Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@AprilFool: haha, yeah, we don't have one that's local to us! I think the closest is about an hour away, so I've never been!

2. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@Adira: You need to go one weekend and stock up on stuff for Xander!

3. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Adira: It's worth the drive! Ours is about 40 mins away. Consider it a day out

4. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@Adira: I've never been to ikea either! The closest is 3 hours away! This is also why all of our crappy furniture is from craigslist. I dream of a cheap ikea sofa.

5. Adira

@Silva: Yay! I'm not the only one!

@Smurfette: @AprilFool: haha, I know! I hear such wonderful things about Ikea! Maybe I can get my BFF to go with me sometime. Now that I'm not nursing/pumping all the time, it'll definitely be easier to go out and about for a day!

6. sheskrafty

persimmon / 1165 posts

@arden: Happy birthday Vi!!

7. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

We finally made it to L's 1 year check up (over a week late!) so I need to amend his stats.
    Weight: 23 lbs 2 oz
    Height: 31 1/4 inches

I've got a big boy! Everything else is fine- he is right on track for development and we were joking about his tantrums-- she said he is "advanced" because that is more typical at 18 months. LOL. I guess it is some consolation....? Eh, no thanks. I'd rather have a kid that doesn't pitch fits.

8. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@AprilFool: oh no!!
    @Adira: *gasp*, my heart! say it ain't so….
    @Arden: Happy Birthday, V!!
    @travellingbee: wow, sounds advanced!! hehe, can we skip the pitching fits part altogether? my 13 month old is starting to do that… i was hoping i had a few more months!

9. Adira

Oh - I just realized (wow, am I slow), all this talk of tantrum... Xander IS doing this! He does it EVERY SINGLE DAY when I pick him up from daycare!!! As soon as I start putting on his jacket, he just starts FREAKING OUT, arching his back, throwing himself backwards, crying hysterically, fighting me! I just thought he hated me, haha, but it's probably the beginning of tantrum season!

10. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Hi all! We had Pete's one year check-up yesterday with our new pediatrician in the 'burbs, so I can finally report his updated stats. He is 22 lbs 6.5 ounces and 29 3/4 inches! I am so relieved that he is growing in height! Until this visit, he had been in the 12th percentile for height and now he shot up to 44th percentile. I mean, I think he's adorable as a little shorty and I know he has lots of time to grow, but I was a bit worried about him being shorter than every other little boy and getting teased once he hits school! (Yes, I am crazy and was already worrying about something that *might* happen years from now.) Anyway, it feels good know that he is catching up.

The doctor also mentioned that we should try to limit the pacifier since I am concerned that he doesn't speak any words yet and doesn't babble very much (as it's always in his mouth!). So as of today, I am only giving it to him on trips out of the house and while he sleeps. It's a little rough but I can usually distract him when he starts to get fussy. He already has begun babbling much more during the day.

Other than that, we are settling in to our new home! Our furniture deliveries have finally started to arrive. We met a little 15 month old baby girl who lives a few houses away and we are having a playdate on Saturday. And, we finally found a church to join so we can have Pete baptized in May. After bouncing around the city for a few years, it feels really nice to start putting down some roots here!

One thing that I've learned since we've moved is that Pete hates sitting in shopping carts. He flips out when I try to put him in one. I think he feels insecure in the big Stop n'Shop ones. We never had this issue when we lived in Queens because I always had him in the stroller or Ergo. It makes grocery shopping very difficult! I am wondering if anyone else experienced this and found any strategies that worked? On our recent trip to Babies R'Us, he was screaming so much that I had to carry him while shopping and my arm was about to fall off by the time we got back to the car!

Okay, so excited that I actually have some time to catch up on the rest of the thread....

11. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Pumuckl: Welcome to the thread!! And wow, he is definitely the king of baby teeth on the thread! He is a good eater? Hope all your bloodwork results come back normal! When will you hear back?

@Adira: Never been to Ikea?! Oh my, you definitely have to take a trip! You always go for one or two things and then leave with a cart overflowing with stuff you didn't know you needed! Last year, I spent a Friday night there with two good friends and sadly, it was one of the most fun nights we had all year! We ate $1 ice cream cones and swedish meatballs and bought the most random but awesome things.

@AprilFool: Oh noo! Did they explain why they had to cancel? Any other options out there? How disappointing!

@Mrs. High Heels: @Adira: @travellingbee: Yes, I am joining the early tantrum club too! (see above post regarding time in shopping carts!) Has anyone read Happiest Toddler on the Block? I think I may try to check it our from the library and see if any of the tips work. And then I just pray that this phase passes quickly!

@travellingbee: He is a big boy! Glad he got a clean bill of health from the pediatrician!

@arden: Happy Birthday to Vi!!!

12. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I'm probably the queen of living close to IKEA, it's only a 5min drive on the autobahn for us. Those of you who haven't been should definitely go check it out and enjoy some swedish meatballs

@QueensBee: The pedi called me back with the results today and the two elevated liver markers are already falling. Thank god for that! But... A) we'll have to be back for another blood draw in 4 weeks B) he also has some weird virus that basically only causes a cold in people outside the womb but it can be potentially lethal to unborn babies so we have to stay clear of pregnant ladies for a while. We'll also have to let daycare know so should one of them be pregnant they can stay clear of B. I double checked with the doc though and he is allowed to go. So totally random...
    B is a really good eater so far - ha those 26 lbs. have to come from somewhere... He pretty much only eats table foods and the only thing I have discovered that he doesn't like so far is zucchini

Random but I definitely don't need weight training for my arms, my arms are so toned from shlepping around LO all the time

13. Mrs. High Heels

@QueensBee: Yes, I've read Happiest Toddler on the Block! This excerpt sums it up well - http://community.babycenter.com/post/a21190415/ffr_and_toddler_ese_whoa_it_worked_long_but_potentially_help

There are some blog posts related to that book as well. The ideas in it are similar to the ones in "How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk", but I like the latter book better.

14. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@QueensBee: thats rough about the shopping carts. T loves the shopping cart...its very convenient! What about one of those seat covers? It might make him feel more secure?

@Adira: I've started reading a little bit about parenting toddlers to try to prepare myself! I don't consider myself to be a particularly patient person, especially when I'm tired.

Tonight I thought to myself "I"m going to be terrible at this!" From 5 to 6:15 when I finally had dinner ready, my kid was just melting down. I mean, this is usually a rough time but tonight was bananas. She didn't want to be worn, didn't want to sit in the high chair, didn't want me to hold her unless my boob was in her mouth. Hard to make pasta that way. I eventually resorted to giving her puffs, and then a pouch right before dinner was ready! She still ate a ton, but I think I need some new strategies- I hate giving her what amounts to fruit puree right before a healthy dinner!
    I was at the end of my rope though. I am wondering if its because I'm getting my period- so maybe my milk isn't working as well for her or something? Oy. She was up a lot last night, too (4 times and then awake for an hour from 4:30-5:30). So I was exhausted and she was starving. Bad combo.

How do you guys get through that last hour until dinner? I'm teaching a class tomorrow so I"ll be gone from about 5 until probably 8:30/9- hubs is on his own and planning to make pad thai....good luck to him

15. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@QueensBee: That's a nice growth spurt! They said they had double booked and the other thing was unmissable. It sucks but what can you do.

@Mrs. High Heels: I am going to file that away for future tantrums.

@Pumuckl: Great news about the markers! What a strange virus for him to have.

16. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Silva: That hour is always the hardest. How many meals is T eating a day? I usually resort to food as well at that time. It is the best distraction I have.

17. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@AprilFool: 3 plus at least one snack in the afternoon. part of the problem today was that her snack was late, so I didn't give her a very big one & she was starving. I've been doing snack at 4:00 and dinner at 5:45 or 6. Tonight dinner was at about 6:10, and her snack was at 4:40 (but pretty small). I think I just need to bulk up the snack a bit.
    I was reading a bit in a book today about the importance of the afternoon snack- I'm always worried if she isn't hungry enough to fill up at dinner she'll wake up more at night- but it seems like she just needs more food!

as a side note- I've started making pasta sauces / pesto out of vegetables- I did peas last week, and broccoli this week, and its been a huge hit. Great way to bump up the veggie intake- I can share recipes if anyone is interested.

18. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Silva: I am quickly learning that 95% of her meltdowns are because she is hungry. Making the meals bigger is a good idea, I think they can eat a lot more than we assume.

I would like the recipes! Also is anyone doing smoothies yet? I need a quick and easy recipe.

19. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@AprilFool: ha! I realized they are both from smitten kitchen! I did bacon with the peas, and poached chicken breast with the broccoli.
    http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2012/10/spaghetti-with-broccoli-cream-pesto/
    http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2011/06/linguine-with-pea-pesto/

For smoothies I do maybe 3/4 - 1 cup of yogurt, a handful or two of spinach, a banana, and a handful of frozen berries- blueberries are best. If it's to thick I add milk or water until it's at the right consistency. I give them to her in take and toss cups for breakfast- super easy!

20. Smurfette

@Silva: we get home around 530, and I have 2-3 mins to get dinner. She has a snack at 330 at day care. I have been giving her goldfish in the car ride home to try and help her keep from napping (messing with bedtime). I can't cook, just have to reheat.
    @QueensBee: so glad y'all are getting settled. And yay! For a successful grocery trip today. He looked so cute in your IG pic!

21. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@Smurfette: oh man, that was my other thought tonight- what the hell am I going to do when I go back to work?! I have no idea how you manage everything. I'm going to have to get really good at crock pot meals or something.

22. Smurfette

@Silva: well DH is gone during the week so I really have no motivation to cook. She eats a lot of leftovers Mon-Thurs. I cooked last night so between that and leftovers from the weekend, her and I are good for the week!

23. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@Smurfette: oh, wow. How tough to have him gone all week! Leftovers it is! There was a helpful blog post about cooking a bunch of meals on Sundays, but I'm not sure I will ever be that motivated on a Sunday afternoon. I mean, I'd love to be the kind of person that is...but....

24. silver1

apricot / 338 posts

@Arden: Happy Birthday V!!!
    @QueensBee: Thatza nice growth spurt! and yay for settling in your new home!!!
    I want to update on J but stupid tablet with typing. Im still waiting for my powercord too cheap to get apple one. Anyway we just started table food boiledegg fordinner and J sat at table with us and ate some by himself! Its such a relief not having to feed himevery night it had become a battle lately.

25. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@arden: Happy Birthday V!!!

26. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

@QueensBee: Yay for getting settled and growth in height and meeting new neighborhood friends! Yikes on the shopping seat. K has never been a good sitter in anything. She still flops to the side, props her legs up, etc, in the shopping cart and restaurant high chairs. I think she just hates the loose seating. I try to put things on both sides of her if she's in a big shopping cart.

@Adira: @travellingbee: Oh man. I think we are on the brink of tantrums too. I actually wondered aloud the other day it the terrible two's could start at 1?

@Pumuckl: Hi and Welcome! I'll have to go back and read to catch up. But nice having another mama here!

@Arden: Happy Birthday V!!! Looks like you had a wonderful day!

27. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

Trying to catch up a bit here!

K's had a fever on/off all week. Plus extra-fussy eating. I finally felt the bottom 4th tooth break through. I think it was the worst today because I let K play with my computer mouse and she chewed it so hard the roller is off track and all wonky now! And she wouldn't nap this afternoon. Cried and cried in her crib for an hour. DH has been working crazy hours lately and expected to for the new couple of months. Get to do solo bedtimes now a lot too. On a positive note, I think K had a bit of a growth spurt! Her 6-12 month shirts and leggings are all suddenly short!

28. Mrs. High Heels

@shopaholic: aw I'm sorry it's been such a rough day! It must be so hard having to do bedtimes solo too after an entire day with no downtime. K's one year pics turned out beautifully by the way!! She is such a doll!

29. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: Aww, thanks and thanks! The good thing about her not napping is that she went down really fast! Now DH is home, he is running out to get us drive-thru for dinner. lol.

30. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Silva: ok that broccoli one looks divine! And thanks for the smoothie, that seems easy enough for me to try. And crock pot all the way, it has been my life saver even as a sahm.

@shopaholic: That sounds like a tough afternoon, at least that tooth has broken through now. I am so grateful for the hours DH works that he is home early enough for tea and bed time.

31. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@shopaholic: Ahh sorry to hear you had such a tough day. Hope today is better!

@Silva: I have the same problem so usually I resort to him having a 2 course dinner (that's a nice way of putting it - right? ) So he'll have some corn pops (we have some without sugar) or some leftover toast from breakfast to munch on while I prep dinner.

@Smurfette: My DH is gone during the week as well, so pretty often I just so don't feel like making anything to eat. (And when he's home its my hubs who makes dinner, he's the way better cook than me). Actually having the LO has helped me find at least some motivation in getting dinner made. It is still a struggle though

32. Adira

@QueensBee: Very nice growth for Pete!! Bummer about the shopping cart issue though! What a pain!

@Pumuckl: Oh yikes! That cold sounds interesting!! What a pain having to warn everyone about it! But at least B should be okay!

@Silva: I have heard that having your period can affect your supply, so that definitely could be an issue for you and your LO! And I have no advice about making dinner! Hubs and I usually feed Xander and put him to bed before we eat because it's such a hassle! Though once he's eating table foods, we'll all be eating dinner together, so I'll probably have to deal with what you do! It's definitely hard doing ANYTHING when you have a super clingy baby!! We're only really good at getting things done when one person can focus on Xander while the other does stuff!

@shopaholic: Awww, sorry K hasn't been feeling well and has been a fussy pants! AND that you've been basically having to deal with it all on your own! NOT fun!! Hope things get easier soon!

33. Smurfette

@Silva: Yeah I just can't see myself spending all day on Sunday cooking. Esp. when that is the only time I get to spend with DH and R. It sucks. I do need to start cooking though. Even if I cook it the night before for the next day. I was going to cook a calzone tonight but then thought by the time I get home, preheat the oven and cook it, it is going to be her bath time. Just not enough time.
    @silver1: Yay!
    @shopaholic: Sorry you had another rough day. Yay for growth spurt!
    @Pumuckl: I just don't have the time to cook once we get home. It is just easier to nuke something.

R isn't taking a longer nap at day care most days. I think other kids are waking her up and then she just wants to play. Then she falls asleep in the car and it screws up bedtime. So then she is even more tired the next day. Rinse and repeat. I hate seeing her so tired.
    I have tried opening and closing the window, sunroof, squeaking Sophie, sippy cup with water, bowl of Goldfish, and some days it will work and then yesterday she passed out holding her sippy cup and goldfish bowl. She didn't go to the bed till 8 last night and was up at 6
    I can see both bottom molars. It looks so painful. I hope they break through soon. I hate seeing her in pain.

34. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Smurfette: I totally get you on the short naps. My LO sometimes only naps for 20' total. Sometimes its not even a minute in the car until he is sound asleep. The naps did get better with time in daycare though. He just seemed to get used to the noise. I'm lucky though that even if he falls asleep in the car its only a 5-10' drive so it doesn't seem to disturb bedtime.

I hate the molars! Every tooth is like 2 or 3 teeth previously because each peak comes trough separately. B was teething yesterday too, his bottom right molar peaked the second time. I just hate to see him in pain

35. Smurfette

@Pumuckl: Everyone told me that once she moved out of the infant room and they would all nap at the same time, she would nap better. I hope it starts soon. She is just a nosy little girl, she doesn't want to miss out. I know the two other boys that moved up with her, are having a hard time adjusting. Hopefully they adjust soon and they all start napping longer. I mean there is only 7 kids in the room!
    How long did the molars take for B?

36. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Smurfette: I think it took B a little over a month to fully adjust to sleeping with so many kids. BUT he also started daycare so it might be quicker for R! I keep my fingers crossed!!! Hmmm, I'm trying to remember how long it took the molars to first break through. I believe it was white and swollen for probably a week or so? Then we had a day each were they broke through and his gum was actually bleeding... So not nice... COME ON stupid molars make an appearance and then leave our kids alone!

37. Smurfette

@Pumuckl: Yeah she has been in day care since 12 weeks. She has had a couple 2 hours days. I just wish everyday was that. They have 3 hours set aside for naps.
    Damn molars! She has been teething since August straight. I am so over it. Thanks for the warning the molars will each take a couple days to break through.

38. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Smurfette: I hear ya on being over teething... B also got his first two teeth in Aug (so at 4.5m)...
    I saw your other thread on the pain meds: I acctually only give him pain meds if he is also running a fever which he always does when a tooth first breaks through. He gets globules on days where he has no fever but is in pain and LOTS of cuddles.

39. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: It totally is a pain and how the h*** am I supposed to know who is pregnant (like early pregnant when you not see anything yet).

40. Adira

@Pumuckl: I don't know! I guess you just have to warn everyone????

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee