Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

November 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. FannyMae

persimmon / 1461 posts

They are definitely worse each time you have a baby, mine have just started to ease off. We are spending one more night in hospital, her bili levels dropped from 315 to 270 today and she has been discharged from special care nursery. She started to feed much better on the breast, followed by EBM and then a formula top up, but this last feed has been sleepy and didn't feed from breast at all repeat blood test in the morning, hoping the levels keep going down so we can go home

2. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@AggieDaze: Adorable! Mine felt otherwise.

3. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@FannyMae: Good luck! I hope you can go home tomorrow!!

4. Finfan

persimmon / 1436 posts

@AggieDaze: cute outfit! We just did a hand me down "first thanksgiving bib" from DD1. She was almost 6 months for her first Thanksgiving so it is HUGE on a 3-week old!

5. Finfan

persimmon / 1436 posts

@wrkbrk: This picture is so cute though!

6. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@Finfan:

7. FannyMae

persimmon / 1461 posts

Waiting so impatiently for her blood test, last night was horrible she was really unsettled and my nipples are starting to get shredded. She looks like her jaundice has gone up just by colour, so there is a chance I'm going to be discharged this morning and she may need to stay in under the lights feeling heartachey at the thought of leaving her ughhh

8. FannyMae

persimmon / 1461 posts

Levels came back at 288 so we get to go home!! Massive sigh of relief, we come back on Monday for a weigh and check up and to repeat the blood test.

9. AggieDaze

apricot / 448 posts

@FannyMae: yay! So happy for y'all. Good luck with the first night at home!

10. AggieDaze

apricot / 448 posts

@wrkbrk: haha! Love that strong hatred for the bib already!

11. JennyG

clementine / 912 posts

@AggieDaze: Love the turkey butt!

@FannyMae: So glad you get to take her home. Just a little tip for blood test (we had to do many bill tests with both DS and DD). Put two pairs of socks on her for like an hour before you go. The warmer the foot, the easier it will be for them to get the blood they need.

12. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@FannyMae: Yay!!!

13. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@FannyMae: hope your first night home is going well!!

I haven't posted much, so here's what's going on with us. My LO will be 3 weeks on Sunday.
    Our little guy slept for four hours in a row last night for the first time and it was glorious! My ped said as long as he's surpassed his birth weight and is gaining steadily, I don't have to wake him to eat. Yay! I'm going to a breastfeeding group every Wednesday and they weigh the babies and he was already over 9 pounds, so he has gained 1 pound and 6 ounces in 2 1/2 weeks. I'm pretty proud of us!
    He's usually a pretty happy baby, but is fussy in the evenings and just wants to nurse all the time. Definitely not colic, but I'm really worried that it'll get worse. Anyone else dealing with this too?
    Generally I'm feeling pretty good. We try to go somewhere every day and getting out of the house really seems to make a big difference in my mental and emotional state. I was worried about PPD/PPA, but so far so good. I have my placenta encapsulated, so maybe that's helping.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this thread and love hearing how everyone else is doing

14. Miss Sarah

persimmon / 1259 posts

@peaches1038: Oh my goodness, the fussiness! I agree that, in general, DD is pretty chill, but when she is sad, she is SAD. Today was a rough day, and I got a little stressed out!

We just watched this DVD the hospital gave us about The Period of Purple Crying. So yes, on one hand, I need not feel guilty when I cannot calm my child, but on the other hand, we discovered it is expected to get worse and worse leading up to and through 2-3 months of age before it starts getting better. I cried watching the DVD because I'm not sure how I can emotionally handle it. Hoping for a better day tomorrow!

15. AggieDaze

apricot / 448 posts

@peaches1038: @Miss Sarah: we had a rough day yesterday too. I honestly wonder if something I ate on thanksgiving was hurting him. He just seemed uncomfortable all day unless he was feeding or sleeping on my chest. He also spit up more than normal. Today seems to be a tad better but I'm being super careful with my feeding position.

His nose also sounds congested... I hope he's not getting a cold. I've had a sinus headache for the past week, but I'd hoped it was weather/allergy related as Texas has been alternating between 45 and 75 all week.

I remember the 8-12 week period being really really difficult with our first. He stopped sleeping well and started acting like his tummy was constantly hurting. I did elimination diets etc and finally he just grew out of it. Hoping to avoid that phase this time!

16. JennyG

clementine / 912 posts

@peaches1038: Four hours!! How amazing! I wish there were weekly breastfeeding meetings here. And with weigh-ins, how reassuring. My DD will be 3 weeks on Sunday too. I didn't realize they shared a birthday.

@Miss Sarah: Hugs! Just take it one day (or night) at a time. I've never heard of that DVD. Was it worth watching?

@AggieDaze: So I was also totally freaking out about DD having the sniffles. I called my friend's mom who's a peds nurse and she said it's totally normal. She told me to keep an eye on her temperature, but that a stuffy nose alone is ok. She did recommend a humidifier in our room, where she's sleeping, to help her out and to elevate her head when sleeping.

DD just wants to eat ALL day today. Good thing I'm in the mood for some Hallmark Christmas movies.

17. Miss Sarah

persimmon / 1259 posts

@JennyG: @AggieDaze: Sniffles on our end too! She does sleep elevated in the rock n play, but we'll have to bust out the humidifier. I was watching her temp today. She got up to 99.6, but it has returned to normal this afternoon.

18. Miss Sarah

persimmon / 1259 posts

@JennyG: Well, I did like the videos on the DVD, it was reassuring to know that the inconsolable crying is nothing we are doing wrong as parents, it's something that is normal for infants. I just worry about the longevity of it... My baby blues are still in full force! There is good info on the website: http://www.purplecrying.info

19. FannyMae

persimmon / 1461 posts

Thanks for your well wishes ladies, mum was here for a few hours last night helping us settle in. It was a really rough night, she had a tummy ache and we couldnt get her to settle all night. by 3 am feed she did a massive poop and then seemed to calm down. She is currently having breast, then whatever EBM I managed to pump from the last session, then a top up with formula. She is still quite yellow looking, so hoping we can keep flushing her system.

My worry is that because she is has been so jaundice fatigued and not sucking efficiently enough, she is only getting foremilk and thus the sore tummy. or maybe just too much volume of milk in general My milk has come in more, and is at that dripping nipple all over clothes stage, I'm just wanting to put the pump down but scared if I do i'll wreck everything and milk will drop instead of increase.

20. AggieDaze

apricot / 448 posts

@FannyMae: we are having tummy trouble too... I've been trying different breastfeeding positions and trying to keep him upright for a long time after feeding. It's tough when you can tell they are so uncomfortable, but can't fix it. A lot of times he just has to get the burp or gas out himself, and then he seems so much happier! I think it takes them awhile to figure all that out though!

21. Miss Sarah

persimmon / 1259 posts

@FannyMae: I put my pump away after my milk was fully in and we haven't seemed to have any issues. I'll probably start using it again in about a week or so to start stocking up my supply for when I return to work in January.

Yesterday, since Claire was still fussy all morning, I caved and gave her Little Tommy's gas relief drops after each feeding as well as keep her upright for longer stretches after. I also tried to pay more attention to the angle I was BFing her. She was soooooo much better by yesterday afternoon and returned to my sweet little peanut who does not appear to be constantly in pain. Hoping to continue using our solutions for awhile to help her feel better!

22. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

Just checking in to see how all the other mamas are doing this last day in November!

We are doing well! Cooper is one week old today and is so.much.better nursing it is not even funny. We didn't realize how hungry he was/that nursing wasn't working so to speak until his first pediatrician's appointment when they told us how much weight he lost. I felt SO BAD. The lactation consultant suggested a nipple shield and supplemental pumping and between those two "fixes" he has gained back 9 ounces since Friday! YAY! It still hurts but I will focus on the positive changes we've made so far.

How is everyone else?

23. Finfan

persimmon / 1436 posts

@wrkbrk: we are doing really well. Our biggest issue has been working with LO1 on her transition to being a big sister. She is a bit too enthusiastic about the baby. Can't believe the baby will be 4 weeks old tomorrow! Eeeep!

24. FannyMae

persimmon / 1461 posts

@wrkbrk: my babe had lost about 9.8% of her body weight on day 3 in the hospital, and is slowly getting back to where she was at 3.5kg. Yesterday we went back to the hospital for her weigh in/jaundice check and blood test, and she had gained nearly 200 grams in 2 days. Obviously that was because of the pumped EBM and 40ml of extra formula per feed, so I have cut the formula down to only about 10-15ml, and I've put the pump away. She seems to be getting more milk from me now and its less painful on my left hand side (the right could do with a little work, its harder to latch on that side)

@Finfan: my 3.5 yr old is a bit "over it" - as in the baby cries and she is watching tv and she yells because it is interrupting her. we went to her kindergarten orientation yesterday and she didnt want baby to come acting up a little bit by the late afternoon due to tiredness/bored being at home/wanting attention.

25. sometimesshesings

apricot / 358 posts

Hi everyone! I've enjoyed reading your stories, even though I've been MIA. It sounds like most of us have had some bumps in the road with our new LOs.

Everything was going well for us postpartum. I only had two stitches and almost no pain (except for those second-time-mom postpartum contractions--ow!) LO was nursing every two hours like a champ, and the nipple pain period only lasted for about a week. But on Thanksgiving, when LO was 10 days old, he started seeming really lethargic and wasn't eating much. By Friday morning, we were pretty worried, so we called an advice nurse who sent us to the ER. We were there doing tests for almost 12 hours, then they finally admitted us to the NICU. LO was barely eating or waking up and it was super scary, but all his labs and vitals looked good. They gave him IV fluids and ended up tube feeding him. Yesterday, a test finally came back that suggested he's been fighting a virus (which is what we suspected because LO1 has been sick), even though he didn't have a runny nose or high fever. He also started nursing again yesterday, so after a few good feedings, they discharged us last night. He has a stuffy nose now, but he's back to acting like himself, thank goodness!

I hope eveyone had a nice Thanksgiving!

26. AggieDaze

apricot / 448 posts

@sometimesshesings: yikes! That is so scary. I'm glad the test finally found something and that it sounds like LO2 is on the upswing. I feel so terrible for our babies that deal with germs from their older sibling.

We've been fighting some congestion here. Last night LO2 was waking up every hour with what sounded like mucus or crud in his throat. Thus far, tonight has gone better - only one wake up since DH got him to sleep around 11:30. I'm hoping that congestion was the worst of it. luckily we have our 2 week check up today; I'm interested to hear what the doctor said and learn how much LO2 weighs!

27. JennyG

clementine / 912 posts

@sometimesshesings: Oh my, that must have been scary. I'm glad things are improving. I've been taking DD's temperature since Thanksgiving to make sure she didn't pick up any germs.

@Miss Sarah: I've also busted out some gas drops. I never needed them with DS, but DD seems in so much pain at night. So far, I'm not sure they are making a difference yet. I'm also writing down everything I eat to see if there is a connection.

I always knew DS was a dream baby. Slept amazing, ate like a champ, barely cried, was sooooo easy. DD is not at all a difficult baby, but definitely more the norm with gas pains, waking more often, needs help to latch correctly. I start to feel like to have this mom of two under control and then she throws me for another loop. Ahhh, every day is something new for sure.

28. Miss Sarah

persimmon / 1259 posts

So I do need to come back to do a postpartum update... But in the meantime, we took Christmas/birth announcement card pictures today and I just loved this cute photo!

29. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@sometimesshesings: oh my! That's so scary. How are you guys this week?

@wrkbrk: im glad nursing is going better for you! Are you still having pain?

@Miss Sarah: I have used gas drops once and gripe water several times. I notice onions and peppers really seem to affect him. I feel so helpless when he doesn't feel good. And that picture is ADORBS.

@JennyG: I don't want to jinx anything, but so far my DS has been much easier than expected. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Was there anything that was difficult for you? Is he a terrible toddler now?!

We are doing well over here. Hank will be a month old on Sunday (sob). He already weighs 10 pounds and is out of newborn clothes (double sob). I just can't believe how fast he is growing and how much he has already changed. It's crazy.

30. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@Miss Sarah: Dying! That is so precious!!!

31. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@peaches1038: Thanks! Yes, it still hurts every time. It's not unbearable but it's not right I don't think. I keep trying to fix his latch and he wiggles back to the way he wants to do it!! I have to do some research on latch issues ... I am calling the LC back today. Congrats on one successful month!!! If it makes you feel better, this one will be 9 pounds next week at two weeks. Most of my friends only got two weeks out of their newborn clothes! Picture please!

32. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@wrkbrk: ugh, bummer about the pain! I go to a breadtfeeding group every week and the lactation consultants are so helpful! I hope they can give you some tips and tricks. And it sounds like your little guy is gaining well even though you are having pain! That's awesome! Here's a pic from a couple days ago. Let's see your little man too!

33. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@peaches1038: Oh he is perfect!!! Yes I need help We are supplementing about 4 ounces a day with similac because he's so obviously still hungry after nursing. Here he is!

34. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@wrkbrk: he is so so sweet!! Love those cheeks! Is everything else going ok?

35. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@peaches1038: ty!! Everything else is great. DW works another week or so then has the spring semester off for leave! So we get to both be home til I go back to work in Feb. ps Hank is just about the cutest name I've ever heard!

36. Miss Sarah

persimmon / 1259 posts

@wrkbrk: @peaches1038: Both of your boys are stinking CUTE!!! Nice work ladies!

Everything is going well on our end! Still using the nipple shield to breast feed...I don't know how long I can keep doing it for, but she just can't figure out my flat nipples! Claire's two week appointment was Tuesday and she was only a half an ounce under birth weight. She's 88th percentile for height and 77th for weight..she's a healthy girl! As long as we can keep her healthy, she doesn't go back until her two month check-up/vaccines.

As for me, I feel pretty much back to normal, outside of still bleeding daily (very light at this point). Breastfeeding is going well. It really only hurts right when she latches on for a few seconds, but then it is all just fine! I'm adjusting to the lack of sleep and complete disturbance to my routine.

We just moved Claire out of the rock'n'play at night and into the pack and play last night. We swaddled her and she did a great job!! Hopefully that will make the transition to her crib after the holidays go well, too! I'm already sad about the fact that January 26th (the day I return to work) feels right around the corner.

37. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@Miss Sarah: thank you! We are using a nipple shield too. It's made such a positive difference I can't even think about getting rid of it yet!!

Anyone else getting headaches pp? Trying to decide if my mild daily headaches are just part of the deal or something that warrants a phone call ...

38. FannyMae

persimmon / 1461 posts

@Miss Sarah: frilly baby butt!! too cute! I'm still waiting on my first maternal health nurse home visit - it was SUPPOSED to be within a few days of coming home, but they are apparently "very overbooked" due to too many babies being born and now she is having her first appointment next friday - at nearly 3 weeks old. that means all her appointments will now be pushed back by a week grrrrr!!

I was wondering about the bleeding - mine went light very quickly (within 5 days) but lately I have been having moments where all of a sudden I get a *gush* and I'm bleeding again

@wrkbrk: yep, I had a nasty headache yesterday afternoon and night but thought it might be lack of sleep that caused it

39. Miss Sarah

persimmon / 1259 posts

@wrkbrk: I have a headache right now.

@FannyMae: My bleeding increases some days and then is really light again. Hmm.

40. AggieDaze

apricot / 448 posts

@wrkbrk: I've had headaches off and on for 2 weeks pp. I haven't called about them because the weather has been changing a lot here, and I just figured they were sinus headaches. I've also read that people who had headaches frequently pre pregnancy are more likely to have an influx pp (mine had disappeared during the pregnancy). Hope they get better! It doesn't hurt to call and ask!!

Re: bleeding, my doctor has said both times that you want to be bleeding less cumulatively on s weekly basis. So, you might bleed more on Tuesday or Thursday, but if you think about how much you bled all week it should still be less than how much you bled last week.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee