Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

New Year, New Babes - January 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@MrsHansen82: Whoa, you make me feel better about my almost 13 lber. She put on a lot of weight these past few weeks and I'm hoping it will slow soon. Good luck at work next week!

@Espion: Baby smiles are the best. My kids make me work way too hard for them sometimes.

2. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

@Radish: I know, I keep wondering if it's possible for them to to be too chunky! How tall is you LO? K was 23in at her 8 week appointment. That was a month ago.

3. Cupcake

apricot / 495 posts

Hello! I'm still alive, even though I seriously feel like a zombie. Working full time with 2 under 2 and an adult man child is exhausting.

LOs Age: 16 weeks
    Weight: 15lbs. Chubs is wearing size 4 diapers and 6-9 month clothing.
    Recent Milestones: giggles!
    Current Struggles: cradle cap, what I'm hoping is just ezcema and possibly something viral, he now has a bit of rash on his belly. If it's not gone by tomorrow I'm throwing in the towel and seeing the dr.
    Random Tidbit: H has such a sunny disposition- is so happy and talkative he makes me what all the babies. I told DH the other day that I want 10 more just like him. And then I come to my senses.

4. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@MrsHansen82: i think she was 23 1/2 at her appt last week. Dd1 was just petite so it's throwing me off to put her in 6 month clothes at two months.

@Cupcake: he's too cute! Dd1 had a virus this weekend and I'm so happy dd2 didn't seem to get it, though she's been cranky today so...

5. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@Cupcake: aw giggles! We aren't there yet...almost! He is such a cutie.

What are everyone's future baby plans? We are on the fence about 3 kids. I have always wanted 3 but there are some days i want to call it quits at 2!

6. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@SleepyMonkey: that's similar to where i am. Always wanted 3 but really leaning towards 2 now, because I've been exhausted for the past year and just don't want to go through it again at the expense of fun things with the two we already have. We will decide for sure in a year because i won't have a third more than 5 years after dd1.

7. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@Radish: i know...sooooo exhausted and missing my life on certain days. Its funny, i always say if we are going to have a third, i am going to wait 5 years so that the first 2 are more self sufficient and (hopefully) sleeping thru the night consistently! But then i will be 39 and i wonder if my body can handle the exhaustion of the newborn days and doing it all over again.

8. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

Whoa, I'm way late to this party. I've been sick the last couple of days, and DH was out of town this weekend and is out of town again tonight. So, just a little out of it over here.

LOs Age: 14 weeks

Weight: I think about 12.5lbs. (We don't have a scale, so I weigh myself at my parents' and then weigh myself holding her, lol.)

Recent Milestones: So much babbling, so many smiles, and the rare chuckle! Also she tried to sit up when she's leaned/laying back. It's hilarious--like baby crunches!

Current Struggles: Still sleep. Some nights she does awesome, others we feel like we have no idea what the heck we're doing.

Random Tidbit: Our sitter thinks she's teething already. Tons of drool and she's chewing her hands all the time, even when she's not hungry. I guess we'll see!

9. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@SleepyMonkey: @Radish: E is number one for us, and we know we want at last 2. Honestly, I think we'll just see how things go after that. In our heads, we'd love 4 if we could afford it. But we'll have to see how I feel after 2, and how expensive these little minions turn out to be.

10. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@mfa_lady: i find the expense to be more of your sanity than monetary.

11. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@Radish: PREACH. I think I can vouch for that, and I'm only 3 months in!

12. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

@SleepyMonkey: @mfa_lady: @Radish:

I've always wanted three but we are pretty sure we are one and done at this point. Maybe I'll change my mind when she gets a little older but I've really been struggling with sleep, and K's feeding issues and right now I can hardly imagine going through this again! Plus pregnancy was really difficult for me. It's pretty disappointing having such fantasies about being pregnant and having a baby and then reality sets in that it's like the hardest thing ever.

I've been thinking lately that I've started to get a touch of PPD but I don't know what is normal and what isn't. Some days I feel on top of the world and some days I could just cry when she cries. I'm going to check out the hospitals Baby and Me group so in hoping connecting with other moms IRL will help.

Has anyone else been having mood swings still? I thought everything was supposed to be balanced out by now. I got Mirena a few weeks ago so maybe that's contributing as well.

13. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@MrsHansen82: I've been really down this week, but i know my hormones are changing because i started losing hair at the same time and have been extra anxious. It never hurts to talk to a doctor about it, even if the end result is just getting it off your chest and them saying it's okay. Maybe going back to work well help you a lot.

14. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

@Radish: I think I will talk to my doctor if things don't get better in a week or so. I only hesitate because she offered me Zoloft when I was still pregnant because I mentioned having a history of anxiety. I don't want her to push me to take meds just yet.

15. Cupcake

apricot / 495 posts

@Radish: I started the shed this week too. I forgot how terrible it is!

@MrsHansen82: I've been feeling super emotional the last few weeks. Like snuggles make me cry, and the new presidential candidate announcements make me cry, LOL

16. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@Cupcake: it's like never ending! My showers take forever now and you find it around the baby's fingers and the toddler is playing with the ones she finds random places.... uugghh life is so great when you don't shed.

17. Cupcake

apricot / 495 posts

@Radish: oh I get it. DS1 has this thing, that if I don't break the habit soon, his ass will be on my strange addiction when he's 30. He's obsessed with my hair. He has to play with it, which then turns into sucking it, which then he tries to feed it to the baby, and lastly kissing it. And I'm not talking the shedding hair. The hair that's attached. Which inevitably ends up getting pulled out. He's a freak. So that's not helping. I don't even realize he's doing it either. He'll sucker me into a good cuddle sesh. And the next thing I know he's indulging. So weird...

18. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@Cupcake: i used to chew on my hair as an anxiety thing in elementary school, so i kind of get it. O.o flashbacks.

19. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

My hair started falling out yesterday. I had forgotten about pp hair loss.
    Sucks.

I'm with you girls with big babies, it's like they steal the babyness. C is at least slimmer than L was but still of the charts in height. People always expect that they're older than they are and are surprised they're not doing age appropriate things. I had a mom side eye C for not sitting up at a playgroup. It's good that they're health and strong, but I'd like a baby that feels like a baby ya know.

20. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

@Cupcake: Haha omg I read your comment as DH being obsessed with your hair! I was like wow that's interesting...

21. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@mfa_lady: baby crunches are so funny! Time to buckle her in.

22. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@SleepyMonkey: we're still thinking four. I think if number three is a bad sleeper we'll call it. Both my girls have been easy in that department so I think our perspective on newborns is falsely confident.

23. Cupcake

apricot / 495 posts

Also a friendly PSA. if any of you plan on having another nugget- refuse the butt cream they offer you. The hospital charged me $340.65 for a 30 g tube of 2.5% hydrocortisone cream. The "revenue integrity" team got back to me today to let me know that, that is infact the correct charge for that particular item. Ps I didn't even need it for my butt. I needed it because they unnecessarily stuck these electrode things on my belly a few days prior after I got into a car accident and I was having an allergic reaction to the adhesive! So it was their fault I needed it in the first place!

24. Cupcake

apricot / 495 posts

@MrsHansen82: LOL can you imagine!?

25. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@Cupcake: yikes!

26. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@MrsHansen82: i felt similar with dd1. Like no way am i ever doing this again. It could change. And if it doesn't, that is fine too! I think i did have some mild ppd with dd1 too. I talked to my dr about it (actually cried about it, not talked) and she gave me some therapist recommendations. I never saw any but it helped to know that i could if i wanted to. It got better when i went back to work...i hate saying that but it is true. Sleep was a big mood decider for me. If i got enough sleep I felt so happy. Not enough, i would feel like "is this my life now? This can't be all there is!"

@Cupcake: i have a friend whose daughter has the same addiction! She has to play with my friends hair to fall asleep. Its like a soothing mechanism. Kids are funny! And It is crazy about that cream! I know that when i had pink eye right before i delivered (so miserable), they charged me $100 for this inch tall bottle of eye drops. Like it is 0.08 ounces of eye drops. $100. And i had to buy 3 bottles because i had it in both eyes, TWICE. So insane...and that was the generic!

@oliviaoblivia: @mfa_lady: wow 4! I always said if i had unlimited financial means, i would have 5 kids. I think big families are awesome, but i don't have it in me to raise 5 kids without 24/7 help!

My hair hasn't started falling out yet. It started with dd1 at 4 months so i think i have a few weeks left to enjoy my beautiful pregnancy hair. This is the best my hair has been in 15 years. I am going to be so sad when it starts shedding!

27. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Radish: @oliviaoblivia: my hair has started shedding too. *booo*

@SleepyMonkey: I am in the maybe 3 camp too. Before I had my first I had always wanted 3 but now I am pretty content with my two. We'll see in a year or so. I'm only 31 though so I have time.

@oliviaoblivia: It seriously so weird to have a normal to small sized baby. My DS is on the norm curve for a 3 year old and turned 2 Easter Saturday. So this is all new to me.

28. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

Ugh, yes, the shedding! I'm so upset--I had the best hair of my life when I was pregnant. I knew it couldn't last forever, but man. It was like one day I had these gorgeous voluminous locks and the next day (EXACTLY 3 months PP, to be exact), I had about 2/3 of it left. And it just kept going downhill from there. Showers are no fun anymore.

@MrsHansen82: I think I honestly had a touch of PPD, too. For me, it peaked around 9-10 weeks and has gotten better from there. That was also a rough time for E, because her two month shots were so brutal, so I'm sure that was a factor, too.

@SleepyMonkey: Yeah, I'm one of 2 and DH is one of 6, so 4 would be a very literal compromise for us! Haha. I'm just really not sure I can handle it, especially since (at least right now) I LOVE my job and seem to really need that outlet for my sanity. Haha. We'll definitely regroup after two and see what we think. I'm also pretty sure that if we have two girls first, I'll definitely be in for a third. Ha! DH looooves DD, but he is also a total man's man and I know would really, really love to have a son. No guarantees, of course, but I know he'll want to give it the old college try.

29. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@Cupcake: He is adorable! I can't believe he is already in that seat - I need to get our exersaucer out this weekend, he looks like he loves it!

@MrsHansen82: Hugs to you - I felt exactly the same way as you with my first. I had always wanted a big family and when she was born I was firmly one and done for the first 6-8 months. It's like I couldn't believe this was the life we chose / how much different it was than what I imagined. I also think I had PPD but I never saw anyone for it - I definitely regret that because I feel like I was pretty miserable and maybe it could have been better, so definitely talk to someone if you think it might help even just a little! Things started getting better when I went back to work, and then again around 6 months when we had a really reliable schedule, knew what to expect in terms of sleep, and she would finally nap / sleep in her room. Hang in there!

I had L's weight appointment yesterday and it went better than I was expecting thankfully. He dropped further to the 10th percentile, but he grew a ton in height and head circumference so the doc is not as worried as she initially was. DD was always 5-10th percentile so we think maybe L was just way bigger than he should have been at birth and now is settling into his normal petite curve. I'm weaning from EP-ing so being on 100% formula might help too, we go back in a month for another check.

Weaning from EP-ing has been a struggle, but it has been 18 hours since my last pump and I am surviving! Hoping to just pump for comfort at this point but we'll see how it goes.

My hair is also falling out like crazy, it is so disgusting. I spend 10 minutes of my 15 minute shower trying to get the hair off of me, and I if I don't clean the drain out every single time it looks like a german shepherd lives in our house. GROSS.

30. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

Omg you guys are scaring me with the hair loss!! Mine is still thick, but apparently not for long!

31. charmed

persimmon / 1177 posts

Trying to catch up here - still following along, just hard to reply on my phone.

@namaste: my LO is super drooly too!
    @oliviaoblivia: wow, first tooth already! Hoping that A doesn't get teeth soon, but with all the drooling and chewing I'm afraid she's starting to.
    @Cupcake: adorable!

@SleepyMonkey: we're a 2 maybe 3 family. It depends on how quickly I get pregnant with #2 (definitely not trying until #1 is a year, though!!), and then it will be how well I survive with 2 kids at home. Unless DH gets a major raise in the next few years, I still need to work. And I'm finding that it's really hard to get even a half day of work in unless my mom is watching A.

@Radish: @oliviaoblivia: @Pumuckl: @mfa_lady: add me to the shedding list My hair has always been really thin (and it never got that thick while I was pregnant), so I'm terrified to see what it's going to be like now.

LOs Age: 3 months tomorrow
    Weight: around 12lbs
    Recent Milestones: started giggling/laughing when tickled
    Current Struggles: going back to sleep after MOTN wakeups. She used to just pass back out after nursing, but lately it's been an 1-1.5 hour ordeal getting her back to sleep
    Random Tidbit: We went out to dinner with friends who have a 15 month old son, and survived All of us got to eat, and there were no screaming fits from either kid. It was a little scary to look at their son and know that's our life exactly 1 year from now!

32. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@SleepyMonkey: One and done here

@MrsHansen82: Sending you hugs So sorry things are hard. We're here if you need to chat.

@Radish: I'll be bald soon I'm sure lol so annoyed with hair everywhere.

@charmed: I love tickling A. Her giggles are too funny.

33. keepcalmcarrie

persimmon / 1096 posts

Updating from my phone so I can't reply to everyone, but OMG with the hair loss. I don't remember it being this bad the first time around! Oh well, at least my scalp will be nice and cool this summer

@MrsHansen82: I definitely felt like that with my first, and it gets much better once they're in a better rhythm and have longer sleep stretches. I still get like that with our plans for 3 - most days it sounds great, and then occasionally I'm like "yeah, no..." Especially right now. Both boys are sick with head colds. Ughhhhh.

LOs Age: 13 weeks
    Weight: almost 16 lbs
    Recent milestones: Laughing, swinging fists at dangling toys, rolling front to back, trying to roll back to front
    Current Struggles: first cold - sooo stuffy, poor buddy. Still hates the car seat - sigh.
    Random Tidbit: Just started back to work (freelance writer working a flexible schedule from home, so it's pretty casual). I'm excited to get a paycheck again (it's been over 6 months, this is mostly for fun money) - but I'm also scared of looking after both of them during the day and fitting in work in the evenings and weekends. Goodbye, tiny stretches of free time. It was nice while it lasted...

34. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: I hope your boys get better soon! 16 lbs! I'm glad that means is tummy issues didn't affect his weight gain. Enjoy working! I always have at least one kid with me when I'm awake, so I don't even know this free time of which you speak. Luckily, with the baby I can actually watch the tv I want to.

35. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

I'm having fun reading these updates!

@mfa_lady: we seriously need to get our girls together. She is also a hand chewer and drooooooly. I asked how she got red marks on her knuckles, and it's b/c she is really trying to eat her own hand.

I'm sad to read about the hair loss. Just this morning I wondered if I was out of the woods on that one. I've always had fine hair, and having a thick mane has been so fun.

I'm back at work this week! My sister and mom have been watching our girl. She goes to the babysitter next week. My schedule is really nice--I work in the schools 60% of the time and do freelance work at home for the rest.

@Cupcake: I haven't looked to see how much they charged for the meds. Well, I quickly looked it over and moved on b/c I knew it would make me sick. I asked for a cream, too, b/c I have an adhesive allergy and had a rash from where the blue sheet they drape over you for a c-section. I would also take my own drugs next time! I was naive and thought they just gave that stuff to you--my sister, a nurse, laughed so hard at me for that one.

@keepcalmcarrie: what kind of writing do you do?

@MrsHansen82: hugs to you. My pediatrician said it could happen months afterwards. I'm glad you're checking in with someone to get help. Many of my friends who went through something like that didn't really even realize it until someone said something to them or they pulled out of it much later, so it's a good thing that you're aware and seeking help!

36. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@Happygal: Yes, we do! Now that it's nice out (well, not this week with all the rain) we should really make it happen. I'm quite familiar with the drive to your neck of the woods and would love a little outing.

@Cupcake: @Happygal: My hospital charged me $50 PER PILL for the IBUPROFEN I took while I was there. I mean, IT'S ADVIL, PEOPLE! Please excuse the caps lock, but, honestly. It's highway robbery. The best (worst?) part is that they wrote me a prescription for the same high-dosage ibuprofen when I got discharged, and a bottle of 270 (don't even ask me why she ordered so many) cost $3 at the pharmacy. Yes. THREE DOLLARS. How does that math work out?!

37. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

OMG, we didn't even get an itemized bill last time and I told DH I didn't even want to know because it would infuriate me way too much. I haven't gotten a bill for this time yet.

38. Cupcake

apricot / 495 posts

@mfa_lady: girl, they charged me .40/ pill. That included the dulcolax, and ibprofen. I was there for 25 hours and I had maybe 4 of each. They charged me .40 for a box of tucks pads (25 ct) so when my "medications" listed at over $400 on the not detailed bill I was like well crap, I didn't have an epidural, and I know they didnt give me fluids. And a bag of pitocin, which was only $15!!! That doesn't make any sense. So when I got the detailed bill I was amazed. I can buy the same damn thing with a prescription for like $4!! What a bunch of malarkey.

39. Cupcake

apricot / 495 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: 16lbs what a big nugget!

40. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

We have bronchiolitis / RSV AGAIN. I feel like we were all healthy for like 3 weeks and now L is so sick again :-(. We ended up in the ER this morning because he was struggling to breathe and retracting so much, they gave him two breathing treatments and sent us home with a nebulizer this time. So sick of having sick kids! He is so miserable this time too

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee