Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

May 2015 Mamas!!

1. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

When are you guys counting yourself as third trimester? I've read 27 and 28 weeks.

I'm going with 27 since I'm getting induced at 39w anyway .

I'm 26 weeks- 1 more week!

2. BabyPenguinXO

kiwi / 549 posts

@blackbird: @PrincessBaby: thanks! No my u/s didn't. I have cholestatsis of pregnancy, and low fluid is something they measure for at my soon to be weekly ultrasounds. But another cholestasis mama had low fluid and was admitted to the hospital for 3 weeks before levels dropped even more and she was induced at 34.5 weeks. It occurred to me that I wasn't sure if low levels meant you were leaking but Im pretty sure they can be low without leakage.

Also, my placenta is chunky and thick? Bloodwork showed no infections but it could cause some growth issues, but I'm already closely monitored for that. So more so, another mama had low fluid and it was just a curiosity question.

But I feel like Ive seen low fluid lead to early indications/delivery a few times and it's usually s fairly quick change of, ok you have low fluid and by next check it's still low so they deliver. I'm sure there is low, and dangerously low!

3. BabyPenguinXO

kiwi / 549 posts

@PrincessBaby: 27 for me I start my 100 day countdown today!!! I'm 21+5 but delivering at 36! I'm due 5/30 you must be due 5/1

4. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@PrincessBaby: I always counted 28 weeks, but 27 sounds better to me. I'll have my c-section at 39 weeks too. But I'm only 23 weeks, so I've still got a long way to go:( Last time 28 weeks was when I was put on bed rest, so that's a big milestone in my head this time around.

5. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

@PrincessBaby: 27 weeks!

@BabyPenguinXO: Oooo. Yeah you can have low fluid without leaking. It can not recycle properly or you can just not make enough, is my guess. But yeah, there's low and dangerously low and they can thankfully monitor it! Plus it gets lower the further along you get.

6. BabyPenguinXO

kiwi / 549 posts

@blackbird: yes! So many complications meh!!

7. Tippy0707

olive / 64 posts

@Mrs squirreld: I will definitely check out the nursery board. Thanks!!
    @PrincessBaby: Thanks!!! I have been fearing my GD test (I'm a 1st timer!) My sister said its horrible. She felt so nauseous and then ended up passing out when they took her blood. (She does have a habit of passing out when she gets her blood taken, so its not just the GD test lol) Plus, I don't generally eat sugary things, I'm more of a salt person.
    @Mrs. Lovejoy: Thanks!!!

8. Tippy0707

olive / 64 posts

I was wondering I could pick your brains…DH and I are considering switching doctors. I am 22 weeks.

Here are ours reasons for considering the switch:
    1. The doctor I have been seeing is my regular GP. She is also my sisters doctor and delivered my nephew. Our issue is, is that the clinic she works out of is a training facility for resident doctors. So, while she is our official doctor and over sees everything, we don't actually have our appointments with her; we have them with a resident doctor and she will generally come in at the end of the appointment and see if we have any concerns. So, because of this we feel like we haven't really gotten to know her. This has never bothered me in the past because before being pregnant I would only ever go to the doctor for regular paps. The clinic she practices out of is quite far from where we live, although the clinic she delivers at is pretty close to us.
    2. Dr #2 has been recommended to us by our doulas. He works out of the hospital where I am planning on delivering and is much closer to where we live. He has also been describe to me by more than one person to be "the closest thing to a midwife." (We really wanted to have a midwife and give birth at the Birthing Centre but its very hard to get a midwife here.) He is considered to be a hands off doctor (minimal checks etc) and is pro-natural birth. He also has a high birth attendance rate.

Pros for switching:
    -we would only be seeing one doctor so we would get to know him better
    - closer to where we live
    - has a high birth attendance rate
    - more of a midwife approach to birth; so maybe it might be closer to our ideal birth situation

Cons for switching:
    - I don't want to offend my GP
    - I'm worried that its a bad decision to switch mid way through my pregnancy
    - What if I don't end up liking Dr #2 and regret switching

Would it be a bad decision to change doctors half way through my pregnancy? What would you girls do if you were in our situation? Has anyone else switch care providers mid way through their pregnancy?

9. Mrs. Lovejoy

clementine / 972 posts

@Tippy0707: My only advice is go with your gut! We JUST changed practices as well, and it did take a lot of processing for me. We actually switched from a midwife practice to an OB. I would have stuck with the midwives, but I found out at my 18W appointment that they no longer deliver at my hospital of choice. I haven't even met or actually gone to the new practice yet, but I have my 26W appointment there. I actually switched mid-pregnancy last time as well and it wasn't too bad. The worst part honestly was the paperwork transfers and the new practice not knowing a ton of my history.

Maybe you can try out the new OB? I don't think they get paid unless they deliver you, so they may be open to it? Then you don't have to officially switch?

10. jetsa

grapefruit / 4663 posts

@Tippy0707: I aldo think you should go with your gut. If tomorrow's appt isn't better, I'll be changing practices as well.

11. jetsa

grapefruit / 4663 posts

@Mrs. Lovejoy: I was curious how thus would work bc last time everything was billed at the very end and so I wondered if I'd end up with multiple bills or what.

12. BabyPenguinXO

kiwi / 549 posts

@Tippy0707: im at a teaching hospital and also see a resident and fellow before my dr. The way I see it, I have even more eyes on me. I actually don't see the same doctor regularly becasuse they rotate. Every Tuesday there is a group talk about the primary patients though. They won't deliver me since they are high risk and their really is no reason for them too unless the hospital is busy I think soemtimes they do, otherwise it's just the OBs who deliver.

Do you know what his actual birth attendance is? I think it's extremely common that your usual doctor has a high chance of not delivering you. I would too be concerned about offending the doctor and going back to her for your primary afterwards. Especially if there isn't anything morally wrong with the way they are treating you. You could discuss your concerns about med free/natural birth and maybe even see some of the other doctors in the practice so you are more comfortable come delivery time. Or to find out who is maybe more opt to intervene medically.

None of the things you mentioned would be big deal breakers to me, snd changing doctors is stressful. So if I were in you shoes I probably wouldn't switch! But if it's bothering you and your gut says switch, then by all means do it

13. Mrs squirreld

nectarine / 2522 posts

@PrincessBaby: We have to do the 2 hour test first here no option... waaaaah. So boring

@jetsa: My BP was too high at my appt.. arggh. It's been fine at home so the midwife reckons I have a bit of whitecoat syndrome. I'm asymptomatic for pre-e so they aren't too worried just yet if I am feeling ok. I have until my 26 week appt to get it down or I will have to go to weekly appts/possible bedrest. NOT what I wanted to hear. I'm supposed to be flying at 27 weeks to be a bridesmaid in a wedding. So just trying to focus on exercise and relaxation which isn't easy here at the moment cause its a trillion degrees

14. jetsa

grapefruit / 4663 posts

@Mrs squirreld: AHH boo! This is exactly what I'm afraid of, my monitor isn't in yet but I can tell by symptoms mine has been high this week. I see a new midwife today so I just hope it's low. I looked back my midwife last time told me to keep it under 140/90 and she'd allow it and I did until 35 weeks. I didnt think they'd assume pre-e when you had high BP and no pre-e last time gah, we're headed to my appt now.

15. Mrs squirreld

nectarine / 2522 posts

@jetsa: I don't think they presume pre-e, its just the main worry I think. I never had signs of pre-e last time but was still induced. 140/90 is what they want mine to be under too. It was 163/90 at my appt. Today when I took it, it was 134/84 so better. Im sorry if I made you worry more!! Think calm happy thoughts!!!!!!! Goodluck.

16. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

Anyone having random late-stage pregnancy symptoms? With DD1, I remember that my eyelashes started falling out (or breaking off?) around this same time. Now it's happening again and driving me nuts. I cannot imagine what hormone could possibly cause this, but it's only happened while very pregnant. Everyone has their things for beauty, and my lashes are definitely one of my "things" so it's really bummed me out.

I have an appointment next thurs to get Novolash done at my salon . I've always thought it would be cool but now I'm justifying it bc I can't walk around with 3 eyelashes on each eye! I'm exaggerating, but they are starting to look crazy!

17. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@jetsa: Fingers crossed for a good BP!

18. jetsa

grapefruit / 4663 posts

@PrincessBaby: thanks it was borderline but still ok

19. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@jetsa: yay!

I passed the 1 hour! I thought the nurse said my level was 69, but that can't be right. But she definitely said "wonderful results" so I'll just roll with that!

20. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

Also this bladder thing has gotten to be no joke. I have to constantly go to the bathroom so I guess that's a sign that she really isn't messing around anymore, she's growing a lot and my bladder is taking the hit.

21. BabyPenguinXO

kiwi / 549 posts

@PrincessBaby: im not having many late symptoms. Uhm my round ligament pain is bad this time. I'm sorry about your lashes! I'm prettu proud of mine too. I think you told us this before becasuse I swear I'm having déjà vu reading your story!! Funny lol.

22. Tippy0707

olive / 64 posts

@Mrs. Lovejoy: @jetsa: @BabyPenguinXO: Thanks so much for the advise ladies. DH and I will discuss it some more this weekend and maybe talk it over with out doulas. My sister has been away in Belize for the past two weeks and I really want to talk to her about it before making any decisions.

23. BabyPenguinXO

kiwi / 549 posts

@Tippy0707: wow what an adventure! Your sis should be a good resource! And knowing you have doulas, they help you advocate for the birth you want as well! They will keep you strong and help you push for what you want

24. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@PrincessBaby: My bladder is my #1 enemy right now. It's insane. I was up 6 times last night. No joke, I actually counted on the bathroom counter.

25. BabyPenguinXO

kiwi / 549 posts

Question for second time mamas:

Did any of you try and unsuccessfully breastfeed the first baby? as in, tried it and ended up on formula for whatever reason.

My son was premature and I never figured out how to switch to just the boob. So I was BFing, topping off with a bottle, and then pumping to maintain my great supply. It became to much and I never had time to take care of myself, and I had liver issues that needed tending too and the pumping and dumping was heartbreaking so I decided to switch to formula.

This time since we're expecting to deliver at 36, im hoping to successfully nurse off the bat. Obviously I didn't have any major issues the first time so I don't anticipate any supply issues but potentially latch or lip/tongue tie issues would be my only concern. I have some great tips if she does go to the NICU, to avoid getting Her on bottles.

Just wondering if anyone else is in the same position where it didn't work out before but you're trying again this time!

26. blackbird

@BabyPenguinXO: oh sure. We tried, but E was in the NICU for a week and her breathing was more important, apparently, because she never wanted to BF. I ended up pumping and supplementing right from the get go. My supply could never come up, I could never get her to latch on, yadda yada. Futile effort. I'm going to try, but certainly not wracking myself over it. If it works, great. If it's a big hassle, fuck it.

I also have a rare skin disorder that is exasperated during pregnancy, and the medication that makes it go away is not safe while nursing. So that's a factor, too. Being covered in swaths of dark, scary, raised patches of skin that peel off isn't really an acceptable thing for me, so we'll see how it continues to spread.

27. BabyPenguinXO

kiwi / 549 posts

@blackbird: I hear ya. I can't imagine going through the pumping thing with another babe. I think My supply was good because I pumped around the clock for 4-5 days before I was allowed to try BFing. So I think that helped establish it. He was on sole breastmilk from the NG feeding tube within a few days. So I lucked out there but I'm def nervous about that this time.

I would want my skin clear too and I would do the same thing!/

28. blackbird

@BabyPenguinXO: Oh i am NOT. I will not, no way, no how ONLY pump again. It's just not going to happen at all. I don't think i responded well to the pump--as often as I was doing it, there's no reason I shouldn't have had a good supply. So...not doing it that much. Hate that fucking thing.

Yeah it's gross, unfortunately. In the winter, not too noticeable! In the summer? OMFG. I have to use the phrase "skin disorder" because if i say "disease", they think it's contagious.

29. BabyPenguinXO

kiwi / 549 posts

@blackbird: lmao! The pump does get old!

Awww skin disease... What a buncha jerks! Lol

30. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@BabyPenguinXO: I think I may have posted about it with DD1? It is so so tragic

I get the Novalash on Thurs! Soooooo excited!

31. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@BabyPenguinXO: Yes, definitely hoping it works out better with #2. I didn't really have any nursing problems with DS, but he was a colicky baby and I had bad PPD, so I ended up stopping after 6 weeks because I wasn't comfortable nursing with the dosage of meds they had me on. I pumped for a few more weeks and mixed with formula, but I wasn't comfortable giving him any more than that. So yeah, I'm hoping for a happier baby and happier mom...and better breastfeeding experience!

32. BabyPenguinXO

kiwi / 549 posts

@SeptMomma12: fingers crossed for you too!!!

33. Tippy0707

olive / 64 posts

Our ultrasound went really well on Friday. It was such an amazing experience getting to see our little babe! Our bodies are so incredible! How our bodies know how to create another little human, feed it, protect it and eventually expel it from our bodies is beyond amazing! I definitely have a new appreciation for my body and all that it does.
    Here's our babe's very first picture! It's waving hi to the world!

34. BabyPenguinXO

kiwi / 549 posts

@Tippy0707: squee!!! First ultrasound!!? Omg I've had so many already I can't imagine! Lol great picture!!

35. Tippy0707

olive / 64 posts

@BabyPenguinXO: I had a dating ultrasound at 8 weeks but when I seen it then it was just a little blob. I'm from Canada and considered low risk so they generally only do 1 ultrasound at around 20 weeks. (I was 22 weeks.)

36. BabyPenguinXO

kiwi / 549 posts

@Tippy0707: oh duh that makes sense!! that makes it special though!!!

37. jetsa

grapefruit / 4663 posts

24ish weeks in both! They told me at my last appt my bump was ahead so what was I with my son (left) lol! I'll have to dig out that dress this weekend!
    Also I hit viability this week which just seems like a huge relief, she needs to stay in for 110 more days but it's something.

38. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@jetsa: your bump is beautiful

I am going to take a bump pic tomorrow to celebrate 27 weeks...

THIRD TRIMESTER!!!! Whoop! Whoop! I am starting to believe there's actually an exit strategy:)

39. blackbird

@jetsa: You look adorable and I LOVE your top! You are carrying so differently this time!

40. jetsa

grapefruit / 4663 posts

@blackbird: thanks, it's so weird how different 2 pregnancies can be!

@PrincessBaby: thank you!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee