Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

May 2015 Mamas!!

1. MsHangry

apricot / 422 posts

@Mrs. Lovejoy: such a wonderful picture!

As far as leave, I am in graduate school and will be delaying my graduation by a year. I have had at least three different plans of what I will finish before May 18 and what I will do when I come back. Even whether I will take 13 months or 7 months has been in flux. If everything works out, I'm going to look like a genius in planning. If it doesn't end up working well I will probably be a cautionary tale of trying to do too much at once.

I tell myself I have time, but it is rapidly disappearing.

2. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@Mrs. Lovejoy: That picture is precious! It looks professional.

As for maternity leave, my current goal is to go back to work after Labor Day. It means taking some extra unpaid leave after my disability/FMLA runs out, but I'd rather have the summer off and then start the baby in day care with the "new" school year.

Second time moms, what kind of "necessities" do you plan to buy for baby #2? I'm trying to get organized and see what we need. I will definitely buy new nipples, but we can reuse the bottles from LO#1, right?

3. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

@Mrs. Lovejoy: That's adorable!

Maternity leave: I think i'm going to go back right before 4th of July. Somewhere in that time frame.

@SeptMomma12: i'm totally re-using bottles! And ours were heavily used. i have new nipples, more cloth diaper burp wipes (the ones i have were customized for E and gifted to us), more soothies (which i'm sure E will steal), some boy stuff--swaddle and receiving blankets, bath towels, wubbanubs, humidifier, another noise machine, the stroller rumble seat, and an additional camera...I also want to get an arm's reach co-sleeper this time.

4. BabyPenguinXO

kiwi / 549 posts

@SeptMomma12: we bought a travel system from my cousin, A rock and play, and a playmat. Ours last time was lame. I never bought a rock n play with my son. We had sold our swing so I bought a gently used snugabunny for $45 score! Has an extra swing bedding.

We will be buying a new convertible crib and putting Gavin in a full bed I think. But that's also cause we're moving and were basically getting rid of everything. My FMIL insisted on buying us a crib but let me have no say and his crib is old and has a little flip down part. He's currently standing up rocking in it and it sounds like he's about to come thru the floor. It's so god awful Loud.

So we are buying a lot of "new" stuff. But it's mostly related to the fact that we are moving. It was so expensive to rent a truck to Move and we haven't invested in any nice furniture worth paying that much to move. so it's cheaper for us to just sell the stuff here and toss out the crap we have collected.

5. BabyPenguinXO

kiwi / 549 posts

Oh I threw out the bottles. I bought cheapies at the end and it was a milestone for us to be done with them at one year so I tossed them I got annoyed with all the parts in the dr brown bottles becasuse it didn't seem the other bottles made him extra gassy or anything. So yeah.

Oh! But I'm using the Kiinde Twist system this go round in case I do a lot of pumping. It's no milk transfer I got a free starter kit. It's pretty neat. especially for workimg moms seems really convenient!! No spilt milk

6. jetsa

grapefruit / 4663 posts

@Mrs. Lovejoy: Oh my gosh so cute!

As far as maternity leave, I haven't even thought about it. I have a big construction project that if its where I expect it will be, that will require some phone calls, etc. during the early weeks and I will just take 6 weeks so I'm guessing I'll go back around July 4th as well.

@SeptMomma12: I'd say we'll replace nipples and we won't even need those until daycare and we're also getting a new glider, a rock and play, a noise machine, and some girl clothes as well as BOWS lol.

7. blackbird

@jetsa: ALL THE BOWS!

8. jetsa

grapefruit / 4663 posts

@blackbird: haha yes!

9. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@jetsa: Haha. I was just telling someone today I will need football themed bows to match her big brother's infant sleepers I hope she can wear

10. jetsa

grapefruit / 4663 posts

@SeptMomma12: haha exactly. That is the plan over here, she'll have a few dresses for special events but mostly she's wearing brothers clothes. My sister has started making me blue bows to match his clothes.

11. BabyPenguinXO

kiwi / 549 posts

I feel like an appendage is going to come out my vag! Is she kicking my cervix or my bladder? How do I know. I swear I feel it in my lady parts and it almost makes me jump. Get the H Out of there lady!

12. Mrs. Lovejoy

clementine / 972 posts

Thanks guys!!

We are varied on our leaves, but hopefully we all just feel we got enough time at home and are ready to go back when we do!

I think we're getting new pacis. I hadn't thought about new nipples. We had the comotomo bottles and took pretty good care of them. But we probably should. We also never had a RnP but everyone raves about them! I'm really hoping insurance will cover a new pump because the ameda didn't really kick it for me last time. Oh and boy clothes! Gap has been having crazy sales lately (has anyone else heard the rumor they might be going under?!).

@BabyPenguinXO: haha so I haven't felt that this time yet, but i think I did last time. Maybe she is sitting super low?!

13. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@BabyPenguinXO: Ugh, same thing here! I didn't realize it was possible to feel everything BELOW the belly. Never had that last time. I was just saying last night "You have the whole stomach - move up!" I asked the ultrasound tech two weeks ago and she said the baby was pretty much laying transverse across the bottom, just digging in. Thanks baby.

@jetsa: That bow is adorable!

@Mrs. Lovejoy: We just got a RnP too. Didn't have it the first time, but everyone raves about it. I got a good deal a few weeks ago on diapers.com. DH's grandmother actually works at Baby Gap (at 85 years old!), so she's been stocking up for us. It's a definite perk! But I hadn't heard that about going under - she's actually been getting more hours than normal. I really hope that's not true

14. Mrs. Lovejoy

clementine / 972 posts

@SeptMomma12: I've only heard it from one person, haven't read a thing about it online, so I'm hoping this person was just talking crazy!

I've been trying to drink more water (12 oz every hour at work, so about 100 total) and I am going crazy with how often I pee! I think it's definitely because he's sitting low + the water uptick. But in better news it's made me feel so much better. I was definitely dehydrated before. Bleh. I usually love water but it's been tough this pregnancy.

15. blackbird

Lightning crotch!!! Yeah it does not feel good.

Water has gotten easier for me lately! Took six damn months to taste good, though

16. BabyPenguinXO

kiwi / 549 posts

@blackbird: I don't think its lightening crotch! I remember that feeling it's sharp! This is definitely a kick it's gotta be a kick to the cervix. It's not painful it's just WEIRD cause I feel it right in my vag!!! lol lightening crotch fricken hurts.

17. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@BabyPenguinXO: Same here. It's not lightning crotch yet, thankfully. It feels more like she's digging for gold in my vag. I wish I could bribe her to move up like I would my 2 year old!

@Mrs. Lovejoy: I've been upping the water too because it seems to be the only thing that helps with my BH contractions, but oh man do I pee a lot. I told DH last night I need to get a FitBit just to calculate how many steps I take to the bathroom every day...and all night:(

18. blackbird

@BabyPenguinXO: Ah gotcha. I get kind of an ache in mine sometimes, but i just assume he's rolling around and digging his head into something...like it almost throbs in an uncomfortable way. I used to get it sometimes around my period and chalked it up to hormones. It's just hard not to blame the, you know, FETUS RAMMING YOU.

19. BabyPenguinXO

kiwi / 549 posts

@blackbird: lol! My son got the hiccups and they were always low. It gave me a pulse in my vag. At least 2x a day without fail.

20. FSUAliss

pea / 10 posts

Question for the momma's who have done this before. I am looking for opinions on a stroller. I definitely want the Baby Jogger but can't decide between the City Mini or the City Select. My friend had the City Mini and I loved it. Hubby and I are considering the City Select with the second seat because we expect to have baby #2 within about a year and a half of baby #1 (assuming nothing prevents that from happening). Of course, we would use the City Select as a single until baby #2 comes along. Most reviews love both but just wondering if anyone purchased a double stroller when they had the first baby and if they had any regrets? Cost-wise, it seems like the right choice, unless we went cheaper when time for a double came along. Being a FTM, I also wonder if when baby #2 comes along if I will just want to carry one in the carrier and push the other. I am sure I am overthinking this - so any help is appreciated!

21. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@FSUAliss: I can't speak from personal experience, but I have a few friends who have sold their original strollers and bought the City Select when #2 was coming. They love it and wish they had just bought the City Select originally. If you think you will have 2 that close together, it seems like a good idea.

We have the Britax B-Ready and are going to try it out as a double, but I sorta wish we had gone with the City Select originally because I like their double seating arrangements better! I'm hoping to use the baby carrier a lot more with #2, but you never know how they will react. My son never liked the baby carrier - was always way happier in the stroller.

22. littlepeanut

pea / 18 posts

Cutest picture @Mrs. Lovejoy!

For you ladies who are feeling kicks down there, I don't think I've felt a single one above my pelvic region either. I keep telling her she has A LOT of room but she seems to want to snuggle as far down as she can. I guess with the previa the placenta is providing her a nice pillow.

Maternity leave? I plan on taking the full 12 weeks. I won't get paid for all of that, but I want that time with my first little one and I'm not compromising with my boss!

Glad to see a lot of us are coming up on the GD test, too. I can't wait to hear how everyone else handles it so I know what to expect.

23. FSUAliss

pea / 10 posts

@SeptMomma12: Thanks for the reply and insight, it's very helpful!

24. Tippy0707

olive / 64 posts

Hi ladies!
    Hope you've all been well. DH and I just got back from a weekend getaway to Banff, which was lovely. I was a little sad to be heading to the mountains but not being able to snowboard or sit in the hot springs but we found other things to do. Banff is so beautiful! I so wish we could live near the mountains rather than the prairies but all of our family is here so it would be so hard to move away. Although we do discuss it several times a year as soon as our miserable winter strikes. haha
    We had a meeting with a couple of doulas last week which went really well. We have decided to hire them! DH was the one to make the final decision. I think the whole baby thing is finally starting to sink in for him. I think it will feel even more real once we see the baby. Our ultrasound is this Friday. I can't wait to see this little peanut!

Has anyone started on their nursery yet? I'm getting so excited to start setting everything up! Our only issue right now is that we are in the midst of a huge bathroom reno so our nursery is currently being used as a storage room. We are hoping the reno will be finished in two weeks but that might be pushing it. Our crib & dresser have arrived and our glider should be in, in the next couple of weeks. I just found a fabulous wallpaper which I'm going to order. I think we will just wallpaper the one feature wall and leave the other walls a cloud white. The nursery will be a grey and white for now but once the baby is born and we know what it is we will add some accent colours.

How long do you generally get for maternity leave in the US? We get a whole year off for mat leave which I am feeling SUPER excited about. I can't wait to spend the whole summer at the lake!

Here's my first bump photo! I'm finally feeling like its big enough to look like a bump rather than just chub.
    22 weeks today!!!

25. jetsa

grapefruit / 4663 posts

@Tippy0707: super cute bump pic! most people get fmla which is 12 weeks unpaid and just your job guaranteed. It's horrible.

Anyone else dealing with headaches? I'm guessing my blood pressure is creeping up again but was hoping there was another reason

26. Tippy0707

olive / 64 posts

@jetsa: Thanks! I'm super excited that I'm looking a little more preggo rather than just bloated lol Only 12 weeks!!! I knew that Canadians mat leave was longer than the US but I didn't realize it was that short.

27. BabyPenguinXO

kiwi / 549 posts

@jetsa: yikes I've been having bad headaches! I've never had BP issues though

28. BabyPenguinXO

kiwi / 549 posts

@Tippy0707: it's terrible! They really need better parental leave laws here

29. Mrs squirreld

nectarine / 2522 posts

@FSUAliss: We got a city mini for our first and now I really wish we got the select to make it more cost effective...

I'm a SAHM so don't have maternity leave issues and am super grateful.

@Tippy0707: have you seen our nursery board? It's in the May 15 section, I'm on my phone so can't link it here.

@jetsa: headaches galore here....migraines worse than ever before...my BP seems ok at the moment, but I'm so worried about it that that probably won't help...atleast we are in good company again my birthing twin. Lol. I'm seeing a physio every week to help with my back and neck pain which I think is triggering the migraines.

I have a checkup today with the midwives and might ask about my iron levels... I am so so tired, its ridiclous.

30. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

The worst part about the fasting 1 hour test is when an old man also waiting in the lab wants to be your BFF and know all about you. And you haven't had food or coffee, and don't normally eat sugar so this drink is making you feel hung over. How do you tell a little old man to leave you alone, that you feel terrible and want to be left in miserable peace????

Ugh. I have 30 more minutes of torture before they stick me and I can fill my belly with coffee and good food. This is no joke, I feel horrific.

31. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@Tippy0707: very cute bump!!!

32. jetsa

grapefruit / 4663 posts

@Mrs squirreld: No. They're horrible aren't they, I'm probably going to ask tomorrow if a prenatal massage or chiropractor could help because between my head and body aches I feel like I'm 40 weeks pregnant not 23, I know it doesn't help that I lift J but my DH is traveling a ton so it can't be avoided. I called and asked about my iron levels a while ago and I got a snotty nurse who told me they were fine and they wouldn't do anymore blood work until 28 weeks. She even went as far as that she couldn't believe my midwife prescribed it last time and it wasn't needed...so I ignored her and bought iron over the counter and all the symptoms dissipated within a week, surprise surprise. Now hopefully my iron isn't through the roof at my next appt but seriously. I'm still annoyed with my office because tomorrow will be my first appt with someone who could possibly deliver this girl and if I get pushed off with an NP again, I'm going to be ticked. Last time I only saw Katy and I so wish she hadn't move across the country.

@PrincessBaby: I hate the glucose test and I felt the same way, I'm sorry. I still have 4 weeks until mine.

33. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@PrincessBaby: Ugh, I am not looking forward to that. Luckily my OB does it right in the office and they do your 28 week appt with the doctor in the hour that you are waiting, so it's not quite so bad. But I hated that drink and how yucky it made me feel!

34. Mrs. Lovejoy

clementine / 972 posts

@Tippy0707: You look great! Adorable.

Argh, yes these headaches you all are referring to! I thought it was the changes in weather (it's gone from 40 to -5 here in just a day or two, then back up). But, it persists. Drinking the loads of water has seemed to help tremendously with that and my energy levels.

I need to get over to our nursery board to get some inspiration from you guys. So totally uninspired with boy rooms right now. I don't have a very masculine side, so it's tough to put it all together!

I am so not looking forward to that glucose test. @PrincessBaby: Good luck! Hope it goes well.

35. blackbird

@PrincessBaby: I felt that way for mine with E. I ate before this one! All that sugar on an empty stomach nauseates me

36. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@jetsa: @Mrs. Lovejoy: @SeptMomma12: I will say that the 1 hour was not as awful as the 3 hour I took with DD1. I felt awful but then I quickly treated myself to a chai latte and an omelette and I feel a lot better. I'm a little road ragey but I can't decide if it's ME or if every annoying driver is out today, along with every bicyclist who loves to use main roads to travel alongside vehicles. I hope we all pass with flying colors!!!!

So glad it's over!!! I've been dreading it all week!

37. BabyPenguinXO

kiwi / 549 posts

For my 3 hour I took it at a closer hospital cause I travel 2.5 hours to see my doctor. yay high risk..

They made me sit completely still. Well I barely failed it and it was becAuse my MFM uses a more strict value system. I retake my 1 hour at 24 weeks feb 10th. I'm anticipating having it. But last time it was super diet controlled and considering I have s toddler to chase sitting still isn't really on my regimen a whole lot so I hope I don't have to do that again!

Does anyone know, if you have an ultrasound it shows low fluid, does it mean you have been leaking? Or how does it get low? I know your levels can increase again.

38. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@blackbird: Will you know your results today? I won't get mine until tomorrow:(

@BabyPenguinXO: Did your u/s show low fluid? I am not sure about how the fluid gets low but I have definitely read on here about people going extended periods with very low fluid and all was fine. I remember bc I found that so interesting- how the body still compensates for a lack of something and is genetically engineered to still take care of the baby.

39. blackbird

@BabyPenguinXO: Not necessarily. I know that's why certain medications are bad for you--they can cause you to make less amniotic fluid. You can NOT make enough in the first place. Your placenta could not be working as "effectively" either, too. That's only what I remember from seeing an MFM with E

You can drink lots of water or even get an IV to rehydrate and I think they can even inject more in, if you are not far enough along to deliver!

40. blackbird

@PrincessBaby: My results were in yesterday--it's a "no news is good news" office. So i didn't get a call, which means everything is fine. No idea what my score is

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee