Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

May 2015 Nursery Inspiration

1. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@SeptMomma12: Thank you for weighing in! I am going to see if I can get my hands on a swatch. I am driving my poor etsy seller nuts being so indecisive but at least I've narrowed it down to 2! Thank you again:)

PS: Did you order the rocker yet from PBK?

I was going to go ahead and order the rocker with the 15% off coupon, but they raised the price for the rocker and the ottoman back to full price, and I can't decide if I should wait on a better deal or not. The one I like offers quick ship, so in theory, we have time...

I'm procrastinating! I want to get the best deal....I don't know if 15% off this is the best deal? It's such a big purchase. I have less than 2 hours to decide. But I think I'll definitely at least get another 15% off coupon before now and then so worst case, just wait it out and get 15% off if nothing comes along?

This is not the best price, right?

2. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@PrincessBaby: Agreed. It seems like you should be able to get a better price, but PBK scares me with their constantly changing prices. We are still undecided on the rocker. I want something nice for her room but having a hard time justifying spending too much on a chair that will be covered in spit up!

3. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@SeptMomma12: It's also really annoying that the tiny ottoman is so crazy $$$! We have a large square tufted ottoman as kind of a coffee table in our Great Room from West Elm and it was definitely less than $300, custom fabric and everything! I don't know what they're thinking on the ottoman, and even though everyone on here says you have to have it, it's a bit much! I am sold on the rocker because I haven't found anything else I like as much, aesthetically. But they had better do something about that ottoman price!

4. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@PrincessBaby: Yeah we definitely wouldn't get the ottoman. It's ridiculous! I like when ottomans don't "match" the chair - there are so many fun, cheaper ones out there.

5. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@PrincessBaby: Did you get the email from PBK this morning with 20% off $500 or more. No exclusions. The code is SAVEMORE. Happy shopping

6. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@SeptMomma12: YES! I do think 20% is the best they'll do...So that's probably it...I got swatches in last night and am torn between two fabrics, so I'm going to let DH pick and then probably just order the damn thing. But I do agree with you, I like a fun pouf ottoman or fun color ottoman too! Even in my inspiration photo, the girl had a pouf ottoman that was super cute:)

One fabric is $899 and one is $1099. The more expensive one does feel nicer. It just seems so much more! DH has the same unfortunate disorder as I do, which is we are automatically in love with the most expensive option on things. We really suck at that. He is very laid back and will be like, "Just get the nicer one, it'll last forever..." Whereas I am more like "Anything from there is nice, so do we *really* need the higher level fabric??"

I do realize that if this is the toughest decision in my life right now, things are pretty good.

7. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@SeptMomma12: PS: The only time I ever saw a higher discount from anything PB was for Black Friday weekend, and PB Teen did 25% off purchases over a certain amount. That was when we ordered H's big girl furniture (it's the Coraline canopy bed and dresser). But I don't think PBK ever does 25% off, right?

8. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@SeptMomma12: You are so right about the pouf- it actually made me think maybe I could get one made in whatever crib fabric I end up using, and so I searched etsy and they look pretty nice!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/150666260/nursery-decor-floor-ottoman-pouf-pillow?ref=sc_1&plkey=8f59c9583b61567566780aecdcfafed4ed728d9c%3A150666260&ga_search_query=nursery+pouf&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

9. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@PrincessBaby: OMG, I love that pouf ottoman! Totally just saved it. That is perfect!!!

As for the fabric, I know my DH would automatically just say get the cheaper one! But if you think the chair will have a long life after the nursery, and the nicer one really feels that much nicer, I'd go for it.

We're going to go to the store on Monday to see things before ordering any furniture. DH is not a fan of ordering stuff online without seeing it in person first. I confirmed that the 20% off will still be going on!

10. jetsa

grapefruit / 4663 posts

@SeptMomma12: ahh that is a great code. I'm debating a PBK rocker. I really want something because I still use DS's glider almost daily and man is it showing wear after 16 months. Did they tell you when that code would end? My DH will be home tonight and I might be able to discuss with him tomorrow. I don't think we have any PBK's nearby. there is one about 2 hours away, do you have to pay shipping if you buy instore and will they accept that code instore? I've never bought from PBK.

11. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@SeptMomma12: You are so lucky to have a store near you! Our nearest is 4 hours away:( You could have rocker sent to store and avoid the ridiculous shipping! We had a lot of stuff sent to our PB store that we could pick up in DH's truck (barstools and things like that) and it saved so much...Thanks for the info that it goes through Monday...I have 4 more days to procrastinate and debate lol.

12. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@jetsa: It says it goes til Monday. I'm not sure how it works if you buy in-store vs online, but it sounds like (from @PrincessBaby) if you have it shipped to the store, you don't have to pay shipping, which can get ridiculous for their stuff.

We still have a glider from DS, but his room is tiny, so we just bought a cheap, ugly one to use in the living room for the newborn days. This baby's room will be larger so I'd like to get a nice one to keep in there!

@PrincessBaby: We actually have three stores within about 45 mins. It's a nice thing about being in the NYC suburbs! That's a good idea to ship to the store. DH has an old Ford Explorer he's getting rid of before baby - we should put it to good use while we can!

13. jetsa

grapefruit / 4663 posts

@SeptMomma12: @PrincessBaby: thanks ladies. We could definitely have it shipped to the store then.

14. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

Ok we bit the bullet and ordered our rocker! Feels so good to have gotten that done! We went with the linen blend gray instead of upgrading the fabric, and I feel relieved to have decided and gotten it DONE.

We also looked at paint colors this weekend. I'm thinking of going with sherwin williams "swimming." But I'm traumatized to commit bc I picked out a color for DD1's room and it looks a lot darker/brighter than I had anticipated, and DH is painting and not interested in correcting it - just wants to go with what we've got, so I'm going to think some more on DD2's color before committing!

15. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

@PrincessBaby: we have a very pale Aqua in our new nursery-I wish it was a smidge brighter but always better paler than darker! That purple is fug

16. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

How's the nursery decorating going for everyone?

I have finally decided on colors and a print for the bumper and the pillow/ottoman for the rocker. It will all be the same print...

I took a photo of it all together - painting, paint color, fabric swatch - on the gray PB sleeper sofa we just put in our office...The rocker will be a very similar color light gray. I'm pretty happy with it. The painter comes Wed so I had to nail everything down...

I gave up on a few other prints I was considering bc when I got the swatch, they just didn't work.

I also kind of like the shimmer of the polka dots:)

17. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@PrincessBaby: Love those colors/prints together! Our painting actually just came yesterday - I am in love!!! Now we need to start thinking about furniture, but we can't really order anything til the office is cleaned out and the guest room moved downstairs. Ugh.

18. jetsa

grapefruit / 4663 posts

I finally found some fabric i love to base little miss's nursery around!

19. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@SeptMomma12: Oh I'm so glad your painting came in and that you love it!!!

@jetsa: I love that! The colors are so pretty and I love that the prints make it so sweet:) Are you doing any type of initial print or anything on the wall? I have combed Pinterest and Etsy until my eyeballs fell out and I saw the most gorgeous flower print initial thing...I am going to find it and post it for you. I loved it and scoped it out for a few minutes, but I didn't think it would go with either of my girls' rooms...

We are rolling deep over here! Painters came today and painted the nursery and DD1's room...I'm feeling great about things moving along! Exactly 3 months from today is my projected induction date - April 27th. So I'm feeling less apprehensive about how close it's getting bc I feel like stuff is getting done!

I'd be totally horrified to show a pic of the whole nursery at this point bc of the state of extreme disarray that it's in, but I'm super excited that the paint color is exactly what I was hoping it would look like!

20. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@jetsa: I love this print - think it's so sweet, but totally not offended if it's not your thing:) I like that it can go on canvas too - I'm all about a canvas:) Your print you posted just reminded me of this:) Oh and she does custom colors to your nursery...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/187338432/baby-girls-floral-monogram-print-coral?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=flower+initial&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_view_type=gallery

21. jetsa

grapefruit / 4663 posts

@PrincessBaby: that IS awesome thank you!

22. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@jetsa: I LOVE that print. So pretty! And so many awesome colors to work from.

23. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@jetsa: I should have posted this pic below...It made me go "Wow!"

24. Mrs squirreld

nectarine / 2522 posts

@PrincessBaby: I love those colours and prints together... gorgeous!
    @jetsa: love the fabric!! Cannot wait ti see what you come up with!
    @PrincessBaby: that print is devine...i might have to have a look at that etsy shop!!

I bought a second hand dresser today so cheap....cannot wait to get started... it's going to be mint green with a woodtop. Here is a pic of what I bought, I already took the wooden knobs off and the inspiration pic to give you an idea I think I'll order these drawer pulls from etsy for the bottom 6 drawers and then the knobs for the top three! Can't wait to get started.

25. Mrs squirreld

nectarine / 2522 posts

And for those who don't follow me on instagram..I found this gorgeous cushion today...so cute

26. yellowbird

honeydew / 7303 posts

@Mrs squirreld: stalker here! Where did you find that cushion?!!? I'm doing a cute weather theme 8n my nursery and that is adorable!

27. Mrs squirreld

nectarine / 2522 posts

@yellowbird: in Kmart australia....so that probably doesn't help sorry!! I'm going to totally stalk yours now too - when are you due? Love this theme

28. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@Mrs squirreld: That is going to be beautiful! Are you doing it with chalk paint? I used chalk paint on a couple of things here and was amazed at how easy it was and how well it covered. I love that "perfectly imperfect" look:)

We are actually having our painter paint DD2's nursery furniture (which is mahogany) in Annie Sloane chalk paint- to make it a medium white with very light distressing:)

29. yellowbird

honeydew / 7303 posts

@Mrs squirreld: march 30! We're having a boy so ours is blue grey and black with some pops of yellow. We barely have anything together so far, but I'll post pics when we do!

30. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@Mrs squirreld: loving your dresser idea!

31. Mrs squirreld

nectarine / 2522 posts

@yellowbird: congrats...love the colours - cant wait to see
    @PrincessBaby: Thankyou, I will look into chalkpaint...hopefully it's available here
    @marionberry: thanks

I'm on a roll now...just bought this champange gold light shaggy rug love it!

32. Mrs squirreld

nectarine / 2522 posts

@PrincessBaby: Just researched chalkpaint and it looks so great, but is pricey... although when you factor in the need for no priming or sanding it isn't really is it? One question... did you finish with a soft wax over the top or did you just leave it as painted? How is wear and tear etc? I'm looking at the Annie Sloan stuff

33. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@Mrs squirreld: for my tiny projects, I didn't use a wax. But I did a mirror and definitely will be doing a clear wax on it so it looks finished. When it dries, it looks more chalky and less finished if it doesn't have a wax.

Just for reference, I had sent this to our painter and I want to do our mahogany nursery furniture like these cabinets. Annie Sloane is expensive but it is so much less work and is very heavy coverage. The painter says our furniture is a 2 day job and she's super booked right now, but I'm hoping this is going to be completed in the next couple of weeks.
    http://www.storywooddesigns.com/2013/10/25/makeover-monday-extreme-makeover-kitchen-edition/

34. Mrs squirreld

nectarine / 2522 posts

@PrincessBaby: great, thankyou so much that really helps. I'll definitely order the wax then too. Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

35. Mrs squirreld

nectarine / 2522 posts

@PrincessBaby: we decided against the chalkpaint after much indecision....we would have had to buy 3 different colours to blend to get the colour we wanted...it was getting SUPER expensive....

So we found a great primer and paint in one that only required a light sand prior to application. Super easy and it has gone on great so far!!! So excited to see it finished.

36. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@Mrs squirreld: That color is gorgeous!!!

37. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@Mrs squirreld: That is so so SO pretty!!!!

I have our painters doing the crib furniture today in the Annie Sloan chalk paint....It will be a medium white color - I didn't want bright white but didn't want off-white. With very little distressing on the edges. I'm SUPER nervous about it bc it's really nice furniture and what if I don't like it?

It's currently the mahogany color from PBK, and I'm having them do her crib, changing table/dresser, a Cameron storage cube thingy, and a side table (for the rocker whenever it comes in). I'll post pics, but basically, it's a shit ton of money to screw up if it gets screwed up. And to add to my uneasiness, my DH didn't want to do it. He thinks it's too nice to mess with, and doesn't really get the whole concept of the chalk paint not being like regular paint. So we didn't totally agree on doing it, but he said that was just his opinion and obviously I can do what I want because all house decorating decisions basically defer to me, but I guess that's adding to my uneasiness - that he wasn't 1000% on board. Ok, he wasn't even like 10% on board, and I really never do anything that he's not on board with. Mainly bc we usually feel the same about stuff, or he's indifferent.

I'll post pics when it's done tomorrow. Damn I"m nervous!

This is LO's crib and changing table (stock photos)...It's not so bad mahogany - it's making me doubt myself!

38. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@PrincessBaby: Good luck! Definitely keep us posted - can't wait to see how it looks!

We're looking at PBK furniture (crib/dresser/bookshelf) for this LO. Is the quality good? I have a bunch of PB furniture and have been very happy with it but have never bought any PBK furniture. DH thought the samples in the store felt flimsy, but I'm thinking (hoping) that's just from abuse in the store.

I'm looking at these two (first is Madison, second is Catalina). Can't decide which back I like better!

39. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@SeptMomma12: I'll let you know! I went and checked on things and they're on the first coat and even though it's streaky it looks pretty good so I'm just staying away and hoping for the best:)

Ok, so I have a PB/PBK addiction problem. Even PBT - we bought H's new big girl set from there. They just always have stuff I like, it's my style (I'm not into modern square furniture), and the quality is excellent. I've never purchased absolutely anything I"ve been disappointed with....And even though it's more expensive, I just don't have the time or patience to comb furniture stores in person, only to never find something I like as much (or as good of quality/solid wood), so I accept now that when we buy furniture we pay more, but we get exactly what we want and it's easy, it just shows up with white glove delivery:) So I'm very pro PBK! I do think the store models in the kids store get a lot of wear and tear...When I was out of town for work this past week, there was a PBK nearby. I actually went to see that round mirror in person before I bought it (so glad it did, it was a lot smaller than I envisioned and not worth $200 for that size), and they had some floor models for sale of some things - an upholstered rocker that looked like 9 million people sat in it at once, and then they had that white unicorn rocking horse thingy with the gold horn and it was BEAT DOWN. I remember when that rocking unicorn came out just a few months ago because I thought about getting it for H for her birthday. So it could not have been on their floor that long and it was just sad looking. None of my stuff has ever worn like that in the years that I've had it, so take that for what it's worth. I definitely noticed that those floor models had not had an easy time of things:)

As far as your two cribs - I will be zero help because I think both are stunning! I like the first one *slightly* better but that's only because on the second one, the wood is not one big smooth piece, it's that thing they do sometimes where it almost looks like individual panels of wood (but I don't think it is, I think it's just made to look that way)...It's just a pattern carved into the wood and I like one smooth piece. This came up when looking at big girl beds for H and they had several headboards like that and I wanted them to just be one big smooth piece. That is obviously just a style preference, and you cannot go wrong with either!

How do you feel about the open spacing in the second crib? On one hand, I think it could be cool if you do that super light blue - it will pop in the background against the white. But on the other hand, seeing the blue might be a distraction?

I hope I'm not making your decision even harder! I'm just thinking hard for you

40. SeptMomma12

pear / 1849 posts

@PrincessBaby: Thank you! That makes me feel better. I assumed the store stuff was just beat up (and who knows how well put together in the first place), but wanted to be sure!

I think I slightly prefer the first one also. DH thinks it is more feminine. I'm hoping our PBK will have both to see in store when we go next week. We're going to drop LO at day care on President's Day and try to do all our baby shopping that day.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee