my tissue paper at the dollar tree + Target. I think it was $2 for a 20-sheet pack of different shades of pink, and $1 for the single color packs of 12 sheets. I got some shiny/mylar paper at the dollar tree (obviously for $1), but they have tons of solid shades too.

13. Adira

@Purpledaisy: That's when our party is too!! Yay March 2nd birthday parties!! And those invites are adorable!!

So I'm in the middle of making a practice dairy-free cake for Xander! Unfortunately, cooking in the ramekins isn't really working out - they're falling apart coming out. Womp womp. I think I'll have to try again and maybe use more non-stick spray and maybe let them cool longer before trying to get them out of the pan. But they taste good!

14. blackbird

You could also line with parchment paper and spray that, then just peel it off

15. Smurfette

@Adira: How did you get it to work? Saw the pic on IG

16. Adira

@blackbird: I was actually thinking about doing that next time. I really just need some on the bottom because I was able to get the sides to separate easily enough!

@Smurfette: So I ended up making three ramekins worth of cake. The first two had parts fall off as I was forcing them out of the ramekins. The third I decided to wait and then put in the fridge to cool before I even tried. I was able to get that one out without destroying it! I used that perfect one for the bottom (after sliding off the top so it was level). Then I used my best looking "bad" one as the top. I added some pieces that I had cut off the good one to help level it, and then used the frosting to hide any imperfections.

17. Smurfette

@Adira: sweet!!! I need to find a recipe to use for R's. Going to try and make it from scratch.

18. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Just wondering what everyone is doing for cake? Are you going to do a boxed cake or something that is healthier for LO?

I'm not sure yet.

19. Arden

honeydew / 7589 posts

@ALV91711: I'm making a dairy free/sugar free/grain free cake for LO with breastmilk icing. Why not, if I'm making it from scratch anyway, right?

Oh and I'm doing cake from Publix for guests, because I have enough stuff to do.

20. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@ALV91711: I am having a cake made. My friend is a professional baker so I am lucky there. I plan on not giving LO any but DH wants her to have some so I might just give her a few bites or if he is really insistent bake her a healthy cupcake.

A friend gave her son none at his birthday and he was none the wiser so I think we could get away with it. I will have to keep her close by so other people don't try and feed her though.

21. Adira

@Arden: Recipe please! The cake I made was NOT healthy (so much sugar, haha), so I might be willing to try making something else!

@ALV91711: I made this cake for my test run: http://milkallergymom.blogspot.com/2008/05/dairyegg-free-cake.html It's a chocolate dairy-free egg-free cake. It tasted pretty good! Not that Xander will know - I'm sure he'll refuse to have anything to do with it!

22. Smurfette

@ALV91711: I am going to try and make her cake from scratch. We will see how it works out. If not I will do a box mix. I know that I don't mess those up too bad. I am just making her a cake. She hasn't had any sugar before then, so we are going to let her have a treat on her birthday. She only turns 1 once!!

23. photojane

cantaloupe / 6164 posts

@ALV91711: The baker is making a small smash cake for us. It's going to be the same cake - almond cake with butter cream frosting. A little cake on her birthday won't ruin her forever.

24. Smurfette

@photojane: Yay! I was hoping everyone wasn't making a healthy one and I was the only one giving my LO a real cake.

25. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Smurfette: LO will be having unhealthy cake at her smash cake photo shoot which is why I am holding off on her party but DH says it seems silly to let her have cake for a photo shoot and not on her big day.

26. photojane

cantaloupe / 6164 posts

@Smurfette: I mean, I sure as hell wouldn't want a sugar free cake on my birthday!

27. Smurfette

@AprilFool: If R likes the cake at her party then the next weekend for her pictures we are going to do a smash cake at the end. So she will have it twice in a week!

28. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Arden: You can only make so much.

@AprilFool: That is awesome that your friend is a baker. I think it would be hard to make sure nobody else gave her cake.

@Adira: That recipe sounds pretty good.

@Smurfette: Box cake is so much easier! I don't think a bit of cake will ruin them for life! And really how much are they going to eat.

@photojane: Almond cake sounds delicious.

I was thinking of doing something healthier, but since it is a small party and I'm doing cupcakes that would mean everyone would have to eat it and they may not care for that. So I think I will do a white cake (out of a box).

29. Arden

honeydew / 7589 posts

@Adira: I'm making this one - http://urbanposer.blogspot.com/2012/02/graindairy-free-b-day-smash-cake.html?m=1

But I'm not comfortable with honey so young so I'm going to use maple syrup or possibly date paste. And I'm not using her frosting recipe (it sounds kinda gross), I'm just going to make it out of breastmilk because she obviously likes the taste.
    Hopefully that will get her to actually eat the cake instead of just playing with it.

30. Adira

@Arden: Thanks for the recipe! And I think using maple syrup would taste sooooo good! Are you going to do a test run beforehand?

31. Mrs. Blue

blogger / pomelo / 5361 posts

@photojane. @Smurfette: Sugar-included cake over here, too!:

32. Adira

Girls!! Check out these paper plates and napkins I found on Amazon!!!

33. Smurfette

@Adira: So cute! I want to fly up and come!!!

34. Adira

@Smurfette: OMG, I wish you could!!!! That would be so cool!!!

35. Smurfette

@Adira: Hopefully one day we can meet in person.

I can't find any star plates. They are all black. I need pink or silver.

36. blackbird

If you want *nice* silver star shaped platter, these are pretty: http://www.igift.com/Lunares-Silver-Star-Platter-Large-p/4695.htm?gclid=CJGmqsGCobwCFQtqfgodMCsAiA

What about this?

An unconventional idea would be to see if you can get ahold of plain pink plastic trays or plastic sheet and call a local machine shop and see if they will waterjet cut the plastic into star shapes. It might be cheaper than you think!

Or, shoot, even very thin aluminum sheet metal. They'll deburr the edges and everything and I bet it's not expensive.

This site has cute star shaped everything! https://www.wallyspartyfactory.com/

37. Smurfette

@blackbird: I like that first one but I think I am ok with platters. I need plates for people to eat off. I do like those plates on the last site.

38. blackbird

Oh derp, plates. I was definitely thinking serving ware.

what about black and silver? from orientaltrading.com

39. Smurfette

@blackbird: Everything is a lighter pink and silver so the black would look funny. I found some pink ones at Target that work. Going to check Party City this weekend. In the grand scheme of things, I guess the plates don't matter that much!

40. dojo

persimmon / 1223 posts

@ALV91711: I'm doing red velvet and white cakes. I'm thinking the white cake for the little 'smash' cake and a combo of the two for cupcakes for everyone else. Both are just going to be regular cake recipes.

These are the two I'm thinking:

http://www.bakerella.com/red-velvet-cake/

http://addapinch.com/cooking/2013/08/09/the-best-white-cake-recipe/#axzz2riCGykN9

I made a test run of the red velvet and it is so good! Going to try the white cake this week

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee