Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

October 2012 babies chat

1. Running Elley

coconut / 8681 posts

I just bought Colic Calm on the recommendations of @jenn23 and @turtledoves! Fingers crossed

2. Kemma

grapefruit / 4291 posts

Love the pictures of all the cute bubba's!

@TurtleDoves: I'm late replying to your bf'ing comment but just wanted to say you have nothing to be ashamed of and you're doing what's best for both LO and you so keep up the good work!

@hilsy85: I've had a bit of a dip in supply over the last week or so and I seem to have finally got it back up again, lactation tea and cookies for the win! I think part of my problem was that I wasn't taking in enough calories, I put on 9kg during pregnancy and have lost 17kg since giving birth so I need to make sure I eat and drink enough to keep my supply up.

Miss A was weighed on Tuesday this week and she's put on 800 grams (two pounds) in five weeks! She's been practising to roll over this week and can get herself up on her side now. We moved her into the cot on Monday night and she spun herself 90 degrees and then absolutely beamed at me when I went to check on her! She then took another hour to put back to sleep... Last night she spun a complete 180 but at least she put herself back to sleep.

Hope everybody's having a great week!

3. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@BlessedMama: ahh that first pic is the cutest!! Welcome

@Kemma: glad your supply is back up! Good excuse to eat some cookies, eh?

L has been a drool monster lately and has been shoving his fingers in his mouth. I think he's trying to suck his thumb but ends up with the wrong fingers It's very cute. He has also been spinning in his crib--if he weren't swaddled I would guess he'd be able to get his legs stuck in the slats!

4. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@beebug: thanks!! but...i am not seeing the group on my facebook page...should it be listed under the "Groups" header on the left hand side?

@joeysmama: 9.5 hours! that is so great! so envious. we are still at 6 hours, wake, 4 hours since transitioning her to the crib boo. it really isn't bad at all..but after a couple weeks of 8-10 hours of sleep, going back to this is so tough. anyway, my LO needs nursing and then rocking to fall asleep at night.

@blessedmama: @jenn23: @2peasinapod: your LO's are so so cute!

5. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@Beehive @Tidybee @JessLC: We've briefly mentioned doing an NYC meetup once the holidays were over, so I wanted to see if you guys were still interested? Our schedule is very flexible and L and I would love to meet you guys in person!! I think I got all the NYC area bees...

6. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@Running Elley: For diapers I use a combo of FB perfect fits (in smalls now) and BG's snapped down to smallest! I double stuff them all the time, and they work wonderfully! Hopefully your DH can get a line up for you, DH laughed at me when he came home from work one day and I put one up myself, lol.

7. LuLu Mom

GOLD / wonderful olive / 19030 posts

@JoeysMama: I'm an exclusive formula feeder, and we are still on size one nipples, we tried size 2 but it came out too fast and she is already a spitter so we didn't need to incourage more air getting in. I think we will stick with the size one's for awhile longer (She's 14 1/2 weeks)

8. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@mrskc: C drools like a crazy girl! People have told me lots of hair = teeth early, but I won't get thinking about it till I see it, she loves gumming/knawing on our fingers though, she can chew so hard!!!

9. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@JessLC: I just tried adding you again......let me know

10. LuLu Mom

Emme update: We took her to the doctor yesterday for her acid reflex/spitting up, and the doctor confirmed my suspicion that she's not gaining as much weight as she should due to her spitting up so much. We are having her diaper tested today to see if there is blood in poop to see if she's allergic to milk, if so we will be switching to Nutramigen or Alimentum, otherwise they will be putting her on a prescription to help settle her stomach. I really hope we figure something out soon, because I feel so bad about how much she spits up, luckily she usually is smiling through it!

She's really fun right now, smiling and giggling and yelling (aka talking) for just about anything! She is just about rolling over, she gets to her side and hasn't figured out how to move her arm yet to get over, soon though!

11. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

I am going to try formula today, 11am feeding for the first time. The last three night's she's been up between 1 and 4am, pretty much whole time (but really on and off) I think she's hungry. She's sucking her hand like crazy (so loud, lol) and when I do feed her she is crying, thrashing, freaking and I cry through that and it's making me hate my life, and of course now I'm not sleeping with her not sleeping. I am leaving her in crib, or in her room in darkness, but it's so off what her normal is, and I'm so crusty because of it. So going to take a stab at formula here this morning, and go from there.

Just did my third 30 day shred. I'm way too tired, but needed to get it done, still have this AF (almost two weeks straight now) and am just sick of looking like a slob, I want at least part of my body back and am ready to give up bf'ing at this point to get it....I'm awful, and I'm sorry. I feel totally guilty (don't want to tell anyone in real life) but just bleh......so not loving life right now.

12. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@jessiejo17: aw poor Emme! I hope you guys get some answers about what's causing her spit up...it's good that it sounds like she's not in too much discomfort though!

NYC ladies, I figured out how to do a group msg on the fbook group so will do that now!

13. Jenn23

persimmon / 1085 posts

@BlessedMama: She's so cute, as always! Glad you found this group. Sorry, didn't think to mention it to you on Facebook! I'm glad you found this thread.

@Running Elley: How did the Colic Calm work for you? I hope it helped!

@Beebug: I'm sorry you are having a rough time right now! Good luck with the formula. I had to switch to formula at 6 weeks, so let me know if you have questions. Also, I emailed you about the Facebook group a few days back. Did you not get it? Hope you can get a nap today!!

Is anybody here familiar with the four month sleep regression? Jay sleeps great, but I keep reading that around four months, many babies have issues. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

14. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@Jenn23: I didn't see email! Will check junk, but add me as friend via fb using that email and that's it! Then I can add you in!

Stupid question. When I prep a formula bottle, and then want to go out. Can I like pre-mix, and have it "ready", then take it with me (chilled?) And then warm it when needed? Or what do I do here? Haha clueless.

15. Jenn23

persimmon / 1085 posts

@Beebug: Forumla is only good once mixed for one hour, then you have to toss it! So you can't really pre-mix. I take one empty bottle, a water bottle, then some formula in another bottle to mix. I didn't realize you can add on Facebook by email? I thought you had to have the name. OK, I'll go try to figure it out. I'm so bad at these things! lol

16. Jenn23

persimmon / 1085 posts

Also, for any of you interested in saving on formula, we started with Enfamil. But then we did lots of research and talked to the pedi and realized that the generic (Up & Up at Target) and (Simply Right at Sam's Club) is LOADS cheaper. It's exactly the same as Similac or Enfamil (you can compare ingredients on the labesls, and FDA approved) and you save about 30-40%! So we don't use the Enfamil brand anymore. Since we are only using formula now, we're saving lots of money!

17. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@Beebug: yes it workes ! Thank you!! I'm sorry your having a tough time with the bf-ing you are not awful and don't be sorry! You are doing a great Job in doing what's best for you and your baby. Formula is not evil and you've made it this far with breastfeeding and that is something to be proud of. I think I read somewhere that breast milk is most beneficial in the first month...and you are way past that point! Don't feel guilty mama.

18. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@hilsy85: I'm still interested! Would love to meet all of you ladies and your babies.

19. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

I think I feel more guilty about feeling so selfish, I'm not anti-formula at all, just clueless on formula feeding, and wanting my body!

Of the last 41 days, I've been bleeding 28 of them? This was after 5w of pp bleeding? Like give me a break already! Sick of the night sweats, waking up soaked and shivering, and of course never being able to sleep without coverage for my top (leaking boobs) and bottom (bleeding) issues, we won't even go there with the flubby tummy, ha! I know I can be hard on myself with getting back in shape, but I've seriously had enough of all the post-partum crap. Like just wait....my hair will start falling out soon or something, just for an added kick in the butt, lol frig.

As you ladies know I have mostly great/positive days, but my low days? Omg! I'm so irritable today!

I just bailed on formula feeding her and gave her the boob, heading to my grandparents now, and bringing bottle and formula with me, but may go to my parents (empty house) to feed her next and then run some errands.

20. LuLu Mom

@Jenn23: Our peditirican told us this too, unfortanetly we had to switch to Gerber (still cheaper) because it was easier on Em's tummy as it's a broken down milk enzyme. But once she gets to eating solids I'm hoping we can switch to the generic brands! I woudl so use it if she didn't have such a sensitive tummy!

21. Jenn23

persimmon / 1085 posts

@jessiejo17: You couldn't use the "gentle-ease" one? That's what we are using. (The generic for it) For fussiness and gas it says on the front. Oh, you know what? I just remembered, it says on the front, "Partially broken-down" so maybe your Gerber is better because it is full broken-down? I hope you can switch to generic at some point!

22. Jenn23

persimmon / 1085 posts

@Beebug: My hair was falling out in clumps after I had Jay and was nursing! It stopped after a few weeks, thank gosh. I was worried I would go bald if it continued! Try to have a good afternoon!

23. Beehive

nectarine / 2054 posts

Sorry I have been MIA - just got back from our trip to Chicago to visit my parents and grandparents, which went really well. J was surprisingly good on the flights - not too much crying on either. On the way back he had a major poopsplosion during the time we had to stay in our seats in preparation for landing, and he was quite upset that he couldn't have his diaper changed immediately!

Welcome to all the new moms - everyone's babies are so adorable!

@beebug: I completely understand, I'm sick of feeling gross and not fitting into any of my clothes! I just joined a gym and am signing up with a trainer twice a week, and I will start eating well again now. I need to figure out how to cook again - we have been very bad about eating delivery food every night, but for me a major part of losing weight is cooking my own food, so that won't work anymore! I'm sure we'll get back to our original shapes soon. That's definitely one reason I am thinking about stopping breastfeeding after 6 months!

Is anyone else dealing with bottle rejection issues? J is so bad with bottles, he'll sometimes drink from them without too many issues but sometimes he just won't do it and cries when my husband tries to feed him. We have tried the basic Medela bottles that came with the pump and also Breastflow bottles, which have a slow flow and are supposed to resemble real nipples more.

@hilsy85 @jesslc @tidybee: I would love to meet you guys in person!

24. LuLu Mom

@Jenn23: Yep our doctor told us the Gerber is more broken down than any of the others, although we might be switching to the expensive stuff soon so it's even more broken down to see if that works to help settle her stomach.

25. Jenn23

persimmon / 1085 posts

@jessiejo17: Well, it is worth it if it will help her tummy! Do you use gripe water at all?

26. LuLu Mom

@Jenn23: Yes we've tried gripe water and gas drops, never made a difference.

27. BlessedMama

cherry / 125 posts

Thank you everyone

@hilsy85: A shoves her fingers into her mouth too and is a drool monster. She tries to fit the whole fist in there.

@Beebug: I sent you a request for the fb group too, thanks!

@Jenn23: That's ok Only a few more work days for you, right?

@Beehive: A refused the bottle for at least 3 weeks. I tried 6 different bottles and nothing. Finally I tried the evenflo (super cheap) and she took those a little better, then tried the dr. browns and she liked those the most. She is still fussy with them but will take it (which is good since I went back to work). I had to see a lactation consultant for a bf issue but asked her while I was there about the bottles. She suggested holding the bottle horizontally straight, not tipped all the way up and that seemed to help. I think the milk might have been too much, too fast. That way she can suck it at her leisure. Also try when LO is still half asleep at first until they get used to it. That worked too. Surprisingly she hated all the bottles that are supposed to resemble the breast. Good luck! I know it can be frustrating.

28. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@Beehive: me! Lo really hates the bottle. She took them fine for 2 weeks and then she just started refusing from anyone except my mom, which is weird. We had tommee tippee, mam, lansinoh momma and breast flow bottles. She likes the lansonoh the best but still doesn't like it. Its a battle to get her to drink. She will cry and turn her head, push it out with her tongue. We try to do 2 oz every other day so as not to waste too much breast milk. She has gotten better but still fights it. It is so so frustrating!!

29. 2PeasinaPod

pomelo / 5524 posts

@mrskc: Such a cutiepie!

@Beebug: I know exactly what you mean about feeling selfish that I wanted my body back. I felt like I changed my lifestyle so much for so long though with my GD during pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards. Now that I'm free of breastfeeding and pumping, I feel so much better. Let us know how the formula feed goes.

We started sleep training last night by accident. I had been rocking S for an hour and he was no closer to going down. It was 10pm already and I just needed a break from him. so I put him in his crib and sat in the rocker in his nursery and let him cry. He lasted 20 minutes before he found his thumb. Not bad at all! Until he got up at 3:20am and cried for an hour on and off. That was torture. I was about to go in at 4:20, but he had finally settled down. I felt awful for my husband. I don't know who was crying harder...me or S. So...day one of sleep training is in the books.

The good thing is, I talked to my dad today (who watches S 2 days a week) and he said he did the same thing during one of his naps the other day. He had been rocking him for almost 45 minutes, and needed to just put him down for a few. He laid him in his pack and play and let him cry for 5 minutes and he went to sleep on his own. So that made me feel a lot better that we'll have my dad's support. We both made a pact not to tell my mom (she immediately picks S up or gets extremely anxious when S cries). I'll keep you all posted on how the next few nights go.

30. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@Beebug: so sorry you've been having trouble with breast feeding I totally sympathize! I totally say go for formula if you want, but from what I've heard, it's really normal for babies to go through these periods where they freak out at the breast and want to nurse all the time, or act really fussy. And then it passes. So what I would say is don't quit on a bad day, and give it some time to see if things get better. But if you really feel like bf'ing is stressing you out, there's nothing wrong with formula! I totally hear you on wanting your own body back--this post partum thing has been just as hard as pregnancy sometimes.

@Jenn23: ack I am terrified of the 4 month sleep regression. Hopefully you guys skip it!

@2PeasinaPod: good luck!! Hopefully he finds his thumb more quickly and is able to put himself to sleep easily.

31. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@BlessedMama: I think I got you added, let me know if not

@hilsy85: I'm so crusty and bitter, and hate it. You're right about quitting on a good day vs. bad, I totally have been in a bad spot before, worked through it, looked back and thought what was I thinking!

C finally just pooped, first time in 23 1/2 hours, she usually poops twice in between when she did today, so somewhat of another clue/feeling she's not getting enough?

I am trying formula for 5pm feeding, it's warming in a mug now, I just feel like I have little/no patience for LO and there's no need for it, I'm just tired, bleh. Glad DH and I finally have an evening this week with nothing going on, I think I may skip our little road trip we planned for tomorrow night to watch hockey (that DH coaches), 2+ hours and then a stay at the cottage, then home Saturday, but I just want to stay home and try to get better sleep I think.

Ok, enough of my whining.

Cool story time? I was backing my SUV into our garage yesterday and C was in stroller as we were about to go for walk, and this woman was on sidewalk walking across our driveway and said "you're in Baby Zumba class". I live in a city, but man it feels like a small town at times! She lives just up the street from me, has a dog too, so we will see each other at class, but then maybe hang out or go for stroller walks someday too, kinda cool to meet another Mom!

32. CarrieLouWho

persimmon / 1408 posts

@BeeBug - yay for new mom friends! I lucked out and had one of the girls from our office built in - she had her baby a month before us, so it's great!

Anyone else with their LO's in daycare terrified of the first cold, flu, pnuemonia, RSV, etc?

My friend from work went to pick up her 4 month old at daycare on Wednesday and they told her she had been breathing a little harder throughout the day, so she took her to the dr. And they rushed them in an ambulance to a hospital b/c she had pnuemonia!!! She should be getting out today, but now I'm super aware of everything that LO does when she comes home... sooooo scary!

33. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@CarrieLouWho: Bah, that is so scary!!! Hope your colleague's LO is ok, and recovers well!

I brought C in bed with me at 6:30 when DH got up, and we slept in until 9:30. I needed it, and feel SO good! Going to go with the flow changing up the schedule today with that sleep in, hopefully can fit work out in, but if not....not going to worry about it! Not going on roadtrip planned for this after for hockey tonight, my Mom & sister are going to come over instead, pizza and junk food Friday, bath C, they'll like that, DH won't be home until 1am or so, so will be nice to have them over!

Happy Friday everyone.

34. 2PeasinaPod

pomelo / 5524 posts

@Beebug: For C not pooping, how old is she now? As S got older, my breastmilk started to change and he started pooping a lot less. He went from multiple times a day to once a day to once every two days to once every three days there for a while. And when he would have them, they would be massive. My BFF said that happened to her as well and apparently it's common in breastfed babies per our pediatrician. Once I started switching our 10am bottle to formula, he started going every day again. So, it might not necessarily mean that she's not getting enough...just that your milk is changing!

So, can I just say that I love my DH like nothing else? Last night, as we were getting S ready for bed, he told me to call a friend and go out for a drink while he put him to bed. I tried to protest, but he was like, "I can handle him crying...you go and have a drink. You need it. I'll call you if he gets bad." He's amazing. S cried for 27 minutes this time (which is fine since we had him totally unswaddled this time) from 9 to 9:27, then found his thumb and went to sleep. He woke up again at 4am, cried for 7 minutes and went back down. I had to wake him up at 6:30 to feed him and for us to leave for the day.

Thank goodness he didn't cry for long at 4am. I'm not sure I could take that again!

35. Jenn23

persimmon / 1085 posts

@JessLC: Did you get the test results, yet? I hope she isn't allergic to milk.

@Beebug: I sent you a friend request on Facebook yesterday. Did it not go through? Hope you are having a better day today. How did the formula work out?

@BlessedMama: Yep, one week from today is my last day at work, then I'll be home.

36. CarrieLouWho

persimmon / 1408 posts

Is everyone still swaddling their LO's at night?

@2peasinapod made me think about it... we've been using the miracle blanket since 5 weeks and LO will be 14 weeks on Sunday. I'm thinking we will need to start weaning soon, but I don't want to lose my good sleeper!!!

37. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@Jenn23: i think you meant this question for @jessiejo17

i just started perusing the blog Chronicles of a Babywise Mom and there is so much info there on baby sleep. Really interesting. I'm going to attempt to get LO on a schedule for naps, but we'll see how today goes! She is currently fussing in her crib after a 30 minute nap...

38. 2PeasinaPod

pomelo / 5524 posts

@JessLC: I have that one at home but I haven't started reading it yet. I didn't get a chance to read any of the books before I got frustrated with him not sleeping!

39. Jenn23

persimmon / 1085 posts

@CarrieLouWho: Yep, still swaddling during the night and he sleeps at least 7 hours, usually 8. I'm worried about weaning from the swaddle, too, because I doubt he'll sleep as well!

@JessLC: Oops, sorry! I'll check out that blog. Sounds good!

40. CarrieLouWho

persimmon / 1408 posts

@Jenn23 @2peasinapod - I just found this http://zipadeezip.com/ and am contemplating getting one so we're ready when it's time. It looks pretty new...

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee