Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Silva: I think the same! Going to pump very differently next time. If you take a hot shower before and drink a massive glass of water it might help too.

2. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@Silva: I also have a Pump In Style. But I've never turned the suction way up - usually only about half way works for me. How does it feel when you have it that high? Also, check out this site for some pictures on how the flange should fit: http://www.ameda.com/breast-pumping/getting-started/flange-fit - Basically only your nipple and a LITTLE of your aerola should be pulled into the pump. If your nipples are rubbing against the sides or too much of your aerola is being pulled in, the flange is probably not the right size and you'll have trouble pumping correctly. I had to size down with my Medela to get the right fit.

@Smurfette: Ugh, I WISH all we had to do was a finger prick! They took TWO VIALS of blood from Xander!!!!! Poor guy!!!! He was sooooo mad! And I'm honestly not positive what all their checking! Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Ugh, that sucks about the toddler tantrum. We haven't had that yet! The worst we've gotten is when Xander was trying to go up the stairs and Hubs told him "NO!" pretty firmly! Xander just started bawling! But I felt like it was more because of Hubs tone and volume than because he didn't get his way! But maybe I"m wrong.

@silver1: Sorry you had to endure a blood draw too!! I think the worst part for Xander was just being restrained - he HATES that. I was so glad when it was over! How long did it take before you got the results?

@jodyblair: I'm jealous your LO says "Bye-bye"!!! I try to get Xander to do it EVERY DAY when I pick him up from daycare and he just won't! He'll wave (sometimes), but won't say anything!!! Grrr!

3. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@Adira: so mine came with two sizes. With the smaller one, if I center it perfectly the nipple doesn't rub at all. I guess I have pretty small areola, and so they are definitely pulled in a bit. I tried the larger size, and I don't have to be as cautious about whether or not my nipple is perfectly centered, but obviously even more of the areoles is pulled in.
    I had it turned up because when I was pumping a bit before that was the only way I could get a let down. It's uncomfortable, but not intolerable. Although my nips are starting to get sore from all this useless pumping.

4. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

Just getting back from vacation and catching up.
    LO's name: Lukas
    Weight: 23lbs I think.
    Length: 30 inches I think. (We'll see this week)

Number of Teeth: 7

Clothing Size: 12 months but some are getting too small

Cruising, Crawling, or Walking: walking like a champ- running even

How many ounces of formula/BM/milk per day: 2 feedings of BM and cups of WCM with meals

How many solid meals a day (and how much):
    3 and 1-2 snacks
    Any Words: He signs a bunch, but isn't saying much. He babbles constantly but none of it makes consistent words.

Milestone you're most looking forward to: TALKING-- maybe he'll stop throwing fits if he can communicate

How's sleep going: Pretty good sleeps through the night 85% of the time. When he wakes up, it is only once. I hold him for a minute and then put him back down and he goes back.

Any plans for TTC: Not until at least late summer.

5. Adira

@Silva: If the smaller size fits so that your nipples don't rub against the size, definitely go with the smaller size - that will work better for you. And I totally hear you about having to center the nipples perfectly - it's annoying EVERY SINGLE TIME! Have you tried doing massages whiles pumping? Also, maybe looking at pictures of LO to trigger a letdown?

6. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Smurfette: H has started crying when she doesn't get her away as well. Like when you stop pushing her on her wooden bike or when you pull her away from the cupboard. Baby has a temper!

7. silver1

apricot / 338 posts

@Silva: They took one vial it was not a pin prick. I think the vial was smaller in size though? I'm scared of blood draws too and didn't look closely.
    @Adira: Aww poor Xander. J hates exam table with a passion let alone restraint. I just sat him on table and he started screaming. I was so glad when it was over it was hard watching. I couldn't believe when they tied J's arm for the draw. I thought for some reason it would be different for babies. Doc said 2 days for results and its for checking iron. Haven't gotten it yet. .

8. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

I feel so behind. Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes! We have our first daycare cold. We have all been sick all weekend. Isaac started Friday, then Saturday me, then Sunday DH. Daycare went way better today. By the time I left this morning he was calm and when I picked him up he just crawled over to me. Then we went for his one year shots. In 2 weeks he has gained 2oz.

@QueensBee: He has been taking 2-2.5 hour naps at daycare every day, he's never done this at home.

@keepcalmcarrie: What a big guy! Mama needs a nice massage for mothers day.

@Adira: His milk doesn't really get measured. I asked at daycare and it seems that he drinks a few ounces throughout the day. But he is also nursing and has plenty of wet/dirty diapers, so I'm not going to stress over how much I've decided. His teacher said he probably doesn't drink as much as other babies because he eats a lot of food.

@NavyRN2012: Running, that is crazy!

@jodyblair: Glad your joining back in.

@travellingbee: I wish Isaac would pick up on signing, I think it would make things easier.

9. Adira

Birthdays
    Feb. 20? - L (@dojo)
    Feb. 22 - J (@Mrs. High Heels)
    Feb. 26 - Xander (@Adira)
    Mar. 6 - K (@shopaholic)
    Mar. 11 - R (@Smurfette), Baby Dudes (@Mrs. Blue)
    Mar. 14 - L (@travellingbee)
    Mar. 17 - J (@silver1)
    Mar. 18 - K (@sheskrafty)
    Mar. 21 - Isaac (@ALV91711), Peter (@QueensBee)
    Mar. 26 - Vi (@Arden)
    Mar. 28 - C (@jodyblair)
    Apr. 9 - H (@AprilFool)

10. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

Alright, question re milestones/ language development. I know it's common for a baby to learn a new thing, and then not do it for awhile. Is the same true for words?
    My daughter was definitively saying dada and more, but about two weeks ago she learned "that?" (Which she says while pointing, at everything, all day, to learn what it is). Now it is all she will stay. She still has a ton of receptive language, like if I ask where dada is she goes to the door, thinking he is coming home. But she won't say it, even in contexts where she always used to (like when we wake him up or he comes home from work).
    This has been going on for two weeks. Would you guys be freaking out about regression? She still babbles and makes dada noises, but doesn't seem to be saying it to mean daddy in the way she used to.

Also, sorry to bombard you with a million questions. I'm so happy to be included in with you guys, it's really nice to have a sounding board.

11. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@Silva: When R learns/says something new, she will do it for a week and then she stops. Like when she started to clap, week later, no interest to do it. She can say Hey and Bye Bye, but rarely says them. I think she is like got that, let's move on.....

12. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@Smurfette: That is so good to hear. I sort of thought that was what she was doing, but I thought I'd see if other kids do it so I googled and the internet told me it was autism. So....I should stop googling, I guess. Its reassuring to hear that at least one other baby does it.

T does not like to perform. She can clap, give kisses, high fives, wave hi and bye (or really, just wave whenever you wave), etc. and will do them on command all the time at home- but if I try to get her to do it for anyone outside of our home she just stares at the person.

13. Smurfette

@Silva: yes, don't google!! I was shocked this morning, R actually waved bye bye to me. Usually she only does it at home.

14. sheskrafty

persimmon / 1165 posts

LO's name: Kelsey
    Weight: 18lbs
    Length: 29inches
    Number of Teeth: 6
    Clothing Size: growing out of 9 months but 12 months are still a little big
    Cruising, Crawling, or Walking: Cruising, and walking with a walker. I was dreading the walking but it is super cute!
    How many ounces of formula/BM/milk per day: I have no idea. Starting the milk/formula mix this week.
    How many solid meals a day (and how much): 3 meals, she eats the most at lunch. She would be happy eating only cheese, avocado and fruits for every meal.
    Any Words: Dada, Mama, Banana, WOW!, ball, and she’s getting extremely good at mimicking anything you say.
    Milestone you're most looking forward to: Walking and talking
    How's sleep going: Great! 12ish hours with a bottle during late morning. Naps are still iffy but getting better at daycare. Some days 2 20 minute naps. Some days 2 1.5 hr naps.
    Any plans for TTC: Yes! ASAP!! But my cycle is crazy now so I’m hoping things even out quickly.

Kelsey’s party was fantastic. I didn’t take very many pictures but am hoping other people took them AND send them to me. We had around 60 people and everyone loved the venue. The weather was perfect and kids loved playing in the nature center and in the outdoor area. They also actually wore the masks I made too! Kelsey was NOT into her smash cake. She stuck a finger in it and was confused and then pissed her hands were covered in icing. Very anti-climactic. The party couldn’t have gone better and I’m so glad we decided to have the big party, even if I’m just starting to physically and mentally recover.

15. Smurfette

@sheskrafty: Glad that they party was good!!

16. Adira

Just wanted to pop in and update you ladies! Xander's blood work came back and he tested normal for everything! Yay!

17. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

I hope you don't mind if I join in...

LO's name: B (boy)
    Weight: 25/26 lbs
    Length: 31.5 in

Number of Teeth: 12

Clothing Size: growing out of 18 m

Cruising, Crawling, or Walking: none... He still army crawls but pulls himself to standing

How many ounces of formula/BM/milk per day: no idea... He nurses twice a day (first thing in the morning and before bed), otherwise it's just water. Although his evening baby cereal (is this what you call it?) contains about 3 oz WCM

How many solid meals a day (and how much): 5 (BF, fruit snack, lunch, snack, above mentioned cereal)

Any Words: mama, papa (German for daddy), wawa (water) and book, everything else - I have no idea what he says but he is talking ALL DAY LONG...

Milestone you're most looking forward to: crawling or walking and him waving

How's sleep going: great, he just started sleeping through the night (as in at least 11h) at 11m without any sleep training. He takes one nap at daycare consistently. On the weekends he sometimes still takes 2 naps.

Any plans for TTC: We'll start soon, yikes...

@Silva: @Smurfette: my LO is also like that. He'll do something and then move onto the next thing. Then one day out of the blue he'll do it again as if he's always just done it. Silly babies...

18. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: ah that's so good to hear!

B had to have his blood drawn Monday, still waiting for results. We had to go for a check in due to us having to be in the hospital end of last week 'cause of a suspicion of meningitis. That was scary but thankfully it all turned out ok.

19. Adira

Birthdays
    Feb. 20? - L (@dojo)
    Feb. 22 - J (@Mrs. High Heels)
    Feb. 26 - Xander (@Adira)
    Mar. 6 - K (@shopaholic)
    Mar. 11 - R (@Smurfette), Baby Dudes (@Mrs. Blue)
    Mar. 14 - L (@travellingbee)
    Mar. 17 - J (@silver1)
    Mar. 18 - K (@sheskrafty)
    Mar. 21 - Isaac (@ALV91711), Peter (@QueensBee)
    Mar. 26 - Vi (@Arden)
    Mar. 28 - C (@jodyblair)
    Apr. 4 - B (@Pumuckl)
    Apr. 9 - H (@AprilFool)

@Pumuckl: Welcome!! And holy smokes TEETH!!! That's crazy he already has his molars!!! Sorry to hear about your meningitis scare, but glad it turned out okay!!

@Silva: @Smurfette: Xander's the same. He learned to wave a while ago and now I can never get him to do it! And he was working on saying "block" but now won't say it at all!

20. Smurfette

@Pumuckl: Welcome! And that is a lot of teeth. R is working on all 4 molars but the bottoms are super swollen and white. It looks so painful. I want a break from teething!
    @Adira: Glad he is ok!!

21. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Silva: H does it as well. I think they just want to be doing new stuff all the time.

@Adira: That's good news!

@Pumuckl: Welcome!

22. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: @Smurfette: oh the teeth I tell ya, this kid has no tooth that didn't cause a fever, so I'm just glad he is past the half way point. Although I've heard that the canines are the worst so bracing myself for when he gets those...

23. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@Adira: that's good to hear!

@Pumuckl: welcome!! don't mind at all - the more the merrier!

@Silva: no, don't freak out - sounds completely normal! the fickleness has begun...

24. Mrs. High Heels

@Adira: soo i came across this room today and thought of you because it reminded me so much of xander's bday theme!

25. Adira

@Mrs. High Heels: OMG, that room is amazing!!!! I totally want to copy it for Xander (but I'm way too lazy)!!!

26. Smurfette

@Adira: girl that would be easy to do! Such a fun toddler room!

27. Purpledaisy

nectarine / 2973 posts

Ok, I'm going to try to keep up with this thread this time!

LO's name: J
    Weight: 16 lbs 10oz
    Length: 27 inches

Number of Teeth: 5 but it looks like more are on their way!

Clothing Size: mainly 6 month (she's a peanut!)

Cruising, Crawling, or Walking: crawling, cruising and just started taking steps. She took 5 last night!

How many ounces of formula/BM/milk per day: no idea. I still nurse her 3-4 times a day and she gets almond milk in a sippy and maybe drinks a couple of ounces a day.

How many solid meals a day (and how much): 2-3 meals and 1-2 snacks. She eats mainly table food and has a pouch or two a day.

Any Words: she babbles and says mama and dada but I still don't think she has association with any words yet.

Milestone you're most looking forward to: walking!

How's sleep going: good. Usually 11-12 hours overnight and still on two naps.

Any plans for TTC: NO. We are planning a 3-4 year gap. (But I'll admit, I do get baby fever )

28. Mrs. High Heels

@Adira: looks like everything in that room is ikea... You can so do it, just paint the small shelves diff colors, and frame robot prints in those white ikea frames!

29. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

Argh the photographer I had organised for H's party just canceled on me. *cries*

30. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@AprilFool: Oh noooooo, any chances of finding a replacement?

31. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Pumuckl: I am going to try but I only have 10 days now and a very limited budget.

32. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@AprilFool: I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! Would you have a friend that it is somewhat camera savvy that could help you out should you not have any luck with finding a replacement?

33. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@AprilFool: oh no! I'm sorry, how stressful! Is there an art college in your area- maybe a college student would do it?

34. Smurfette

@AprilFool: oh no!!
    @arden: Happy Birthday V!!

35. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Pumuckl: Not really which is why we got the photog in the first place. Haha

@Silva: It was a student who was doing it for free which is why there is a limited budget to replace her.

I have some emails out so fingers crossed!

36. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@AprilFool: Really hoping you find a solution and those emails are successful!!! My fingers are crossed!

@Arden: Happy Birthday to Vi!

37. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Pumuckl: Thanks! Me too!!

@Arden: Happy Birthday to Vi!

38. Adira

@Arden: Happy Birthday to Vi!!!

39. Adira

@Mrs. High Heels: Would you believe that I've never been to an Ikea??

@AprilFool: Oh my gosh, that sucks!! I hope you're able to find a good replacement for your budget!

40. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Adira: You've never been to ikea?????

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee