Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

November 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@AggieDaze: adorable feet!!

2. Finfan

persimmon / 1436 posts

@Miss Sarah: it's totally ok not to put your baby on a schedule! It's pretty early for one IMO and you will probably have a pattern emerge naturally anyway. And if you put her in daycare, I imagine they will get her on a schedule (no experience there).

3. Finfan

persimmon / 1436 posts

Loving everyone's photos!!

4. AggieDaze

apricot / 448 posts

@Miss Sarah: first off, oh my goodness her hair is amazing! Second - you are definitely not parenting failing. We aren't on a schedule at all, but I do remember there being a time with my first where he preferred to go down earlier and would take multiple long sleeps a night (vs now where I want to get in bed right after I feed and put Rhett into his RNP for the first time so I get at least a four stretch). We do similar to you... He falls asleep with us watching tv on the couch (typically it seems to be between 8:30 and 9:30); then I typically feed him once more between 9:30 and 10:30 and put him in the RNP and go to sleep myself.

5. Miss Sarah

persimmon / 1259 posts

Woot! Claire just went 5 hours between overnight feedings! I love getting sleep! Haha. Also, while she was waking up ob the changing table, she gave me lots of smiles! Totally makes it all easier. Anyone else up nursing/feeding right now?

6. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@Miss Sarah: I am! So jealous of your five hours!!! He does 3-4 during the day and 2.5-3 overnight so not bad but not five!!!!! Think her weight helps? He's almost ten pounds and someone told me bigger babies sleep more?

7. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@AggieDaze: Same here! There's a pattern but definitely no schedule! We take him up around 930, do one more feeding, and put him to sleep in the bassinet by our bed and we also go to sleep! And DW wakes up at 6 everyday anyway (...) so she gets him up then and they go downstairs. That's the only "schedule" we have! Since I do all the overnight stuff (and typically can't get back to sleep inbetween :/), I sleep in the mornings til 9 or so. Don't know what I will do when I go back to work though!!!

8. Miss Sarah

persimmon / 1259 posts

@wrkbrk: She was 10lbs 4oz a week ago and gaining quickly, but she's been going about 4 hours overnight for a few weeks now. Usually one stretch is longer than the other ones. We're about to head back to bed. This feed started at 3:45, I'm betting we'll be up again around 7.

9. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@Miss Sarah: ok good luck!! Zzzzz

10. Miss Sarah

persimmon / 1259 posts

@Finfan: Thanks! I would say a rough pattern is definitely starting to emerge naturally!

@AggieDaze: Thanks for your timeline...ours seems very similar. And I'm sure with LO2, the "schedule" naturally emerges a little earlier on.

11. FannyMae

persimmon / 1461 posts

oh my gosh, cute cute CUTENESS!

@Miss Sarah: whoohooo 5 hours! thats awesome, I bet you felt like a new woman after that snooze

we are having trouble still with day time sleeps, she could go hours and hours with teeny little catnaps. today she was on the boob ALL DAY. only managed to get her to go to sleep at about 1pm (after being awake from 7am!) and she dozed for 2 hours, then up again til 7pm. sleeping now, fingers crossed she rests through the night, mama needs some beauty sleep.

12. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@AggieDaze: those feet!! So cute
    @Miss Sarah: love the card! And I agree, her hair is awesome!!

We have a rough routine emerging as well. He usually starts showing sleepy signs anywhere between 9 and 11. He still cluster feeds starting around 4 pm so I try to feed him one more time and then swaddle and bed. Tonight he slept from 10-4:30. Buuut, he was supppper cranky when we tried to get him down. Now he will probably get up every 2 hours until we get up for the day. And YES, so much grunting in the morning!! What's that about?! Is anyone finding themselves super engorged now that the littles are sleeping in longer stretches?

@wrkbrk: I definitely think the weight helps. Hank was 12 pounds last week and we are going to my breastfeeding group today, so we will see how much he gained. The ped told us he's in the 85th % for weight. He's a piglet!! 🐷🐷

13. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@peaches1038: Ha! He looks long and lean in that photo!! One month today and we are officially out of newborn clothes also!

14. Miss Sarah

persimmon / 1259 posts

Up feeding by the Christmas tree and wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas!

15. AggieDaze

apricot / 448 posts

@miss Sarah; We are up too! Merry Christmas!!

@peaches 1038: I've woken up pretty engorged cus LO has only been feeding on one side per session overnight for some reason. In fact, I've started feeding him from just one first thing in the morning and pumping the other. It seems to help some of the sputtering/pulling off for the rest of the day:.. Though not the gas or spit up

16. FannyMae

persimmon / 1461 posts

Merry Christmas to you all! Its night time here in Melbourne, we had a long lazy day at home. Immediate family came over for a late lunch, I made slow roasted leg of lamb and roast veggies and some salads. It was a stinking hot day too, so ready to have a snooze.

@AggieDaze: Ive been getting a bit engorged too, babe gets a bit tired at night time feeds and dozes off. I have to be vigilant to pump if that happens as I don't want to end up with mastitis again.

17. JennyG

clementine / 912 posts

Merry Christmas to you all! I haven't been around much, but hope all you ladies have fabulous day with your little ones. Here's a pic of ours last night before church

18. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

Merry merry Christmas! I can't believe I'm a mama this year. Hope you all have a lovely day!!

19. Miss Sarah

persimmon / 1259 posts

@peaches1038: I'm in disbelief too! It's been three Christmases since we had started trying for a baby. A true wish come true!

@FannyMae: I haven't been great about pumping overnight and she definitely only nurses from one side at night feedings... Falls asleep within a minute or two when I switch her. I keep choosing sleep over pumping...but it's worth the extra minutes to avoid mastitis!!

20. Miss Sarah

persimmon / 1259 posts

@JennyG: This is adorable!

21. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@JennyG: Adorable!

Merry Christmas to everyone! I have been so thankful to have this board the past 11 (!) months!

22. Finfan

persimmon / 1436 posts

Yes, Merry Christmas!! Hope the babies let all of us mamas sleep.

23. Miss Sarah

persimmon / 1259 posts

Ok mamas, how many of you have made it through the "6 week" growth spurt? I think my little 5 and a half week Claire has started hers. She can't sleep for more than an hour, is nursing every 1.5 to 2 hours, and is pretty much fussing if she is not eating or sleeping. Does this sound like a growth spurt? And how long did yours last?!

24. FannyMae

persimmon / 1461 posts

@Miss Sarah: sounds about right to me.... mine has had catnaps all day, feeding all day and sooky if she can't get to my boob. she has started to smile randomly while awake, and is making little coo noises so that has me thinking that maybe a growth spurt is happening.

even though its too early for routines, I'm starting to think I need to figure out when she *should* be awake/napping. she wakes up for the day at about 7.30 - 8.00 and from there its a struggle to get her settled into feed/play/sleep through the day.

25. AggieDaze

apricot / 448 posts

@Miss Sarah: I'm not sure we've had a period where I'm feeding more though to be honest if it hasn't been 2 hours since I fed (and I know he got a solid feed last), I typically assume that something else is wrong and/or that he wants to suck a little and give him a pacifier. That said, he eats very regularly every 2 hours during the day (start of feed to start of feed) though he'l stretch it to 3 hours right in the middle of the day. He has seemed a bit fussier lately which may be related to a growth spurt?!?

I weighed myself the other day and then weighed myself holding him and the scale had a 13 lb difference. Is it possible for my 8 lb 3 oz baby to by 13 lbs around 5-6 weeks after he was born?! My first gained weight quick but wow.

@fannymae: I've definitely noticed that mine already has ideal awake periods and if we miss them, it is much harder to get him to fall asleep. If we hit them right, he'll generally fall and stay asleep by himself maybe with a pacifier and a bit of shushing (in a bouncer or vibrating bassinet, his crib - though that takes a tad more work). If I miss them and he's too tired, he'll hold his eyes open without blinking and will really only fall and stay asleep in our arms (which of course i love, but is a tad more challenging with a toddler).

26. AggieDaze

apricot / 448 posts

@Miss Sarah: also, our pediatrician always says that 6 weeks is the height of the newborn fussy period (he draws it like a bell) and that it declines from there and evens out at 12 weeks. I keep trying to remind myself this time that everything is a phase!!

27. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@Miss Sarah: yep, definitely sounds like a growth spurt. Our little guy will be 7 weeks Sunday and has a growth spurt around the same time as Claire. For us it lasted maybe 3-4 days. It was tough!!
    @FannyMae: it's getting easier for me to tell what he *should* be doing as well, but actually getting him to do it is still a struggle!! And with my family here for the next couple of days, any semblance of a loose routine is pretty much out the window.

28. Miss Sarah

persimmon / 1259 posts

@FannyMae: We're struggling with routine, but at this point... I want to get through this growth spurt and we have one final Christmas celebration out of town on Sunday. I think this coming week, I'll try to start getting her out of bed and feeding her when I will have to when I go back to work, regardless of her overnight feeds. Maybe something will fall into place that way...

29. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@Miss Sarah: when do you have to go back to work? My return date is feb 1st, which will be 12 weeks. I'm dreading it already.

30. Miss Sarah

persimmon / 1259 posts

@peaches1038: Just over 9 weeks PP, January 21st... I'm totally dreading it as well!

31. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

This one just took 12 ounces in 4 hours .... he is 4.5 weeks old. I think he didn't get enough yesterday with everyone at our house! I swear he kept his eyes closed all day so everyone would think he was asleep and not pass him around.

32. FannyMae

persimmon / 1461 posts

We had a big day today - took baby to church for the first time, as I have finished my 40 days confinement and it was time for her to get her blessing and then go for our first visit to my mum's place. She did really well, slept in my arms while we were there, but was unsettled at mum's place. Having a long snooze now (hooray!!) giving me enough time to get some laundry done and have a rest

33. Miss Sarah

persimmon / 1259 posts

@FannyMae: Exciting day!

.@wrkbrk: Oh my... Growing boy!

I am just up feeding DD. It's been 5 hours since the last time she ate, which is sooo not typical during a growth spurt! But she did cut her evening feedings down to only 1-1.5 houra apart. All that cluster feeding must have helped!

34. Finfan

persimmon / 1436 posts

We are on our way home from baby's first road trip. She was able to meet my grandfather for the first time and some of my extended family as well on Christmas.

35. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@wrkbrk: oh my! That's a lot!!

@FannyMae: that sounds like a really nice day. Do you like staying in for 40 days?

@Miss Sarah: DS cluster feeds everyyyyyy night. I'll take it for those long stretches at night!!

@Finfan: that's so nice. I hope to visit our extended families this summer, but it's a 12 hour drive or a pretty expensive flight.

My parents and sister & BIL are in town visiting and we were able to go out with my sister and BIL while my parents babysat. It was the first time I've been away for more than 2 hours and I missed DS so much!! He was so good for them and took his bottles really well and went down for the night without too much fuss at nine. I pumped 10 oz when I got home after being gone about 4 hours!! It's so nice having them visit. It's hard being so far away from our families.

36. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@peaches1038: 10 ounces?!?!!! I have only ever gotten four at the most! Jealous!!!!

37. FannyMae

persimmon / 1461 posts

@peaches1038: It wasn't total confinement thankfully, just not visiting people's homes or being outside of home at night. I went grocery shopping/the mall for quick errands for an hour or so, then back home. traditionally the first place you visit afterwards is your mother, so that was nice and relaxing.

Its lovely that you had family babysit LO for a few hours, it really helps clear the baby brain fog when you can get out for a bit (even if you're constantly thinking about babe!)

38. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@wrkbrk: I have a bit of an oversupply, which presents its own problems. We can never win haha. I usually get the most in the morning when I pump after DS's first feed at 4:30am. It sucks to pump that early, but he usually only eats one side and the other is still super engorged. I get 6-10 oz pretty easily and reliably.

@FannyMae: that sounds nice! Relaxing but not isolating. My husband is a professor and is done with the semester and I have been saying that we've been in our own little cocoon and I imagine that's similar to how you feel

39. FannyMae

persimmon / 1461 posts

@peaches1038: 4.30 seems to be around my pumping time too - apparently early morning is the time that breasts are most productive. I've been pumping about 60ml (2oz) per breast after she has fed, and just froze my first little bag of milk.

Definitely in a baby cocoon here, even after my 40 days have passed I doubt I will be doing much visiting people til I get the hang of wrangling 2 kids.

40. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@FannyMae: when I'm ip that early, I like to think of all the other parents up feeding their little ones too. Solidarity!!

Would you say 0-1 or 1-2 was a harder transition?

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee