Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

November 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. clover

kiwi / 557 posts

Hello all. I haven't checked in lately but we're still hanging in there. Its so hard to believe my little lady is 8 weeks old now, time flies! We are all just getting over a nasty virus that DS caught on Christmas Eve from family and passed on to the rest of us. DD just ended up with some mild congestion and a cough, much better than the rest of us. Breastfeeding is going well, I finally feel like there are hours of the day she isn't attached which is nice. I'm jealous of the overnight sleep some of you have posted about, DD still wakes up every 3 hours to nurse. Our biggest struggle is definitely trying to get DS adjusted to our new life/schedule. He doesn't taken anything out on his little sister but he is giving us a run for our money.

2. clover

kiwi / 557 posts

@wrkbrk: I relate to the lack of schedule, we are absolutely all over the place everyday. DH says its all about survival but I feel like a slacker that I don't have more of a routine yet.

3. Finfan

persimmon / 1436 posts

@clover: yes, our biggest problem these days is helping the older sibling adjust. The baby will be 10 weeks old on Tuesday and we don't have a schedule yet. She seems to roll with whatever is going on really well though.

4. AggieDaze

apricot / 448 posts

@wrkbrk: we don't have a schedule yet either and honestly I'm not sure all kids need one. My first definitely did... I'm just waiting to see about this one. In an ideal world, he'd be flexible to fall asleep on the go but also nap in the crib when we are home.

@clover: @finfan: handling the toddlers adjustment is definitely the hardest part of LO2 for us thus far as well. He's super sweet to his brother, but is more likely to tantrum, do things he knows are against the rules for attention and fight daily tasks like diapers and tooth brushing. We also just lost our dog (ran away) so he's been super emotional.

5. FannyMae

persimmon / 1461 posts

@Miss Sarah: I think I'm going to have to cut out dairy to see if it helps too. She has hardly slept all day today and been fussing at the breast, her stools have been green and mucousy all day. The last one she did had blood in it again ughhhhh. I had salmon and cream cheese (stupidly) so I'm guessing that I'll be in for a doozy of night as a consequence. I just dont understand how its reared its head at 7 weeks and not earlier? maybe I wasnt paying attention? I hope its just from the rotavirus vaccine and it passes

6. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

Has anyone transitioned their LO out of their room yet? We are going to try it tonight and I'm nervous!!

7. Finfan

persimmon / 1436 posts

@peaches1038: We are planning on trying it tonight as well. Thought I would be less nervous than I was with our first but her room was right next door. We've moved and this house has the kids' rooms on the opposite end.

8. AggieDaze

apricot / 448 posts

@peaches1038: are you transitioning out of rnp too? Or moving rnp to LO's room first?

Good luck!!

9. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@peaches1038:

@Finfan:

Ahhhh good luck!

10. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@Finfan: his room is right next door, so I'm happy about that. I hope it goes well for you!! Good luck!

@AggieDaze: I think we are going cold turkey right to the crib. We will see if I chicken out!!

@wrkbrk: thanks!!

11. Finfan

persimmon / 1436 posts

@peaches1038: We think baby may be getting my cold so are keeping her in our room for at least one more night.

12. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@Finfan: we had planned to move him on Thursday and found reasons to put it off until tonight, so I totally understand! Hope your LO feels better soon!!

13. Finfan

persimmon / 1436 posts

@peaches1038: How did it go? Baby coughed a couple times last night but not too bad.

DD1 has a snow day today. Her first ever.

14. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@Finfan: somebody slept in his crib last night!! Went down at 9, woke at 3, 640 and 8. Hopefully he will go back to 9-5 with no wake ups, but I'm proud of him for his first night!! Glad it went well for you! No extra wake ups? We were supposed to get 6 inches but it never came!

15. Finfan

persimmon / 1436 posts

@peaches1038: awesome news! DD2 was in the pack and play and slept through the night from 11:30-8. It was definitely harder to get her down last night. I gave up and had DH do it because I needed to go to sleep myself (have had an awful cold and needed the rest). I heard her stir a bit more than usual but no wake ups.

Fortunately the 3 year old STTN as well.

16. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@Finfan: @peaches1038: You guys are sleep champions!!!! I just read that after a baby reaches 12 pounds they don't really need to eat overnight anymore ... so now I am wondering if I start not feeding him when he wakes up sometime soon (he is 11 1/2 pounds at 7 weeks now - yikes!) ...

17. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@Finfan: wow! That's great I hope you feel better soon!
    @wrkbrk: I try to soothe him without feeding him in the MOTN but if he won't go down, I will nurse him.

18. Finfan

persimmon / 1436 posts

@peaches1038: @wrkbrk: DD2 is a really good sleeper, unlike her big sister. She is also exclusively formula fed and a big baby (over 13 pounds at her 2 month check up) so all that factors in. DD1 was probably 8-9 months before she stopped eating in the night and I had to consciously adjust the amount of formula and switch it to water overnight before she dropped her last night feeding. I think I just got lucky with this one so far.

19. clover

kiwi / 557 posts

@Finfan: @AggieDaze: Is there anything special you guys are doing to help LO1 adjust? I've been trying to give him extra attention when I can and take him with me when I run errands instead of going on his nap (I have been asking my mom to stop by and sit with the baby at home, with LO2's cold I haven't wanted to take her out much). When he gets the extra attention he acts like himself again but as soon as I have to give attention to the baby its all over, I miss my sweet boy!

20. AggieDaze

apricot / 448 posts

@clover: we've just been trying to let LO1 help as much as possible with the baby. We also have tried to keep his schedules and routines the same as much as possible. We kept him in daycare 3 days a week, and he is still going to Little Gym once a week. We also invite grandparents over to play frequently so he can get attention from them or so they can take the baby so we can focus on him.

Today for the first time I really focused on getting the baby down for naps in his own room. Being able to do that as huge because it meant I could focus just on LO1. I'm hoping the nursery nap time continues to be successful.

We have also had the baby "give" LO1 a couple of quiet gifts (books, puzzles, etc). Lo1 remembers exactly what his brother gave him and I think that fostered some extra love!

21. Finfan

persimmon / 1436 posts

@clover: Just trying to spend more time with her one on one. She does much better on days she gets a lot of active play and/or goes to preschool. It's been rough since we have all been sick and the weather here has finally decided to be wintery.

22. ZacharysMommy

pea / 13 posts

Hi everyone! I am new to this site and am looking to join this thread for support as a FTM. My son was born on 11/20 and is 7 weeks old. I am exclusively breastfeeding and like others have posted here, don't have a real routine yet. I am so jealous of those who have babies sleeping for long stretches! I get very little sleep and find myself spending a lot of time wondering when the constant nursing will slow down and when LO will sleep at night. Just to be clear I am not looking for him to STTN as I know I need to be realistic but just a few hours in a row on a consistent basis wohld be nice!

23. Finfan

persimmon / 1436 posts

@ZacharysMommy: congratulations on your son and welcome! I hope your little guy lets you get some sleep soon. Do you know how much he weighs? It seems like my girls have both started to sleep for 5-6 hours at a time around 12 pounds. Since they were both 9 pounds at birth, it didn't take too long to get there.

24. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@ZacharysMommy: hi there! Congrats on your LO I agree with finfan and found that the heavier my DS got, the better he slept.

25. FannyMae

persimmon / 1461 posts

@ZacharysMommy: Hi! Welcome to the November club My LO is also 7 weeks (Born on the 23rd), and she is just over 11 pounds at the moment - I too feel like she is nursing constantly during the day, hoping it slows down soon. I sometimes get 3 stretches at a time during the night, sometimes she does 5 (usually because she hasn't slept at all during the day). Its a tough one!

26. ZacharysMommy

pea / 13 posts

@Finfan: @peaches1038: well DS was actually born at 38 weeks after having to be induced. He was IUGR and was born at 5lbs 1oz. Left the hospital at 4 lbs 9. At his last check up 2 weeks ago he was 6 lbs 3 and he goes back Thursday to the dr. Just for fun I put him on our bathroom scale today and it said 7.1 lbs but who knows how close that is. He is gaining but still so small.

27. ZacharysMommy

pea / 13 posts

@FannyMae: where does your LO sleep at night? I can't get him to stay in the pack n play longer than 1.5 hours at any time. When he was younger he would only sleep on me or my DH at night but he would often sleep for 2-3 hours at a time that way and we had to stay awake. Now the best sleep we get is bedsharing but I keep trying to get him in the PnP. He will go down sometimes, it juat doesn't last very long. And daytime naps are a mess. A lot of times he will only sleep while comfort nursing and will wake up when I take him off or even if he comes off on his own. He refuses any pacifiers. I hope we can get it together when I go back to work next month.

28. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@ZacharysMommy: have you tried a rock and play? He slept so well in there with a tight swaddle. We had it next to our bed and it worked out well for us. We also did a bit of cosleepibg if I was desperate.

29. FannyMae

persimmon / 1461 posts

@ZacharysMommy: at night she sleeps in her bassi next to my bed, but during the day is a mix of sleeping on me (comfort nursing ugh), on her nuna leaf rocker, and if im really lucky then in her bassi. mine refuses the paci too, like its poison! at the moment i'm battling green mucous poop problems, we see the paediatrician on friday

30. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

Oh and his naps are the worst. I have no idea how to fix those. I've tried everything haha. I'm just going with it for now and hoping that his 5-30 min naps will lengthen on their own. We have been following a bed time routine and hopefully that's helping

31. ZacharysMommy

pea / 13 posts

@peaches1038: we do have one but we don't use it. When DS was smaller we put him in and felt he was way too small for it. He was sunken in and it looked really unsafe. I also have read some things about RnP causing problems with their head and neck with overnight sleep and have been afraid to try it again. But I know some people swear by it. Ae also have a swing but he will never close his eyes in it

32. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@ZacharysMommy: yeah I've heard about it too. I'm a physical therapist and I'm not too worried about it. I switched the direction it faced every night since babies tend to turn towards their mamas, so that way he was turning his head both directions. And we also do a lot of tummy time. You gotta do what makes you comfortable though!

33. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@peaches1038: I do the same thing in his bassinet - switch ends where his head is because he turns towards me in the bed.

@ZacharysMommy: Welcome! Happy to have you in our November group!

34. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@wrkbrk: perfect! No flat spots in this group

On another note, we had our 2 month shots today and LO is so so unhappy. We've been giving Tylenol per md recommendations and he doesn't have a fever. He has been inconsolable for over an hour. He's never like this. Anybody else go through this? Tell me it gets better quickly!

35. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@peaches1038: It does get better quickly! DS doesn't ever cry - EVER. And he waillllllled when we got home from his shots. His sleep was meh (definitely not a nightmare or anything) for that one night but in the morning it's like nothing ever happened!

36. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@wrkbrk: I hope it's the same for us! He finally passed out and I'm debating just putting him down for the night. I feel so bad for him! All my friends say that their LO just slept all day after their shots. No such luck over here!

37. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

@peaches1038: For sure - put him to bed rather than doing it all over again in an hour. I thought the same thing about my friends' stories but then I thought well ... I'll take him being a good sleeper normally over a good sleeper because of vaccines! Haha.

38. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@wrkbrk: yes, you're right about that!!!

39. wrkbrk

pomelo / 5084 posts

I thought it might be fun to update our thread with recent photos/ages!

Here is Cooper a few days ago. He is almost 8 weeks already. WHERE DID THE TIME GO?! Everything is great except all his pretty dark newborn hair fell out!

40. peaches1038

nectarine / 2047 posts

@wrkbrk: fun!! What a cutie!! So expressive!!

Here's Hank from yesterday at 9 weeks and 5 days. Rocking 6 month clothes 😭😭😭

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee