Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

November 2016 labor watch/delivery

1. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@Goldengirl: I only liked the hoppy for propping the baby up, hated it for breastfeeding

2. NorCalWayfarer

nectarine / 2134 posts

I'm also a little weird about bringing stuff into the hospital that I can't thoroughly wash or just throw out (icky hospital germs). I didn't bring my boppy last time because I knew I'd want to use it immediately when I get home, so I just used hospital pillows to prop him up for BF. They actually may have had a nursing pillow available, it was all a haze...

3. PinkElephant

grapefruit / 4584 posts

Am in the hospital with labor in full swing - hoping to have a baby by later this afternoon/evening!!

4. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@PinkElephant: yay! Good luck! Glad the induction is going well so far

5. dragonsword

cherry / 175 posts

@PinkElephant: good luck!!

6. caterw

persimmon / 1445 posts

@Goldengirl: I love the boppy but not for breastfeeding- I actually use it more for me and am using it for myself in the hospital. I sat on it right after I had DD1 since I had an episiotomy and it hurt to sit in a regular chair, I use it as back support when I'm on the couch, and I sleep with it between my legs. DD used it for propping up and tummy time when she was a baby. I preferred to breastfeed in positions that don't require a pillow they are only useful at home anyway.

7. caterw

persimmon / 1445 posts

@PinkElephant: so excited for you!!! Can't wait to see the first baby of the group!

8. PinkElephant

grapefruit / 4584 posts

She's here! Baby girl arrived at 7:01 pm - she's a petite 4 lbs 11 oz but came out crying and kicking! She's currently being monitored for low glucose, but is otherwise doing well, as am I!

Will share name and photos once we've reached all our family in real life.

9. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@PinkElephant: congratulations!

10. dragonsword

cherry / 175 posts

@PinkElephant: congratulations!!! Can't wait to hear more details! Hope for a speedy recovery for you too mama!

11. teacherbee

cherry / 106 posts

@PinkElephant: Congratulations! Can't wait to see pictures and hear any details!

12. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@PinkElephant: fantastic news! Glad she is doing great!!! Welcome to our first baby of the group!

13. Goldengirl

kiwi / 566 posts

@PinkElephant: congratulations!!

14. CedarMagnolia

grape / 78 posts

@PinkElephant: Congratulations and well done Welcome to the world little girl

15. Plainpistachio

cherry / 116 posts

@pinkelephant congrats! Can't wait too see and hear about it!

16. theknest

apricot / 453 posts

Congrats @PinkElephant!

17. PinkElephant

grapefruit / 4584 posts

As promised, here are the details on Baby S (I'll share her name and photos in my next post so that I can delete it later but leave this post up), who will be one week old in just over an hour!

I went into the hospital last Saturday morning for a planned induction due to IUGR.

(Background: At my anatomy scan, baby was measuring behind by at least 2 weeks, and the maternal and fetal medicine team decided it would be in our best interest to have an amnio done to see if there was any underlying cause. None was found, so I continued to be monitored monthly, then bi-weekly, for the remained of my pregnancy. At 35 weeks, growth had dropped off to a point that I started twice weekly monitoring until I could be induced without steroids at 37 weeks. Doctors suspected placental issues that might be limiting the oxygen and nutrients reaching the baby.)

I arrived at seven, but there wasn't an LDR room for me to be admitted to available until after 10 AM (thanks, full moon weekend!). Once admitted, they started me with a Foley balloon catheter (um, OUCH! I hadn't had one of those before !) to help me dilate, since I was only at 1 cm, and an epidural before beginning pitocin. Those first few hours were a breeze - my epidural was light, so I could feel my legs and contractions, but wasn't in pain. Things were progressing slowly but steadily....around 3 pm I was dilated enough to remove the Foley balloon, so they broke my water and cranked up the pitocin, expecting a baby before dinner time. This was the only really scary point of my labor - at some point, when baby tried to descend, she was squashed in such a way that her heart rate tanked, and a ton of people came running into the room to get me into a position that allowed her more space/oxygen, and to set up for a possible emergency c-section. They attached an electrode to her head to monitor heart rate, put me on oxygen, and took me off of pitocin for about an hour, saying they'd restart it again at the lowest level as long as her heart rate stayed up. Once they started the pitocin again, my contractions picked up quickly and I was feeling a lot of pressure.....I called in the physician's assistant to tell her I "thought" I might be feeling the pressure they said to let them know about and sure enough - we were ready to go! My OB came in and had me do one "practice push" but told me to stop because baby was right there and the pediatrician/neonatologist weren't in the room yet (they needed to be there because of Baby S's expected small size). Sure enough, in about 1.5 pushes, Baby S was born - 4 lbs 11 oz, 17.5 inches. She had to go straight to the pediatrician, and I needed to be worked on as well, so I didn't get to hold her right away. It turned out that her umbilical cord was very short, very thin, and inserted at an odd place on a small placenta. My doctor had to remove the placenta manually because pushing or pulling on the cord would have torn it. Knowing this makes me so thankful we opted for induction when we did, since the cord could have become detrimentally damaged, or baby could have crashed as she descended, if we left her in to bake longer. As it was, she was born crying (she sounded like a tiny kitty cat) and kicking. I got to hold her for a few minutes before she was taken to the nursery to start her glucose monitoring, since she was low.

After 24 hours of glucose tests and a "car seat challenge", we were permitted to take her home. She came home at 4 lbs 6 oz, and hasn't gained any back yet, but we're seeing her pediatrician a few times a week to work out a feeding plan that will get her gaining. She's tiny, but perfectly proportioned and healthy - pure perfection, in our opinion!

For now, she sleeps most of the time, but we're getting scattered moments of open eyes and awareness, and a teeny bit of vocalization here & there. I can't wait to get to know her has she gets closer to her due date and matures!

18. PinkElephant

grapefruit / 4584 posts

This comment has been deleted by the original poster.

19. katsupgirl

nectarine / 2280 posts

@PinkElephant: oh she's a cutie and feisty too! Congrats again and I hope she starts gaining soon.

20. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@PinkElephant: She's so beautiful and I love her name!

21. caterw

persimmon / 1445 posts

@PinkElephant: Congratulations on your sweet peanut! She is beautiful and I'm so glad she is doing well

22. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@PinkElephant: She is beautiful. Love her name. Congrats! Glad she's ok.

ETA: Just read her birth story. Sounds like it went great. Hopefully she'll start gaining soon.

23. littlebear16

cherry / 116 posts

@PinkElephant: Aw congratulations! She's beautiful! Great day to have a baby! My daughter's birthday is 10/15/14!

24. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@PinkElephant: she is just the sweetest!! So glad everything turned out great. Our first November babe!! Congrats mama.

25. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@PinkElephant: she is beautiful! Congratulations again!

26. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@LAZB: totally thought you were in labour or had your baby when I saw you were last to post..... Haha

27. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@delight: ha! I wish! 37 weeks today, I'm getting antsy! He's still moving, but not big movements so harder to feel, and it's making me nervous.

28. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@LAZB: awww don't be worried. Not much room to move around. I have periods during the day where I don't feel babe much. It's really just after I eat where I feel any big movements.

I bet we have some more babies coming this week!!

29. caterw

persimmon / 1445 posts

@LAZB: @delight: Baby is slowing down here too. I get worried and then my husband will shake my belly and get me a cup of tea- she wakes right up! They are just getting cramped in there (hint hint time to come out )

30. dragonsword

cherry / 175 posts

@PinkElephant: congrats again! She's beautiful and I love her name as well.

31. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

So nothing too exciting from me, but I had my doctors appointment today and I'm 1.5 cm and 70% effaced, so progress from last week! I've never been more than 1 cm when my water broke, so I was excited when she told me that.
    I'm also losing my mucus plug, which in the past has been less than a week before baby, do hoping that trend continues!

32. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@LAZB: sounds like you're coming along! I haven't lost any of my plug yet. Wop wop. I get checked again tomorrow and she'll do a sweep if I want. I haven't decided if I want one. I may wait until next week when I'll be 40+2.
    @caterw: my DD can usually wake baby up too by blowing raspberries on my tummy or poking it. Then she gets freaked out by the movement!

33. MrsRcCar

grapefruit / 4712 posts

Well I am back at the hospital for observation. Baby O has been misbehaving today/tonight. He looks great on the monitors. I am dilated to 4 and about 50% effaced. They are having me walk (as I type this) to see if we can make progress in this or if they will send me home. I am hoping for progress I have been miserable all weekend.

34. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@MrsRcCar: good luck mama. Hope I wake up tomorrow to some great baby news from you!

35. Mrs. Marshmallow

blogger / apricot / 389 posts

@PinkElephant: Congratulations!! I missed this thread! She's beautiful!!

@MrsRcCar: I hope things move along soon for you!!

I am slowly going crazy waiting for things to get going. Regular BHs, PMSish cramps in evening, had a bit of bloody show about 1.5 weeks ago, lots of pressure, but nothing labour like yet. I would love for this little one to arrive a little early (said every pregnant woman ever?). I'm definitely getting grumpy (which is a mood i'm not familiar with).

Hope you're all staying as comfortable as possible in your final weeks!!

36. caterw

persimmon / 1445 posts

@MrsRcCar: Come on baby O!!! Fingers crossed for you

37. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@MrsRcCar: any update?

38. dragonsword

cherry / 175 posts

@MrsRcCar: goooood luck, hope baby O cooperated for you! @LAZB: That seems like fast progress to me! Last time I lost my mucus plug, i went into labor the next day. How do you know when you're only losing pieces of it?
    @delight: Were you the one who wanted a Halloween baby? Maybe s/he wants to grant your wish

39. MrsRcCar

grapefruit / 4712 posts

@delight: @Mrs. Marshmallow: @caterw: @dragonsword: I was released from the hospital. 😭😭😭 I need to dilate one more centimeter before I am considered in active labor. (6cm). I opted to leave because I need to eat and my youngest has his last speech appointment. I am hanging out at 5cm and 75% thinned.

40. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@MrsRcCar: so close! I'm sure O will come today or tomorrow

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee