Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

October 2012 babies chat

1. Beehive

nectarine / 2054 posts

@mrsrccar: I'm so sorry about your grandfather, that is so sad.

@beebug: That sounds just awful, I hope you start feeling better very soon. I'm sure you will turn a corner and feel like yourself again.

@hilsy85: Happy belated birthday! I hope you had a fantastic day.

@joeysmama @kenna: Welcome!

Happy New Year everyone! Things have been going pretty well here - J has had some really good non-fussy days, intermixed with some fussy days where he is a hunger monster and tries to eat constantly. Slightly worryingly, last night he was being super fussy and my husband tried to give him a bottle of breastmilk, and he wanted nothing to do with it. He only would drink about an ounce, but when I gave up and put him on the breast, he had a full feeding. I hope he's not going to start rejecting bottles, that would be bad! He needs more practice I think, but I'm so lazy about pumping.

Tomorrow is his first flight! We're going to Chicago to visit my family (and his great-grandparents). Any advice from those of you who have attempted this already? We have gotten a seat for him so we can have him in his carseat on the plane.

2. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@Beehive: Have the boob ready would be my main advice.

We had bottle, paci, everything "set" and she got to a point where nothing would soothe her.

It was really nice having her in the carrier as we waited in the airport, nice to have our hands free, but if you're going to have her car seat anyways, might not be beneficial for you, but without car seat, carrier was our best gear to bring along!

3. Beehive

nectarine / 2054 posts

Thanks @beebug! I'll be sure to be ready to feed J at all times!

I meant to ask - how does airport security work? Do you just go through the metal detector holding the baby?

4. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@Beehive: I had her in the carrier both times thru (there and home!)

5. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@hellobeeboston: oh my goodness he is gorgeous! What's your username on IG? I'm hverbuch and always looking for more HBers to follow @Beebug: so sorry you're still feeling crappy! I hope things get better soon, hugs!@MrsRcCar: so sorry to hear about your grandfather

6. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@hilsy85: i just requested to follow you on IG - mine is private too, just click to follow me! I LOVE instagram, obsessed.

7. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@hellobeeboston: yay!

8. JoeysMama

cherry / 117 posts

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

@turtledoves: I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one! Now that he is feeling better, you are totally inspiring me to sleep train. I'm going to check out that book you recommended.

@beebug: Thanks! Hope you are feeling better! I would be ranting to if I was going through all that! I also struggle with whether or not there should in-crib entertainment. I think of myself and I hate tv or computers in the bedroom (even though my husband is obsessed with his i-pad!) I like to think of my bedtime as a calm time, but who knows what my baby wants, lol. They should come with a manual!

@hilsy85: Thanks! He sounds much better today!

@mrskc: Thanks so much!

@mrsrccar: I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

@hellobeeboston: Thanks! I finally put the exersaucer together because I realized it is right around the corner! James is adorable!!

@beehive: Thanks!

9. LemonLong

pear / 1698 posts

LO's name: Lydia
    Weight: 9 lbs 7.5 oz today. She's a peanut still!
    Key milestones: Making lots of "talking sounds", smiling, grabbing objects- yesterday she grabbed a toy on her activity gym and was able to manipulate it multiple times. It was the type that you pull on it and it vibrates, and she actually was able to pull on it to make it go!
    Milestone looking forward to most: Sitting up and laughing!
    How's feeding going: Great, she nurses every 3-3.5 hours during the day. She takes in over 4 oz every time we go to the hospital's breastfeeding support group. I also have 50 oz in my stash so far, which is pretty good for only pumping once a day after she nurses!
    How's sleep going: Pretty good. She sleeps 6-7 hours straight at night. Over Christmas we were traveling and she was doing over 8 hours a night in her rock n' play, but we haven't gotten that in her crib yet.
    Bedtime Routine: Bath or hair washing, then nurse, then diaper change and pajamas, bedtime story with Daddy, swaddle and in bed with the tranquil turtle and sleep sheep on.
    Where is baby sleeping/napping: She sleeps at night in her crib in the nursery. During the day she sleeps wherever we are either in her rock n' play or the swing. She can sleep through full daylight, dogs barking, the TV, the doorbell, etc. It's great!
    WOHM, WAHM, SAHM or on mat leave? WAHM; On mat leave until Jan 22, and then I'll be full time telecommuting. LO will be going to daycare full time also.

Here's a picture of her from a couple of days ago and one from Christmas:

10. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@hellobeeboston: oh my gosh! He is just adorable! I'm katiekc if you want to follow me on IG. I like to find new pp to follow too.

@mrsrcar: so sorry about your loss.

@LemonLong: aw she's cute. That's awesome your LO is grabbing objects. My LO has not figured out that his hands belong to him. Lol

11. LemonLong

pear / 1698 posts

@hellobeeboston: your son looks like a baby model! So adorable

12. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@mrskc: following! your son is such a cutie!!

@LemonLong: thanks! just read your post - first, love the name lydia! second - 50oz stored already?! Impressive! I need to get working, I think I've only got about 15oz frozen. Also - random, did Lydia ever sleep in the rock n play at night? how did you transition to the crib? We still have James in the rock n play to sleep in our room, but now that he's sleeping through, I'd like to put him in his crib, but whenever we try naps in there it doesn't last long....

13. LemonLong

pear / 1698 posts

@hellobeeboston: she hasnt had very many consecutive nights in the rock n' play, just when her reflux was bad and when we were traveling. We had her in her crib from day 1, and she seems to transition between the two pretty well. We do have the crib mattress elevated on one side so maybe it kind of feels a bit like the rock n'play to her since she isn't laying flat.

14. Kemma

grapefruit / 4291 posts

@hilsy85: LO's lip tie was just snipped with sterile scissors and it was done at the GP's rooms. No anaesthetic (sp) and no cauterizing, lots of blood but no lasting trauma As I understand the lip tie can effect suction although LO's still loses her latch while feeding.

My LC said that Gentian Violet can be quite hard to find in NZ but I'm seriously considering it if my GP can't prescribe LO anything more effective.

@MrsRcCar Sorry to hear about your Grandfather, hope you and your family are doing ok

@hellobeeboston Cute pics of your LO!

15. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@LemonLong: thanks for the info!

So James just had his 2 month check up. ... 13lbs, and 25.5 inches! Tall man! Shots went pretty well... He had the saddest longest cry ever, they did it super fast then I picked him up and put him on the boob and he was done crying.... So sad. He's sleeping now, I hope he does OK the rest of today/tomorrow....

16. MrsRcCar

grapefruit / 4712 posts

Thank you everyone for all the kind words. My Grandfather loved LO very much. The service is on Saturday afternoon. LO and I will be riding down with my mother to the service. I was hoping LO would meet our family this summer at the reunion and not at a funeral.

I am also pretty nervous about LO getting his lip clip done. He did well with getting his tongue clipped but then he developed thrush. I just hope that this is all worth it for him.

@hellobeeboston: I am glad that your LO did so well with shots!

@Lemonlong: your LO is just too adoreable!

Here is a newer picture of little Nolan. He was napping waiting for daddy to come home from work.

17. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@LemonLong: welcome! she's a cutie :)@Kemma: that's good to know...eek not looking forward to the blood if we get it done!@hellobeeboston: wow big boy!! Aw I hope he does ok today! Hopefully he won't get a fever, and he'll just sleep off any effects.
    @MrsRcCar: just curious, are you planning on trying nursing after Nolan gets his lip tie cut? Or are you doing it for another reason (eg tooth spacing in the future). He is so sweet in that picture

18. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

Finally feeling better (ie more human....) today.

DH, C and I went to Costco, and then I took the dog up to my favourite little town for a walk by the (frozen) lake in the snow.

Here's hoping things keep getting better (like AF going away, coldsore dying/healing......not too much to ask, right?) three more days with DH home for holidays, back to normal Monday.

19. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@hellobeeboston: I hope he's doing ok after his shots. DS took a 3 hour nap after we got home from his shots.

@Beebug: glad you're feeling better!

20. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

love all the pics of your LOs! so sweet. thought i would join in now that i have access to a computer and don't have to type on my phone. i've been stalking this thread for the last week and reading all your posts!

LO's name: Lilia

Weight: not sure. she was 11 lbs 5 oz at 7 weeks. i'm going to guess 12.5 lbs?

Key milestones: smiling and "talking" to us. so heart melting!

Milestone looking forward to most: laughing. can't wait to hear her giggle for the first time.

How's feeding going: pretty well. i EBF and i've been building up a small stash now that LO has started sleeping longer stretches at night. i think i have close to 90 oz stored up. i try to store one 4-5 oz bag a day. she has been a bit fussy in the last couple of days and crying when she is hungry and not being able to latch on because she is so frantic. tonight she cried for an hour after feeding, arching her back and squirming. i thought it was a burp, but i didn't get one and now i'm wondering if she has silent reflux. she doesn't usually spit up. anyone's LO have silent reflux?

How's sleep going: she slept two nights in a row for 10 hours. she has had a few nights of 8-9 hours recently too. i hope this trend continues!

Bedtime Routine: there isn't one really. we try the bath and nurse and swaddle with the lights dimmed, but she only goes down when she has eaten enough, and that is usually between 10-11pm.

Where is baby sleeping/napping: at night, she sleeps in the Uppababy bassinet outside of our bedroom door. hah. we are trying to move her farther away from our bedroom. we haven't made it to her room and the crib yet. naps - we aren't strict about her naps at all, she just snoozes wherever she is when she falls asleep. bouncer...our arms...the boppy...occasionally her play mat.

WOHM, WAHM, SAHM or on mat leave? On mat leave right now, but eventually will be a WOHM. i think i'll go back part time in feb, then full time in March. am sad that this mat leave has been going so quickly!

21. Mrs.B

clementine / 961 posts

@Beehive: I know this is late but I also had A in my Ergo threw security. It was nice to have my hands and not worry about bringing a stroller.

@LemonLong: She is a cutie. I can't wait for A to learn to play with toys

@MrsRcCar: Love his sleeping pic. So cute

@Beebug: Hope you start feeling better.

A is rolling over consistently now and laughs alot So fun watching her grow. Her sleep just plain stinks right now. Maybe it's the 3 month sleep regression? Anyone else going threw it? She wiggles and grunts all night and wants to stay attached to the breast. She refuses to use any paci and gags when we try. She also has full on bottle rejection at this point and also gags for that. I've given up on the bottle now.

22. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@JessLC: I have totally been stalking the Nov mamas thread as well, and I think you posted a pic of your LO there? She is ADORABLE!! And it sounds like her sleep is awesome!
    @Mrs.B: no sleep regression here, but I am super nervous about the one that supposedly happens at 4 months L also isn't great with a bottle, probably because he rarely gets one.

23. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

AJ just slept 12 hours straight. The night before he did 10 then went down for 2 more and last night was 12 straight! I hope this is a trend that continues. His sleep has been so great that DH and I get a few hours of alone time after he goes down. It's been great. I'm sure nervous about the 4 month sleep regression everyone talks about.

24. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@hilsy85: thank you! Her sleep has been pretty good, knock on wood. When she gets to 12 weeks I think we will try to move her bedtime up more. 11pm just isn't working for me! By the way, my LO hates the bottle too. She fights it a lot. We have had some success with the lansinoh momma bottle over others. But we try to give her an ounce or two every other day so she will get used to it. It used to take 2 hours for 2 oz. But now it is only 10 minutes of crying and then drinking it down.

@mrskc: wow, 12 hours! That is fantastic!!

25. Tidybee

nectarine / 2834 posts

Update time! C has been refusing to nap in her crib since returning from the holidays. I think she was spoiled from being with grandparents and aunts and uncles who cuddled her for a week straight despite my attempts to have them put her down. We finally are back on track today, and she has just gone down for her second nap without fussing!

LO's name: Claire

Weight: 11lbs, 12 oz. at 9 weeks. She's gained 5 pounds since birth! The girl loves her milk!

Key milestones: . I think she is starting to find her hands. She has bouts of time where she just stares at her fists. Of course, smiles and we have our "girl talk". She is trying to giggle, but hasn't been successful yet. She is holding her head up like a champ too.

How's feeding going: Okay. We've tried everything from tongue tie clipping, several LC consults, and finally OT for craniosacral therapy and suck training. The therapy helped because she had a ton of tension in her neck, jaw, and tongue and had a hypersensitive palate, so my nipple was basically gagging her so she would keep it from going where it needed to go resulting in a shallow latch. However, I have a lot of milk, and the OT and i realized that even when she has a good latch, she's clamping on the nipple first and then sucking the clamped nipple. I'm still coming out misshapen and some feeds are more uncomfortable than others, but overall, it doesn't hurt anymore. She's been EBF for 3 weeks now, and we are working in bottles just to get her used to them for when i return to work. I can definitely make it til then, and my nips will get a break!

How's sleep going: Inconsistent!! She was up to 8-9 hour stretches before the holidays and then had a few days of up every 3-4 hours. Last night was our first night back to "normal". She went 8:30-5 and then 6-8:30. Let's hope it continues! She also isn't fighting naps as much today.

WOHM, WAHM, SAHM or on mat leave? On mat leave til Jan 23rd...then going back part time til the end of Feb.

26. Tidybee

nectarine / 2834 posts

@JessLC: C is fighting the bottle too, but when I'm not in the room, she takes it no problem. I think when I'm around and talking to DH while he gives it, she just wants the real thing.
    @JoeysMama: welcome welcome!
    @hellobeeboston: that cry is so heartbreaking. Our doc was super quick, and I was able to pick C up in 2 seconds. @MrsRcCar: so sorry for your loss.
    @mrskc: I'm dreading the 4 month regression!! i feel like I had 3 days of it this week and I was barely functioning. I don't know how I will be able to work and deal with multiple wakeups.

27. MrsRcCar

grapefruit / 4712 posts

@Hilsy85: I am hoping that he will nurse better. I love nursing him but it is so painful because he can't get a good latch. I have been pumping since day one but it would be nice to just nurse him. I am also wondering if getting his lip clipped will help him hold his pacifier better. I am also wondering if getting it clipped will reduce the amount of air he takes in with each feeding. The poor kid gets so gassy and miserable.

Tomorrow is my Grandpa's funeral and I am not sure what to dress Nolan in. I know that it sounds weird but what do you put a baby in for a funeral?

Is anyone elses LO sleep schedule a little weird? DS used to go down around 10:30-11 and sleep until 5:30-6am. However lately he has been waking up around midnight and staying awake until like 1 am but then getting up around 7:30-8am. He naps whenever he pleases which I am wondering if we need to get him a schedule.

Where does your LO sleep? My LO sleeps in his bassinet still although that will have to come to an end soon. I guess that means DH and I will be putting his crib together this weekend. Perhaps we can get Nolan's room prepared the rest of the way this weekend.

28. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@mrskc: wow that's awesome! Go AJ!
    @Tidybee: we had the same issue with clamping down--I have a really strong letdown and I developed vasospasms, ouch! Glad to heard things are going better for you guys! I've heard that sometimes doing reclined/laid back nursing helps with the flow of milk? And I am also dreading the 4 month sleep regression...I've heard so many horror stories.
    @MrsRcCar: ah gotcha! I really hope clipping the lip tie helps then! Poor little guy. As for sleeping, L sleeps in his crib at night and sleeps in either his crib for naps (if we're home) or in the carrier or stroller if we're out. As for schedule, we don't really have a set schedule, but we put him down for a nap after he's been up for about 60-70 minutes.

29. JoeysMama

cherry / 117 posts

@mrskc: Congrats on 12 hours! That is so great!

@tidybee: Thanks! Just wondering...did you do anything to get her back on schedule and get a "normal" night's sleep? Or is it just having some normalcy after the craziness of the holidays?

@mrsrccar: I would dress him in something easy for you to change, since it will probably be a tough day for you. If you think you need to go dressy, maybe khakis and a sweater?

My LO's schedule is definitely a little weird right now! I think a combination of the holidays and being sick. I'm starting to try to get him on a schedule. I just started reading up on sleep training, since this is a good age to start it. I think we need a more concrete schedule before I go back to work next month!

30. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@MrsRcCar: I took DS to a funeral and just put him in a long sleeved onsie and some corderoy pants. Re where he sleeps. He sleeps in his bouncy chair at night. So scared to move him out of it since he sleeps so well in it! During the day we have started doing naps in his crib and sometimes in the swing.

31. MrsRcCar

grapefruit / 4712 posts

@JOEYSMAMA: thank you for your input about his outfit. I hope that your get out LO on a schedule before you go back to work. I am working part-time and would love a normal schedule.

32. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@mrskc: wow! that is incredible... I'm not sure what I'll do if James sleeps that long, ha! as it is he did 9 hours last night and I was up 2 hours before him waiting for him to wake. ha! but that 9-hour stretch was my first not pumping and it's getting easier to go longer.

@MrsRcCar: he's still in the rock n play in our room - but I want to try to get him in his crib SOON, i keep making excuses not to try it - but I think Sunday night we will.

@JoeysMama: we are also going to get some kind of schedule going especially before I go back to work!

33. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

Hi ladies, just checking in! I am continuing to finally get/be better, and tomorrow I will be away from C for the longest stretch! Leaving 6am or so to head 2 hours away for an agility trial with my dog.......I will be gone for 3 feedings (is it sad that's how I'm counting my time away?!) and really hoping she doesn't refuse the bottle! We usually give her one/two times a week, but last Saturday she full on in hysterics rejected the bottle, but that was after our travel and craziness, so she should hopefully be ok.....if not....white knuckle drive back early! Hope not, but will if needed of course. Wish me luck!!

Boobs finally don't hurt, and I went shopping for me clothes today (with C in carrier.....so didn't try anything on, lol) but it was fun to shop for me again!

I joined a Zumba with baby class that starts Monday, and starting 30 day shred Monday.....and starting physio, lol. I have $1500 in my health spending account, so I figure I might as well use it ($750 of it will expire this year) and hopefully it will help me get running sooner too.

Hope everyone is having good weekends.....any hockey fans? Congrats to US on Gold Medal We (Canada) totally blew last two games, so flat.

34. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

hope everyone is having a great weekend! we tried transitioning LO to her crib (and her own room) for the first time two nights ago. she had been having 8-10 hour stretches of sleep, but the first night she woke up after 4 hours (then went back to sleep for 7) and last night she woke up after 6 hours and went back to sleep for 4. anybody else experience a step back in their LO's sleep when transitioning to a crib? i hope it goes back to the 8-10 hour stretches soon! i have a lot of trouble falling back asleep after i wake up in the middle of the night and the sleep quality is usually not so good. so i'm tired!

@Beebug: good for you for getting back into exercising! i've been taking a few pilates classes here and there, but not a lot of aerobic activity happening at all.

35. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@Beebug: yay glad you're feeling better! Have fun today and good luck to you and the pup

@JessLC: we transitioned to the crib pretty early, at 4 wks so I don't remember there being an issue with messing up long stretches, as we weren't having them at that point but it sounds like she's slowly getting back to the long stretches? I hope so!

We went out last night and dh's parents put Lo to bed--first time anyone but us has done it. He was really easy for them and took the bottle no problem which is great. He also had a major poop this morning that somehow got all the way up his back to his shoulders! He got a bath after that one lol.

36. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@Beebug: glad you're feeling better and good luck with your dog! That Zumba with baby sounds like fun.

@JessLC: we haven't braved trying to move him to his crib yet. We did try to put him in the pack n play last night ( he's currently sleeping in the bouncy chair) and he woke up after an hour. I'm sure your LO is just adjusting and will get back to sleeping longer stretches.

@hilsy85: glad you were able to go out last night. We were supposed to have a date night but our babysitter ( my mom) got sick and had to cancel.

Last night we braved a restaurant with DS. went ok. I had to nurse him at the table and then he fell asleep and we put him in his car seat. We were both able to enjoy our dinner. Of course he screamed all the way home. He really doesn't like his car seat.

37. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@hilsy85: we probably should have transitioned to the crib at that point too! that's great that you and DH went out by yourselves. my DH and I still haven't gone out on a date by ourselves yet....hah. we've had a few poop explosions. it is usually when she is sitting upright on us and the poop has nowhere else to go but up. it hasn't reached her shoulders yet though! do you usually wash the poop out entirely before putting it in the laundry? i never know if it will stain, so i just wash it in the sink and scrub it until the entire thing is clean and then throw it in the laundry. but i wonder if i'm making more work for myself.

@mrskc: hope your LO's transition to the pnp goes well too! we will see how she does tonight...i find that when we are out eating at a restaurant with LO, i try to get thru the meal as fast as possible in case she starts fussing/crying! i need to stop doing that before inhaling my food becomes a habit.

i've been trying to institute a more structured routine these days...following what little i know about the EASY method from the baby whisperer. naps are kinda tough though - she doesn't always like to sleep and i'm wondering if we should try to make a bigger effort to help her nap, like rocking her and walking her around. usually we just let her fall asleep on her own and whenever she wants to. does everyone here have a strict routine that they follow during the day?

38. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@JessLC: We definitely don't wash out the poop as well as we should before washing, because the clothing usually stays stained, so we end up tossing it. When we do EASY, I do end up rocking him, wearing him, or taking him out in the stroller in order to get him to sleep for at least an hour...I'm really conscious of not letting him get overtired.

@mrskc: good for you! We haven't taken LO out to dinner yet, every time we're at a restaurant with him it's for brunch or lunch. Dinner is hard because of his bedtime. We'll have to figure it out though.

39. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@JessLC: we don't follow a strict routine but loosely follow an EASY routine. He eats about every 2 hours then we play a little. Then after he's been up for about 1-1.5 hours I try to put him down for a nap. I usually make an effort to get him to nap because I don't want to deal with him when he's overtired. I rock him or bounce him and usually swaddle him for his nap. And once or twice a day he naps in his swing. Usually it will lull him to sleep with out me having to do anything. His nap length varies from 30 min - 2 hours. Miraculously he napped 3 hours in his swing yesterday.

@hilsy85: what time do you put him down for bed? We went for an early dinner at 5. We were home in time for his bath at 7.

40. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@mrskc: We do like a 7/730 pm bedtime...DH usually isn't home from work til 6 so it makes going out earlier hard.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee