Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

New Year, New Babes - January 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. keepcalmcarrie

persimmon / 1096 posts

Ugh, worst 2 weeks of parenting for me, ever.

Both of them are STILL sick. J briefly had croup, which cleared with the steroid but he's still coughing and stuffy. H now has bronchiolitis, likely from RSV. Took him to the pedi yesterday, and she said this could go on for a few more weeks. Ughhhhh. He's also still reflux-y. He was up every two hours last night. At this rate, there won't be a 4 month sleep regression, because his sleep can't get much worse than it is now.

On the bright side, he's smiley when he's not coughing. He is already rolling front to back, and he's so close to rolling back to front - one pesky elbow in the way! He was 16 lb 7 oz and 25.5 inches at his appt yesterday. Growing like a weed!

2. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: Aww, hugs. I hope the worst is behind you and the clouds part! I'm impressed with his rolling.

3. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: aww *big hugs* that is terrible! Glad to hear he's smiling. Hopefully things will get better soon!

A few weeks ago LO got sick too... we had to go the hospital because it sounded like he was having trouble breathing and they used this industrial nose sucker thing and got a ton of mucus out and it was amazing! he breathed so much better, they said to nose Freda him every few hours to get the mucus out and he was a lot better after that!

4. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

Just got back from our trip to turks & caicos! It was pretty fun and the flights went well. J slept for most of them and she nursed well. Dd1 had an awesome time even though she was sick part of the time. Now back to reality. My mat leave is over in a week! So bummed. J is super smiley these days and we got some giggles from her too which is just the best. She is also huge. 6 month clothes are getting tight already! Wah. Where did my teeny baby go?

5. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@SleepyMonkey: Glad y'all had a good time! B is also filling out 6 month old clothes

6. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

@SleepyMonkey: Oh I'm jealous!! That sounds so nice.

7. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

catching up!

@keepcalmcarrie: i'm so sorry your LOs have been sick. How are they doing now? and wow, he is HUGE!

@Raindrop: welcome back! Sorry to hear that you had to take him to the hospital. How scary! and i am glad to hear that you are talking to someone. totally not surprised...your experience was terrifying. i remember reading it and telling my husband about it. i thought the scariest thing you said was that none of the blood in your body was yours. anyway, big hugs

@MrsHansen82: good for you that you are going to talk to someone as well. being a first time mom is the hardest thing i've ever done by far. i had a really hard time adjusting and i wish i had talked to someone.

8. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

@SleepyMonkey: it really is so crazy hard! But that smiling face when I get home from work makes the whole stressful day melt away

9. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

@SleepyMonkey: Sounds like an amazing trip! Kids grow up fast! Also sizes are weird... I have some 9 month stuff that fits LO right now and some that is way too big.

10. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

What size diapers are your LOs in? I just moved B to size 3 which is crazy to me since LO1 is mostly in size 4 still, but very necessary.

11. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

@Radish: K is in size 2 and probably will be for a while. She seems to have plateaued a bit with weight gain. Maybe because I'm back at work and she doesn't eat as much from DH as she does from me. I think she's around 15lbs. Still big though!

12. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@Radish: We're still in size 1s! E is a skinny little thing, but she's so long she has a plumber's crack sometimes in her 1s. But, we tried 2s this weekend and it was blowout city, so I'd rather a plumber's crack than poop all over her clothes. I'm certain the box we just bought will be the last one, though. She's growing like a weed!

ETA: I think she's about 13 pounds, but will find out for sure at her 4-month checkup on Thursday.

13. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@Radish: We are also still in size 1's, L is teeny tiny too. We have his 4 month check up Wed.

Since stoping EP-ing he has become so ridiculously constipated, its awful :-(. This morning I was hysterical on the phone with our nurse's line basically just wanting to be seen by them so they could help me get the poop out because nothing was working...but finally after THREE HOURS of using the thermometer and suppositories (during which he and I were both crying the entire time), he passed a ton of big hard poops. I am SO hoping he will feel better now. He's been napping for the past 2 hours and I definitely am not waking him up after what we went through this morning, I feel like we were in a battle!

14. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@Radish: we are on our last 2s. Our next box is a 3. Her poops have been coming out the back so i think its time! I am pretty sure dd1 wasn't in 3s until she was 6 months or so. I think she is 14.5 lbs now!

15. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@HappyBaker: oh poor guy! I am sure it is just an adjustment period and poops will go back to normal soon.

16. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

B is growing too quickly! Waaa. She pees a ton and this past week shes been pooping less frequently and a lot more when she goes. Size 2's were not always cutting it.

17. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@Radish: yes, less frequent poops but when she does poop, they are gigantic...lots of blowouts!

18. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

We're using the last of our twos. She's around fifteen pounds but very tall. I'm packing away her six month sleepers.

@HappyBaker: hope he's feeling better. DD1 had a lot of constipation as a baby, it was tough seeing her so uncomfortable.

@Radish: finally cured DD2's cradle cap...read one of your old threads with A and bought all the mustela cradle cap stuff. I'm so glad to be rid of it. She had these huge huge pieces on her head that were coming up like I was scalping her. So awful! So thanks for the recommendation two years later.

19. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@oliviaoblivia: haha, awesome! Whenever B starts getting a dry patch I make sure to rub it really well at her next bath and it's like magic.

20. charmed

persimmon / 1177 posts

@SleepyMonkey: A vacation sounds amazing right now

@Radish: Just using the last of our size 1's now. I think the 2's are a little big still, but we definitely need the extra absorbency, especially at night!

@HappyBaker: that sounds awful hope he adjusts soon!

A has been on a daytime boob strike for the last week and a half She nurses fine at night, and usually right before bed and first thing in the morning. But the rest of the day she'll nurse for a minute, then pop off and either start screaming or just play around and not really eat.
    So I've been pumping during the day and giving her bottles. Such a pain, but I'm hoping it's just a short strike that she grows out of. She also has a tooth coming in, so I think that's part of it.

And exactly 1 year ago today I found out I was pregnant!

21. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@charmed: sorry about the strike. Hopefully just a short phase.

complaining about two things...i am having recurring clogged ducts because of blebs. I have had at least 7 in the last 2 weeks. It is really frustrating. I have to pick at my nipple with a needle and sometimes it draws blood. How much longer can i do that for if i want to keep breastfeeding? Second, i am on my last week of mat leave. I am so depressed about this and have tremendous mom guilt about going back to work.

22. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

@Raindrop: I had to go and read your birth story. Scary is right?! How are you doing?

@SleepyMonkey: your vacation? Fun (and I'm jealous)! Needles anywhere around the boob? Not fun at allllll. Maternity leave is a really special time. Are you going back to work full time?

So my girl is 14.5 weeks, but it seems she's entered the 4 month regression early. Not that we had much progress to begin with--we're still up every three hours with a "I need to be with you" wake up time around 4 or 5 (I can usually get her back to sleep in our bed, but it's not good sleep for me). Last night she was ready to rock n' roll and insisted I join the party. Lots of coffee this morning. Lots of it.

23. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@SleepyMonkey: Ugh the blebs/blisters/clogged ducts are what made me stop EP-ing so early (a few weeks ago). I really didn't mind pumping but my boobs were always rock hard and so painful from being clogged, unless I picked at them with a needle every single session, which never happened while I was at work. I was SUCH a mean person during that time. Hang in there, I feel for you! Have you tried olive oil on a cotton ball? That seemed to marginally help me.

We had L's 4 month check up this morning and although he gained some weight he dropped percentiles again, he is now only in 5th for weight and his head percentile dropped a ton for some reason too? The weight gain combined with spit up / poop issues were enough for our doctor to suggest switching to soy formula for 2 weeks to see if that makes any difference. I've read so many awful things about soy but am going to at least try it for the 2 weeks and see what happens then figure out what to do from there.

24. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@Happygal: yes going back full time i think i am not meant to be a sahm but i am still sad about it. Speaking of 4 month regression, i think we might be going thru something too. She used to go to sleep without a peep and wake up once, nurse and go back to sleep and wake around 8. Now she fusses on and off starting around 9pm until i bring her into bed with me. Then when she wakes up to nurse she is wiiiiddee awake for like an hour. Then she has been waking up at 630. I know its not bad but its a little deviation from her normal sleep.

@HappyBaker: its so frustrating! I don't know what is causing them. I started taking lecithin and i did read about the olive oil but i actually have this nipple cream that is made of that plus some other stuff so i have been using that and also scrubbing with a washcloth to exfoliate. I haven't had one in 4 days which is an improvement over last week when i had one every day! Maybe i was eating too many rich foods on vacation?? No idea. So annoying. Good luck with the new formula! Hopefully it helps with the weight gain and he takes well to it.

25. keepcalmcarrie

persimmon / 1096 posts

@SleepyMonkey: I am a SAHM now, but I went back to work for two months after my first LO was born. I can honestly say that the anticipation of it - the dread of leaving him, the enormous guilt I felt - were SO much worse than the reality of going back. I mean, I was definitely sad for a few days, and in the end I decided to quit and stay home (partly because the job was extremely stressful and unfulfilling) - but I just want to share my experience that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be to go back. I was even happy to see my coworkers again, to be alone sometimes, to get a coffee. I'm not at all trying to minimize your feelings because I know how awful I felt leading up to it, but for me and everyone else I talked with about this, the sadness leading up to the end of maternity leave was much more intense than the actual experience of going back. Big hugs

26. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: thanks this is just so different than how i felt going back to work with #1. i basically skipped back to work then, i was so happy to go back. this feeling of guilt and dread is new to me because i enjoyed mat leave so tremendously this time around. i am certain i will be a better mom as a wohm, though, and i do enjoy my job quite a bit.

27. keepcalmcarrie

persimmon / 1096 posts

@SleepyMonkey: I totally forgot you are on LO#2, so you've been down this road before! I'm sure it's hard, I hate those feelings - but as you said, it's what's best for you as a mama. I hope you're able to soak up these last few days!

I've enjoyed these first few months much more this time around too - I wonder if we're just more relaxed? I've also noticed that I look at H as much more of a baby than I did at this point with J. Probably because he seems so tiny and helpless still next to my toddler, but the rolling and the cooing and all the other stuff he's starting to do are sneaking up on me! He was showing intense interest in a bagel I was eating earlier and I remembered that I started J on baby food at 4 months, and I can't believe H is almost there!

Some days really seem to drag right now with his never-ending illness (he's going for a chest x-ray and getting nebulizer treatments if he hasn't improved by Monday, it's lingering too long - please cross your fingers that he turns around this weekend) but this time really is so fleeting, so I'm trying to enjoy it and not keep wishing we were at the next stage.

28. Mrs. Blue

blogger / pomelo / 5361 posts

@charmed: Your nursing strike sounds like what we went through, except Graham refuses all bottles. I just kept trying to feed him for however long he would eat as often as he would eat. It lasted a good couple of weeks and he still has one or two feedings a day where he will only nurse for a few minutes on one side and then be done. I hope it ends quickly for you!

29. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: I'm so sorry you're still dealing with sickness. That's rough!

30. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: i totally agree with you, the first 4 months with this one were so much easier and enjoyable! I am so sorry to hear about the illnesses though, poor baby. Will cross my fingers he gets better soon.

The nanny took both girls today just for a test run. Think dd2 did well! She took a bottle well but didnt nap so good. She still seems happy though, if a little tired. I missed her but i went shopping for myself (eh....my body is different...sigh) and now getting a pedicure so my feet don't look like troll feet.

31. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

We are in size 2! We did not last long in newborns or size 1 but he's holding on to size 2 for a bit. My first blasted through newborn, 1 and 2 and was in 3 forever. Hopefully it is the same for this one.

@HappyBaker: Sorry to hear about the pooing issue! When we stopped giving breast milk to my first he had major issues and then it resolved so I hope the same goes for you! Good luck! Sorry it must be tough.

@charmed: Boo on the boob strike!

@SleepyMonkey: Clogged ducts suck... have you tried taking Lecithin? I had a clogged duct early on and the nurse told me to start taking Lecithin, I take the sunflower version... there is a peanut version but I'm allergic to peanuts. I have not had a bad clogged duct since.. I have had some close calls where it seemed like a clogged duct was about to happen but it quickly resolved itself. Just thought I would mention it if you haven't heard about it.

@keepcalmcarrie: @SleepyMonkey: Thanks for sharing your going back to work feelings. I don't have to go back to work for another month... but I also feel really different about this kid... and I always thought I was never meant to stay at home but now I'm not sure. At the very least I might consider a serious career change.

32. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@mfa_lady: We moved to size 2 for the same reason. So much easier!

A is going through a growth spurt so eating all of the time but it's not awful because she's sleeping all of the time too lol

Happy Mother's Day ladies!

33. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@namaste: Happy Mother's Day to you, too! Hope everyone had an awesome day.

34. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

We had our four-month checkup last week, and it went well! E's on the same curve she's been on thus far--50th percentile for weight, 75th for height. She's a long, skinny thing! She's 13lbs 6oz.

She's back to almost never sleeping through the night, which is a bummer, but we can manage. Our ped said she doesn't NEED to eat at night anymore, but I'm not sure I'm willing to do the wakeful nights it'll take to break her of it. I definitely can't do it until a couple of big projects at work are done--she is going to be PISSED if I don't feed her overnight. Ha!

We've still not been great about letting her cry too much at bedtime, mostly because we tend to put her down asleep. (I know, I know, the worst.) So, we're going to get serious soon about timed checks and CIO because she's definitely able to self-soothe now by sucking on her hands. She did it last Thursday night, and then fell asleep nursing the other nights this weekend so we didn't get much more practice.

She seems to also have bad seasonal allergies, as she's been snotty and had a cough the last couple of weeks. The cough comes and goes and doesn't seem to bother her, and the ped just checked her out last week and didn't seem concerned, so I'm trying not to be.

How are all the other January babies?

35. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@mfa_lady: hope her sleep improves on it's own. I could never do CIO in the middle of the night - which is probably why my 2 year old has ended up in my bed in the middle of the night for half of the past week. I also hope her allergies clear up quickly.

We have had our ups and downs lately. B has been fussier/clingy these past few days - she wouldn't even let DH hold her for 3 days last week. She is also showing new skills, so I think that is part of the fussiness. She is taking most naps in her crib and she gave me a 4 hour nap two Fridays ago and a 6 hour nap this past Friday. The rest of the time they are anywhere between 45 min (more common) and 2 hours. Consistently sleeps 11 + hours a night. She doesn't escalate quickly like DD1, so CIO is more like fuss it out which is totally easy and effective. If she really cries, I pull her out of her crib and problem solve what she needs.

36. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@mfa_lady: same. J is never going to sttn on her own but i don't have it in me to CIO just yet. We kind of did it for falling asleep at night a couple months ago but that only took 10 mins and a few days. ( So maybe E will surprise you if you try it). But for motn feeds...i don't know. She is an easy and happy baby but when she gets mad, she is REALLY PISSED. Im scared!

@Radish: j went thru something last week too. Her sleep was all funny. But its back to normal now. I swear she is more alert and reactive and different now! Maybe wonder week? So B will probably be back to normal soon!

Today was my first day back at work! It went well. I enjoyed being back even tho i missed J terribly. She isn't great with the bottle just yet. I think its more the unfamiliarity with our nanny than anything. She will get used to it. Her napping isn't great either because she is beholden to dd1s schedule. Ah well. She will just have to adjust. I still feel a little bad about it, but what can i do? Not much!

37. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@mfa_lady: Sorry E has seasonal allergies Ugh that's the worst. All four of my cousin's children have really bad allergies and it's not fun.

@Radish: A napped for four hours yesterday lol it was so strange! Her sleep schedule is the same as B. 11+ hours, fuss it out.

There's nothing new with A. She's just getting taller but still is skinny as can be. Her hair is outrageous. lol she can't even use a baby comb anymore.

38. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@Radish: I definitely can't do CIO in the MOTN either--we're starting with falling asleep, and she did pretty well last night. She fussed/cried/soothed on and off for ten minutes before zonking out. Let's hope she can keep it up!

@SleepyMonkey: I had to wait until I was 100% certain she could soothe herself. She's been doing it like a champ (always picking two fingers to suck on, never her thumb) and so once I knew she had it in her, I felt more comfortable lessing her fuss/cry a tad. Good luck! And glad your first day went well!

@namaste: I AM OBSESSED WITH A'S HAIR. It's the cutest ever!

39. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

@Radish: Yes! That's what I realized we can do now--fuss it out. I realized this in the car when I had no choice but to ignore her and she then fell asleep. I'm not up for CIO yet. I did feel horrible though when she fussed it out for awhile the other night and then started to cry. I went in when it turned to crying, stuck a paci in her mouth, and she went to sleep right away.

@mfa_lady: how are her teeth? All the way through?! Our girls are the reverse order--J is 50th for height, 75th for weight!

We have hit a rough patch with sleep (not that it was awesome to start with), although it's starting to smooth out. Her discoveries are keeping her wired and she's waking up. She is rolling to her side, grabbing her toes, scooting around by arching her back and throwing her legs in the air. I listened to her one night make different noises for at least 30 minutes. It's like, "Wow, listen to this! I can make this noise!" I still feed her at least every 3 hours--last night it was more. I try not to obsess over the clock.

She's such a happy girl and I think all these new discoveries are fun. It's rewarding to see her clearly looking to me for comfort. The other day we were playing with a pop-up toy where Elmo came up singing a song. She startled and cried, but when I took her in my lap and did it again, she was ok.

Being back at work is nice. Gathering up all her stuff to take to the sitter's is a pain, but we have a good one. I hate waking her from naps to take her to and from the sitter's, and she isn't sleeping much there at all. That is NOT fun.

40. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

Also--anyone else dealing with a distracted nurser? She's constantly popping off to crane her neck and check out what is going on. FOMO baby!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee