Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

New Year, New Babes - January 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@Happygal: Teeth are all the way through! Two little babies down on the bottom. My husband is always like "Whoa, these things are sharp!" when she chews on his finger, and I just give him the side eye. You want to talk to ME about those little things?! Ha.

So glad being back at work is going well. It's a crazy transition, isn't it? I'm sure she'll start napping better there soon.

And yes to the distracted nursing. E likes to pop off and grin at me. Haha! It's super cute and super frustrating. I'm trying to feed you here, kid!

2. charmed

persimmon / 1177 posts

@Mrs. Blue: I think we've moved past the nursing strike, now it's just distracted nursing like @Happygal: and @mfa_lady:
    lots of popping on and off and looking around. I can't watch TV while she's nursing or she just wants to look at it the whole time! So I end up giving her a bottle for most feedings during the day.

@Happygal: A was up for an hour the other night, just making noises to herself

She also started rolling front to back, so we switched from swaddling to the merlin sleep suit at night. It seems to be going well - keeps her from flailing around too much, and she doesn't try to wiggle out of it like she did the swaddle.

No visible teeth yet, but she is definitely teething. I can feel a little bump where one is trying to come through. And all she does is drool and chew on her fingers!

3. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

@charmed: it's so fun reading about babies going through the same things! I noticed my girl looking at my smartphone the other day while I was laying beside her. The noises are a bit annoying at 3 in the the morning, but also pretty entertaining. I should try to record some of it so I can remember it forever.

Talking about my baby during the day like this makes me so excited to go pick her up from the babysitter!

4. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@SleepyMonkey: I'm hoping she is over it ASAP since we leave later this week for our trip.

@namaste: Her hair is awesome!

All these teeth! B is showing no signs of teeth anytime soon. She also fails at tummy time and just lies there sucking her hands, so who knows when/if she will roll.

5. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

I just spent two hours getting a twenty minute crib nap. FML!

Naps are all over the place lately. She'll nap for three hours, then ten minutes, then be awake for five hours before bedtime. I'm going at nap training with guns blazing this week. I just cannot spend the entire afternoon getting her to barely nap.

We had her four month appointment last week. 99+% for height and only 65% for weight...skinny thing.

She's going absolutely bonkers for food now. I hate holding out on her for another two months. DH is ready to start feeding her but I'm just not there yet.

We have four tooth cuts on her gums but none are through very far yet.

Nighttime sleep is ok. She seems to have three good nights and then one bad night. I'd rather have straight ok nights instead of getting lulled into STTN bliss only to have to wake up three times the next night.

She's been working on sitting like its her job. She's only holding on with one arm now and experimenting with letting both go. She can hold it for a few seconds but then topples over. This is probably what's effing with her naps. The abcrunches over and over.

@Radish: six hour nap?! Amazing!

@SleepyMonkey: glad you're having a good transition back to work!

@Happygal: we have a distracted nurser too. She refuses to nurse the left side when we're out unless I do football hold and basically pretend it's the right side. Thankfully she'll nurse in the ergo so I usually just do that.

6. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@Radish: i can't remember, where are you headrd for your trip? I am sure B will be back to normal by then. It only lasted a few days with J. @oliviaoblivia: our naps are like that here too! Random and all over the place. Is she otherwise happy? @Happygal: tons of distracted nursing here too. Always looking to see what her sister is doing and any noise makes her pop off and look around.

Hmm. I am stilll trying to figure out my pumping schedule...i usually nurse one side only and so i was trying to pump just one side during the day but my left boob is not producing enough! I am starting to worry that i won't have enough milk for her. Maybe i should just pump both sides? Can others share their pumping schedule during the work day?

7. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@SleepyMonkey: you'd never know she hasn't nappednapped. Happiest baby. Don't know anything about pumping.

8. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

@SleepyMonkey: I'm glad work is going well! I don't think I can be much help with the pumping schedule b/c my hours only really require me to pump once (both sides). I watched a few youtube videos about how to get a good supply and set up a schedule--maybe that could help you out?

@oliviaoblivia: I felt that way about the newborn phase. A horrible few nights and just when I thought I couldn't take it anymore, we'd have a good night. Your girl seems to be in the fast track growing up lane! Teeth! Eating! Rolling around!

9. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@Happygal: she is and it's just not cool!

10. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@SleepyMonkey: I usually only nursed one side at a time, too. I don't get much of anything if I only pump one side at a time, so I'm pumping 2x during my 9 - 5 work day. I pump for about a half hour at a time, so setting up and breaking down from that would be too much more than twice. Not sure if that helps. Also, at the beginning, I was certain I wouldn't make enough, but it leveled out and now we're doing fine!

11. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

Wow so many people are dealing with teeth! We think our first two are coming up any day now. I went to the store this weekend to get hyland teething tablets ... it worked with our first kid... we will see about this one.

12. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

I'm freaking out today, because for the past couple of days I haven't been pumping as much. Granted, it seems like little lady is nursing a lot longer than usual (growth spurt, I think, because she's crushing bottles at the sitter's, too), but I'm scared to death that I won't be able to keep up with her.

Somebody talk me off my ledge, or tell me your happy-ending stories!

Also started taking Fenugreek today, just in case. Blah!

13. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@mfa_lady: i pumped both sides this morning and got way more! Guess i will have to do that now instead of just one side, even though it is more work. Maybe E is really drinking all the milk you have so there isn't as much left? All i know is that when i went back to work at 4 months with dd1, we never had issues with too little milk even when she went thru a growth spurt. We made it to 14 months when i decided to wean. So don't worry too much!

14. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@SleepyMonkey: When I was writing my first comment, I was thinking "I JUST said yesterday that everything had evened out! That's what I get!" Haha. I think you could be right about the eating more. What worries me more than anything is that I haven't felt as full as usual when I wake up in the morning, either. But I know freaking out is making it worse, so...ALL THE DEEP BREATHS.

15. charmed

persimmon / 1177 posts

@Happygal: Now I have to hide my phone from A while she's nursing She's also been pretty distracted when taking a bottle too, so I'm hoping it's a phase she gets over soon!

@oliviaoblivia: ugh, hope naps were better the rest of the week!

@Raindrop: I just ordered those teething tablets from Amazon last night! Hope they work for us, because she was a mess yesterday - and teethers don't interest her, she just wants to chew on fingers.

@mfa_lady: hope your supply came back up! I've noticed when I'm pumping that my supply varies a lot day to day. Even if I pump at the same time for the same length, I could get 4 oz one day and 2 oz the next.

16. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@charmed: better, but not great. She hates her crib.

17. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

We only lasted 6 days on the soy formula trial before bailing, it was awful! By the 5th day he was just projectile vomiting everywhere all day long, and was still super constipated.

So now we are doing a trial of Nutramigen. It's only been two days but his poop is FINALLY not solid as a rock and I think he's spitting up a tiny bit less...but we'll see how the rest of the week goes. It's $30 for a 2-3 day supply so I'm hoping if this is what works we can get insurance to cover some of it because that is ridiculous! I just want him to grow!

18. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@Raindrop: This is a stupid question but what do you do with the tablets? Do they just dissolve in their mouth or something? I've heard lots of people say they are great but I don't understand how it works!

19. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@charmed: Thank you! It did--I think, like you, I just have a lot of variation throughout the week. It's so hard not to get freaked out--but I think I just need to let it go!

@HappyBaker: Hope the Nutramigen is still working well for you guys. I'm so sorry it's been such a tough journey.

20. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

@mfa_lady: *big hugs* It will even out!

@HappyBaker: For me - I take the tablets and put one at the end of my finger and then put it under his tongue till it dissolves, it's an interesting feeling... it is a small hard tablet and then it kind of "bursts" when it dissolves and I have LO suck the rest off my finger. When our last son went through this it was funny because he would be crying crying crying and when we busted out the tablets and I did this, he would be so happy when he sucked my finger. I usually use two tablets at a time (one tablet at a time in a roll - sometimes 3 tablets at night). After a while he would just be happy seeing the bottle. Kids are so smart.

21. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@Raindrop: How neat!

A is doing a whole lot of scooting around on her back lately , much like this:

I'm doomed lol she can get from one end of her crib to the other in less than a minute

22. charmed

persimmon / 1177 posts

@namaste: that is too cute! And look at all that hair!

23. keepcalmcarrie

persimmon / 1096 posts

Mamas! We sleep trained, and it didn't take very long to get amazing results. A few days of timed checks, then a few days of CIO, and he is going down every time now with no crying, getting a full night of sleep, and is so much happier during the day. I wouldn't have tried this any earlier, but my pedi recommended it and I wish I could send a message to my last week self that life would look completely different in a few days. Has anyone else sleep-trained yet?

Hope everyone is well - happy Friday!! Any fun weekend plans?

24. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: so happy that it worked for you! I was thinking about doing it for motn feeds but i am scared! She sttn 4 times last week so i know she doesn't need to eat but then started waking up 1x again this week. I don't know if i am ready to do cio yet though....

25. keepcalmcarrie

persimmon / 1096 posts

@SleepyMonkey: I decided I would let him CIO at bedtime, but for overnight wake ups I do still go and pop the binkie in. He STTN last night so I didn't need to, but the 2 nights before that I did. If he really screamed I would probably cave and do a bottle... my main problem was laying him down to fall asleep. I'm hoping to totally eliminate the MOTN wake ups for good, so I might resort to CIO there too if he doesn't drop them on his own, but FX that just follows easily...

26. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

Have any of you heard of green onions as a teething reliever? My husband's cousin swears by it and a quick Google search reveled it is a thing. B isn't teething yet, but I thought it was interesting.

27. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@Radish: ooh no but i hate green onions! They make me gag! Is the baby supposed to chew directly on it?

@keepcalmcarrie: the ability to put the baby down awake and walk away is so wonderful! Huge achievement. I wish my baby had started sttn when we got that down. She seems so darn hungry when she wakes up in the motn though. But she wakes up around 4:30 or 5, and then she isn't hungry when i have to nurse at 7 on workdays. So...i feel like she doesn't need to nurse in the motn. We did cio for dd1 for motn wakeups and it worked in one night. But that was at 6.5 months.

28. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@SleepyMonkey: yes, apparently something in the green end numbs the gums. They have just handed the baby the whole thing and let them chew on the green part.

29. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

We just got back from our trip and B did awesome! She was flexible and slept well the whole time. She also let other people hold her after a little resistance the first few times, which was my biggest worry since we were going home to see family primarily. Anyways, I think it is time to see how our babies are doing. I can't believe some of them are about to start their 6th month.

Recent Milestones:
    Favorite Toy and/or Activity:
    Personality Traits Emerging:

30. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

Weight: I need to weigh her when she wakes up - I'll edit it back in once I do that. Her dr appt is tomorrow so I should get an official weight on her then.

Recent Milestones: Rolling over back to front and I think she may have rolled back over today, but I wasn't watching her at the time. I am loving that I can lay her down with some toys and she is content for a good while.

Favorite Toy and/or Activity: She loves the piano kicking gym and particularly the crab? looking toy with the rattle on it. She is also a fan of the jumperoo, but doesn't last long since its a lot of work.

Personality Traits Emerging: She is very easy-going. I have a feeling she is going to be on the reserved side like her big sister - they both seem to be big observers before they start interacting. She can be quite determined, but she doesn't get super upset if she can't do something yet. It takes a long time for her to get really worked up and mad about most things.

31. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

*crickets* Now I just feel like I'm taking to myself or too much about my own kid.

32. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

@Radish: We're here, I promise! DH and I have both been working a bunch so we have just been so busy! I changed my user name, btw.

Weight: 16 lbs 6 oz!

Recent Milestones: She's learning how to grab toys and is starting to figure out how to make the lights and music go off in the rainforest jumperoo. She also started trying to grab her bath toys in the water the other day. She is still perfecting her hand eye coordination though. She also loves the faucet during bath time. She's constantly trying to drink the water coming out; it's so funny! She can also roll from belly to back with a lot of effort.

Favorite Toy and/or Activity: The thing that keeps her most entertained is probsbly bath toys/faucet or her play mat. She likes the jumperoo but gets tired fast. She also has some stuffes toys she likes to hug and lick haha!

Personality Traits Emerging: So far she's been slow to warm up and timid in new situations. She cries in situations with loud noise like restaurants or the subway. I'm trying to expose her more to get her used to it though. We're considering getting some baby earmuffs. Other than that, she's goofy and loves to talk and smile at DH and I(and her reflection).

33. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Radish: Promise we're here! There is just so much going on currently that I always fall of the bandwagon with replies. I do try to read along though!

Here's our update:

Weight: no idea, if I had to guess we're going on 15/15.5 lbs. She has a whole lot of chub on her now. Those additional feeds she's requesting are helping with that.

Recent Milestones: Does teething, being sick with a viral cold (incl. a rash) and the 4 month regression count as milestones? Kidding aside she's usually able to roll belly to back and is working hard at rolling back to belly. Also she's starting to practice her crawling movements in her legs. Her arms are still too weak to support her though - she'd be off otherwise. She's also slowly able to grab at things but I think she's more of a gross motor person than fine motor person.

Favorite Toy and/or Activity: She loves staring at Jaques the Peacock. Also her favorite thing is probably bearing weight on her legs. She loves when we stand her up on our legs. Oh and he babbles and blows raspberries nonstop.

Personality Traits Emerging: She is one curious and determined little bugger. Whenever there is something going on that kid won't sleep, so we have to be really careful to not let her get too (over)stimulated. She's also really easy going and just such a happy clam - she smiles at everyone like it's her business.

Oh and can I just complain about how mean it is to have a a baby that slept through the night until 2 weeks ago and now wakes twice at night? Tired doesn't even describe our state since our toddler is also not sleeping well since starting at the new daycare. Booo!!!

34. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@Pumuckl: I hope you can get some sleep!

Weight: A is still a tiny person weighing in around 11 lbs. lol

Recent Milestones: Her milestones are all over the place lol. Lots of scooting while lying down. She bears weight on her legs pretty well and is trying to pull up to stand. However, she has very little interest in using her arms to crawl and can sit up for a few seconds on her own. Too much is happening in this house!

Favorite Toy and/or Activity: Sophie the Giraffe is a hit. She loves babbling at ceiling fans, going outside for a walk, and seeing familiar faces at church.

Personality Traits Emerging: Her squeal is as about as loud and high pitched as anyone's squeal should be. She's very aware of her surroundings and knowing where things are. It's interesting to watch her observe new places. She's generally happy all of the time.

35. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@turquoisemama: thanks lady, i figured most people were busy. That's awesome that bath time is so fun, I feel like I rush B's and she would enjoy it longer. I hope she gets better about loud places quickly!

@Pumuckl: ew, sounds like a rough time! Hope it's all behind you and you can establish a routine again. Complain away about sleep! It totally is a game changer.

B weighed in at 14 lbs and 25" today! I think she's finally starting to level out so maybe she will stop blowing through clothes sizes.

36. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

@namaste: That's so funny, LO has a fan above her bed and can talk to it nonstop! She's been fascinated with fans since birth.

37. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@namaste: B is liking Sophie as well! It's funny how different kids focus on different skills. It's neat that she's so aware.

38. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@turquoisemama: I'm glad someone can relate. She LOVES her Godmother's fans lol which is so weird but she gets so excited to see her fans.

@Radish: I didn't know Sophie was such a big deal but I'm glad someone got it for her. A is 24" but still so small so she's too long for certain sizes but a size up looks so ridiculous lol glad you're starting to see some consistency!

39. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@Radish: Yes definitely here just traveling for the long weekend so now catching up, good idea for a check in!

Weight: 12.5 lbs, trying so hard to gain!

Recent Milestones: He is SO close to rolling but not quite there yet, I think once he figures it out once he'll just do it from then on. We are on our third formula trial trying to figure out how to make him stop projectile vomiting / being constipated and gain some weight, so far it's only helping with the poop.

Favorite Toy and/or Activity: He really loves watching his big sister. He likes the exersaucer for like 5 minutes at a time but since he's little he sort of falls around in it still.

Personality Traits Emerging: Super smiley, you really just have to look at him and he'll give you the biggest grin. He's really easy going too!

40. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@HappyBaker: I'm sorry you are still dealing with tummy issues. That is so stressful. BTW, DD1 just "found Daniel Tigers mommy!" and I had to play peek-a-boo to get her to stop complaining about your avatar going off screen.

B finally got on a roll rolling both ways today then the dresser stopped her. Once I reset her on her blanket she couldn't get the hang of front to back again and was so frustrated.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee