Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

May 2015 Mamas!!

1. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

This comment has been deleted by the original poster.

2. jetsa

grapefruit / 4663 posts

@Tippy0707: We were supposed to be team green again and dropped out. It's a great surprise at birth! I had a doula with my first and am not using her or another doula again. I've talked to a couple of people since who have said my experience was atypical so please take it with a grain of salt. I know a lot of people loved their doulas. I couldn't get in with the doula I 'clicked' with so I settled for another and then I ended up being induced due to maternal high blood pressure and she absolutely did not believe that was the right decision and although she never told me she let me know it through her actions. Because I was induced I went to the hospital at 9pm and she said to just call her when things got moving, well I was having slight contractions then and they continued. I finally got the pit at 9 am and my labor progressed rather quickly so by the time the doula got there (10 or 11?)I had gotten into a rhythm of just sinking into myself and the bed to get through them, it was working I was dealing with the pain (I went without pain meds). She thought I shouldn't be laying on my back and continuously tried to get me to move. I started pushing by noon and my son was born at 2. To me she was just an extra person and she didn't provide anything my husband and midwife already hadn't

3. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@Tippy0707: Sorry, I missed your post. I'll edit the list above to make you team green! I would love to be surprised, but just couldn't do it. We had a doula for my son's birth and it was SO worth it. I ended up needing a c-section, so things didn't go exactly according to plan, but she was worth her weight in gold during my labor and pushing (baby got stuck). She worked so hard to help me try different positions and then even when the c-section was needed, she stayed through the whole thing, fought to make sure I got the baby right away, helped us breastfeed, etc. My husband was not 100% on board initially because he was afraid she would take away from his role, but in the end, I think he found her even more valuable than I did. I never realized just how much time you spend "alone" in the room during labor - it was so nice to have an expert that was all ours. I would definitely recommend it!

4. Tippy0707

olive / 64 posts

@jetsa: I'm sorry you had a bad experience but thank you for sharing your story with me. We haven't decided for sure if we are going to have one or not, it just depends how we are feeling about the whole thing after we meet with them next week. We are going to be very upfront about how we feel re: induction, pain meds, etc. (Ideally, we would like to try for a med free birth and if I happen to go past my due date, I would like to try and not be induced as long as everything is ok with me and the baby. But if I decide that I want an epidural, I don't want to be frowned upon! ) So hopefully we will be able to get a feel for what their opinions are before going ahead and hiring them. The nice thing about the doulas we are talking to is that they work as partners (there are only two of them) so we would have a chance to get to know both of them before hand and make sure we like them both. They were my sisters doulas (they came highly recommended by her) and the one doula is my prenatal massage therapist so I have gotten to know her over the past few months. Also, on a side note, I am very jealous you had a midwife. We really wanted one but they are really hard to get where I live. There is an extreme shortage! Our city even built this beautiful new Birthing Centre but only midwives can deliver there and it seems next to impossible to get a midwife, so the Birthing Centre isn't doing nearly as many births as it was expected.

@SeptMomma12: Congrats on your !!! And thanks for adding my Team Green to the list. That little green ? looks pretty lonely. lol DH is feeling a little unsure about the doulas as well. I think he's worried that she will be taking over his role as well. I think it will be good for him (and I) to speak to them face to face so he can ask all his questions. He's also worried that its a big expense that we don't necessarily need. Are you going to hire a doula for this birth? If so, will it be the same doula?

Another question for all you bees. How many of you are taking/took during your first pregnancy a prenatal class (or hypnobirthing)? Did you find it beneficial? Do you think it would be worth taking if we did end up hiring a doula? Thanks!

5. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@Tippy0707: I'll be having a scheduled c-section, so no doula this time. But if I was attempting a VBAC, we would definitely be getting one, and yes, I'd use the same one. (My doctors won't allow me to try for a VBAC because I'm on the smaller side and grow giant babies, so they say the fact the first got stuck in my pelvis means the chances of a second fitting through are very small and not worth the risk.)

We took a few prenatal classes - a birthing class (sorta like Lamaze), a breastfeeding class and a newborn care class. I found them helpful, but I think they were even better for DH than me. I felt like I sorta knew a lot about this stuff from friends and boards like this, but he was clueless. It was funny - he was skeptical about classes and the doula, and then he was the one who admitted he got the most out of them

6. FSUAliss

pea / 10 posts

We had our ultrasound yesterday and we found out we are having a girl! We are so thrilled! Everything looked good although the tech went super fast through the images so we didn't get a chance to see/understand everything. Baby was active during the ultrasound, which made it easy to see everything. What a cool experience it was!

@SeptMomma12 - when you update my gender on the list, can you please update my due date to 5/27? Although they wrote 5/28 on a paper they gave me, they confirmed my original estimated date of 5/27 is accurate. Thanks much!!

On a side note, I just found out I should not be taking Mucinex DM which I have been taking for 4 days so I hope I didn't cause my baby girl any harm. The meds are so confusing - the list of safe meds I had included Dextromethorphan and Guaifenesin, which are the ingredients, but I read (and the doc confirmed) I should not take anything with "D" because apparently Mucinex D has Guaifenesin and Pseudophedrine. I knew Pseudophedrine was not safe but it's not listed as an ingredient in Mucinex DM. Anyway, I am going to stop medicine altogether but I don't know why it has to be so confusing!

Congrats to all the May mama's out there - happy to be part of the girl club!

7. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@FSUAliss: Updated above! Congrats on your little girl And I wouldn't worry about the medication. I think those things are much more important in the first trimester when everything is forming.

It sounded today like my due date might actually change from 5/21 to 5/16, but I'm going to leave it as is until I know for sure. One doctor says 5/21 and the other says 5/16....I have no idea why the discrepancy!

8. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

@FSUAliss: actually if it helps you feel better, I think Pseudophedrine IS considered ok--it's the active ingredient in Sudafed which is on the list of OK meds! I've been taking them, too

What my dr told me about Allegra-D at the time was that the only sort of issue they possibly found with it is that it can reduce amniotic fluid amounts (which...they would know when they look at your ultrasound if the baby has no water around it)

9. kick641

cherry / 157 posts

I know I haven't been around much, but we had our anatomy scan and we are having a girl. My due date got bumped up to May 10th.

10. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@Mrs squirreld: LOVE Violet:) I suggested it to DH and he nixed it and just said he wasn't feeling it with DD1's name...I was bummed:(

11. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@blackbird: Thanks! Yeah I read the UBV is not the best double either but I'm not about to get rid of it and we only put DD1 in it in extreme circumstances so I'm sure she'll survive:) I always hoped and prayed I wouldn't be a wide load double stroller kind of mom before I had kids, and I'm still not crazy about their massiveness even though I get them now.

12. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@Tippy0707: Awww thank you! With my first pregnancy, I didn't have a nice round bump until at least 24 or 25 weeks. Before that it just looked kind of bulgy and pudgy...I'm sure your little basketball belly is just around the corner!

13. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@SeptMomma12: Woohoo for a girl!!!! SO FUN and I'm so glad you know for sure now, and that's she's super healthy:)

@FSUAliss: Congrats on your girl!!!! I wouldn't worry about 4 days of mucinex:) I'm sure she is fine...It takes SO MUCH to get across the placenta - the body is such an amazing filter system to only give the best to your baby:)

Sorry for the multiple posts...So annoying that if you reply on an earlier page it kicks you to the next one and back and forth. I could copy and paste answers and submit them into one big post but HB has got to be kidding if they think I have time for that mess.

As for names, we are going with Sawyer:) I've been pretty sold on it, especially with my DD1's name. We decided to try it out and, lo and behold, she just became "Sawyer" and I can't imagine calling her anything else. We're pretty sure the middle name will be Rose, for a few personal reasons and also DH's grandmother was named that.

I didn't think I could get as excited about a name for a second girl bc I love my DD1's name sooooo much, and I was pretty sure I liked Sawyer for a girl at first, but it very quickly dug it's way into my heart and I can honestly say I love it now

14. FSUAliss

pea / 10 posts

@SeptMomma12, @Blackbird, @PrincessBaby: Thanks for making me feel better about the meds! I am going to try to survive without them to be safe, so we'll see how it goes. I sure do feel her moving around a lot which hopefully means she is okay!

15. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@kick641: Updating for you! Congrats on your little girl

May Mamas
    May 1st: Poprocks7911
    May 2nd: Littlepeanut , Princessbaby
    May 4th: Ms. Badger
    May 7th: Macintosh , Mrs Sketchbook
    May 8th: LC
    May 9th: Blackbird
    May 10th: Xmaskidjr , Kick641
    May 14th: Rrachael
    May 15th: Keppa
    May 18th: MsHangry , Chanada
    May 19th: Mrs Lovejoy , Jetsa
    May 20th: Sunflower123
    May 21st: Septmomma12
    May 22nd: Doodlesmama
    May 24th: Daisyfay
    May 25th: Mrs Squirreld
    May 26th: Enjollah, Gogosnogirl
    May 27th: Tippy0707 , FSUAliss
    May 30th: BabyPenguinXO

SO many girls in May!!!

16. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

Just popping in to say that I'm not sure how I managed for so long without the Jcrew Pixie mat pant. Holy crap do I love them! Wore them for the first time today to work and I now have to buy the other 2 colors.

And they are 40% off through the end of today!

17. Mrs. Lovejoy

clementine / 972 posts

@PrincessBaby: I was so tempted to get those! Maybe I'll have to take the plunge today - especially with that discount!

18. Mrs. Lovejoy

clementine / 972 posts

@PrincessBaby: I should have scrolled up. I LOVE the name Sawyer! and I think I remember DD1's name. They go perfectly together!

We are really wrestling with boy names. I don't know why it's so hard for us! We really love the name Teddy as a nickname (DH doesn't like Theo :/). But, DH isn't sold on Theodore as his formal name. I love it, so we'll see. Other than that, we don't have a lot of good backup options.

@FSUAliss: I totally took that last pregnancy! My midwife's office (the receptionist who was looking at the OK'd meds list) told me to take it. I didn't find out until much later that I wasn't supposed to, and all was fine!

19. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@Mrs. Lovejoy: Thank you:). DH and I talked about it more last night and I'm almost positive we're going with Sawyer Rose:). And I actually really love Theodore!!! That's adorable! Btw the discount makes the pixie pants $65...I swear they are worth it! The only thing is they are kind of long. I am 5'4 and got a regular and if I was wearing flats, I'd have to tuck them under...I'm going to order the short in the other 2 colors...

20. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@Mrs. Lovejoy: PS maybe you can get DH to agree to "trying out" Theodore on the baby for a few days to see if it grows on him? My DH always liked Sawyer but wasn't totally sold until we tried it out and then it just stuck

21. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@PrincessBaby: I didn't get the Pixie but I got a pair of the black toothpick jeans that I have been passing off as work pants and I LOVE them. I am tempted to get more but I'm only in the office 3 days a week so I've been making do with the jeans and a gross pair of Motherhood pants from last time that don't look bad with boots. Maternity clothes are so much harder in winter!

22. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@Mrs. Lovejoy: @PrincessBaby: I love both those names! I agree with "trying it out." That's what we did with our first (Connor) and it made it almost instantly clear that was the name we wanted.

We haven't even discussed names. My son says "baby Charlotte" so much we are having a hard time even thinking of anything else at this point.

23. Mrs. Lovejoy

clementine / 972 posts

@PrincessBaby: @SeptMomma12: Good suggestion! We've been calling him Teddy so far and that has stuck. We'll have to try to formal route for a little bit to see if DH is willing

And Charlotte is such a beautiful name. If it sticks and you love it, I say go for it!

24. MsHangry

apricot / 422 posts

I feel my size has been stable over the last week or two but it is definitely a firmer belly.

21w4d

25. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@MsHangry: Adorable bump, mama!!!

@SeptMomma12: I love Charlotte:) And how cool would that be if he ended up coming up with his sister's name

26. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@MsHangry: You look great!

27. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

What are you guys doing for diaper bags? I used to be a big fan of getting a cool, designer bag but I don't care anymore I actually got a bag from PBK for H that really worked out great, even though there wasn't a lot to it, and I'm thinking of just getting one of those again for LO2. H goes to daycare with hers every day plus it's monogrammed for her, so I'm going to get LO2 a new one. I hate lugging a big fat huge heavy diaper bag. I didn't get this one until H was a lot older...I hope it's not dumb to get a not-huge bag when I'll be bringing bottles and tons of crap. Even if it doesn't work while she's super little, we can use it later like we've done with H I guess.

I'd like this in navy but navy is no longer available so maybe they'll get another cute one in a dark color soon...It's like $40 - YAY:

28. blackbird

@PrincessBaby: I use a tactical backpack-a north face recon. I find a backpack easier for babywearing, too, and the pockets are more easily accessible IMO

29. jetsa

grapefruit / 4663 posts

Did anyone use a rock and play? We didn't have one with J but have heard great things about them.

30. blackbird

@jetsa: we used one because E had reflux. It was awesome! Except when I found her trying to climb out of it around 4.5 months....the crib transition was hard, though. They're all snuggly in the RnP and cozy and its incline is nice...

31. jetsa

grapefruit / 4663 posts

@blackbird: awesome. We're trying to avoid cosleeping every night for 6 months like we did with J transitions are always hard so that doesn't scare me too much

32. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@jetsa: We didn't have one for my son, but I already got one for this LO. I hear amazing things!

33. blackbird

@jetsa: I'm sure it's an easier transition to break than co sleeping!!!

34. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@blackbird: That is a good point about baby wearing and backpacks!

Are we the only ones that pretty much go straight to the crib? With H, we used her UBV bassinet on a rocking holder thing I bought. She could not have hated it more, like would only sleep 5 mins before she was screaming. For a couple of weeks we did various mixes of her sleeping on us and her sleeping in the snugabunny swing - which she loved. But then DH was like, this is madness - she's going in the crib. So we did it and she was fine.

The only thing, that I really didn't think about before now, was that in the house we were in, she was right across the hall upstairs. We built a one-story house with a pretty large footprint, and the kids' bedrooms are alllllllll the way on the opposite side of the house from the master. That is going to suck so hard for MOTN wakeups and feedings! But it's nice for keeping them out of the way of noise and activity when they're sleeping. But I'll be journeying to the other side of the planet a whole lot:(

Oh and our crappy movers lost the UBV bassinet somehow, so we don't even have that as an option.

35. blackbird

@PrincessBaby: we are using a flat co sleeper this time-if there's no reflux. This LO's room is down the hall, and I'm too lazy to get my ass up and walk down there

36. Mrs. Lovejoy

clementine / 972 posts

@PrincessBaby: that's cute! We also got a PBK one for LO1. I think it would work for two and since she is home during the day (sitter and DH), I probably won't get a second. BUT, I am strongly considering looking for a backpack to haul everyone around town. I'm for some reason really nervous about taking two kids out on my own and needing a bag too. So, I might get the longchamp one if it's big enough. Then my hands will be free.

Oh and for babes and sleeping, we went from bassinet to crib in about 6 weeks. It was around that time that I was freaking about going back to work and wanted to make sure she was ok in her crib. But I've heard such good things about the RnP, I'm considering it!

37. Mrs. Lovejoy

clementine / 972 posts

@MsHangry: you look great!!

I still need to take a bump pic. Can't believe I don't even have one. We took one every week last time! Maybe it'll be a selfie in the work bathroom tomorrow.

38. jetsa

grapefruit / 4663 posts

@PrincessBaby: we didn't because it's downstairs and won't this time bc lo1 is still in the crib so dd isn't getting it until he climbs out. I can't handle traveling that far in the motn. We started naps at 3ish weeks and that was great

39. BabyPenguinXO

kiwi / 549 posts

I've had a really stressful week since returning home from Kentucky to visit my fiancé! My son and I are both sick again to top it off. Terrible coughs. Complete with bronchitis and an inhaler for me. My car broke down just before dark, 2 hours from family. Blew a tire. Came home and my cat had lost half his body weight. He's eating again I had to change his food, and he should recover. Of course someone was checking on him. But he always hid so she never really saw him. Between that and the car that really hit the bank bad.

Tuesday is my anatomy scan for baby girl. I'm scared she won't be a girl after all the bad things happening this week!

My picture is me yesterday at 20 weeks vs 31 with my son. I'm dangerously close to the same size. It's scary!!!

40. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

Guess I'd better hope that rocker we're ordering is really comfy! Looks like I'll be passing out there a lot bc it's too far to go climb back in the bed in our bedroom!

@BabyPenguinXO: Sorry you had a crappy week! Your belly is adorable, so that's a win:)

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee