Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

November 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. FannyMae

persimmon / 1461 posts

@peaches1038: I think both had their difficulties to be honest...
    0-1 was more psychological - giving up your previous (FABULOUS!) life, you have a new little dependent creature, the havoc caused by hormones/baby blues. you're learning how to parent on the fly. but also everything is awe inspiring as this little person shows you what they're capable of.

1-2 - so far it feels easier in terms of mothercrafting, an awareness of how hormones are affecting you (and that you're not going crazy!), you have knowledge about the whole parenting gig. but it IS harder emotionally - does my older child feel abandoned or ignored? (I was crying on day 3/4 not because of baby but worry about my older LO!) my patience is very limited these days. I know once we are out of our baby bubble and back to daily routines (and kindergarten starting for LO) its going to be a whole new challenge.

2. AggieDaze

apricot / 448 posts

Ladies - wanted your opinions... how much have you all stayed in the house to minimize exposure to germs etc? I've been invited to a cousin's baby shower (around 4 hours drive away) when LO will be a little more than 7 weeks. He's scheduled for his vaccines a little more than a week later. My first gut reaction was to not go - just to minimize germs/chance for infection especially in the middle of flu season. But then I've been thinking and I take him to the grocery store, church, to pick up LO1 from daycare... Perhaps there isn't a difference (though he is generally under his car seat canopy or k'tan). Would you go?

If it matters, this would be the first chance for my grandma and several of my extended family members to see him.

3. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@FannyMae: I can definitely relate to your feelings on going from 0-1!! I'm constantly awestruck by this little creature we made, but at the same time knowing that our lives will never be just about us ever again.

@AggieDaze: I would go! I haven't been too worried about germs, but like you, I've usually been carrying him in my ring sling or keeping him in the car seat. Maybe bring your k'tan with you and scope out the situation? If you feel comfortable take him out and if not, keep him with you.

4. Finfan

persimmon / 1436 posts

@AggieDaze: I would probably go but people will understand if you don't want to travel with a baby.

5. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@AggieDaze: I wouldn't go but we are probably being overly cautious. DS has not been anywhere (not one place besides the pediatrician - not even my mom's!) because he hasn't had his shots yet. I guess it depends how many people will be at the shower? I know my friend's ped told her to skip the family Christmas celebration last year with her holiday baby ...

6. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@peaches1038: I forgot your DH is also a professor! Have I asked you if he gets any leave? DW gets the spring semester which is really lucky and nice.

7. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@wrkbrk: he just gets the winter break, so about 5 weeks. He only teaches 2 classes per semester, so he's been home a lot!! Usually the days he isn't teaching, he's in his studio, but he's been taking a break so he can be home more. He will have to get back in there though because he has two shows coming up! That's so nice your wife gets the spring off! Is it a paid leave?

8. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@peaches1038: oh wow is it art? She teaches philosophy at a private university and yes it's paid. They give every faculty member a semester of parental leave which is awesome - mom, dad, adoptive parent, everyone. But teaching two days a week is not bad! Glad you've had some time as a family of three

9. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@wrkbrk: yep, he's a painter/printmaker. They have reduced classes because they are expected to be in the studio and have exhibitions, which is great for us. He's going to stay home one day a week bc I have to work late one day every week and daycare closes at 6. It's nice to have some flexibility. Wow- we are both jealous of that leave policy! That's awesome!!

10. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@peaches1038: That is so cool!! And I'm jealous too haha. I go back to work in Feb ... :'(

11. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@wrkbrk: me too. Feb 1st. I know I wouldn't be happy being a sahm, but I wish I could work part time. It's just not in the cards right now. I know I'm not the first person to work full time with a kid, but it's still so hard. I'm dreading the transition.

12. AggieDaze

apricot / 448 posts

@peaches1038 @finfan @wrkbrk - thanks ladies! I'm still undecided, ha! I know everyone will understand so perhaps I should stick with my initial reaction and not go. I just started to question when my grandma is going to get to see him (maternity leave would be the easiest time to make that drive).

13. Miss Sarah

persimmon / 1259 posts

@AggieDaze: DD has already taken a couple little trips. At 7 days old, we drove 2 hours to my grandma's funeral. Then, this past Sunday, we drove 1.5 hours to two family Christmases on the same day in the same city. I've also brought her to the high school I teach at to visit my co-workers and she's come to church with me as well. Maybe I should be more cautious? She was 6 weeks old yesterday. I did pass on a baby shower a couple of weeks ago that was 2.5 hours away, but mostly because DH wouldn't be with me and I just wasn't ready to make the trip alone.

14. AggieDaze

apricot / 448 posts

@Miss Sarah: it's so tough to know!! I'm hoping our breastfeeding is giving them some immunity? And I got the flu and tdap shot while pregnant. Anything else he could catch from LO1 bringing it home from daycare, or DH bringing it home from work.

15. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@peaches1038: you'll do great but I understand exactly what you mean!!

16. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

Has anyone had vaccines yet? We get them next week and I am wondering what to expect for DS!

17. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@wrkbrk: not yet! ours are the 12th. Are you doing the normal schedule? Let me know how it goes for you guys!!

18. Finfan

persimmon / 1436 posts

@wrkbrk: Ours are the 6th. DD1 never did more than fuss when she got hers so I'm praying that DD2 takes after her in this area!

19. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@Finfan: good!!

20. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@peaches1038: huh! I thought so? The ped said between 6-8 weeks was ok so we picked 6 so he could start leaving the house!

21. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@wrkbrk: I was just wondering if you were delaying any. We were going to, but decided to just follow the normal schedule. My ped said that there are some that insurance won't pay for until he is 2 months old too. Not sure if that's just my insurance though

22. FannyMae

persimmon / 1461 posts

@wrkbrk: ours begin at 6 weeks, I'm taking LO on Jan 7th. The first round vaccines in our schedule are: diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, hepatitis B, poliomyelitis, haemophilus influenzae type b, pneumococcal and rotavirus. Its 2 injections and the oral medicine. our local council runs vaccination sessions through the maternal health centers, so they are for free.

23. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@peaches1038: good point - I didn't even check with insurance! Normal schedule though I think. Not delaying any!

24. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@FannyMae: thanks for the list! I'll compare with what's on our doctors website.

25. Miss Sarah

persimmon / 1259 posts

@FannyMae: Thanks for the info, had no idea what to expect! I'm so scared for them! Ours will be at 2 months for Claire. 2 days before I go back to work...

26. FannyMae

persimmon / 1461 posts

@wrkbrk: I'd be interested to see what the schedule is like over there in the US. I always see the online banter about vaccines and that the schedule over there has more vaccines (dunno if thats true?). The vaccines LO will be getting with this first 3 rounds are Infanrix hexa, Prevenar 13 and RotaTeq. The MMR vaccine is at 12 months and then again at 18 months (different vaccine though, its also for chickenpox).

I've always stuck to the schedule within a few days of DD1 turning the appropriate age. She got a bit grumpy/tired/sooky post immunisation, I gave her a dose of paracetamol and she was fine.

27. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@FannyMae: it's six vaccines at once I think standard over here

28. AggieDaze

apricot / 448 posts

@wrkbrk: we haven't had ours yet. With lo1, we didn't have any reactions though he was a bit more sleepy after them.

29. Finfan

persimmon / 1436 posts

@FannyMae: Here is the US schedule of vaccines from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC): http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/downloads/parent-ver-sch-0-6yrs.pdf

30. FannyMae

persimmon / 1461 posts

@Finfan: looks like its pretty much the same, except we have meningococcal C at 12 months, chickenpox is at 18 months, and flu vax is at parents discretion and not part of the schedule.

31. Finfan

persimmon / 1436 posts

@FannyMae: flu is at parents' discretion here too but is strongly encouraged and can't be given until at least 6 months. Vaccines are actually the one really good area of coverage on our insurance plan. Thanks, Obama!

32. Finfan

persimmon / 1436 posts

DD's 2-month well baby visit was today. It went really well even though DH and I are both sick (as was DD1, who recovered much faster than her parents).

DD2 is up 4 pounds from her birth weight and 2 inches from her birth length. She did really well with her vaccines as well so that was a relief. She's been dozing a little bit more than normal but so far that appears to be the only side effect.

Our big news is after a bout of day and night confusion, last night she sleep from 11:30pm to 8 am! If I had not been up all night coughing, I probably would have cried tears of joy! Hoping for a repeat the next few nights so DH and I can rest.

How are the rest of the November babies doing?

33. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@Finfan: I'm glad to hear the 2 month visit went well! Sounds like your LO is doing awesome! Sleeping that many hours is magical. We are still struggling with naps over here. I just bounced LO for about 45 minutes. He falls asleep and as soon as I lay him down, eyes pop open. 😳 I know he's tired but he just fights it SO HARD. Ugh. At least he is sleeping 9:30-6 pretty consistently. It's just hard bc I literally get nothing done during the day. We are also going to be attempting the RNP to crib transition soon and I'm dreading it bc I'm so afraid it'll mess with his nighttime sleep. Sounds like I'm complaining a lot, but really he's such an awesome guy and is super easy, except naps!

34. FannyMae

persimmon / 1461 posts

hey ladies we just had our first immunisation a few hours ago, she squealed and cried with the injections but was fine once she got a bit of boob. dosed her with a bit of paracetamol as soon as we got home and is asleep now. the real tears were from my older daughter who didn't want to leave (the sessions are held at our local library). we had our paediatrician 6 week check up yesterday, baby is weighing 5kg (11lb) and 60cm - she is in the 90th percentile for height and weight. all in all he was happy with her progress, so I wont need to see him again unless there is an issue in the future.

35. AggieDaze

apricot / 448 posts

@peaches1038: we are in the same nap boat over here! Some naps are easy to get him to fall asleep and some are hard hard hard. Either way, the naps don't last longer than 45 minutes unless he is sleeping on top of me. He's generally in a good mood during the day so it's not a huge deal, but lately the evenings are much worse when he hasn't napped well (take today for example, I had to walk around our house with him in the ktan for an hour haha).

The following article made a lot of sense to me: http://incredibleinfant.com/sleeping/baby-on-a-schedule/. especially the part about going from being able to sleep anywhere to suddenly being hyper aware of his surroundings and unable to soothe.

36. FannyMae

persimmon / 1461 posts

@AggieDaze: oh that article is just brilliant! thank you, i'm linking it to hubby so he can read it. I was looking for a written schedule like that, which is kind of the "routine" we are in at the moment.

we've had a bit of a scare post vaccines the last two days - she has had some runny poop with a bit of mucous, and then she had some very light blood streaks in it too. She didn't seem uncomfortable or in pain, and the streaks have gone now but her poop is still a bit mucousy. Its got me thinking if anything I ate affected her/worrying about a dairy intolerance

37. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@AggieDaze: great article, thank you!
    @Miss Sarah: how are you lady? You've returned to work, right?

38. Miss Sarah

persimmon / 1259 posts

@AggieDaze: Awesome article, thanks!

@FannyMae: Well, we haven't had our vaccines yet (1.5 weeks from now!), and Claire has had done mucus in her stool as well. And I know blood can also be a sign of a food intolerance. We've been trying to eliminate dairy on my end...but occasionally I slip up and that's when I notice the changes in her stool. Good luck figuring it out with your little one!

@wrkbrk: I'm good! Not back to work yet, the 21st is quickly approaching though! We're starting to see small improvements in Claire's reflux, but she's still dealing with some symptoms. It can be a lot to deal with... Keeping her upright after every meal, dealing with frequent painful hiccups, and having some choking scares. I hope she grows out of it soon! How are things in your end?!

39. Miss Sarah

persimmon / 1259 posts

@peaches1038: We have the same "eye popping" problem with some naps, too! Some naps are better than others... But she fights sleep so hard! We also want to make the RNP transition soon too, but with her reflux, I just keep putting it off...also, I like sleep!.

40. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@Miss Sarah: Oh, ok! I thought it was last week for some reason! Ugh - I feel like work is quickly approaching for all of us. How did this go so fast?!?! FWIW my friend who has the baby with reflux said she saw drastic improvements as he passed the 12 week stage!

Things are good here! Little man sleeps from about 10-6 with one wake up. We are doing 1/2 breastmilk, 1/2 formula still and it's working out well ... but my period already returned! Bleh! Otherwise he is just really fun right now! He sits in his swing for an hour at a time "talking" to the mobile. It's adorable! Except after reading that nap article I am wondering if we need some kind of schedule, haha! There is no day time consistency over here yet ...

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee